Event burn out!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Event burn out!

Post by TheMyth on Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:37 am

so after Final Crisis and Secret Invasion I fell a little burnt out.

it seems I have dropped most of my titles, but I'm looking forward to:

Flash Rebirth
Blackest Night
Battle for the Cowl

I don't really consider any of these "events", more like crossover / mini's

anyway, just some thoughts, anyone wanna share theirs?

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Event burn out!

Post by Otter on Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:30 am

I am a Marvelite so I am enjoying Dark Reign. All the Avengers books are a great read since the team line up changes after secret invasion.
DC Blackest night sounds cool. I havjust finished book 1 of the sinestro corps and I have read about Blackest night.
Unfortunately I feel DC has too many cross over/tie in events thats why I dont collect them, I cant affore em.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:41 am

Final Crisis was a giant hash up in my opinion, I'm not the smartest guy so maybe I missed something but it was just a giant convoluted mess for me!

I'm also looking forward to Flash Rebirth (all hail Geoff Johns!) and being a batman and gl fanboy the others are given for me also.

Havent been into marvel for awhile, It sort of died for me when new avengers started. I'm SO sick of wolverine in every team and everywhere at once, i think the wolverine saturation is a big turn off for me when it comes to marvel for me which is unfortunate because i used to like him when he was just in x-men and his regular title.

I think I will start reading x-factor again though, I grabbed the baby issue and it blew me away, Peter David is a master!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm really loving Dark Reign. I'm following it in New Avengers,Dark Avengers,Captain America,Invincible Iron Man,Secret Warriors and Mighty Avengers. I find myself buying more Marvel these days. The only stuff I'm buying from DC is the GLC and GL books...and Battle of the Cowl when it starts...

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Number of posts : 261
Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Trading Status : -5
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:06 pm

I don't mind the events, but I see things like Dark Reign or whatever the X-Men line was sub-titled post Messiah Complex more as line directions than events.

I would like to see a brighter MU once Dark Reign comes to its eventual conclusion and Norman Osborn gets his comeuppance. I'd like to read some old-fashioned super-heroing by Cap and Iron Man for a while. I'd love to see Daredevil come out of the incredibly depressing funk his book's in. Don't get me wrong, Brubaker's Daredvil is amazing, but I would like to see things go well for our heroes for a while.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:05 pm

i find the whole x-over thing too difficult to keep up with. i have a tendency just to read through the main story issues. then i don't find it too bad.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm

I'm finding I just can't get interested in things I used to like anymore. I've just dropped all Avengers books because they're not the Avengers I care about anymore and I'm so bored of seeing different artists I don't know and don't get time to know because they're rotated so quickly. To me the Avengers are no longer about the stories or characters but the franchise, and they can go fuck themselves if they think that's worth $7-8 a book a month. I can't quite do the same with the X-Men yet, they're a longer addiction for me but they've felt rudderless for too long, no single direction. The only themed titles I'm really digging at the moment are Marvel's cosmic books and the War of Kings story running through them. Other than that the most pleasurable ongoing series tend to be the (mostly) self contained stuff like Captain America (well anything Brubaker really), Fables, Walking Dead etc etc which all have great solid writing and minimal (if any) change in quality artists.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:19 pm

I absolutely fucking love Captain America ever since Steve Rogers died...Bucky is just so cool. He's like a mix of Solid Snake,Sam Fisher and Jason Bourne. He's one of my all time fave characters and I love his relationship with Black Widow and Nick Fury. One of the best written books out there. I hope Steve Rogers stays dead.

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Number of posts : 261
Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Trading Status : -5
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 pm

yeah. i remember all the hoopla about how no one would live up to steve rogers, and i'm not sure that bucky does, but he's an awesome character in his own right. awesome book.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 pm

I must admit on the Cap topic that it's started to get a little slow. I just feel the tempo hasn't changed much in the last 12 months. It isn't that I'm nt enjoying the book, I just feel that I'm constantly waiting for something to happen.

maybe it's just because the book is so consistent in quality I'm feeling this way

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Maybe it will read better when collected? Brubaker usually tends to be one of those writers who read just as good monthly or collected though.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:45 am

I forgot that Ultimatum sucked me back into the ultimate universe.
I stopped geting USM when Bagley left and just get the trades. I always get the ultimates but I didnt like the 3rd installment and I started getting Ultimatum. I loved NY getting flooded and the aftermath so I started getting all the tie in books.

YJ, I am with you with the changing artists. I like long runs of creative teams and I am sick of all the artist changes in the Avengers books.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:31 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top