Castle Grayskull

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Castle Grayskull

Post by Artistix on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Castle Grayskull

Price - **EDIT** $250

Details & plans in 3 weeks at NYCC. Artwork will be seen before pre-sale.

Will be based on vintage prototype including playmat:

Last edited by Artistix on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Castle Grayskull

Post by DroothR on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:41 pm

I'll need some impressive hard info before I consider preordering.

Measurements, and solid concept art.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:07 am

The inconsistent approach to determining the source for "design" inspiration for various MOTUC products confuses me.

The Great Rebellion is primarily basis on Filmation/style-guide. The MOTU heroes and villans are primarily based on the classic toys, with the odd inspiration from their 200X versions. The Evil Horde is primarly based on the classic toys.

Now Castle Grayskull is to be based on the original proto-type, instead of the classic toy or the Filmation design. Has there ever been a huge demand to see the original proto-type realised as an actual playset? Sure, to my untrained eye, it's pretty similar to the classic toy, but wouldn't a Filmation focus for the Castle have been the preference for the majority?

Anyway, whatever the inspiration, it is cool that Mattel is trying to get a Castle Grayskull made for the fans. I think it will be too expensive for me, but a diorama of just the "front" would have been pretty fantastic.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 am

My big brother had the original Castle Grayskull, so it was around here for years. I've had the 200x version for many years. Loved both! What I expect from the castle isn't as difinitive as many.

The prototype above looks awesome! Very much Castle Grayskull, even if there are a few changes.

I do wonder if the fans might be slightly annoyed if MOTUC Grayskull was simply an upscaled vintage castle playset. Most hardcore fans would have that playset from the 80's & may have preferred something slightly different for MOTUC.

In any case, this is what it's all about! We got figures, multi-packs, beasts, large scale accessories (Rack), vehicles...playsets were the final frontier & finally we are there (fingers crossed).

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:25 am

I would prefer if this was maybe shuffled to next year in terms of funds - with Granamyr still to come and a TOD Sorceress to track down, a $200 paid upfront cost just isn't wanted at the moment....

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 602
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:29 am

It most certainly has to be up-scaled for me to get it.....otherwise, me thinks my recently acquired vintage Playset will suffice for my display (when I eventually get around to opening my MOTUC figs).
I think a simple facia (to scale with the figures) of the filmation design of the Castle would have satisfied most.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:35 am

-Pre-Orders begin in the Fall. As of right now, they are shooting for a $200.00 price point.

-You will not be charged until Grayskull ships, just like with other Pre-Orders

-They should the designs to show off at NYCC. They won't be going forward with sculpting unless the minimum is met. (Think Kickstarter campaign)

-The minimum amount needs to be about what the minimum was for the 2013 subscriptions.

-No estimates on shipping as of yet. no electronics though, so it will ship internationally.

-They plan to base this off of Mark Taylor's original concept design for the vintage playset. Some things they plan to include are: three levels on the inside, working elevator and features just like the original playset, lots of accessories even including things like the scrapped "torture rack", the spire on the top of the Castle will hopefully be removable in case people don't want to display it (since it was only on the early artwork and not the final designs), and the play mat to go under the castle.

-This is a playset, not just a facade. It will fold up exactly like the vintage one.
http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=13&itemid=19211

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:03 am

Pre-order up
http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/en_US/pd/productID.258165100

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=album&album=2012_NYCC%2FMattel%2FPanel&dispsize=600&start=0&sl=19320

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 am

I've read that they will only go into production if they hit the minimum pre-order target by November 10.

This thing is going to be expensive... $250 already and shipping will be a killer. I can envisage that it's all an exercise to shut up fans by offering a pre-order, failing to meet minimum and then blame us if it gets brought up again.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:58 am

I guess if it does go into production it has the potential to become a grail item in years to come.

I don't know, $250 + shipping at this time of year is pretty rough. Also Granymr is coming up soon as well.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:18 am

I don't know, $250 + shipping at this time of year is pretty rough. Also Granymr is coming up soon as well

Payment isn't due until it is ready to ship. Matty states that the Castle won't ship until late 2013.....so I'd guess payment won't be expected until late 3rd QTR or early 4th QTR 2013.

I do think that you're right in that it would become a grail in years to come as a lot of people won't go for it now and production numbers will be small in comparison to the MOQ for figures.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am

Product Features

•It’s Castle Grayskull®!

•Ideally, the set will include everything shown in the “B sheet” product drawings to the left, but please remember these are working drawings and aren’t final yet.

•If produced, this will be the largest, most ambitious MOTUC item ever made – the dimensions are expected to be somewhere around 25”h x 26”w x 28”d (subject to change).

•The overall sculpt will be based on the original 1981 prototype, with the addition of an extra battle ledge, elongated jaw/face, a removable minaret on top of the dome and more!

•Just like the vintage toy, it will be a two-sided foldout but there will be three levels to show off your MOTUC figures (in scale with most of our 6.5” figures). The vintage set only had two levels, but we’ve added another across the top for maximum display options.

•Two secret doors – the first, a traditional door that opens out the back, and the second one, a secret brick wall that exits to the outside ledge.

•Trap door leading to the dungeon (of course) that has an opening door, plus “locks” and chains to hold one figure.

•Throne fits most 6.5” MOTUC figures – who will rule your Castle Grayskull®?

•Bat wing jet pack and training device were both cut from the vintage prototype and finally get a chance at production!

•Working elevator like the ‘81 prototype had, but we’ve added back the red skull on top that was cut. The elevator goes to all three levels, not just two levels like vintage toy.

•Real opening Jawbridge just like you remember, only cooler!

•Have Wind Raider? The playset will include an attachment so you can be ready for air-battle at a moment’s notice (and create a complete diorama).

•Secret Orb room is hidden inside the dome.

•Removable ladder to the roof leads to a blaster and the flag of Castle Grayskull®.

•Carrying handle is optional for easy transport or clean display.

•Did we mention… it’s Castle Grayskull®!

25"! Bigger than Voltron.

Attachment for Wind Raider is interesting. Hopefully it is a long & sturdy pole so you can have it flying high above the castle.

The thing about the throne is interesting. Is that Sorceress' chair from the TV show? I guess her figure could sit in a throne chair.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 am

It would be cool if the attachment for the Wind Raider was a Point Dread add-on.

And I'm sure the throne is the same as the original castle playset.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:29 am

Easy yes for me - great it's not an expense straight up.

fuzzcat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes for me, this thing looks huge! Would have preferred if it were all 4 walls but I guess that would make it less of a throwback to the vintage version and probably double the price

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 am

International postage for 1 Castle Grayskull - $200

Crying or Very sad

Just saw an Aussie guy post on Fwoosh - He was charged just over $100 for postage to AU. Not as bad as $200!! Actually $100 is far less than I would have expected.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:19 am

Where'd you get that price from?

I seriously believe they don't want to make this thing. They've slyly let slip that min orders by November 10, yet their webpage gives until Jan 3 for pre-orders.

I really think this is a case of offer it, fail to get some magical amount, blame fans for there being no Castle to finally shut them up about it.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 am

Saw this at the Org:
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?231463-International-fans-check-it-out!-Shipping-for-Castle-Grayskull-has-been-halved!!

"ok, I got an update on the pricing issue guys

....regarding the difference in order prices as I mentioned I was having.

I called them; I got the new english US based Customer Service group- which was very fast an helpful; and I asked about the price diffrence an they said there is currently a glitch in there system that is causing the price diffrence.
Now, she did not specify if the glitch was the previous price or the new price amounts. But she did say that everyone that had ordered the item would be contacted via the email on file with new information."

Also

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=13&itemid=19349

- Mattel will only go forward with production of this item if they meet their MINIMUM number of required orders by NOVEMBER 10, 2012 11:59 p.m. PT. If they meet the minimum number by the 11/10 date they will continue to take pre-orders until January 3, 2013 11:59 p.m. PT.

Question - If I have $3 on my credit card...can I still order 2 of these now? I know the charges don't show up till next year, but I wasn't sure if they reject the card if it doesn't have proper funds when pre-ordering.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:05 am

I ordered mine this morning - went through fine. Postage was $107.95 or something like that.

fuzzcat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am

they should publish what their min number required is, or have a thermometer on their website that slowly fills up....might drive some attention......I'm out...cannot justify the expense at the moment

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 am

Postage is $107 for slow, non-trackable International Post, or $121 for faster, trackable UPS if anyone wants to know.

Haven't pre-ordered yet. Want to think about it for a while.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 pm

Hmm think i might spring the extra $14 for fast shipping, I'm amazed it's that close between the options

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Any savings if multiple Castles are ordered?

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Nope. I only tested a couple, but it appears that it's about the same and even more in some instances. 2 via Int Post was about spot on double, while 2 via UPS was $264 from memory (so more than doing 2 separately).

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 am

**sigh** but ofcourse.

Guess I'll be ordering 2 of them seperately.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next