Illegal to sell open toys as of Feb 10, in the US?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Illegal to sell open toys as of Feb 10, in the US?????

Post by FIELDY on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 am

Not sure where to post this but theres seems to be a new law being developed to stop the sale of OPENED toys in the US market, such as Ebay etc.

Surely that cant be true or right can it???

http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=56326

If it is true, all those exclusives we used to get via Ebay are going to be a little more costly I suggest.

Fields Twisted Evil

FIELDY
Has Phillipinos coming in through the back door

Number of posts : 385
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Illegal to sell open toys as of Feb 10, in the US?????

Post by behemoth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:31 am

This must be BS, I mean what possible good could it do?

I can't see how buying a sealed toy is any different.

behemoth

Number of posts : 197
Trading Status : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:20 am

I hope it bull sh*t, cos I can see certain hard to find figures being even harder to find.

I'm lucky in the fact that I got 3 connects in the US, but it wont be long till they make up some law that says you cant ship em loose through their customs etc.

I'm only hoping like some have said that there will be loop holes and that Ebay doesn't just bend over to this S from the government, cos if not I forsee alot of regular sellers just stepping away from loose figures/lots etc.

Why is it becoming so hard to get ML and Dcuc figs for us foreigners.... I blame Hablow.... lol

FIELDY
Has Phillipinos coming in through the back door

Number of posts : 385
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by behemoth on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 am

From what I read, this law is intended to protect kids from recalled toys with high lead content in the paint.

All new toys won't be affected as they will need to meet strict health standards.

This surely won't stop ebay, private trades etc.

As for our difficulties getting new ML and DCUC, obviously the retailers are not ordering the product. I guess when you see that TRU has to clearance all its ML (Foom series down to $15, Toybiz down to $5) they would not want to order anymore.

If the figures sold like hotcakes you bet your mother they would be stocking them! I guess price is the major issue, and with the cost of oil dramatically lower than 6 months ago, maybe the cost of figures will reduce?

behemoth

Number of posts : 197
Trading Status : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:04 am

HA reduce in price, new Hellboy 2 figs in Kings for $40 each, i bought the set of the first series in the states for $110 the set of 6.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rat Fink on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:52 am

Dabigfella wrote:HA reduce in price, new Hellboy 2 figs in Kings for $40 each, i bought the set of the first series in the states for $110 the set of 6.....

Kings are notoriously expensive though.

Rat Fink

Number of posts : 173
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-06-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grimr on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:40 pm

I doubt it will stop sales of toys, but Ebay can have knee jerk reactions...like the travesty of no neg feedback for buyers...supposed to make buyers feel secure, but it jsut means that peopel will go through with auctions and not worry about negative if they decide not to pay etc...but back to the point at hand...

While no chemical pro, seems this relates to PVC flexible plastics. The risks are kinda scary regarding this stuff, looks worth removing them from toys...issues below.

from Wiki
Endocrine disruption

In studies of rodents exposed to certain phthalates, high doses have been shown to change hormone levels and cause birth defects.[1] A recent British study showed that the phthalate di(n-butyl) phthalate (DBP) or its metabolite monobutyl phthalate (MBP) suppresses steroidogenesis by fetal-type Leydig cells in primates as in rodents.[5]

A study by Swan et al. published in 2005 reported that human phthalate exposure during pregnancy resulted in decreased anogenital distance among baby boys later born. [6] In this study phthalate metabolites were measured in urine samples collected from the pregnant women who gave birth to the infants. After birth, the genital features and anogenital distance of these women's babies were measured and correlated with the residue levels in the mother's urine. Boys born to mothers with the highest levels of phthalates were 7 times more likely to have a shortened anogenital distance.[7] While anogenital distance is routinely used as a measure of fetal exposure to endocrine disruptors in animals,[8] the parameter is not an accepted measure in humans.[9] One paper states that "Whether anogenital distance measurements in humans relate to clinically important outcomes remains to be determined,"[10] and a National Toxicology Program expert panel concluded that anogenital distance is a "'novel index' whose relevance in humans 'has not been established,'" and that there is "insufficient evidence in humans" that DEHP causes harm.[11] The Swan study has been widely cited, and "suggest[s] that male reproductive development in humans could be affected by prenatal exposure to environmentally relevant levels of phthalates."[6] Authors of a more recent study of boys with undescended testis suggested that exposure to a combination of phthalates and anti-androgenic pesticides may have contributed to that condition.[12]

In contrast to the Swan study, an earlier study found that "adolescents exposed to significant quantities of DEHP as neonates showed no significant adverse effects on their physical growth and pubertal maturity."[13] This study examined children exposed intravenously to phthalate diesters, and intravenous exposure results in relatively little metabolic conversion of the relatively nontoxic phthalate diester to its toxic monoester metabolite.[14]

[edit] Other effects

Large amounts of specific phthalates fed to rodents have been show to damage to their liver and testes,[1] and initial rodent studies also indicated hepatocarcinogenity. Following this result, diethyl hexyl phthalate was listed as a possible carcinogen by IARC, EC and WHO. Later studies on primates showed that the mechanism was specific to rodents - humans are resistant to the effect.[15] The carcinogen classification was subsequently withdrawn.

In 2004, a joint Swedish-Danish research team found a very strong link between allergies in children and the phthalates DEHP and BBzP.[16] The first systematic review of the evidence relating phthalates to asthma found evidence of association between phthalates in the home and asthma especially in children, but this evidence was limited by imprecise data on exact levels of exposure. Phthalates migrate from PVC plastics and into the dust, where they may be inhaled.[17]

In 2007, a cross-sectional study of U.S. males concluded that urine concentrations of four phthalate metabolites correlate with waist size and three phthalate metabolites correlate with the cellular resistance to insulin, a precursor to Type II diabetes. The authors note the need for follow-up longitudinal studies,[18] as waist size is known to correlate with insulin resistance.

Some Australia specific stuff:
http://www.vinyl.org.au/inourlives/intoys.cfm

Seems from some wide brief reading it relates to flexible plastics like PVC toys, that soft hollow kind. But there are more than one kind of this chemical.

The EU banned some of these plastic additives in 2004 - but to my understanding it still legal to sell loose figures on Ebay etc. Seems the EU ban relates to soft childrens toys likely to go into their mouths.
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/8240/8240notw8.html

and something for the naughtier kids out there...

"Some vendors of jelly rubber sex toys advise covering them in condoms when used internally, due to the possible leaching of phthalates. Other vendors do not carry jelly rubber sex toys, in favor of phthalate-free varieties."

Grimr

Number of posts : 193
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile http://samgrimr.mybb3.org/index.php?sid=f0b631dd04c425e4be263b38

Back to top Go down

Post by micsta444 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

the effects of pthalates is only if they're ingested. Who's going to drool over an action figure....oh us?
Last I heard EU /France was looking to ban PVC which contain pthalates. All a big huff at this stage as no definitive actions have been set in place in any country's legislation.

by the way, where is the most reliable site to trade? ebay seems to be hit n miss most of the time.

micsta444

Number of posts : 5
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2013-01-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Anyone got an updated link?

fishmilkshake

Number of posts : 423
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:58 am

I will have to check ebay. i imagine that a lot of people will be off-loading loose toys on the cheap before the deadline.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 am

The thread is 4 years old, I think we will be safe. Cool

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top