Hi I'm new...Some eBay help please?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi I'm new...Some eBay help please?

Post by Bondi_Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:25 am

Hi everyone. Just registered today. I've decided to get back into some toy collecting. I stopped buying years ago... maybe 6-7 years ago. I've really been taking notice of the stuff that's been released even though I didn't buy anything. But I'm starting today! I'm going to start with DCD (Batman ONLY),DCUC,MOTU Classics,Marvel(Wolverine ONLY) and SW-Sideshow 12 inch. I've been looking around my local shops and haven't found much at all so I guess I'll have to dig my heals in and try eBay. Therein lies my problem... I have no idea how to use eBay! Now I'm not a total dimwit. I know I have to bid on an auction and everything but if by chance I do win one what do I do from there? How do I get me money to the seller? The one thing that concerns me the most is putting so much trust in a complete stranger! I assume I send payment before I receive my winnings yes? Will I find everything I'm looking for on eBay? Is there a non-eBay route I can take to acquire the figures I want?
Thanks everyone and I look forward to getting to know everyone on these boards... Peace out!!!

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Number of posts : 261
Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
Trading Status : -5
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi I'm new...Some eBay help please?

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 am

Bondi is not the best place for figs, although a quick trip to the city gets you Kings Comics, Comic Kingdom, HobbyCo and Kinokunyia, Sucks that Phantom Zone Bondi closed, they were very good at sourcing bits and pieces. Other than that ebay will get you what you want, i hate ebay and only use it as a very very last resort, i usually use ebay once maybe twice a year for stuff i really want. You can use paypal to protect yourself, but ebay has recourse if you dont get your stuff. The main thing to do is check feedback BEFORE you bid. Never bid with someone who has a worse than 90-95% feedback rating and you'll be safe. Oh and welcome, from an Ex Maroubraite!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am

Welcome to the group.

* You can try contacting local and overseas online retailers.

* You can either trade with or purchase items from forum members on this board - check the Master Trader List & Feedback topic for feedback ratings etc. Your first step would be create a new topic under the Trading section and list all items that you're after.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAL on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:45 am

Firstly, hi Bondi. Hope this literally answers a couple of your questions.
Once you win an auction, click 'pay now' (you don`t have to do this straight away unless immediate payment is required), this will lead you to the sellers payment details (Bank deposit details). If they`re not there, sometimes you`ll have to contact the seller and ask for them. Or, if paying by Paypal, confirm everything`s in order and press "'pay' and that`s it really. I felt the same way the first time I used Ebay (turned out the seller was someone who I later recognized from the boards) and it might be best to pay the extra for registered post. If, like myself, it all works out, you`ll be hooked!!
Hope this helps.

Also, once you hit U.S Ebay, yes, you`ll find everything you want, and then there`ll be pain and fear and suffering..........welcome back to the world of action figure collecting *insert sinister laugh*

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:56 am

mate, always check figuresdirect.com.au and casefresh.com for some great local online toy stores.

Paul at Figuresdirect is a member here and has helped me out acquiring toys many a time.

good luck and welcome to the boards

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAL on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:01 am

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 am

Thanks heaps for the smokin' quick replies guys...I was thinkin of joining these boards for months. The only thing that stopped me was the fact I wasn't really knowledgeable on how to collect in this modern age we live in. I thought I would be treated like a noob like I was on some US boards.

DABIGFELLA- Yeah...there's not alot around here. I thought there used to be a comicshop close by too. Comic Bug or something I think. So as long as the feedback is high I should be sweet yeah?

BOLOMUSASHI- I didn't even think to ask other collectors! I'll have to put a list together and hit these boards. Thanks heaps for the idea bro!!

HAL- Thank you so much for that Hal. That's what I was after! I think I'll stick with Oz for a while first. Just till my head is above water...lol

THE MYTH-Thanks for that.

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

Location : Bondi Beach, Waverly County, NSW, Australia, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:07 am

Sorry guys but do I need to show photos of what I want? How do I explain what figures I want when I make a list for the trading section?

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:37 am

Bondi_Guy wrote:Sorry guys but do I need to show photos of what I want? How do I explain what figures I want when I make a list for the trading section?

Images help but a simple description will generally do the job, e.g. Marvel Legends Baron Zemo (unmasked variant).

Last edited by BoloMusashi on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 am

Sweet...Thanks again...

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 am

You might also want to try cornerstorecomics and bigbadtoystore but only after you have checked figures direct first Smile

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:50 am

Welcome aboard, yep if you just give a description here of what you need etc.... I'm sure that any board member will give you a hand. A lot of us have extras from trades and fodder as well. Being a former Bondi boy myself, I am only more then willing to give you a hand. Cool

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks so much mate.I appreciate everything. So is this right for a description-

DCD Batman & Son Series 1 Batman(Andy Kubert)

Everyone will know what I mean by that?

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:19 am

That'll be fine mate. Welcome aboard!

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by stencilator on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 pm

My pick for finding figures... and selling them... has always been to trade with othe fans/board members. I'm only new to these boards too, but on the Ozformers boards I found all the transformers I wanted from members willing to sell as well as selling my own stuff. I've sold a few figures on this board and I'm about to post a large list of sale and wanted items... keep an eye out.

I find it far more satisfying dealing with fellow collectors rather than ebay... at least you know that the figures you buy have been cared for, and the figures you sell are going to good homes.

Hope to do some business with you soon!

stencilator
Terrible Posture

Number of posts : 122
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 pm

I would avoid any auctions from 0 feedback or new sellers for expensive items....and secondly don't get caught up in the excitement of bidding wars for an item.....I usually work out roughly what the postage will be then take that off my final price I'm willing to pay then that's my bid....if you loose there is usually another listed sometime soon.....eventually all the guys you have been bidding against either win the item....or don't check for a week and you can get it for a cheaper price

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:34 pm

And dont forget Parramatta Collectable Fair at Parramatta Town Hall every 3 months, next one is the 24th August, just around the corner, right near the station if you dont drive.

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:30 pm

You might be interested to know that TRU are stocking star wars sideshow figures in limited numbers,
I was in Moore park today and they had Mace, Evil Ani, Palps/Sidious and Jabba the figures are pretty reasonably priced at $100 a pop and Jabba was $229 Same deal in Chatswood TRU.
A pity there was no Jabba's throne as i need one, i imagine if you wait long enough they will go on sale as the sideshow line never seems to pull the crowds.
Also as DBF said the parra fair is pretty good for finding older bits and bobs.

UncleCletusKasady
Throbbin for a big Fat, Man

Number of posts : 960
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:57 pm

welcome to the board! for something newish like Batman & Son a comic shop can order them in for you. if you get stuck PM me and I'll put you in touch with mine which is in Canberra but they do lots of mail order stuff and are really helpful.

alot of eBay sellers offer buy it now, I don't really do auctions but if I can see the price and explicit shipping cost info combined with good feedback I'll buy. Never had any serious issue buying from eBay and I have 500+ feedback. In my experience I have found board trades to be riskier, altho most guys on boards are solid and will really go the extra mile for you.

keep asking, we will all have little bits that helps.

Andy

Andy

Number of posts : 95
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-08

View user profile http://actionfigureblues.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:52 am

Andy wrote:welcome to the board! for something newish like Batman & Son a comic shop can order them in for you. if you get stuck PM me and I'll put you in touch with mine which is in Canberra but they do lots of mail order stuff and are really helpful.

alot of eBay sellers offer buy it now, I don't really do auctions but if I can see the price and explicit shipping cost info combined with good feedback I'll buy. Never had any serious issue buying from eBay and I have 500+ feedback. In my experience I have found board trades to be riskier, altho most guys on boards are solid and will really go the extra mile for you.

keep asking, we will all have little bits that helps.

Andy
Funny, i am the complete opposite, had too many tossers on ebay, even with the ratings and such, but have found that board members do go the extra mile, and have only ever had one minor problem with a deal a very long time ago, and he no longer posts, so all in all i've found the boards to be much more buyer/trader friendly....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:40 am

Yeah like I said most guys will go the extra mile for you, but on other hand I've paid for stuff I now know I'm never going to receive and the watch the same guys go "trades" and stuff for other people on the same boards. There are definitely friends on boards I trust of course. Naturally I always pay with Paypal so that I have a safety net.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bondi_Guy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:54 am

I don't have Paypal. To use eBay should I register for Paypal?
Do I use Paypal for OS auctions?

Bondi_Guy
Has the Munchies

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:59 am

I think paypal may be the only option for ebay now... not sure if that's true or not.

There's some negatives to using paypal. One thing I suggest is to register it to a credit card (i think you have to register it to a bank account, but once that's been confirmed cancel the bank account and have it pay to a CC). I've been screwed on an ebay deal before and Paypal was very fluffy about their investigation. I found it easier to get my money back from the credit card company.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:28 am

Yep you need Paypal if you want to eBay, some auctions are Paypal only and it is the safest way as whatever you buy is insured, altho as drspleen says that sometimes sounds better than it works. Still it's the best safety net.

Andy

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Bondi_Guy wrote:I don't have Paypal. To use eBay should I register for Paypal?
Do I use Paypal for OS auctions?

Yes definitely use Paypal for OS buying. Keep in mind the currency conversion fees though. Paypal will give you a conversion rate if you use a bank account to deposit funds, but the conversion rate is usually about 3-5 cents less than the current rate. However if you use your credit card through Paypal then it's your credit card which will be charged in foreign currency and they have their own conversion rate, not as shit as paypal's, but usually also have a foreign currency conversion fee as well and it usually ends up being about the same cost overall as the Paypal conversion.

For Aus buying you can still readily use bank deposit but if paypal is offered use it, they pay the fees not you and it's an instantaneous transaction which gives you cover twice, through paypal and through your credit card. Bank deposit should be fine for sellers with a high feedback rating. It might not be too bad to pay for registered shipping if it's offered, it's about an extra $2.60 but it does give you some insurance.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next