The price of Lego in Australia

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The price of Lego in Australia

Post by Mahzian on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:48 am

Hi guys, I knew we paid our fair price for LEGO here in Oz but I didn't realise just how much until a recent trip to the states. Each store I went into had VERY cheap LEGO, the smaller sets (like $18-30) weren't too much different but the bigger sets were pretty much 50% of what we pay here, this is their full retail price vs our full retail and sometimes special prices. E.g the modular town sets like the Mall/Fire Brigade/Town Hall etc are $150 each when they are at least A$300 here (if you can find them). I know we have to factor in the cost of shipping but that is a lot of markup. I spoke to the guy at the LEGO store in San Diego and apparently he is aware of the issue and said they are sending someone down to investigate as a new LEGO rep (not sure how true that was but maybe there is hope).

I know a few people on here order sets online, I was thinking maybe we could make a list of sites that you do/don't recommend.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The price of Lego in Australia

Post by sher1888 on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Not just Lego but every single toy that we have on retail e.g. Star Wars figures cost $17 to $20 while in the states its $7.I do not think its the shipping cost but probably reaching sales target as being the incentive in increasing the price. I remembered studying in university on which my lecturer showed us some real data at Myers on how the mark-up was increased by 200% or more and how the mid year was a scam by selling them on how much they bought from a wholesaler.

If the toys nowadays are made in China then they should shipped it in here and anywhere.

Very Happy

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:54 pm

The pricing was crazy great in the US.

I was sorely tempted to splurge on quite a few lego sets including the Lex Luthor, Superman and Wonder Woman set ($20.00 instead of $40.00) and the Avengers Quinjet ($50.00 instead of $120.00). But, I just didn't have the room in my bag to carry it all.

I didn't find the pricing on action figures that different. I went to grab a MOTUC/DCUC two-pack in Toys R Us and they wanted $43.00 for it. Sure, it's cheaper than the DCUC two-packs we got down under (originally $50.00), but it was still too expensive for me.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 am

I've been having a hard time turning my back on the Lego in Big W. Bought the Monster Fighter sets...Minifigures...have to drag myself away from the LOTR Lego...& now the Turtles too! Once upon a time it was Harry Potter Lego or nothing for me. (Still lots of Potter sets I need too!)

Big pics of the Turtle sets here (scroll down to post #407)
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74784&st=400

The Hobbit Hole coming for LOTR is soo tempting. I'm worried I won't be able to resist it, & then hate myself for now throwing all the LOTR Lego on Lay-by when I had the chance.

It's a slippery slope this Lego collecting. It has me as frightened as the Integrity Toys Jem line I am (trying) to collect.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:35 am

^^^^

You really need to open a toy museum, then all the Lego (and all the other toys) you purchased would be a business expense*.

* NB: I am not a tax lawyer.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:11 am

I got the monster hunter castle when Lego was 20% off at Target. Its great and there is plenty I want to get but yes, cost is the big deterant.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:38 pm

Love the Castle, especially that room with the hanging skeleton & spikes!

*sigh* I put some LOTR Lego on Lay-by: affraid

Gandalf Arrives - $18.72
Uruk-Hai Army - $48.00
Attack on Weathertop - $88.00
The Battle of Healms Deep - $174.00

Only other set in Big W was Shelob Attacks, which I'll probably get (some day). Not sure if I missed the Mines of Moria & The Orc Forge or if they haven't been released yet.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top