2012 Top 10 Lists -

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2012 Top 10 Lists -

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm

As a regular voter I was sad to see the passing of the yearly awards, but it's a ton of work for 1 person and with dwindling votes each year that's the way it goes I guess.

Big thanks to Jorel for his efforts, and I'm keenly reading his best of 2012 List.

It was mentioned in that thread that some others might do the same so lets keep it to this thread and please add your thoughts below mine.

Discussion always encouraged!!!

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 2012 Top 10 Lists -

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:06 pm

So here goes my thoughts on the year.....Decided to follow Jor-El's lead and items on my list are only those I purchased last year...some still in transit but close enough. Like others here my collecting has slowed this year. Currently 98% of my figures are in storage so internet pics for me (probably huge), and the descriptions will be brief too! You won't find any DC as I'm a Marvel, the biggest items for me not to be collecting are the Mortal Kombat figs, right up there as a favourite franchise of mine but for the cost of importing these I just can't for such wishy-washy toys. I pretty much stick to 6 inch scale so no hot toys or MU etc. I did find it hard not to pick up the Playarts Kai Streetfighter series....they need to do more than the usual 4 figures for me to start collecting. No vinyl toys for me this year but always on the lookout...Finally I tend to not get many female figures unless they are major players so no girls this time either.

In no particular order:
ML Punisher - The only Marvel Legend figure I picked up this year (bit of a change). I liked a few of the releases and will get some of them eventually. (

MOTUC Procrustus
This guy just looks great, have always liked guys with 4 arms, I like the rock detailing and am happy with the rotocast figures Matty have done so far.

MOTUC Castle Grayskullman
A great Idea for the create a character contest......Currently a source of anger towards Matty on my part but eventually he will be mine. Stomps all over the Mighty Spector and CyChop. Just looks cool in my opinion.

MOTUC - Snake-Men & Rattlor
Happy with all of these, nice to get extra heads and I liked the sculpts and designs. It's cool to have the Snakemen faction filling out in the MOTUC collection.

MOTUC Fearless Photog
I was surprised at how much I liked this figure....It was a cool thing to do for a line that is run on nostalgia and they pulled it off making a figure that fits with the universe... much more than an anime-Chief Carnivous.....who I actually like too but anyway...

MOTUC Horde Prime......With helmet!....not a fan of insect antennae head but I love the Red/black/silver colour scheme and the huge bulky armour, Like the Faceless One it stands out against the other motucs.

Have been getting into Ashley Wood's 3A toys for the last few years, started off with a few bought on fwoosh and Kidrobot forums.....then got Screwed over for a few hundred $ from a guy who has gone on to do it multiple times to others but anyway......
Was cool to meet Ashley at Supernova this year and I've picked up and sold a few things this year: Not a fan of the giant scale (and the associated price tag) so everything I get is the 1/12 scale.....fits in with my collection anyway. Not a fan of everything they produce (there's people who buy all colour ways of everything released)

3A Heavy Brambles 1/12
Ended up buying 4 of these, one sits on my desk at work, one in a box somewhere and sold a couple to fund other purchases. Love the paint apps on these, the design and the level of finish on bags, fingers & colour ways

3A Action Portable TK Slicer 3 Pack 1/12
Now I'm not a fan of the simplified anime styled heads that 3A have for their humans but I just think these guys look badass. Grenades strapped everywhere, material on a 6 in toy, electrified swords....can't wait to get these in a couple of weeks.

That's about it for my to purchases this year...... Two special mentions of things I would like to get but gotta draw the line somewhere

Lego Minifigs...... just a great line....that we get a retail to boot.....toy hunts survive!
and
3A Metal Gear Solid - MG Rex....this thing is just awesome...Hot Toys Tumbler level for me.....When shipped the box weighed 8kgs.....

Thanks for looking, please feel free to comment/argue or post your own lists. Looking forward to more MOTUC this year and we'll see what else comes out....Maybe the D-Arts fighting game figures.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:32 am

Great work, oh Stylish one!

I must admit, I wasn't a fan of Photog initially but having picked him up at the Cyber Monday sale, he's got something about him. He's so stupid that he has a coolness to him. Kinda fits into the NA lineup for me.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:18 am

Excellent list! Where did you buy the Rex from?

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:43 am

I only got 5 figures this year, Fisto, Mekaneck, Kobra Khan, Stinkor and Draego Man.

While Stinkor is right up there for my ability to walk around the office with him and yelling at people to "Smell my Stinkor!" I have to go with Draego Man. he's the only non-vintage MOTUC figure I had any desire to get, and replaces Spikor (who I never had as a kid and don't like much so didn't buy) in my villain rotation.

He's just so awesomely sculpted and detailed, I think he's far and away the best non-canon character created for the line.

Last edited by simmo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 am

Shocka wrote:Excellent list! Where did you buy the Rex from?

You gotta read the fine print!....this was one I wanted but no way could I afford/justify the $500 price tag. 3A stuff is on limited release at bambalandstore.com but they also release some stuff stuff through online retailers. Nothing from them is ever on the cheap side.

And yeah Simmo Draego Man was next on my list, just a quality figure all round.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

The 3A toys are pretty cool. Not something I would buy, but I love seeing collections of them.

So happy the Snake Men of MOTUC are getting filled out more.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 pm

Ahhh, my bad, thanks - is it just me, or is the Bambaland Store website pretty much completely empty?

Shocka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:40 pm

^^^^^
Yeah they only have 1-2 pre-order/ sale days each month. If you're a member you get 24hrs to buy ($180...includes 1 12 inch figure) everyone else you are at the whim of how long items are up for and forever reloading the page, they usually get dotted sales of exclusive color schemes. This works like some of the designer vinyl toy makers....I only buy what I like, there's people who seem to get everything which is crazy at the prices they charge for some things. 3A production blog notifies most sales and the 3A forums have plenty of stuff on there too........tho the forum is a bit like heman org only positive comments allowed where you constantly have to heap praise or else.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 pm

Ahhh, damn - well, a month or so ago I emailed 3A directly about the Metal Gear Rex and the response was VERRRY broken English, which I couldn't make heads or tails of, but they basically said they were out of stock though could sell him to me directly if they had any left over? It was weird, but I'm hoping somehow I can get ahold of one. $500 is steep but it's very much a one off thing, a very special bit of kit...

Shocka

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top