Surround sound question...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Surround sound question...

Post by drspleen on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:12 pm

I've been wanting to get a 5.1 amp and speakers for my living room. I'm not a big sound buff so I'm not overly fussed on massive quality ones. The thing that I don't understand is how they connect to a tv as standard. Do you connect all your media sources (X-360, dvd player, etc) through the amp, or just plug them into the TV and hook it up to a TV out. If I can do the latter could I just get a set of logitech 5.1 speakers (that i think are meant for PCs) and hook them up?

We have a Sony X-series LCD if that makes a difference.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Surround sound question...

Post by ragericho on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

With dvd and game consoles the white and red AV's go into the amp and yellow into the Tv,same with component cable except there is more colours that go into the tv.with some amps you have to change it to AUX.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I've got a switcher to go into my amp. DVD player goes through channel 1, Foxtel through channel 2, PS2 into channel 3. That way, all I need to do is flick a button to get the right picture and sound out.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 pm

what happens if you plug the amp straight into the output of the tv? does all the sound that would come through the tv come through the amp?

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:08 am

drspleen wrote:what happens if you plug the amp straight into the output of the tv? does all the sound that would come through the tv come through the amp?

If its going to the white/red of the amp to the Tv output white/red then it should,if not buy a doubble ended white/red cable for it.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am

Not an expert but by doing that (coming out of the tv) you may only be able to get stereo not true 5.1.....even tho it will play through all of your speakers......I only have a mono tv (even tho it has 2 speakers)....if i took the sound from that into the amp it would only transfer mono....now the amp will play that through all speakers but I would hear the same thing from all speakers nothing close to 5.1.....or even true stereo....any semi decent amp will have enough outlets for dvd,cd,vcr,fox.and a spare for games or what ever.....for the sake of a few bucks on wires it's definately worth having everything in 5.1 ...the problem I've run into is i don't have enough plugs into the tv for vcr,dvd & PS

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:02 pm

ah that's good info. i've been looking around and from what i can tell it depends how the device is connected to the tv. so an hdmi connection should be able to output full 5.1 but a crappy one will still be crappy... thanks guys. you've been really helpful.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top