Spawn questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Spawn questions

Post by fuzzcat on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:27 pm

Having just accquired an Image 10th Anniversary Spawn figure, and seriously eyeing off a Spawn Series 20 Deluxe Overtkill (verrry nice figure), I'm thinking about getting a few more of the older McFarlane stuff - my question is two-fold -
1) Are there any 'from the start' McFarlane collectors out there, who still dabble with his stuff?
2) Around which series did it shift from articulated figures to basically statues? I've had a look at the Spawn Series 17 Al Simmons and he looks pretty statuesque to me, but later series specify multiple points on a lot of figures...
Thanks for your help.

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 602
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spawn questions

Post by HAL on Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:30 pm

Spawn was pretty much what I started off collecting along with Wetworks and Total Chaos, but I tuned out around series 8. I think the articulation was starting to wane around 17: Spawn Classics in favour of pre posed sculpts (although having said that, the Overtkill you mention has got some good articulation).
A while ago I got back into it briefly and just grabbed Spawn and his 'rogue`s gallery' from around series 24 to 29 but they lost their appeal quickly and I didn`t have the space to display them well.
Shameless segue...
I have an Overtkill, but his foot broke when I opened him up. He still diplays well, but lmk if you`re interested at all (full description, photo etc)

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:11 pm

- Overtkill III = great figure.

- Spawn Classics, Series 17 was the first "statue" series from McFarlane Toys.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:08 pm

I agree with DroothR, sir! Get yourself an Overtkill III!!

I've been with McToys since nearly the beginning, acquiring me plenty of Spawn figures along the way - ask away! I might be in a minority, but I think the golden age of the Spawn figures was around Series 7 - 12 or so, when they were still doing things with articulation and playability with max-awesome sculpting and paint. They have some amazing and imaginitive toys right there, well worth seeking out. Some favs of mine include Mandarin Spawn, the Viper King, Medusa, Zeus, Cyber Spawn, a whole bunch of them! Very cool on both collector and player fronts. Much recommended!

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

you might like this website
http://www.actionfigurechecklist.com/Checklist.php?Tribe=8

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Electric Hamster on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 pm

I've collected spawn pretty full on right up until series27 came out. My favorite lines overall are Series17 to Series26 but I also agree 100% with the above as far as the exceptional quality and artwork creativity and playability of the the earlier lines, especially when you compare them to what else was around at that time.

When series 27 came out I felt they started to quite noticeably change both in the sculpting style (which up till then I think was the 4 horsemen or people who sculpted in that long and lean style) and also the paint application/technique seems to have changed.

Some of the figures are now starting to look kinda "kitch" like something you might find in a home ware shop or pet shop type place as ornaments to put in fish tanks!

Also I don't like the change from long and lean (four horsemen style sculpting which you also see of course in MOTU) to the more beefy fat bummed (Iíve had a bit too much Maccas and starting to put on a few kilos) look.

I'm not saying I hate the new series but I am starting to get a bit concerned with the way they are heading. So for now just hanging back and finding figures I missed out on in early series now with spawn, hoping that soon we'll get some of the quality and edgy feel back that they had in the past.

Hereís some comparisons to show what I'm talking about below

Earlier sculpts of leaner meaner Spawn from (series 24 and 25)

I'm beefing up just a bit and my cape is not so mean and tattered anymore Spawn (series 29 and 31)

Earlier series21 mean pirate, versus "I maybe belong in my sons fishtank" series 34 pirate

Earlier series 19 supercool Lotus Angel, versus "I maybe belong on Grandmas dressing table" series 27 Wanda

Electric Hamster

Number of posts : 11
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:24 am

If any one is intrested i have a 6inch mandrain and cyber spawn for sale & 12 inch version of the top right picture spawn on metal stand(issue 95 cover i think) Razz

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:58 pm

The original Mandarin Spawn? I am verrry interested...

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raven on Sun May 03, 2009 12:28 am

If anyone is interested i have about 40 figures going back to series 12 i think i will get pictures of all them soon if you know of a list i can check off on i can post the list i just need to sell some or all of these. have had them for about 10 years or more. Some are complete sets like the Samuri set and the there are a few 12 inch left also. They are all in thier original boxes just some dust on them.

raven

Number of posts : 1
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2009-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:32 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top