SDCC the DBF n UCK treck

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SDCC the DBF n UCK treck

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:51 pm

So, UCK n i got back from SDCC and LA yesterday, and what a whirlwind trip it was, 4 and a half days of massive crowds, nerds up the wazoo, cosplayers both very very good and absolutely horrendous (yay for the masquerade or messquerade as i now dub it) lines like you wouldnt believe (for everything) and some of the best priced toys we have EVER seen. Here is a link to my photobucket album, with 350 pics, so you understand me not having them all here. The password is sdcc08 if you get asked. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v670/dabigfella/SDCC2008/

Previews night dissapeared in lining up for ages to get in, in the end i started a revolt where more than 100 people stormed the entrance with me shouting "You can't stop us all!!" (actually happened) Then lining up for foom in the Hasbro line for an hour and a half and still not getting anything except a ticket which allowed us to line up for the next day. I lined up in the Mezco linefor 45 minutes to get my Hellboy exclusives!! The crowds were enormous and we managed to get quite a bit of stuff CHEAP! UCK got his turtle set, blisters with the full accesories and bases for $60, i got a bucket load of mezco/mcf Freddy Kreuger stuff for less than $50, i got a full set of Hellboy 2 figs including the 2 variant hellboys for $115. Awsome night.

Day 1 and we had some panels to go to, UCK went to the Sideshow panel while i lined up for 3 hours for Grayskull and Lobo, we attended an AFI toy panel with reps from Mattel, Tonner, Neca, Mezco, some smaller companies and Mcfarlane (noteably absent was hasbro) not much in the way of news there more just answering questions. Then Uck jagged a 20 minute line up for his Foom (i passed). Then onto the Hasbro panel. Ok for a MAJOR toy company, some slides on future product, then a fake person in the crowd asked "We've heard mention of hasbro going 3 3/4 whats up with that?" They went onto rave about the new marvel line of 3 3/4 figs again with some slides, was a good presentation but not really exciting, the line looks ok, but they did say no more bafs beyond what has been anounced and ML "MAY" be something they look at continuing but from how they were with the question, I'd say the 2 packs and baf series we have been told about will be the last of ML, they spent maybe 5 mins in a 1 hour panel on ML and 45 mins on the new 3 3/34 line. Some more shopping, i picked up my Thing premium format from sideshow direct, got the exclusive with the open mouth for $275 instead of $530 here, saved huge dollars there. Another great day then a short train ride home and off to bed.

Day 2, again more shopping, Uck picked up some sideshow jedi with his Ayla Secura exclusive, i got the neca Predator and some of the new Secret invasion heroclix (another crappy distribution) but we then headed off to the mattel MOTUC panel. The difference to the hasbro panel was amazing, both were introducing new product but mattel looked like they cared how it was recieved. They had great pictures of future figs, they had a guy dressed as Matty (from mattycollector website) then a faker Matty busted in on the panel, blue skin and all. They asked the crowd how we wanted the figs distributed. They will be net only through the mattycollector site and will be 1 a month. They asked if people would be intrested in a subscription which was well recieved, then asked if people wanted varients as random pack ins replacing the reg figure you ordered, not so well recieved. Over all a very interesting panel with a lot of good info and alot of people really looking forward to these figs, even 2 of the 4 hoursemen were on the panel, very good guys and you can tell they are toy lovers. (to be continued when i'm not so tired!!)

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SDCC the DBF n UCK treck

Post by ragericho on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:02 pm

Sounds awesome,so did you ship all the toys from a post office there or all on the plane?

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:17 pm

All on the plane, check the pics of our hotel room with all our stuff set up:

Even checked the Thing statue for free, worked out perfectly!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Sounds like it was great....did you win any spending money as part of the prize or just travel/accom/entry? and thanks for the report,....off to check out your pics

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Great pics, and good to see an Aussie perspective! What did the new MOTU line look like in the flesh? I think the shipping cost is going to be the killer.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:02 pm

Sounds like you two had an amazing time, great to see how much stuff you got! Well done!

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:18 pm

What did the hookers say when they saw all those toys in your room? Wink

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugs on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Good on you two! I almost thought about going! Must be a hell of an experience!

Bugs
I'M BUGS!!!!

Number of posts : 62
Trading Status : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:26 am

The Dr Of Style wrote:Sounds like it was great....did you win any spending money as part of the prize or just travel/accom/entry? and thanks for the report,....off to check out your pics
$100usd spending aswell as travel/accom/entry plus a dinner for 2 at a mexican resaraunt (mmm giant magharita's) anf tickets for 2 for a cruise and the zoo of which i sold to the hotel, no time for anything but comic con!!

NiteOwl wrote:Great pics, and good to see an Aussie perspective! What did the new MOTU line look like in the flesh? I think the shipping cost is going to be the killer.
They look awesome, can't wait to get them all, this line brings back so many good memorys they look like an update of the old classics, i'd fork out double for them anyway so shipping won't be too much of an issue for me anyway, but if you can find someone to go in with to get multiples it will work out cheaper...

TheSweetestThing wrote:Sounds like you two had an amazing time, great to see how much stuff you got! Well done!
Why thank you, twas an awesome time!!

simmo wrote:What did the hookers say when they saw all those toys in your room? Wink
That is a story for another time! Cool

Bugs wrote:Good on you two! I almost thought about going! Must be a hell of an experience!
It is, i couldnt tell people enough that it is woeth every cent to go, this was my 2nd time, and it wont be my last, we may even make it a yearly treck over. For what we do as a hobby it is the best place in the world, whether you like sci-fi or comics or toys or whatever its a massive group of people doing the stuff we all love!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugs on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:08 am

Might have to think about it next year eh. Love that 'haul' picture in the hotel, some money spent!

Hey that is not the new DCUC hawkman right? And no Street fighter?!! That is not right!

Bugs
I'M BUGS!!!!

Number of posts : 62
Trading Status : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:14 am

Bugs wrote:Might have to think about it next year eh. Love that 'haul' picture in the hotel, some money spent!

Hey that is not the new DCUC hawkman right? And no Street fighter?!! That is not right!
Fo Sho Go! Thats the supes/bats public enemies hawkman and Sagat vs Ryu is next to Foom!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:57 pm

For me:
Tuesday = No sleep and fun in borders book store
Previews on wednesday = lining up and toys
Thursday= Toys
Friday = Toys and margarittas
Saturday = Toys and beer's
Sunday = Toys
Monday = Toy shopping
Tuesday = Toy shopping and IHOP after a late start watching homo erotic movies in bed with DBF
Wednesday = Toy shopping, IHOP X2 and an earthquake
Thursday = Toy shopping and a flight home

The Con is like parra fair and supernova mashed together and multiplied by 50 it is the best place on earth i wish i could live there, if you have any interest in toys, comics etc you could not find fault with the place (even the pepperoni on the pizza's makes good ammo)
I remember walking through the sales area in a daze not being able to take in how many things i could buy and all at good price's.
Im considering missing my dad's 60th next year so i can go again Laughing
If any of you ever get the chance please go.

UncleCletusKasady
Throbbin for a big Fat, Man

Number of posts : 960
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Looks great!
I look forward to the upcoming marvel legends and was that a Tarantula I spied in a new Spidey line?

I told my wife about your trip and she said if I won a trip like that theres no way she would let me take a friend instead of her but I bet you two had more fun together then if you would have taken the missus?

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:19 am

Yeah, i have taken my wife before and she was happy to pass, comic con is not for people not into the stuff we are into, and she wanted me to enjoy the prize for what it was,....and we did!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:59 am

So who's going next year ,i really wanna go.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:20 am

Nice pics - pity about the single booth babe photo though *tisk *tisk. I'm planning on being Stateside around about the same time next - either for work or for a vacation.

Last edited by BoloMusashi on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:37 am

Otter wrote:
I told my wife about your trip and she said if I won a trip like that theres no way she would let me take a friend instead of her but I bet you two had more fun together then if you would have taken the missus?

Same as me when I hit vegas I was there with my sister who for a while was interested in the free drinks but no so much the gambling and everything else that it offers.....the fiancee wants to go with me but I'd really prefer to hit it with a bunch of guys

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:09 pm

We're going to SDCC in two years Chris...start saving Smile

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Dude I still haven't got a PS3 let alone be allowed to do that trip.... unless it was on the way to a visit with the soon to be inlaws......hmmmm suddenly a quick california stop over doesn't seem so bad

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Question

So, what would be a rough amount one would need to save up for the trip?

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:04 am

One Billion Dollars.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:36 am

Airfairs, accom about $2500-$3000 plus spending at least $1000 i'd take $2000 so $5000 would do it easily $3500 on a budget.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:42 am

... that's an expensive freaking 3 days...

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 am

4 and a half days, and you wouldnt say that if you had been there, worth every penny!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:55 am

drspleen wrote:... that's an expensive freaking 3 days...

Well, if I can get there, I'd probably plan to spend at least a couple of weeks travelling around as well, which would bring the all-important cost-per-day ratio down. cheers

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next