Supanova Melb tomorrow, whos going?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Supanova Melb tomorrow, whos going?

Post by TheMyth on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:00 am

i'll be there with my cheap comics mits on. may pic up a toy or two, but unlikely.

I'll also be showing some comic artist love, the actors can go take a hike.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Supanova Melb tomorrow, whos going?

Post by the dirty digger on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:46 pm

I'll be there in the arvo. I'll be the one with the daughter dressed as Wonder Woman with her sword.

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Went to the Perth one today.....seemed like a much bigger turnout this year, and tons of people dressed up....as per usual some good and some bad, caught up with Paul from Figures Direct. Said hello to some of my students....Entered the art comp, showed my work to Dave Gibbons.. who signed my Watchman Trade and did a quick Rorschach head sketch....missed out on a Tim Sale sketch card but eventually he signed a couple of my books......Picked up an Afro Samurai dvd and refused to join the 30mtr line for food....highlight of the day was crushing a 12yr old in streetfighter 4 firstly with Ken (who no one else ever uses) and then with crappy old Dan.....I believe he was 'pwnd' or something like that.......was gonna take some pics of the cos players but didn't seem right being a 32 yrold teacher at a catholic school taking pics of scantily clad teenagers.....special mention to the chick who was dressed as Leia, the white queen, and the guy in the skintight Deadpool costume (who was pretty good at king of fighters) who knew?......

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Sounds excellent! It's too long till this gets back to Melbourne.
Oh congrats on your 'pwning' as well.

the dirty digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:26 pm

The Dr Of Style wrote:special mention to the chick who was dressed as Leia, the white queen, and the guy in the skintight Deadpool costume (who was pretty good at king of fighters) who knew?......

Spotted Deadpool and Slave Girl Leia but didn't see White Queen. I did spot a Dr. Strange, a Ms. Marvel and some goth chick with some insane cleavage ... wowsers. Was hoping to see more long boxes filled with back issues but I guess there's more money in the anime market. Fun day out though.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Yeah Doc Strange was good......ms marvel was hanging out with deadpool and I have a feeling i also saw the table top cleavage lass....I did go with my list of individual comics i was after but only one guy selling back issues this time around so didn't find anything.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 am

First Supanova for me.....wow!, what a busy couple of days! Thanks to the Doc of Style and Bolo for dropping in and saying hi Smile
In speaking with the organisers on Sunday arvo, they reckon some 9,000 attendees over the two days.......easily surpassing last year's event.
Got myself a few autographs: Jake Lloyd, Dave Gibbons and Karl Urban (who at one point visited my stand and browsed).
All in all, a great time had by yours truly Smile

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Its wrong having to pay for autographs isnt it???
I hate it, and what supanova is becoming isnt very nice.

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:56 pm

Don't know what the movie type guests were charging for promo shots/signing but Dave gibbons was free & Tim Sale was happy to sign stuff for 10 min each hour for free (in between doing inked sketches)....the ginger meggs guy seemed to do it for free too. I'm guessing the gig for the movie stars includes airfare/accom/ an appearance fee for doing a Q & A then they can do whatever they want to earn stuff on the side...kinda like what used to happen with wrestling shows back in the day or on the indie circuit

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:58 pm

So what were the comic guys doing in the not free signing time? Did you have to pay for a sketch to get a signature? Last time I went (I forget which year), I had to pay for a sketch by Alex Maleev. Those used to be free... Having said that he spent a bit more time on it than they used to, and if it's an artist I like I'm not worried about paying for some art.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:01 pm

TheGoodDr wrote:First Supanova for me.....wow!, what a busy couple of days! Thanks to the Doc of Style and Bolo for dropping in and saying hi Smile
In speaking with the organisers on Sunday arvo, they reckon some 9,000 attendees over the two days.......easily surpassing last year's event.
Got myself a few autographs: Jake Lloyd, Dave Gibbons and Karl Urban (who at one point visited my stand and browsed).
All in all, a great time had by yours truly Smile

was it well worth your time having a stand Doc? would you do it again?

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:03 pm

drspleen wrote:So what were the comic guys doing in the not free signing time? Did you have to pay for a sketch to get a signature? Last time I went (I forget which year), I had to pay for a sketch by Alex Maleev. Those used to be free... Having said that he spent a bit more time on it than they used to, and if it's an artist I like I'm not worried about paying for some art.

you will very rarely get sketches for free. They have become the comic artists bread and butter. they will sign anything though for nothing.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'll most likely do it again next year. This year I shared a booth/stand with one of the local Comic Shops here in Perth (Quality Comics). We opened up our stand so that people could come in and get up nice and close to the merchandise. Next year we plan on sharing a double stand as we were both quite taken aback at the sheer volume of people in attendance and at just how busy our stand would get from time to time over the course of the weekend.

In terms of paying for autographs......I don't mind. These are people who have travelled a long way and in all likelyhood, don't get a huge pay packet for coming down-under. Also, it makes getting free autographs even more special when the expectation is that you should be paying for something like this.
To pay $30.00ea to have someone you admire sign something personal 'to you' isn't a price at all in my opinion. And in most cases, you get to say a few words to these people at the same time.
Having Dave Gibbons sign my Watchmen book for free was a real treat.

Bumping into a celebrity and getting an autograph is one thing. Going to a convention and getting one is something entirely different.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm

TheGoodDr wrote:Yeah, I'll most likely do it again next year. This year I shared a booth/stand with one of the local Comic Shops here in Perth (Quality Comics). We opened up our stand so that people could come in and get up nice and close to the merchandise. Next year we plan on sharing a double stand as we were both quite taken aback at the sheer volume of people in attendance and at just how busy our stand would get from time to time over the course of the weekend.

In terms of paying for autographs......I don't mind. These are people who have travelled a long way and in all likelyhood, don't get a huge pay packet for coming down-under. Also, it makes getting free autographs even more special when the expectation is that you should be paying for something like this.
To pay $30.00ea to have someone you admire sign something personal 'to you' isn't a price at all in my opinion. And in most cases, you get to say a few words to these people at the same time.
Having Dave Gibbons sign my Watchmen book for free was a real treat.

Bumping into a celebrity and getting an autograph is one thing. Going to a convention and getting one is something entirely different.
Yep, agree 100%.....Also the Syd nova is very costly to have a booth, is it bad there, and is Dan still running it?

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iNsaneMilesy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Speaking of conventions, when is the next on in Melbourne?

iNsaneMilesy

Number of posts : 32
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2009-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:04 am

Not for a few months yet. April 16-18 2010.

the dirty digger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iNsaneMilesy on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:20 am

the dirty digger wrote:Not for a few months yet. April 16-18 2010.
Supanova or just any geek convention?

iNsaneMilesy

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-06-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 am

the last supanova i went to was pretty dissapointing, although I dig anime I think they should have a seperate anime convention so comic geeks can have an event again!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by justice on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:37 pm

iNsaneMilesy wrote:
the dirty digger wrote:Not for a few months yet. April 16-18 2010.
Supanova or just any geek convention?

Armageddon is back in Melbourne on the 17th & 18th October 2009 at the MECCA. Armageddon and Culture Shock Events will also be running a collectors show in Sydney in early March which will consist of dealers and guests signing only (similar to the LA Collectors Fair held at the Shrine Auditorium). You can keep an eye out for details of both events at www.cultureshockevents.com

justice

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:45 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top