Little help - Big items

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Little help - Big items

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Hey folks,

Not sure if this goes in here...

Back in November I won a GI Joe USS Fagg on eBayUS. The seller, Liz, lives in New York. She originally quoted $300 postage, which we both discussed would not be enough.

Most of the playset was sent out last year. However the last & largest piece is becoming a bit of a problem. She has been to UPS a few times but they tell her it is too big to send.

This is the latest message I received from Liz:

"Hello... Just returned from UPS... bad news.. the dimensions of this item are making the cost INSANE... it is about 40"x55"x8" and they said it would be either apps $900 or $1300... for 2 or 4 day delivery... I am not sure where else to go.. If we cut it in 1/2 that will or 1/3s it will probably solve our issues.. but I know you are a collector and probably want it whole.. any Ideas??? are you coming to NY any time soon? I would love to come to australia and hand deliver it..."

Does anyone had any advise as to what we could do? Is $1000 postage reasonable for an item that size? Would using a slower delivery help with price? I believe surface shipping is not an option anymore.

Some folks at hisstank said to let it go & wait till someone in Australia is selling one. Which I may end up doing.

I do feel bad for Liz. She is being really nice about it all....even though she's been to the Post Office several time already! Laughing

Here is what I have:

The Listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=290636817891&si=IORfa9o3cxXUVO94RaaqE7WV7KM%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1123&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Little help - Big items

Post by spitcurlboy on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:35 pm

ask her how much a ticket to oz is for her, if its less than 1000 offer to pay half and get her to hand deliver it?

spitcurlboy

Number of posts : 100
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I'd tell her to go to a different PO and see if they'll let her send it. When I was in the US with Bolo a couple of years ago, I sent a parcel from Chicago and the Postie measured the box to make sure it was less than a certain size, however when in New York, I sent a larger parcel without any dramas at all. The $900 cost is definitely an international courier. And like Spitcurlboy said above, I'd look at spending a few hundred $$$ more and fly to the US myself to pick it up for that price.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm

I agree with TheGoodDr and Spit.I think you should go to America and get it + new toys in cheap acquisition (e.g. new ML for $14.95 each) + holiday @ NY great place or let her come here pay half-fare Very Happy

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks fellas.

Do you think cutting it in half would be a bad idea? I do worry about having a big gap through the middle of the runway! But it may be the best option.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Don't cut it in half. Believe me, I've had BIG parcels sent to me from the US. Most recent was this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251001965958?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Once packed, it was well over 26" long.......I can't imagine this playset would be any longer?? This cost $300USD to have sent via USPS (ignore the $788 stated in the auction).

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Firstly, that Space 1999 thing is awesome!!

Her measurements were 40"x55"x8".

I outlined the offending piece in white below:

It is a pretty big set...though it doesn't look 40" deep.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:30 pm

Holy toledo! That is fricken huge! You could almost sail that thing here from the US!

Last edited by TheGoodDr on Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 am

USPS united states postal service would be cheaper than ups courier prices.... They also offer tracking

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Surely there must be a cheaper way! Don't chop it in half! Have you tried exploring options like a container via sea? People import cars and items much bigger so it must be possible, although you may wait a while for it to arrive

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:19 pm

Mahzian wrote:Surely there must be a cheaper way! Don't chop it in half! Have you tried exploring options like a container via sea? People import cars and items much bigger so it must be possible, although you may wait a while for it to arrive

I would be happy to wait, but I had heard things are not sent by sea anymore...atleast some things anyway.

I recall using surface mail in the past. But not in the last several years.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 am

Jesus I'm jealous right now!

Space costs a lot less on a boat too, right? I am pretty sure they still do it, I had a canuck send me some Bionicle figures set via cargo boat (no idea why)... 4 months later they arrived... and one of them was wrong... was kinda funny. That was mid last year. Well, when it arrived. Very Happy

They do seem to do it, if you ask nicely... at least from Canada?

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:52 pm

Ah yeah 4 months, I ordered a Neon Genesis figure from the states once that took that long, actually totally forgot about it and thought the seller had pulled a shifty then bam

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Fedex, UPS or DHL will all ship it but the charge of over a 1K is normal. USPS will not ship it period. (Surface in the US went away in about 2007. The Max. they will ship is length 46", width 35", height 46" and max. length plus girth combined 108". I used it to ship a Tire to Australia at one stage. I been also talking to Shocka on here about getting a Cloverfield monster shipped using it which eeks in on size but still going to be about $250 to ship, but it not as big as Sams problem.)

You main problem is that it big in 2 dimensions. There are shipping services that ship stuff via containers, I don't know any off hand who I trust. (If you do cut it in half you will be able to ship it for about $200-$300)

Let me talk to my friend who knows all about container shipping when I get back in town next week. (My real job I work for a Trucking company) Be next week when I not fixing phone and computer stuff thanks to Texas twisters.

Your chances a USS Flag for sale in Australia are very slim (Although by change there was one up for grabs in the yojoe forums early this year in Australia not sure it sold or still for sale?) there is probably only 5 Period of this toy in the land of OZ. I had a friend in Melbourne that has one and he stated he going to be buryed in it before he sells it.

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:05 am

Thanks Stu. I'll talk to you when you get home.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:12 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top