Older comic books.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Older comic books.

Post by TheMyth on Sat May 10, 2008 7:39 am

Every now and then I'll pick up a trade of some older stories from the 60's and 70's. The most recent of which being the Kree/ Skrull War collecting avengers 89 - 97. I do however sometimes find them a chore to read. I'm not sure if it's the pacing, the amount of text or the actually interest in the story itself. Anything more current however I can plow through no problems at all. For instance I re-read House of M the other night in one sitting no worries at all.

Does anyone else find this, or find the complete opposite? any thoughts.

this post is more to spark some discussion than anything else.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Older comic books.

Post by ragericho on Sat May 10, 2008 8:28 am

Yea i tried to read HULK 2099 #1 but the ammount of text per page was a chore so i didnt finish it.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Sat May 10, 2008 8:59 am

Well its like we are desensitised to simple stories, as we are desensitised to violence. You look back at R rated horrors from the 70's where as now they would be lucky to be PG. Back to comics maybe we have shorter attention spans.
The older issues take me about 30 mins to read as there are more panels, script and narrative. Nowadays its 10 mins tops an issue as there are less panels and no narrativa and modern comics tell a story over 5-7 issues as opposed the the oldies that were 1-2 issues.
Modern comics use art to set the mood narrative etc so you get less story/issue.

I actually love narrative in comics as it helps set the mood feeling etc.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat May 10, 2008 9:12 am

Yeah what Otter said....I haven't really read much pre 90's stuff but have a few dvd's of most of the major titles that I'll get to sometime (unlikely to be before retirement) The simple stories and art probably the thing that has kept me away...but I don't keep up with reading some of my pull list items so I don't have the time to hit the old school stuff anyway. I'm at least 1-2 years behind in Powers & 100 bullets (just waiting for the series to finish then will read in a chunk)

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sat May 10, 2008 2:15 pm

I've been on an eBay back issue blitz and I'd have to agree with Otter - pre 80's comics are heavy on the panels, dialog, thought balloons etc. It takes me longer to read an old Captain America comic, but it's still awesome - quirky characters and phrases.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:54 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top