2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Post by Jor-El on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:05 pm

Final reminder... anyone?

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Post by DroothR on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Jor-El wrote:Final reminder... anyone?
So sorry!

I got waylaid by a migraine yesterday, which wiped me out, and today I had a bonus day with the kids out of the blue, so all of my time/plans were for naught. =P

I'll grab a drink, and get on my entry now.

It'll be in after midnight my time, but it'll be in before midnight WA time. Wink

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:13 am

Ok, voting is now closed. Thanks to everyone who has taken part.

If anyone wants to get votes in now, I'll consider it. But I'll be (slowly) working on the results presentation to have it ready for the 26th.

Stay tuned!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:34 am

Welcome to the results of the 2011 OzFigurama Toy of the Year Awards. Thanks to everyone who voted. Unfortunately, we received our lowest turnout ever, which is disappointing. Most of the categories were undecided, so I had to look at votes received over all categories to make firm decisions on winners. Obviously, the more voters we get, the less likely this occurs, so I'd like to extend the opportunity to everyone here to throw forward ideas, perhaps even take over for the 2012 awards, in order to encourage more involvement.

Nevertheless, I feel these awards have provided some worthy winners for 2011. Traditionally (and by that, I mean over the past two years), I've revealed the results for all categories on Australia Day itself. This year - something a bit different. I'm going to reveal two or three awards each day, with a grand reveal of the Toy of the Year and Display of the Year on Australia Day. Hopefully, this will lead to more discussion over each category, and perhaps be somewhat of an insight into what awards are worthy of keeping, as a common complaint/pattern is that there may be too much to vote on.

So, without further ado, the first two awards for 2011...

WINNER: Movie Masterpiece Series Superman The Movie Superman (Hot Toys)

For many of us, we've waited a long time for a Superman toy based on Christopher Reeve's likeness. There have been some efforts previously (such as Mattel's Superman The Movie 12 inch Movie Masters line), but nothing compares to the likeness that Hot Toys is known for. And they did not disappoint with this release.

The details are subtle, and the figure is simple. But the realisim that Hot Toys brings to the part just shows why they are easily the leader in the 1:6 scale market. The facial sculpt is spot on, the paint application is magnificent, and the proportions of the entire body are just perfectly thought out, that you'd swear this is a real person shrunken down to a sixth of their size.

So perfect that this figure is, it won it's category by the biggest margin of any single figure category. It was quite the runnaway winner.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - 2011 Toy Fairs Exclusive Batsuit Begins Batman/Bruce Wayne (Hot Toys); 3rd place - Terminator 2 T-800 (Enterbay)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics Panthor (Mattel)

This category has been dominated by video game based figures in recent years, which is somewhat a surprise given the popularity of the Masters of the Universe Classics line. This year, however, MOTUC has finally broken through and taken out the award with the big purple Panthor picking up the slack in 2011.

A fantastic scuplt, perhaps somewhat underappreciated as most is re-used from 2010's Battle Cat. But a new head sculpt and an amazingly designed helmet have made this kind a spectacular beast. There are some who desired flocking on Panthor, as a homage to the original toy. But the detail of the sculpt surely makes up for that, at least somewhat, in many a collector's mind.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Masters of the Universe Classics Wind Raider (Mattel); Popbot Blind Cowboy with Ghost Horse (threeA)

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:26 am

Sunday brings us our next three awards for 2011. As always, comments are welcome. Feel free to discuss the announced winners, and speculate on who will take out the remaining awards in the coming days!

WINNER: 2011 Take My Money Award - Masters of the Universe Classics (submitted by Gevaudin)

The MOTUC line has been a dominant force in collector discussions in recent years, but 2011 has seen it demand even more of our money for product we just have to have. If you locked yourself into the 2011 subscription, you would have received 12 monthly figures, 4 quarterly variants, 4 large scale products (beasts/giants/multipacks), and a subscription bonus figure. Add to that a couple of extra figures outside of the subscription, any re-releases you may wish to pick up, accessories periodically released, display stands, and a vehicle for the first time, the numbers are adding up for Mattel and subtracting from our wallets.

And with 2012 to feature even more (6 extra concept figures, a large scale dragon and who knows what else), this is the line that not only takes your money, but does it on a monthly basis.

Other submissions (in no particular order):
Sculpt of the Year - Hot Toys Jack Nicholson Joker (Dabigfella)
Most Overrated Toy Line - Masters of the Universe Classics (Diabolik Prime)
Most Playable Toy That You Can't Keep Your Hands Off - Transformers Masterpiece MP-10 Convoy (Sam)
Figures So Good They Forced Me to Army Build - Masters of the Universe Classics Eternian Palace Guards (Gevaudin)
Heated Discussion Award - anything anyone has to say about Masters of the Universe Classics subscription/sales/shipping/figure release choices (The Dr of Style)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Exclusive releases

I'm sure it is a bugbear for some, yet others truly revel in this, but exclusive releases are a bane for those who cannot obtain them, while those that do cherish them like their first born. For some, it is the rarity that makes an exclusive appealing. For others, it is disastrous to learn that one of their favourite characters is going to become unbelievably hard to obtain without taking out a small loan and using their house as collateral.

Whether it be the sizable in mass and price Premium Format Lion-O, the Hot Toys' Batsuit Begins figure only available at US toy fairs, or the MOTUC vs DCUC Battle Armor Faker and Bizarro pack, if you can get your hands on them, you may be living on tinned lentils for a while. If you can't obtain them without resorting to setting up a small meth lab to fund it, then you're plagued by sleepless nights wondering whether you'll ever find true love.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Masters of the Universe Classics (Mattel); 3rd place - Hasbro

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia states that happiness is a mental state of well-being characterized by positive emotions ranging from contentment to intense joy. Chances are, if you purchased this Superman release by Hot Toys, at least one of these emotions will be experienced. Perhaps you have experienced the full range.

The intense joy may have been experienced when this figure was first announced. Or perhaps when you received and opened it for the first time. The contentment definitely comes when you look upon it, time and time again, reflecting perhaps on something based on a person who, to many, is the iconic Superman of all-time. A lifelong dream has, for some, been realised by this item.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Masters of the Universe Classics; 3rd place - threeA

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 am

Day 3 of our reveals brings us three more awards. Some interesting winners, here. Feel free to discuss!

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics Wind Raider (Mattel)

The packaging on MOTUC's first vehicle has proven to be quite the success. With artwork by Rudy Obrero, who did artwork for the original 1980's line, there is quite the sense of nostalgia. This is the first MOTUC release that is blind boxed, allowing for the entire package to display some wonderful detail.

The artwork on the front is impressive enough, but the back of the box features a cool schematic of the Wind Raider, detailing numerous specifications. This is a package that is beautiful enough to be used as a display piece itself.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Movie Masterpiece Series Superman The Movie Superman (Hot Toys); 3rd place- Mattel Ghostbusters SDCC 2011 Exclusive Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics (Mattel)

This is somewhat surprising, but this immensely popular line has taken out this award quite convincingly. Perhaps it is not that surprising, given the complaints over numerous aspects of the line, particularly quality control and, more recently, shipping delays.

There were some specific issues people had. The debate over the second version of Evil Lyn is never ending. Most of it centres around her being some sort of hybrid between the 200X and classic toy version. Icarius has come under fire for loose wings, while who can forget the uproar over King Hsss'sss backwards shoulders?

Whether it is a delay in Demo-Man, missing guns on your Wind Raider, or a Swiftwind with two left legs, there are plenty of duds amongst the gems in this line. Pray you don't receive one!

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Thundercats Classic; 3rd place - Lego Pirates of the Caribbean Black Pearl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Hot Toys Hanna and McCauley from the movie Heat complete with diner table, coffee and over 15 minutes of dialogue (submitted by Diabolik Prime)

"You know, we are sitting here, you and I, like a couple of regular fellas. You do what you do, and I do what I gotta do. And now that we've been face to face, if I'm there and I gotta put you away, I won't like it. But I tell you, if it's between you and some poor bastard whose wife you're gonna turn into a widow, brother, you are going down."

"There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second."

It was a scene that only lasted a few minutes. But to that point in time, these two screen legends never shared a film scene before. They were both in the same movie before - the Godfather Part II, playing father and son. But never were they onscreen together.

I saw Heat in 1995 at the cinema. I was 16 years old, rapidly growing in my appreciation for dramatic films. It instantly became one of my favourites. If anyone made figures of these, I'd be all over it. If Hot Toys did it, it'd be worth the expense.

"So you never wanted a regular type life?"
"What the fuck is that? Barbecues and ballgames?"

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Survivor Heroes & Villains figures – fan voted 4 players from each series: Johnny Fairplay, naked Richard Hatch, Russell Hantz, Coach, Rupert, Tom, Ethan, Boston Rob, Ozzy, Colby, gravedigger James, “N-Word Crazy” Phillip; and a subscriber only “Girls in bikini” 10 pack: Parvati, Danielle, Elizabeth, Amber, Eliza, Stephenie, Jenna, Candice, Sugar, Mikayla plus random extra figure Cirie or Black Widow Jerry (submitted by The Dr of Style); 3rd place - Back to the Future Classics (submitted by Dabigfella)

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Ah, good old HT Superman. Me thinks I will have to break my 'No Hot Toys' rule for that. And the Batman Returns figures. And maybe a Batmobile....NO ARTISTIX BAD ARTISTIX!

MOTUC sure cops a flogging in general. I consider myself crazy lucky to not only have figures without faults, but to be completely happy with character choices. But hey, I wasn't buying MOTU/POP toys in the 80's so I don't have that many specific characters that I desperately wanted to see.

Now that I have said all that I will undoubtedly receive a Wind Raider missing both it's wings. Laughing

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:26 pm

I made the mistake of moving my Swiftwind yesterday... man, his wings suck. Sad

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:25 am

The next 2 awards are up. Probably no real surprise over the winners. Both had decisive wins, although one was fairly close.

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics Wind Raider (Mattel)

Following on from Battle Cat's win last year, the MOTUC line has again taken this out this award. In fact, they smashed all the placings quite convincingly. The Wind Raider, being the first vehicle of the line, has proven to be popular, taking out its second category.

Despite the Battle Ram being shown a year earlier by the 4 Horsemen, it was no surprise to see the Wind Raider chosen as the first vehicle in the line. It is an iconic mode of transport for the heroic warriors, and the Horsemen's design is quite breathtaking. They have also included a flight stand, which allows so many uses. Hopefully, this is only but the first of quite a few vehicles we eventually see.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Masters of the Universe Classics Swiftwind (Mattel); 3rd place - Masters of the Universe Classics Panthor (Mattel)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With two awards under its belt, it's no surprise to see this take out its third category, in quite a decisive manner. What more can be said about this release? Probably quite a bit, but really, I can't be bothered typing up any more superlatives.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Toy Fairs 2011 Exclusive Batsuit Begins Batman/Bruce Wayne (Hot Toys); 3rd place - Transformers Masterpiece MP-10 Convoy (Takara)

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 am

It's the penultimate day and three more award for everyone to discuss! Stay tuned tomorrow for the BIG reveal of the Toy of the Year and Display of the Year (including prize winners) tomorrow!

For the third time in three years, the line voted as best for the year is once again the Masters of the Universe Classics line. By a runaway margin, this line has outshone every competitor in the field. With monthly releases, an expanding universe, beasts, vehicles, multipacks, exclusives, weaponry... it continues to provide for the horde of fans who love it.

Can anyone get close? Perhaps... there is the return of Marvel Legends this year and Hot Toys continue to produce. But with the slew of releases to come this year, the king still reigns and would appear to do so for a long time to come.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Movie Masterpiece Series (Hot Toys); 3rd place - G.I. Joe: Pursuit of Cobra

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Mattel

Another three time winner, Mattel continues to dominate with its Masters of the Universe Classics line. It has seen its DC Universe Classics property take a change in direction, with online-only releases coupled with some retail product, and it's Ghostbusters line is being scaled back, no longer being offered as a subscription.

But it has expanded, not only with MOTUC but now a new line of Voltron lions and pilots. It has also had success with its WWE licence and no doubt relies heavily on staples such as Hot Wheels and Barbie. Mattel has taken out this award convincingly, but one suspects they could be challenged - Hasbro is back in the six inch figure market with the return of their Marvel Legends line, while Hot Toys continues to shine in the 1:6 scale area, bringing its realism to more licences and more collectors.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Hasbro; 3rd place - Hot Toys

Once again, a three time winner. Well, 2009's winner was Battle Cat, but in essence, the majority are looking forward to MOTUC product. It actually wasn't that specific, with voters looking forward to items such as Fisto and the Gryphon, and a possible Horde Trooper pack, and also looking forward in general to the 30th anniversary line of Masters of the Universe.

But there's more to want. Closely following MOTUC releases, there is a lot of love for Hot Toys' upcoming line of product based on characters and vehicles from the 1989 Batman movie. There is also a keen anticipation of the return of Marvel Legends.

2012 is shaping to be a good year for collecting. I hope you all get what you desire! See you tomorrow for the final award reveals!

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Movie Masterpiece Series Batman Batman and Batmobile (Hot Toys); 3rd place - The Return of Marvel Legends (Hasbro)

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:21 pm

Was I the only one who didn't vote for Masters Of The Universe Classics? I don't wanna be a downer on anyone who did but... seems a bit obsolete for everyone to vote the same. Glad 3A got a mention... actually... glad that anything besides MOTUC got a mention. Jor-El you have done a stellar job man... if anything YOU deserve a prize!

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm

diabolikprime wrote:Was I the only one who didn't vote for Masters Of The Universe Classics? I don't wanna be a downer on anyone who did but... seems a bit obsolete for everyone to vote the same.
Large Scale Item was the only catergory in which I voted MOTUC (not counting the negative awards).

*shrugs*

So far very little of anything I voted for rated any mention.

I guess my tastes are atypical?

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:58 pm

One of the main problems is there just weren't enough votes. :/

While a lot of categories had a clear winner, low vote turnout meant that it didn't really take much for MOTUC to win.

And some of the categories there was no decisive winner, so I made judgement calls based on votes received in other categories (ie. if something finished equal first along with 6 other things in the high-end category, it got a larger weighting if it received votes in the toy of the year category).

This is basically the reasons guys. And it'll probably mean these are the last awards, at least in this format. Just not enough interest shown (I'm sounding like ToyGuru now).

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 am

It would be a great shame if this were to be last awards because of lack of interest. Sheesh... it took me like 20 minutes to finish my nominations and in the big scheme of things that isn't that much time to devote to something as cool as this. Sad

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:12 am

Happy Australia Day everyone! Today is the final day of the 2011 awards reveal. Below are the Toy of the Year and the Display of the Year. I will be PMing prize winners so they can select their prizes. Order as follows:

- first pick: Display of the Year winner
- second pick: Person who correctly picked the top 3 and was closest in picking them in order.
- third pick: second best display
- fourth pick: third best display
- unnamed consolation prize: worst display

It was a tightly contested battle for the winner, but just squeezing through is the item that has taken out a number of awards already. For the second time, a Hot Toys product has won this award, but only just. This beautiful 1:6 scale figure of Christopher Reeve as Superman is a worthy winner and joins illustrious company: Toy Biz's Marvel Legends BAF Sentinel, Takara's Transformers Masterpiece Convoy (version with trailer), Hot Toys' first DX figure - the Joker from The Dark Knight, and last year's Battle Cat, from Masters of the Universe Classics.

The race was tight, and we almost saw a Sentinel figure (this time, the Marvel Universe version) win for a SECOND time! But it couldn't pip this magnificent version of the iconic Superman of our generation.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Marvel Universe Sentinel (Hasbro); 3rd place - Masters of the Universe Classics Wind Raider (Mattel)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WINNER: Dabigfella

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - The Iceman; 3rd place - Sam

Congratulations to Dabigfella for being the inaugural winner of the Display of the Year award! It was a slightly comfortable victory in the end, with DBF's collection rated as best or second best in 4 out of the 5 categories. He won by 7 points over The Iceman, who was voted best or second best in 3 categories. Sam came in third, despite being voted as best or equal best in 3 categories.

For the record, the best in each category (there were 7 people who voted, so top score possible is 35):
Theme: The Iceman and Dabigfella (34)
Volume: Sam (34)
Totality: Sam and Dabigfella (34)
Presentation: The Iceman (32)
Foundation: Jor-El (yay!) and Sam (30)

Congratulations to The Dr of Style, who correctly selected the 3 top ranked displays. He was closest, ordering it as DBF, Sam and The Iceman. Artistix also selected the top 3 correctly, but his order of Sam, DBF, The Iceman put him just behind TDOS.

The Dr of Style also wins a special consolation prize for WORST display. Smile I will hand deliver this to him and he can post his spoils if he likes. Wink

I will be contacting the winners shortly to arrange prizes! Thanks to everyone who voted and thanks to everyone reading! Have a great Australia Day and a great 2012. Hope you are all able to continue your addicition and devotion to your collection! Smile

.... Jor-El

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:42 pm

I have now PM'd all prize winners and asked for prize preference. You all have until 3pm WST Wednesday 1st of February to message me back and let me know what prize you wish. If I don't hear from you by then, you will forfeit your place in the prize order and I will issue the next in line their first preference.

Following this, If I don't hear from you by 3pm WST Monday 13th of February, you will forfeit claim on your prize completely.

Thanks again for participating! Smile

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:54 am

Yay! What a surprise, Sam's collection is out of this world and Art is going to have a full blown Toy museum on his hands very soon, so I never expected to win! Thanks for the votes my peeps!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:00 am

Truly humbled to get second prize amongst the other fantastic displays that were on show. Thankyou to all the guys that voted and a big thanks to Jor-El for all the time and effort in getting the comp up and running. Very Happy
P.S. I have made my selection and Anthony, it may well get me started down another collecting path. Wink

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Can't believe I got last in the displays.....you guys have no understanding of the fun and possibilities of blind boxed toys.....there's no telling what's hidden in the nappy boxes!

Huge belated thank you for Jor-el. Again for running this. Shame that the voting numbers were down but I think a majority of the awards were well placed. Hopefully some marvel stuff makes a showing next year and I'm guessing Hot Toys will lead the way again.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top