Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The worst art in the world??

Post by ragericho on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Well the art is really good but he just screwd up the chest,the guy has wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to much time on his hands to rave on about fantasy art thats not realistic enough Rolling Eyes

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:30 pm

in the end it's just comic art. people need to get over it.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:31 pm

I freakin' love that site. I pissed myself laughing the first time around, and it was no different the second time Very Happy

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I can't believe so many people still rip on Liefeld!!!!
I mean I was never a fan of his but still give the guy a break...I think the reason so many people destroy the guy is because he became so successful during the Image boom...

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Number of posts : 261
Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Trading Status : -5
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:41 pm

actually I take that back, this link is rather amusing.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:48 pm

I should probably mention that I have no knowledge of comics, artists or anything in that basket. I just think the drawings, and then the reactions, are rather funny Wink

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:55 pm

I think the thing that annoys people the most is that he is considered a professional in his field.
I know when I used to collect comics, I would always cringe whenever I saw something was given to him.

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Howard Chaykin.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by HAL on Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 pm

TheSweetestThing wrote:I freakin' love that site. I pissed myself laughing the first time around, and it was no different the second time Very Happy

Yeah, me too. I think it was Bolo who first posted that link way back, and yeah the guy should get ripped on, his work`s awful, like some warped caraciture of 80`s excess, which would have been clever if intentional, but it wasn`t, he`s just a crap artist

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BigSi on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:23 pm

You know, it's funny, but I've actually been a bit of a fan of the guy since the New Mutant days - he's produced more than his fair share of crap over the years, but when he actually hits the mark, the result's pretty cool. I just wish he'd learnt to (a) spend a reasonable amount on time on one project instead of promising to deliver a stupid amount, and (b) that he put more time into getting that work out in a timely fashion rather than never-ending solicitations.

The funny thing is, while Liefeld cops the most flack, most of the Image founders are guilty of over-rendered, cookie-cutter face/expressions, repetitive character designs and over-committing/under-professionalism. But then, imho, the best stuff to come out of the Image stable has been the work produced by those that have come since the initial guys (although, to his credit, Erik Larsen is a machine - how many issues of Savage Dragon has he managed to crank out now?)

Cheers,
Si

BigSi

Number of posts : 72
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2009-03-06

View user profile http://www.redbubble.com/people/simonsherry

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 pm

Pixo wrote:Howard Chaykin.

Was thinking the same thing Pixo. Liefeld isn't the best in the business but he also isn't the worst. While I do laugh at his expense, Liefeld's New Mutants/X-Force got me back into comics. LOL Cap Boobs!

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:54 am

Chaykin is responsible for me dropping Punisher and his one-shot Captain America I cannot get past the first page.

There is another artist I'll nominate who did a single ASM shortly after the Iron-Spider suit debuted during Civil War, but I'll have to find it. That single issue seriously made me think about dropping ASM had he continued.

Of course, then they did Brand New Day and I dropped it anyway.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:03 am

Pixo wrote:There is another artist I'll nominate who did a single ASM shortly after the Iron-Spider suit debuted during Civil War, but I'll have to find it. That single issue seriously made me think about dropping ASM had he continued.

Was it Tyler Kirkham in ASM#531?

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:03 am

That was funny. Liefield always did seem like a tool and his stories were crap. Great stuff!
There was one artist who I'd like to throw in an acid bath and then beat to death with a rolled up newspaper for spoiling the brilliant 'The Authority' for me after Frank Quitely had made it so sexily memorable.
Think his name was Dustin Nguyen. It was something Nguyen anyway. He illustrated like Snip. Easy there tiger - simmo

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 am

It can't be Dustin Nguyen! He is a superb artist....He was working on a Detective Comics stint with Paul Dini....

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:23 am

the dirty digger wrote:Think his name was Dustin Nguyen. It was something Nguyen anyway. He illustrated like a deformed retard whose parents had been snorting agent orange through their teen years.

The dude from 21 Jump Street! I actually prefer Nguyen's work on Batman more than his work on Authority.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:26 am

BigSi wrote:You know, it's funny, but I've actually been a bit of a fan of the guy since the New Mutant days - he's produced more than his fair share of crap over the years, but when he actually hits the mark, the result's pretty cool. I just wish he'd learnt to (a) spend a reasonable amount on time on one project instead of promising to deliver a stupid amount, and (b) that he put more time into getting that work out in a timely fashion rather than never-ending solicitations.

The funny thing is, while Liefeld cops the most flack, most of the Image founders are guilty of over-rendered, cookie-cutter face/expressions, repetitive character designs and over-committing/under-professionalism. But then, imho, the best stuff to come out of the Image stable has been the work produced by those that have come since the initial guys

pretty much agree with everything you said, for me his run on mutants/xforce was great back in the day....at the time it just seemed "cooler" than avengers type books, he has made some great characters along the way but as outlined above I think the endless rehashing of other ideas (fighting American etc)and trying to create endless new licenses spread himself way too thin......As a bit of an artist I'm still amazed at guys who churn out pages day in day out....I definately couldn't work like that.....and hence the cutting of corners (no feet, hands or backgrounds.... same characters with a twist, attrocious deadline missing, and his infamous "homages" ie tracings of others work) catches up with you....

He cops a lot of flack others dodge.....read the first 60 odd issues of spawn and you end up reading the same story every 10 issues when Violator turns up

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:09 pm

The thing with art is you can judge it on whatever terms you like, even conflicting ones. Liefeld's faces are screwy, but at least he's not Greg Land 'drawing' the same few photorealistic traced women faces over and over and over again.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:19 am

YJ wrote:The thing with art is you can judge it on whatever terms you like, even conflicting ones. Liefeld's faces are screwy, but at least he's not Greg Land 'drawing' the same few photorealistic traced women faces over and over and over again.

God I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds Greg Land's art bad...It's so boring and stiff...Like everyone is posing on a runway in each panel...Marvel should keep him on covers (if they have to keep him at all) and give Dodson the sole art job on UXM...

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 am

I know a Jessica Alba photo is one of them Land traces. Theres a 34 page thread on Newsarama on Land's 'referencing'. If you look at his cover for UXM#500 you can spot the same heads. Terry Dodson is a much better artist, but to be honest I don't care much for him either, he's all big tits and not a lot of substance.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:20 am

That's all the substance I need.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:58 am

simmo wrote:That's all the substance I need.

Me too....

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top