MOTU Classics :The Thread

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MOTU Classics :The Thread

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:44 am

I don't think we've heard from Mattel about Skeletor.

BUT they're due to have a Q&A at he-man.org on the 15th (US time) together with pictures of Stratos, so hopefully news on Skeletor's release will be included with that.

IF I could order He-Man and Skeletor in December, that would be great (and it would help to reduce the shipping).

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:24 am

True no word on skelly release yet.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:29 am

Looks a winner to me!!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:01 am

Im really starting to grow onto this line, but do I really wntto get another line going, im cutting back on my Star Wars, Spawn etc cos of room etc. But they are looking better and better.

Mer Man with two heads, means I could army build his subbordinate peoples. damm... this is killing me, with the my guy getting me the new DCUC wave 4 out and the Rulk series and the new KB exclusives out soon, $$$ are moving fast..

on a side note, i just noticed the detail on teh legs and shins doesnt continue to the feet, is that the final setup for the figure?

FIELDY
Has Phillipinos coming in through the back door

Number of posts : 385
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:00 am

Re: Feet

It looks like it. Mattel/4H are pretty much sticking to the original "Eight-back" card design for the figures and that is leading to some pretty "different" design choices - such as Stratos' grey socks feet instead of utilising Beast-Man's feet (as well as details like Skeltor's and Zodac/k's skin coloured arm fins, instead of painted gauntlets and Zodac/k's grey-coloured "bare" feet despite the fact he has pink "skin").

While the Eight-back designs are pretty funky, I do wish Mattel/4H were a bit more willing to incorporate design elements from the 200X line and/or to simply re-evaluate the original drawings based on a more aesthetically pleasing approach.

I'll be passing on Stratos, but if I were getting all the figures, I'd definitely be swapping his feet and Zodac/k's feet around since the "grey claws" seem to "fit" Stratos' animal-like design so much better and the grey boots would also "fit" Zodac/k better (IMHO).

The lack of articulation on Stratos' wing (wjere it meets his wrist) also makes the figure a no-buy for me. Again this is an instance where I wish Mattel/4H would look to update the original Eight-back design. Ball-joints would be ideal, but even a standard forward/back joint like on the 200X figure would be better than no articulation at all.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:19 pm

nice figure,his feet dont match his legs at all..

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 am

Man, i don't understand why people just CAN'T understand the concept of this line. Its called Masters of the Universe CLASSICS, classic being the original figures, these being a modern remake of the ORIGINAL figures, the original Stratos had the round boot style feet, and his wings had NO, thats right NO articulation, personally i think this is yet another perfect rendition of a CLASSIC character......sheesh.....

Not the best comparison pic as the orig doesn't have his wings but you can see what i mean...

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 am

Speaking for myself, I do understand the "concept" of the line.

However, for the "Eight-back" figures Mattel/4H are basically replicating the original designs from the old card backs. It's been implied (possibly confirmed, but I don't have a direct source from Mattel/4H so I wouldn't want to type that) that figures outside of the original 'Eight-back" (and presumably the "Twelve-back") will be "designed" by reference to a wide range of materials including the classic cartoon, mini-comics, 200X cartoon, etc (due to the fact that the card-back images for these figures were simply drawings of the figures themselves).

IF the designs of figures that do not have an original "card back" design can be tweaked and modified (for the better), I don't see why Mattel/4H can't do the same for those figures based on the original "Eight-back" designs. While those designs are pretty cool, I really don't understand the need for strict adherence to them, especially when there are a variety of other sources to draw design inspiration from.

Overall, I like the general approach of the line, but I don't see why only the "Eight/Twelve-back" design should be the only inspiration for those 8/12 figures where there is a much wider universe to draw from.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:17 am

"I didn't know Amish could fly!"

Reference to a very obscure fanwork there!

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:20 am

Really liking Stratos. Though those smooth feet do stick out like a sore thumb.

So we have seen:

1. He-Man
2. Merman
3. Beast Man
4. Skeletor
5. Stratos
6. Zodak

Which leaves...Man At Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn? That can't be right....that's 9 people.

Ah, now I see. Evil-Lyn was not in the first set.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAL on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:11 am

Was never a He-Man fan, but following this thread I`m getting hooked. I like the MOTUC design and can appreciate its sentimental value to He-Man collectors. More detail and sculpts similar to 200x kinda defeats the point, doesn`t it? However, if, once those 8/12 back figures are done with and the designs take on more detail it`ll lead to an inconsistent collection. So, stick to the one design Mattel, this one.

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:30 am

Evil-Lynn, Faker, Trap-Jaw and I think Tri-Klops were the remainder of the "original" Twelve-back.

http://www.dukenostalgia.com/He-Man/motu_jericopg06.html

http://www.virtualtoychest.com/motureissue/motureissue.html

Looks like it was Ram-Man and Man-E-Faces as well (depending on the card back).

Looking forward to seeing Teela and Man-At-Arms.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:49 am

They should have named this line "masters of the universe original figure tributes with better articulation and nice bright paint jobs" (or MOTUOFTWBAANBPJ for short)
Some people will like them, other people will like them but wish they were a bit different, other people will hate them etc etc.
My understanding of the line from the panels at SDCC was that Mattel want to re-make the original figures but: 1.slightly modify them to make them look more fresh
2.Make no major changes regardless of how much better it would look or feel.

on the first point they have done this, but i can see why people are pissed at the second part of the brief because they have changed the level of artic (and not slightly) so why not go the whole hog and make them really articulated with super fancy wings etc etc.
To me there is no excuse or reasoning behind this its simply a case of Mattel and 4H have decided this is what they want the line to look like and right or wrong that is what they are doing.

At the Q & A section of the SDCC panel about these some dick head got up and asked "will we see a Clawful in the proper scale in this line?" I seriously wanted to hurt him Evil or Very Mad it's like sometimes people just dont listen to what they are being told because it's not what they want to hear.

I think i am going to get these since the stactions are no more and the inevitable death of 6 inch scale ML i can afford to pick up a new line of toys.

UncleCletusKasady
Throbbin for a big Fat, Man

Number of posts : 960
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't know... some of these look awesome, some of these I'm still undecided about.

But when I think about a "classics" line, I guess I just compare it to the transformers classics series (closest reference point I've got), where most of the figures underwent a drastic functional redesign, but maintained a certain amount of shared history with the original character design.

Stratos I quite like, duckbilled platypus feet or not... but I just thought Skeletor's head looked off when it was a toy originally, and I always thought there was room for improvement there, and maybe that's just my point of reference being off again. Kerchiefeletor is still a figure that I find interesting, just not necessarily aesthetically pleasing in comparison to some of the really awesome updates he'll be standing next to.

I wouldn't change what we're getting, and I'll support the line as it currently stands... but I'll always dream of a skeletor with a different head. Smile

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm

The feet dont match the legs like the original toy even as you can see unless your blind they need to be a little bigger and not as smooth,even the old one next to it has toes (not saying it should have beastmans feet lke the stupidity on heman.org) just resculpt the feet everything else about the figure is perfect.

ragericho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Rage that was my only gripe the feet, I have matched each figure released and the original and the feet are not blended in like the original toy, thus the feet stick out like dogs bollocks and really take away from the whole cohersion of the total figure.

I know we wont be getting another set of heman figs in the future so Id like these to look as perfect as they were first intended when first released to create the magic that is MOTU, I have decided to collect the line as I know I will hate myself later when I decided to half way.

If I dont like certain designs or things that are missing like the blend on Strats feet, then Ill just get them customed in, or is that sacrilige? Boskoes told me he is planning on buying 5 of each figure to chop for Thundercats customs, LOL guess not every one loves the line that much.

FIELDY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 am

Some of these guys are hit and miss. Impressed with He-Man, Beastman and Merman (the new uber cool head as well as the old teddy bear one? Sweet). Stratos is ok, and Skeletor is passable (stupid Canasta-playing biddy head).

I'm down.

Still, if anyone hasn't noticed, regarding NECA's stactions (from He-Man.org):
"AFX has sent out official notice that the Faker / Kobra Khan 2-pack is officially cancelled."

They better damn well make a Faker in this line. I never had the original as a kid, and I damn well want to leave this earth having owned a frickin' Faker!!!

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:52 am

I know I was spewing when I read that, I wanted a faker for display as I dont want to open the exclusive. I wanted him for ages and to see that it got canned was hell annoying.

FIELDY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:15 am

Faker was part of the original "Twelve", so if Mattel/4H stick to their (apparent) release plan of the original "Eight/Twelve" card backs first, then I wouldn't expect Faker to be too far away (in terms of order of release - obviously he's going to be ages away considering they're only releasing one figure per month, with the possibly exception of December when 2 or 3 may be released).

Or Faker may be one of the two convention exclusives in 2009, which Mattel appear to be willing to make available to international fans via the Matty Collector website.

Of course, Mattel/4H also mentioned that at least one "never before made" figure would be seen "soonish" although depending on timing they could have meant King Grayskull, but I *think* they announced that after KG. And there's still POP and NA to be included in the series (which Mattel have said they would include).

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:18 am

As a guess, i would have to say that Queen Marlana would be the 09 con exclusive, with Faker being released the month prior to comic-con, so June 09.....
I think as long as we support this line the sky is the limit, we've already seen what they can do in a "classic" version of a 200X Figure in King Greyskull, so if eventually they do the complete run of Orig MOTU and it has the fan support needed, we'll see the likes of Marzo and the Faceless one, plus playsets such as a new Snake Mountain or Battle Ram, can't wait to see how it all pans out!! Oh and Fieldy, just open the exclusive Faker, i did and he looks great!!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:38 am

DBF cant do it, he came so neat and looks so happy in his plastic prison, I got him, Moss Man and a extra Snake Teela, and a baggy Keldor (German TRU). Not bad for $220AUD shipped from Germany. Love German Ebay.... they have the funniest descriptions.

Keldors on display and Teela's next but the other exclusives are staying sealed, now to get a keldor MISB.

FIELDY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:43 am

Oh poo poo to keeping them in their plastic prisons, mine ar all out and i even made a transformation dio with the spare heads in the ex Keldor!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 am

Dabigfella wrote:Oh poo poo to keeping them in their plastic prisons, mine ar all out and i even made a transformation dio with the spare heads in the ex Keldor!!!

pics please!!!

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FIELDY on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:32 am

I got Keldor, mid trans head on a Skelly bod, and Skelly all in a line in my display.

That reminds me I got a get a whole chicken meal from Red Rooster for my Skelly- Keldor dio I had a idea for ages ago. Well thats dinner sorted. LOL

Oh and pics dude.

And arent you supposed to be patrolling our trains during work hours, what are you doing at home.????

FIELDY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:17 pm

Expect to pay through the nose for the new MOTU line with the aussie dollar at .79 us cents $20 +shipping + the diffrence of the crap aus dollar its going to be like $35-40 per fig easy! but there is no way i am missing out i havent owned a MOTU fig since the 80's.

ragericho

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next