SUPANOVA

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SUPANOVA

Post by Juggernaut on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:19 pm

The Dr Of Style wrote:has he done DC stuff? seemed like a strange request....

will probably head down sat arvo, would like to catch the Ashley Wood panel.....says on his page he's doing signings afterwards but no place in the venue marked down for this....

Got a nice (20 second) sketch & signature by Dave Gibbons in 2010(?) on the first page of the hardcover watchmen TPB while he was at the Kings comics table, had a nice chat as there were only a few people in the line...... might use the same tactic for Moore with my Walking dead hardcover, will probably bring a 3A toy box and try and get Wood to sign that

Yeah, Moore hasn't done any official DC stuff to my knowledge, but I've seen some awesome sketches/commissions of the Batman Rogue Gallery (Scarecrow, Joker, etc) off ComicArtFans.com. Like I said, still tossing up ideas, and will probably see what he thinks is a good idea as well (he has some awesomely random zombie meets pop culture ideas off that same website).

Re: Gibbons; that was totally surreal meeting him, as there was only 5 (unenthused) people queuing in front of me to get signatures. Gibbons is awesome!

I'd definitely recommend people get commissions off these artists (especially Moore for only $20!).

Juggernaut

Number of posts : 190
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2011-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am

Juggernaut wrote:Thanks BoloMusashi Very Happy . Did you pre-organise your commissions with Peter Nguyen?

Yeah I contacted him via DeviantArt before he left the US.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:29 am

Hey is that girl dressed as Six in the red dress above the girl who works in Daily Planet in Brissie? Her face looks familiar..

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 pm

strange I hadn't noticed her face Shocked thumbs up 2

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:17 pm

wow huge turnout this year, thought I'd be ok arriving at 2 but man there were a lot of cars & people.....got Tony Moore to sign my book, gave up waiting on Ashley Wood, nice guy but he was having 10 min conversations with each person and I was 10 deep back in the line.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:09 am

I went on Saturday, as the Eleventh Doctor. Had fun, bunch of photos/hugs with people, got to meet Christopher Lloyd and buy TDKR Movie Masters, but the crowding was too much - it was impossible to get anywhere inside until about 4pm. Never got close to Popcultcha, and even swinging by FiguresDirect was difficult. They really need a bigger venue next year - the Convention Centre or even the Burswood Dome would suffice.

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:57 pm

I went both days, and had a blast! Most of the first day was spent getting Commissions organised with the comic book artists, getting signatures on a plethora of comics/graphic novels, and attending a few interesting panels. Saturday = business day.

Sunday was good fun, walking around and checking out all the stalls, listening to a few more panels, and collecting the commissioned artwork. My wallet now has a huge hole in it, and I may be eating canned food for a couple of weeks, but hot damn those commissions are to die for. Very Happy

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:31 pm

to coin an internet classic "pics or it didn't happen"
I kept toing & froing on getting one by Chamba Cruz his prices were fair and his samples looked great......in the end I only had a couple of hours there so signatures and a quick look around is all I could manage.....bigger venue please next time as numbers were definitely up this year

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Haha, true that. I haven't done any scans yet, but here are two photos, taken by David Yardin and Peter Nguyen, respectively:

http://davidyardin.tumblr.com/post/25768234942/gambit2

http://petervnguyen.tumblr.com/post/25790964076/venom-taken-with-instagram

I can upload the proper scans, as well as the other commissions, later this week.

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:09 pm

The shading on Venom is just awesome. How long did they make each commission of artwork?

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 pm

sher1888 wrote:How long did they make each commission of artwork?

How do you mean exactly by "How long"?

In regards to time span taken, I kind of walked past the artists throughout the day, and saw work in progress', and each artist varied from approx 1-2 hours per piece.

In regards to length, most of the art pieces are done on paper of approx A4 or 11x14 size.

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
sher1888 wrote:How long did they make each commission of artwork?

How do you mean exactly by "How long"?

In regards to time span taken, I kind of walked past the artists throughout the day, and saw work in progress', and each artist varied from approx 1-2 hours per piece.

In regards to length, most of the art pieces are done on paper of approx A4 or 11x14 size.
Meant time span Embarassed Sorry.

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:59 pm

It's all good Very Happy

I was 9th in line for Jim Cheung (my most desired commission), and organised a Wolverine from him for Sunday pickup. He nearly didn't get around to doing it, had I not reminded him at around 3:45pm. He was a champ, and did it within about 45 mins. That guy is a perfectionist, too! Very Happy

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:01 pm

I managed to get 3 from Peter Nguyen (Daredevil, Taskmaster and Batroc the Leaper), 2 from Chamba (Iron Fist and Taskmaster) and 1 from Emily Smith (Zatanna). I was sick for most of the weekend so I didn't have the patience to line up or the energy to arrive early to get anything from David Yardin or Jim Cheung.

I'll scan my sketches in when I'm back in the office as I'm still crook and working from home. In the mean time here's what I've been able to swipe from DeviantArt and PN Tumblr page:

http://thechamba.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d54tx65
http://instagr.am/p/MS1qHcFpuW/

I think the show will need to move to a bigger venue next year as it was impossible to get anywhere fast. And would it kill for them to have a coffee cart that sells something other than the world's smallest coffees! No coffee .. Bolo get mad

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Juggernaut wrote:It's all good Very Happy

I was 9th in line for Jim Cheung (my most desired commission), and organised a Wolverine from him for Sunday pickup. He nearly didn't get around to doing it, had I not reminded him at around 3:45pm. He was a champ, and did it within about 45 mins. That guy is a perfectionist, too! Very Happy

According to another sketch collector, Yardin and the boys were doing overtime in the lobby Saturday night. Those guys were super busy, which hopefully means return trips especially for local talent like David - was really hoping to get a Taskmaster off him to compete against Whilce Portacio's one from last year.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Wow, those all look fantastic! Nguyen was such an awesome guy

Yeah, I was battling my own Cold and swollen thumb, but hell or high water, was relentless to get those commissions Very Happy

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 am

Well, it's that time again; Supanova Perth is on this weekend! Very Happy

Perth members should seriously consider attending (if you don't already plan on), because the talent is amazing!

Chris Claremont, George Perez, Alex Saviuk, Mark Brooks, and more! Shocked

Check out my article here for the complete lineup!

http://www.fruitlesspursuits.com/2013/06/supanova-perth-supastar-guests-of.html

Juggernaut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Doing my best to go but wifey is working sat and sun so I only have a 1.5hr window sunday morning to visit....probably not this year sadly

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 pm

I couldn't believe how cramped it was. There were times where you just stood there for 5 mins because you couldn't make any progress. Even SDCC wasn't as bad when I was there.

fishmilkshake

Number of posts : 423
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Yeah, Perth last year was repulsive. REPULSIVE. I went as Matt Smith Doctor with my professional photographer friend and we were both horrified by how difficult, nay, impossible it was, just to move from one side of the event to the other, let alone try to buy anything. She was taking some photographs for the event but inside the venue it was basically impossible to get any shots of the people in costume - I've never seen an event be so cramped, to be honest, and I've covered E3's and so on. They need to move it to a better venue. I have friends going tomorrow who can relay how crowded it is, but I doubt I'll be going.

Shocka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 am

I also think they need to reign in some of the vendors like Popcultcha. Their insistence for storing stock in the middle of their booth and lining the outside with goods means people are stopping in the walkways to look at stuff which means the flow of traffic comes to a halt.

fishmilkshake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:18 am

Absolutely!

Shocka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:43 pm

These cons are usually packed, it doesn't help when people are taking a huge space on the floor posing in costume and taking photos, the costumes are awesome and all but people should try and save that kind of activity for the lesser packed hallways and outside IMO

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Mahzian wrote:These cons are usually packed, it doesn't help when people are taking a huge space on the floor posing in costume and taking photos, the costumes are awesome and all but people should try and save that kind of activity for the lesser packed hallways and outside IMO

My two least favourite cosplay items are wings and weapons. There was a girl at the con with this huge hammer she carried on her shoulder. Every time she turned people were ducking.

fishmilkshake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightcrawler on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Sorry guys I've been out of the loop for some time on this forum but have volunteered at the last two Supanovas at Gold Coast and Brisbane. Got drafted to the photo booth so quite a bit of interaction with the guests and their managers which is cool. Most of them are pretty down to earth and friendly. Met George Takei and Nichelle Nichols which was awesome and the most recent one Nick Frost, and Barbara's Feldon and Eden. Overall however, the treatment of volunteers is pretty poor and next time I'd rather pay to go for a day than be a slave for a weekend.
Just sayin'.

Nightcrawler

Number of posts : 225
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next