I am being forced to throw away my collection

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I am being forced to throw away my collection

Post by sher1888 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Yeah what its says above or I must leave home, any advice from you guys?

Last edited by sher1888 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I am being forced to throw away my collection

Post by RhiGhost on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Sorry, not sure about the situation, are you selling your collection?
Hope things aren't to crappy.

RhiGhost

Number of posts : 170
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2012-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

RhiGhost wrote:Sorry, not sure about the situation, are you selling your collection?
Hope things aren't to crappy.

Throwing it away on the bin, which I am not willing too.

My collection:

DCUC
wave 1 to wave 12 (wave 13 and 14 coming from the states)

Marvel Legends
(Series 1 to entire Hasbro wave 2013 with BAF)
Hulk Classics (Very rare Absorbing Man, Joe Fixit)
F4 Classics (Includes the infamouse very rare Dragon Man $400 value)
Fing Fan Foom wave
Spiderman Classics: Got them all villains and even the ultra rare McFarlane Spidey which people buy for $200

My comic collection can't remember dates:
Daredevil:2 1963
X-men: 2 to 13 (1963)
Luke Cage:1 to 10
Avengers: 5 to 13 1963

Do not know what to do...got to move out.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Would it be possible to ask a good friend to store your collection until you decide to move out? Or could you put it into storage?

It seems odd that you would be forced to throw away a substantial (and valuable) collection. I hope you can work out a resolution whether you have somewhere to live and you get to keep your collection.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Xenaphobia wrote:Would it be possible to ask a good friend to store your collection until you decide to move out? Or could you put it into storage?

It seems odd that you would be forced to throw away a substantial (and valuable) collection. I hope you can work out a resolution whether you have somewhere to live and you get to keep your collection.

I would be probably try hiring a small garage for my collection if I can find one, just scared if someone's steals it.

People at home do not seem to understand the value of it even though have I showed it and they think its children's toys while its like gold in the market.It has happened before with my comics.

I have lost substantial golden age and silver age that I lost when I first moved to AUS on which where given away.I have bought them on an antic seller shop, who did not knew the value of it from the 90's which he had given to me for $10 each.

Spiderman 1960's
Green Lantern Alan Scott (50's)
Superman (60's)
X-men (60's)
Batman (Mid 60's)
Green Lantern (1960's)

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Throw away?

I dont know your situation, but surely there is a better option?

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:28 am

Gabe,

There's always another option.

I suggest you seek out one of those storage places like Oz-Store. You can hire small units for a reasonable price. They have security in place including 24hr cameras. They will be safe there.

Get all your figures into zip lock bags and into storage tubs.

Once that's done, you know your collection is safe and you can work on the larger issue of tolerance and understanding with your family.

fishmilkshake

Number of posts : 426
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:46 am

If I were in that position I'd move, I don't want to offend you but if they can't accept you for who you are then I'd rather live with someone else...

I had a gf once who tried to do the same to me and I showed her the door, a few years later I met a girl who was very understanding (and has her own collections) and we are now married.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinigang on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Help me clean my storage, I'm sure we can create space for your collection. Providing they're all in boxes complete with labels.
How's that?

sinigang

Number of posts : 274
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2010-05-16

View user profile http://www.stoneddownunder.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Sinigang gets +100 Khama points for 2013.

It is a difficult situation (Without knowing all the details) but let me say that if the collecting thing is part of you. Getting rid of it all is not going to make you happy in the long run. Nor will it stop you from probably starting to amass another collection from scratch. Been there done that. Bought the t-shirt, was made to sell it, bought it back some time later.

It is hard for a lot of people to rap there head around collecting toys, where if it was stamps or coins that would be acceptable.

Find some place to store it. If your living situation demands it not be there make it be somewhere else. If it parents/family you kind of have to respect there wish if it there place, if it a partner (This is not the right partner for you)

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Sinigang: Thanks for the offer I have not been in this forum latetly and just saw your message. I already packed them put them into one of the storage.

Thank guys for the advice, I would not stop collecting its always been part of me , since I was a kid until now. From: computer consoles, games, basketball shoes to cards,comics to figures and etc

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:56 pm

what?!? this sounds crazy.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sinigang on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:23 pm

sher1888 wrote:Sinigang: Thanks for the offer I have not been in this forum latetly and just saw your message. I already packed them put them into one of the storage.

Thank guys for the advice, I would not stop collecting its always been part of me , since I was a kid until now. From: computer consoles, games, basketball shoes to cards,comics to figures and etc

no worries mate! if you ever need a storage just let me know Smile
Keep COLLECTING!

sinigang

Number of posts : 274
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2010-05-16

View user profile http://www.stoneddownunder.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Look, on the flip side of what everyone is saying...there's a reason why I haven't been around the boards much for quite a while.

I was pretty ill last year, to the point of hospitalisation for some pretty serious mental issues.

And collecting had become a big part of my problems. To make myself better, part of what I'm doing is selling off pretty much everything. 3000 comics collected over 30 years (including the first comic book my grandfather ever bought for me), all of my Marvel Legends, dvds, that sort of thing.

Part of it being, I don't need stuff to define who I am as a person. Sure, I enjoy buying these things. And I've got the ok to finish off my MOTUC collection and hold onto just one smaller set of stuff.

But at the end of the day, collecting things, collecting more and more of this stuff...it wasn't healthy. And it almost cost me a hell of a lot.

So, while you're probably fairly upset at this, and bearing in mind I have no idea what your "real-life" situation is (your age, your work etc etc), this might just be the kick in the pants you need in your life. I'm not sure if that's true for you or not, but might be worth thinking about. And PM me if you want to talk about this stuff.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 am

Well said Simmo and kudos for getting control of your situation.

It is an odd path we've chosen for ourselves, this need to acquire items that some deem as childish. Some will try and attribute it to living in the past and trying to recapture our childhood, or not wanting to face the challenges of adulthood. It's difficult to keep things in perspective too, like gambling and alcohol, the acquisition of stuff can just as easily get out of control.

But I like to think it's still just a hobby as much as anything else. My Uncle buys and restores Harley Davidson motorbikes. He spends big bucks doing it. Another friend of mine has over 8,000 DVDs and Blurays. His love of movies as a child has never stopped and he owns movies he has fond memories of.

There's no reason we shouldn't collect action figures and toys. For most of us there is an inherent attachment to childhood, but it's not always the case. I love comic books. Always have. I love the stories and the art and of course the characters and having 3D representations of them are an extension of that.

Not that a justification is needed, but if 200,000 people attending SDCC every year and the existence of companies like Sideshow and Hot Toys making very deliberate high end collectors items isn't proof enough that what we do is normal then I don't know what is?

What is required is understanding and restraint...and not just from us, the collector. Does your partner/family/friends/house mates know how much joy this collecting brings to your life? Mrs 'shake can't see the attarction to 'collecting' this stuff, but she can appreciate the richness of the material and very obviously the joy it brings me. So long as I maintain healthy collecting habits she's very supportive. I need to respect the amount of our money I spend, the amount of space it takes up in out home and the approval is there.

...and really, it's better than hitting the pub every day.

fishmilkshake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 am

This is a bit of a related story, but I apologise if it's somewhat of a tangent...

From my own perspective, I found collecting to reach a nightmare point when I had to have everything. I started my collection when I started working as a young adult, living with parents, so had a high disposable income. There were no limits to my expenditure and I wasn't smart about how I went about it (and these traits creep back in every now and then).

By the time I'd met my wife, got a house and got married, I had an entire room filled with my collection. Sure, it was impressive, but I wasn't enjoying it. It was basically buy something, stick it in the sea of colour and then wait for the next thing to buy.

I took some time to think about the answer for me, and it was somewhat forced by finances, but I decided to cull. I decided I needed my collection to be iconic to what represented me. So away I went, sold off a bunch of stuff here and at the local toyfair. Sometimes secondary characters from lines such as DC Direct and Marvel Legends, sometimes entire lines like The Simpsons, Star Wars and Transformers.

As of now, I have 8 Detolf cabinets and they contain virtually my entire collection. And it's representative of who I am and what I enjoy. I've found that the less is more thing just works so much better for me.

In fact, just over the weekend, I put all my 200X MOTU in storage so I can space out my MOTUC more, and cut my LOTR display from 5 cubicles to 2 in the cabinets to expand out some other lines and make them less cluttered and much more appealing to me.

But that's me. There's no way I feel I could ever just get rid of the lot. Having two sons, I have every intention of passing down what I have to them, not so they can continue collecting themselves, that's up to them, but it's a collection that is representative of their father and what he enjoyed.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Simmo: Thank you for the advice , I am gladly taking your advice as is it not healthy to take more of these stuff and its not of being who you are. I am glad that you controlled it and move on from it.

Fish:Taken that advice , whatever hobby that makes you happy, should have some restraint and understanding between families/friends/wife or girlfriend.

Jor-el:I am in a similar boat with you .when you were younger but restraining myself with a budget.

I only collect Marvel Legends and DCUC and I have restrained myself of not collecting other lines even though I have an urged to do it.I do not have any other collection activities at the moment like collecting comic books (been there done that, when I was 10, explained in first page and lost thousand's of dollars. even though I bought it for $10 each), stamps or even shoes.Most of those stuff where sold or given away.

I sold my spares or not needed figures e.g. Ultimate Wolverine, 2 ultimate variation of Ultimate caps and etc. I have lost count and I would estimate that I have at least 350+ at home most of them are on boxes. I only buy them loose on good deals such as this forum, other forums, Fairs, ebay or my friend from the USA.I never buy overpriced figures unless they are really hard to find (e.g. minimum made 50 in the world).

I am in a similar boat with Jor-el, when he was single and not married. I have budget in my figures each week depending on good deals that I get from people and save a lot on finances.

Just people (friends and etc) , do not seem to understand me and even my parents on why I collect these things. I was told to get rid of it and saying that its "childish" or "move out" or "wasting your income".I think they are probably right but on the other hand they might be wrong.

My purpose of collecting them is to retrieve something from the comics that I lost and I wanted a figurine that represents it. This comes probably, the era, that I grew up where comics and cartoons such as the X-men, Spiderman, Batman and Superman that where memorable.I wanted to probably pass these toys to my future kids, if I had any, if they ever live in era of DCUC or Marvel .

I got inspired from you guys and my former professor at university had influenced me to it (collects Dc Direct and DCUC).

Update:
So yeah, I am deciding currently to give it up (not going to sell these yet) or continue.

Last edited by sher1888 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:16 pm

sher1888 wrote:
My purpose of collecting them is to retrieve something from the comics that I lost and I wanted a figurine that represent it. This comes probably, the era, that I grew up where comics and cartoons such as the X-men, Spiderman, Batman and Superman that where memorable.I wanted to probably pass these toys to my future kids, if I had any, if they ever live in era of DCUC or Marvel .

I understand where you're coming from. It's a pretty similar thing to why I started collecting toys...when I was a kid I loved Marvel comics, but there weren't toys of them. When ML came around, it was easy to justify buying them cause they were what I wanted as a kid.

But that's the thing. Why do I want things I wanted as a kid that I never had in the first place? Collecting comics I can understand a little more, because it's like following your favourite tv shows, you want to see where the story is going. That's not to say they're a better thing to collect than toys though.

These days, since beginning to offload everything, I'm only buying MOTUC, given the ones I had as a kid are pretty much all breaking now. And I actually have a son I'm planning on playing with these things.

I don't know mate, but none of us will think collecting comics, toys etc is childish. But if collecting anything becomes problematic in real life, you need to make the choice as to what is actually important long term.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RhiGhost on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 am

I've only been collecting comics and figures for a few years, so I may be considered a little green but I think as collectors we all seem to share that one personality trait that makes it far to easy to loose sight of why we started collecting. For me, I started collecting figures as it made me re-live my childhood, I loved getting hold of the ones I always wanted but never got. I always had a goal of only collecting this certain line and then maybe a few others from my fav movies/shows/characters.
Only recently, just before this thread started, I moved into a new place with my partner and a friend. When it came to displaying my stuff with respecting my new housemate it really made me look at everything I had. And I questioned where did I loose sight of my enjoyment? When did I start buying stuff just because? I couldn't answer it, I just knew I had this feeling of 'needing to have everything' and it didn't feel good.
I think its, now don't laugh, kinda like a drug. When you first start collecting its great, everything is new and you have a feeling of accomplishment but after a few years of over use, it wears off, so you keep getting more to try and get that feeling back.
I consider myself lucky to have had this epiphany so early on.
My advice is cull all that filler stuff, it really does feel good afterwards.
Maybe even limit yourself to buying 1 figure a month or something like that.
Most of all, don't let it be your life, when you find yourself obsessing over getting that figure or comic you need so much, take a look at your kids/partner/family/dog/llama and go hang out with them. Eventually it'll be real easy Smile

I send all my love and strength to everyone going though a hard time right now.

RhiGhost

Number of posts : 170
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2012-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmilkshake on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 am

What if your Llama collects figures too?

fishmilkshake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 am

I've never been through this, so I'm not sure if I can say anything of help.

I started collecting in 1992 (age 11). For years it was mainly just Star Trek. I don't even remember how it got to the point it is now.

I went through my own personal problems in the late 90's early 2000's. At that point it seemed getting toys in the mail was my only happiness. At the same time I was spending soo much on them I was miserable as my pay was gone each week before I even got it...& ofcourse miserable at the fact that buying toys wasn't going to help me in any real way.

I still spend too much on toys, but there are fewer & fewer 'must have' items for me anymore. Last one I bought was an Integrity Jem who was over $200. Yikes.

Since I moved home a few years back & took over my parents granny flat, which they built out over their garage for guests, I have had 3 rooms to display items without anyone complaining. I am very thankful for this.

But I have known for a long time that 'things' don't bring happiness. And even though I still buy a lot of crap (Kens Mini Cooper!) I don't feel as though I am at the mercy of my collecting....more like we are old friends who's bond will last forever.

And god help anyone who tries to break that bond.

Anyway...what's this thread about??

Oh, Sher1888 - Glad you didn't throw out all your toys! Very Happy

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 am

Not me but people living with me and family wanted to throw it out.My collection is small listed on page1.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top