Mattel's new Collector Website and online Store

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mattel's new Collector Website and online Store

Post by Pixo on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:50 pm

Holy Smoke! How has nobody posted this news yet? As follows:

Starting the Monday after Comic Con, because you demanded it, Mattel will be launching a brand new Collector Website with the latest news, updates, previews and – the big one – EXCLUSIVE action figures from your favorite Mattel toy lines like CARS, DCU and more! Wait – you want more? – this new site will also be the EXCLUSIVE home of Masters of the Universe Classic action figures with a new character available EACH MONTH starting this fall!

Of course we’ll have more details including the URL name at San Diego Comic Con, but we wanted to make sure to give online toy fans the scoop first. Oh – and to kick off the new online store, we’ll be putting aside a very limited number of each of this year’s SDCC exclusives which will go on sale on the new collector web site at 8:00 am Eastern Standard Time on July 28th.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 797
Trading Status : 29
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Re: Mattel's new Collector Website and online Store

Post by Pixo on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:57 pm

And then:

Yesterday’s announcement from Mattel on their upcoming collector’s website was a bombshell of joy for most collectors, but now the questions arise on how it will work and what does it mean to all of us rabid collectors? I know I had quite a few questions and I was seeing more on our message boards, so I gathered them all together and sent them over. Mattel’s Toy Guru was kind enough to squeeze in our 20 Questions before we all head off to our 4th of July weekends.

Q1: Is the site primarily for MOTU product with some DC items or will it always be a good mix?

A: It will be a smorgasbord. MOTU, DCU and CARs will just be some of the many Mattel brands and toy lines offered on the site. We have some new exciting lines we haven’t even announced yet!

Q2: Will older/rare and current Mattel collector product be available on the site?

A: Not at this time. For the immediate future the product on the new site will be all new collector product available no where else.

Q3: If so, will Mattel be able to sell full cases of current product (like DCUC wave 2 or 3 for example)?

A: Not at this time.

Q4: Will information like Q&As and news updates still be filtered out through the various collector sites, or will it now mainly be featured on the new Mattel site?

A: Both! We will still work closely with all of the collector sites. The new site will just be in addition to.

Q5: Can we expect to see exclusives for all the DC properties - DCUC, JLU, DCIH, and Super Friends?

A: We’ll announce that at SDCC, but there is a very good chance all of your favorite Mattel collector lines will be tied into the site whether through exclusives and/or dedicated sub-pages for that brand with the latest news, information and photo archives. Some of these pages however will not be complete at launch but will roll out before the end of 2008.

Q6: Will future exclusives be limited to single figures, or will it include 2-packs and box sets?

A: All of the above.

Q7: Will there be a per-person limit on the online portion of the SDCC exclusives (and future exclusives as well)?

A: No. There will be no limits on anything we sell through the site.

Q8: Will there be any sort of fan-polls (like the upcoming Wizard DCUC one) or contests on the site?

A: Absolutely.

Q9: Can people set up accounts in advance of the product offering?

A: Possible. We are exploring this and hope to have more info by SDCC.

Q10: Will the SDCC exclusives be the first items offered on the site or will there be other exclusives available on opening day?

A: The SDCC exclusive will be the first items offered with new product for the MOTU, DCU, CARS and "other" Mattel brands coming out in the fall. The first new product (after the SDCC figures) will be around Oct. But after that there will be a new item (if not more) for at least one brand every month. Once we really get rolling in 2009 there will be a ton of very exciting product for many brands in many scales. Some exclusive to the site (like MOTUC), others will compliment retail store collections (like DCU brands).

Q11: Is the site live as of the SDCC announcement or will it not be available to order anything until the morning of the 28th?

A:Some pages will go live the Wednesday of SDCC. The store page will open on Monday after the show at 8:00 am Eastern.

Q12: What payment methods will the site be accepting? credit cards? Paypal?

A: We are still working out the details for this.

Q13: Will the site ship goods internationally?

A: Yes, with the exception of King Grayskull. The electronics in his package are not available to ship outside of North America.

Q14: Is there any chance any amount of OLDER SDCC exclusives will be available to order from the website?

A: Not at this time. The older SDCC exclusives are sold out and will not be going back into production at this time.

Q15: What safeguards are in place to stop scalpers and hoarders from ordering big piles of exclusives?

A: Although we can’t always control the secondary market, there should be more then enough product available to discourage this type of behavior. Why would someone buy figures from a "scalper" when they can just buy it straight from Mattel? We will adjust product runs accordingly based on interest in each item. Our goal to to make sure every fan who wants product from the new site can get it.

Q16: Will the 2008 SDCC exclusives be the same price on the site as they were at the show?

A:Yes, but there will be an additional charge for shipping and we will only have a limited number put aside for online sales.

Q17: Are you planning and JLU exclusives for the website or will that line stay exclusive to Target?

A: You’ll have to wait until SDCC to learn more about what DCU product/brands will be on the site.

Q18: Will the new MOTU line be exclusive to the site or will it also be available on store shelves?

A: It will be exclusive to the site with a new figure every month after Oct.

Q19: 8:00AM eastern time is REALLY early for west coast people! Is that what time all new exclusives will be posted to the site when it’s time to order them?

A:No. This is just what time the site goes live for the first time.

Q20: Is this site going to run "in house" by Mattel employees?

A: The content and news updates will be run in house be brand managers at Mattel but the distribution of product will be handled by a well established online shipment center. (and they have been trained by Mattel on how to ship things "MIP" and will adhere to the high standards we set with other online stores like Americangirl.com, Redlineclub.com and Barbiecollector.com).

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 797
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:04 pm

very happy they'll be shipping to Oz, wish they were offering their standard product as well tho.

Andy

Number of posts : 95
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2008-04-08

View user profile http://actionfigureblues.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:09 am

I didn't want to make a fuss of this as i didn't think they would ship to Oz, now im happy we will need to get a mass order sorted out for the he-man figs.

UncleCletusKasady
Throbbin for a big Fat, Man

Number of posts : 960
Trading Status : 100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:22 am

damn. i'm going to have to start obsessing over it coming online to get a lobo figure...

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:34 am

Cool news indeed!, thanks for posting pixo

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:26 am

Q13: Will the site ship goods internationally?

A: Yes, with the exception of King Grayskull. The electronics in his package are not available to ship outside of North America.

Great...

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toy_Fan on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 am

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty dissapointed about King Grayskull not being able to be shipped Internationally. Sad I guess, I will have to buy a loose one without the dreaded electronic packaging.

Take Care,
Darren

Toy_Fan

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2008-04-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:43 am

Jor-El wrote:Q13: Will the site ship goods internationally?

Great...

Yea how the hell are we supposed to get king greyskull then, Pre order for $80us from the wankers on ebay? Neutral

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toy_Fan on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:20 am

ragericho wrote:
Jor-El wrote:Q13: Will the site ship goods internationally?

Great...

Yea how the hell are we supposed to get king greyskull then, Pre order for $80us from the wankers on ebay? Neutral

I would love it if that was the case. But my understanding was that the unique packaging was not able to be posted through international mail. Not just by Mattel, but by anyone. I hope you are right though, I would happily pay a scalper as oppossed to missing out.

Take Care,
Darren

Toy_Fan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:24 am

Good news, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford Mattel's idea of international shipping on a monthly basis. If it were possible to get quite few figures shipped at once, that may help but if Mattel try to charge an extra $15/20 for shipping on top of the price of the figure, it will probably take it out of my price range.

As for King Greyskull, to my understanding it will ship at a late date, just without the electronics in the box.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:49 am

Xenaphobia wrote:Good news, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford Mattel's idea of international shipping on a monthly basis. If it were possible to get quite few figures shipped at once, that may help but if Mattel try to charge an extra $15/20 for shipping on top of the price of the figure, it will probably take it out of my price range.

As for King Greyskull, to my understanding it will ship at a late date, just without the electronics in the box.

Cheers.

Thats good as its an unneeded gimmick.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toy_Fan on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:46 am

Xenaphobia wrote:Good news, but I don't know if I'll be able to afford Mattel's idea of international shipping on a monthly basis. If it were possible to get quite few figures shipped at once, that may help but if Mattel try to charge an extra $15/20 for shipping on top of the price of the figure, it will probably take it out of my price range.

Cheers.

That would be great about King Grayskull. Smile You wouldn't happen to have a link by any chance?

Let me know! Thank you. Smile

Take Care,
Darren

Edit: I just re-read the blurb from ToyGuru. I interpreted things differently, my understanding is that he said that King Grayskull will not be avaliable to ship to International Fans due to the electronic packaging, but that when the first "MotU:Classics" figure is ready to sell that figure will not have electronic packaging. I have not seen anything that states that the first figure sold on the site after the con-exclusive will be an International Friendly version of King Grayskull, or that an International friendly packaged King Grayskull will be offered later. Sad
I really am hoping that someone has read something that I have not seen. I am desperate for King Grayskull.

Toy_Fan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:42 pm

As i mentioned in another post i have had some requests for our comic-con trip, i may see if i can grab a few to sell on here, very dependant on space.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Toy_Fan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:21 am

Dabigfella wrote:As i mentioned in another post i have had some requests for our comic-con trip, i may see if i can grab a few to sell on here, very dependant on space.....

Hello Dabigfella,

If you could help me out with a King Grayskull from the con, I would be extremely grateful. Let me know which payment method is best. Thank you for offering.

Take Care,
Darren

Toy_Fan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:36 pm

i'll post IF i am able to get extra's when i get back, we can work out payments and how many i have and all the details then....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:48 pm

thats mighty generous of you man. i'd be happy for any potential shanna love no matter how many ifs are involved...

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:03 am

I had a hunt around, but couldn't find an "exact" statement that King Greyskull (without electronics) will ship.

I may have just recycled the comment from a summary somewhere or other. Upon re-reading the FULL comments, I kind of get the impression that King Greyskull will be available sans electronics, but admit it isn't 100% clear.

IF Mattel really plan to launch the line properly (for international customers as well), I don't see why they wouldn't release King Greyskull in the standard MOTU packaging or even in the Castle box, just without the electronics. Then again, this is Mattel and often their reasoning is hard to fathom.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:39 am

Do we know what the electronic feature is?

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 am

I think there are some flashing lights (in the eyes of the "castle") and some sound effects (perhaps of He-Man's transformation or just random "thunder" type sounds).

To my understanding, one of Mattel's previous SDCC exclusives "Man-Bat" also had similar electronics (although I fail to see why Mattel thinks flashy electronics are needed, surely their product should be good enough).

This question has been posted over at the he-man.org forums, so hopefully there will be some "official" word shortly.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:29 am

So, we should probably get a US friend to buy ours when they buy theirs. Then they can send on the set to us with all the electronics in tact.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lcz128 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:52 am

on the one hand I'm really excited that they're actually shipping things out here, but on the other hand I just wonder how much the shipping will be- stores that ship overseas.. like say the mcfarlane store have been known to charge exorbidant prices, right?

arrrr~ And I just want me a savage land set from this years SDCC and everywhere is looking super expensive!

lcz128

Number of posts : 20
Trading Status : 2

View user profile http://2kowaikawaii.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top