Trials and tribulations

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trials and tribulations

Post by NiteOwl on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Last Tuesday morning I walked down to the train station to await my morning train. All of a sudden I was bent over in pain from a sharp stinging sensation in my left side that brought tears to my eyes. I rang my wife to come and pick me up, because walking was now impossible. I went home and put a hot water bottle on my side and waited slowly for the pain to subside.

About four hours later, bang pain again like I couldn't describe. I assumed it was my appendix, but was later informed it was the wrong side. I repeated the process with the water bottle and again waited for the pain to subside.

Fast forward to about 7:00 p.m. at night, I put the kids to bed and was sitting on the lounge watching t.v. and wham, the most intense pain that actually blurred my vision. I drove myself to hospital and waited for about an hour and a half in no pain whatsoever. At this stage, I felt embarrassed to actually be there as more urgent cases came in. I was waiting in the consult room with the Doctor and wouldn't you know here comes the pain again.

I was told that my symptoms were consistent with kidney stones and I was hooked up to a drip immediately. I was given morphine for the pain and was told I was staying in overnight for ob's. Over the course of the night the pain was so bad that I actually wished for death at a couple of stages. I was consistently throwing up as my body repeatedly went into shock with uncontrollable shaking. I had to be given so much morphine that I started hallucinating and thought I was at work.

I was scanned and told that the stone was approximately 4mm wide and too small to be lasered and I would have to pass it naturally. Anyway, fast forward again to Thursday morning when I actually pass the stone and got let out of hospital later that evening.

So I'm okay for now, just so sleepy all the time. I know that kidney stones dont sound like a big deal, but imagine somebody getting a knitting needle and sticking it into your kidney's and then twisting it around for about 10 mins of every hour. At the moment I keep getting these little twinges in my side as a reminder. The Doctors' told me because i had them once, I am a pretty good chance of getting them again..........yippeeeeeee Sad

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trials and tribulations

Post by Shocka on Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Argh, not fun, to say the least Sad Hope you're all good from now on!

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by YJ on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:40 am

From speaking to a few women at work, kidney stones tend to be more painful than childbirth, passing them naturally isn't the most pleasant sensation either. Hopefully it was just the one.

YJ
Y Not J?

Number of posts : 210
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:28 am

YJ wrote:From speaking to a few women at work, kidney stones tend to be more painful than childbirth, passing them naturally isn't the most pleasant sensation either. Hopefully it was just the one.

Yep, that's what the nurses at hospital said. It was seven stones, the one that was 4mm was the biggest.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:36 am

crap man, glad it went well and everything's back to normal now man!

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:17 am

fingers crossed this is the first and ONLY time then hey.

good luck mate

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:52 am

sounds like a bastard of an experience,Good to see your alive thou all the best with your health.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:44 am

The scary part seems to be when you were halucinating you were at work.....I thought morphine was supposed to be fun.....not just a reminder of what you have to do back at work ....sheesh, hope all is well

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:39 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top