Do you hate ebay auction sniping?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you hate ebay auction sniping?

Post by sher1888 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 pm

I was bidding on a hawkeye, then suddenly just 1 sec I lost. Bidding ends at 11:22 pm and the guy won just 1 sec of the clock so its 11:21pm and 59 sec.How the heck, did he make a bid in a sec. Ebay needs to patch up those software hacks such as sniper.

Last edited by sher1888 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you hate ebay auction sniping?

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:56 am

That's how I win any auction I bid on, a price war means you pay more most of the time, alls fair in love and war!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:52 am

I bid on the last 20 sec every auction , just mind boggling where the guy made a bid 1sec left of the clock and bid an amount which was higher than mine (I thought my bid was really high worth more than figure).

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:17 pm

It's known as "auction sniping" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auction_sniping.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Juggernaut on Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Might be stating the obvious, but my snipe rule is to place my only bid in the last 10 seconds, and dedicate as much as I'm willing to pay to that bid.

I've also been caught out many times, where I've gone to place that <10 second bid, and ebay needs to be logged in (my cookie expires Razz). The utter pain.

Juggernaut

Number of posts : 190
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2011-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:29 pm

@ BoloMusashi thanks for the correct terminology and the good info in wikipedia.

@Juggy, I was planning to get that software after losing the following: DCDIRECT Green Latern set ,Hawkeye, Deadpool,Phoenix green (got 2 dark phoenix for some reason PM with offer if someone is interested),Colossus ML (got the X-men classics) in 1 sec left of the timer.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulson13 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Fight fire with fire and snipe yourself. It isn't cheating, just smart.

hidbid.com is a good service to use.

Just remember that regardless of when your bid is placed, it still has to be the highest to win. EXCEPT, when 2 bids are the same or there isn't enough difference between them to meet ebay's minimum bid increment. In that case, the 1st one in wins.

(Automated) sniping is a convenience for people that want to avoid drawing early attention to an item, and 'nibbling' bidders (bidders who will bid the minimun increment over and over until they're the high bid), both of which normally result in a higher final price. If you have the time, you can do it manually.

A couple more benefits of sniping:

1. Sniping is actually a way of combatting shill bidding - when the seller or his buddy bids on the item until they're the high bid, and know your max, then retract their bid, and use yet another account to bid on the item, bidding just below your max. You don't give the shiller time to retract their bid in order to leave you as the high bidder, close to your max. You can't do much about a shill bidder letting their bid ride to the end of the auction, if it just raises but doesn't exceed yours.

Also, look out for 2nd chance offers, as they would be a reason for the shiller to let their shill bid ride, you may want to decline any and look for a different seller with the same item. Unless of course, the price seems ok with you, even though possible artificially jacked up.

2. You can just cancel a snipe with up to 2 or 3 minutes before the end of an auction, if you change your mind about bidding on an item, and your bid won't be placed. If you place a bid on ebay and then retract it (not a seller's or ebay's favorite thing), you can be blocked from bidding on other auctions after doing this a few times, not sure what that # is.

Anyone bidding on ebay should understand ebay's proxy bidding system (increases your bid only until it is the high, or it has been exceeded), and have an idea about their bid increments:

pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/bid-increments.html

pages.ebay.de/help/buy/bid-increments.html

Paulson13

Number of posts : 1
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2012-03-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 am

Same.....it is the ONLY way to bid......less than ten seconds to go with the maximum I'm prepared to pay for the item. It doesn't work every time but generally, I never miss an item I really, really want.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by PROVOST on Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I've done a LOT of sniping (manually - no programs),using my iPhone4 on the eBay app with the auction also loaded on my PC.

Wait and wait - have literally sniped with one second to go and next up from that - 4 seconds.

Ultimately it's totally allowed and not a sin.

PROVOST

Number of posts : 109
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:33 am

With more internet portable devices this has got easier to do. I think I even got apps on my smart phone for Ebay that remind me when stuff is ending.

(Although I got lazy. Usually if I find something I want I bid on it with the max amount I want to spend because I usually forget about the auction anyway)

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top