2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Post by Jor-El on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Hi everyone

2011 is nearing a close and it's time to vote for your favourite pieces of plastic crap from the past year.

We are now celebrating our 5th awards (Yay! Anniversary!) which have been held on a number of forums (OzFigures, Figurama and now OzFigurama). If you would like to view the 2009 or 2010 awards (which were hosted on this forum), you can view them here: 2009 2010

Some rules/FAQ that I know you won't read:

- How do I vote?
From the categories below, simply name what you think was the best toy or whatchamacallit in a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice format. Your first choice is awarded 3 points. Your second choice 2 points. Your third choice 1 point. These will be collated with all other votes and the highest scoring toy in each category wins. The voting for the best display will be voted for differently, so read that category for further specific info.

- How do I submit a vote?
Simply email me at ofta2011@iinet.net.au and I'll tally your votes for the categories you have voted for.

- How long do I have to vote?
Voting is open from now and will run until Sunday, January 8, 2012. I will tally the votes and post the awards soon after. The aim is to post the awards on Australia Day.

- Why should I vote?
This is your awards and without your contribution it won't be everything it can be. Plus, there's prizes. Wink

- Do I have to vote in every category?
Ideally, yes. But you may have not have interest in all categories. But remember, every vote counts! Voting for the best display category is mandatory, however.

- Do I have to vote for 3 things in each category?
Ideally, yes. Every point counts. If you're really stuck, do as best you can, but do try and get a 3-2-1 out.

Some review websites that may help job your memory (and there are plenty more out there):
Captain Toy - Michaels' Review of the Week
It'sAllTrue.net
The Foowsh
OAFE
ar-tic-u-lat-ed discussion

- Something was released late in the year, can I vote for it pre-emptively?
Yes you can. All items officially released up until the end of 2011 are eligible to be voted on. If you are yet to purchase, waiting for an order to arrive, or just like the item being released, you are more than welcome to vote for it. Many items receive votes despite not being viewed in person.

- Something was released late last year, is it eligible for this year's awards?
Yes, it is. There is a grey area, but one that is accepted. If an item was released very late in 2010, it is acceptable for it to be voted on for the 2011 awards. This is aimed to offer fairness for all things released, rather than have harsh cut off points. It is also incredibly difficult to determine release dates for some items, which is why a grey area is allowable.

- I've entered my display into the Best Display category, can I vote for myself?
Yes. All voters vote for all entrants. It is expected that you judge yourself as objectively as possible. Don't rate yourself down by any means. It will be acceptable for those who do not wish to vote for themselves to abstain from it. The average of votes received for each criteria (rounded down to the nearest whole number) will be issued to you via default as a replacement for you voting.

- I have an idea that would add to this. What should I do?
Send me a PM, or better yet, email me (ofta2011@iinet.net.au). If it's a good idea, I'd love to hear it. Bear in mind I'm trying to keep the categories simple and easy to vote on, and be as iconic as possible. Some ideas may be better suited for the Custom Award section.

So, the categories are as follows:

TOY OF THE YEAR
What has been hands down the best thing released this year? Whether you collected it or not, something was better than the rest.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Masters of the Universe Classics Battle Cat (Mattel); 2009 – DX-01 Dark Knight Joker (Hot Toys); 2006 - Masterpiece-04 Convoy (Takara); 2005 - Marvel Legends series 10 BAF Sentinel (Toy Biz)

LINE OF THE YEAR
When a lot of figures of similar type are released, this is what toy collectors call a "line". Not to be confused with a witty barb or something used to cast off in hopes of reeling in a marlin.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 and 2009 – Masters of the Universe Classics (Mattel); 2006 and 2005 - Marvel Legends (ToyBiz)

COMPANY OF THE YEAR
Who is taking your money? You know, more than you'll spend on your wife and kids per year.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 and 2009 – Mattel; 2006 and 2005 - ToyBiz (now Marvel Toys)

ART-BASED FIGURE (COMIC/ARTWORK/GAMING/MEDIA CGI) OF THE YEAR
This is for figures that are based on things that AREN'T REAL... and no, Smurfs are NOT real!
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS (ART-BASED): 2010 - Player Select Bioshock 2 Big Sister (NECA); 2009 – Player Select Dead Space Isaac Clark in Unitology Suit, SDCC Exclusive (NECA)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (COMIC-BASED): 2006 - Marvel Legends Wal*Mart Exclusive Giant Man BAF (Toy Biz); 2005 - Marvel Legends series 10 BAF Sentinel (Toy Biz)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (VIDEO GAME-BASED): 2006 - Street Fighter Round 4 Akuma (SOTA Toys); 2005 - award not held

REALITY-BASED FIGURE (MOVIE/TV/SPORT/MUSIC PERSONALITIES) OF THE YEAR
What's better than a statue of Mussolini? An action figure of Mussolini! Not to be confused with fictional dictator Smurfolini.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS (REALITY-BASED): 2010 - Terminator 2 T-800 (Hot Toys); 2009 – Tied award – Terminator 2 Pescadero Escape T-800 (NECA) and DX-01 Dark Knight Joker (Hot Toys)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (MOVIE-BASED): 2006 - Lord of the Rings Epic Scale Balrog (NECA); 2005 - Fantastic Four Series 1 Invisible Woman (Toy Biz)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (TV-BASED): 2006 - Transformers Masterpiece MP-04 Convoy (Takara); 2005 - Master of the Universe Mini-Statues Clawful (NECA)

LARGE SCALE ITEM (BEAST/VEHICLE/PLAYSET) OF THE YEAR
Anything heavier than your car qualifies for this category. Ok, maybe if you scaled down your car to 1:24...
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNER: 2010 - Masters of the Universe Classics Battle Cat (Mattel)

HIGH-END PIECE OF THE YEAR
They're expensive and you can probably pay your mortgage next month if you didn't have this nasty habit... but they just may very well be better than sex... O.O
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Inglorious Basterds Aldo Raine (Hot Toys); 2009 - DX-01 Dark Knight Joker (Hot Toys)

PACKAGING OF THE YEAR
Most of us throw this out, but to some, THIS is the collectable product. Personally, you can have my Big Mac wrapper while I eat the Big Mac, if you know what I'm saying? But still, we can all be impressed by how a toy is presented, and some just look better in their plastic or cardboard prisons. Anyway, I don't really like Big Macs.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNER: Inaugural staging of this award.

BIGGEST JOY OF 2011
Personally, she was blonde, wore revealing clothes and did unimaginable things (she's into horses)... but Bubble Power She-Ra was just a pleasure to receive. What brought you the most happiness this year? By the way, She-Ra was cheaper than a hooker, too. Wink
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Masters of the Universe Classics; 2009 - Mattel

BIGGEST PAIN OF 2011
Whilst it's probably painfully obvious - it's when you're setting up your figures and one falls over, so you go to fix it up and then knock over a couple more, and then you try and hold the first one in place while you fix the others and then a different one falls and half of your figures collapse like dominoes so you end up throwing the first one at them in a fit of rage, which breaks one of it's limbs, causing your anger to overflow into one gargantuan hissy fit... yeah, you know what I mean. Don't vote for that. Vote for something that has been painful to you in the collecting process.
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Mattycollector.com; 2009 - Mattel

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2012?
You gotta look forward, right? It's all about the anticipation. It's what drives us. We're never satisfied, content, happy with our lot in life... we must have more, and a new year definitely brings that.... more... more...
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010/2011 - Masters of the Universe Classics; 2009/2010 – Battle Cat

DUD OF THE YEAR (aka THE SCARLET MITCH MEMORIAL AWARD)
Over the past year, there was something you were waiting for, and when it arrived it was an absolute disappointment. Well, that's no way to think of your children, so please direct that disenchantment to a toy release and/or sexual partner when voting.
PREVIOUS WINNER: Inaugural staging of this award.

CUSTOM AWARD
As in previous years, come up with a good award and it's winner, and I'll pick the best ones. I'm fair, impartial and will be accepting gifts. PM me for bank account details.
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Biggest Surprise of the Year: LEGO Minifigures (submitted by DroothR); 2009 - Toys of the Decade: Marvel Legends (submitted by board NiteOwl).

YOUR OUT-OF-LEFT-FIELD TOY IDEA
If they haven't made it by now, what do you think they should make? Personally, I still can't believe they haven't made Saved by the Bell figures yet, complete with SDCC exclusive "Dirty Sanchez" Screech...
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2010 - Hoy Toys Tiger Woods “Rock out with my cock out” limited edition action figure & motel room playset – comes with at least 16 close female friends... that we know of (submitted by The Dr of Style); 2009 – Seinfeld figures (submitted by Artistix)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so they are the regular awards. Please vote on them. I can't force you, but I know people, alright? Anyhoo, here's something you CAN benefit from. A special award being introduced this year to honour your collections... it is time to vote for the...

DISPLAY OF THE YEAR
You have all been asked to submit pictures of your display via
this thread. Submission of displays is open until this Friday (December 2, 2011). Simply take pics, upload them somewhere (Photobucket, Flickr, whatever) and then post them as images in the thread.

Here's the kicker - there are prizes (which may or may not be added to):
- 1 set of 30 Days of Night film figures (3 figures, that come with a BAF child vampire)
- 1 Masters of the Universe Classics Buzz Off
- 1 Jonah Hex film Lilah
- A selection of Nintendo Mario Bros. Gashapon

The prizes will be award to...
... the person who's display is voted as the winning display, along with the first two runners-up
... the person who correctly places the top 3 displays
... the least popular display (this person will receive an "unnamed" consolation prize)

Determination of who receives what will be made at a later date.

Voting for this award is done a bit differently than above. As we have a number of entrants, you will be asked to judge EACH display (even your own, for more info, see the FAQ), giving scores for different aspects of their collection. Vote on each criteria on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 lowest, 5 highest)...

Theme: Can you work out an overall theme or themes for a collection? Is the collection 80’s toys, particular lines, particular characters, particular colours or another recurring element?
- A 1 would be a collection without any synergy, relationship or correlation at all, and a 5 would be an entire collection based on figures under 1 inch tall wearing white hats with little blue tails.

Volume: How overwhelmingly large is this collection? Size counts, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- If the collection requires a sub-basement, it is worth a 5 in this category, whereas a single shelf’s worth is probably closer to a 1. As an additional guide, if you couldn’t be bothered helping the person move their collection, you may be looking at a 3 or 4.

Totality: Is anything missing from this collection, based on the theme you’ve already determined? Does it feel like something important should be there that is missing?
- A Star Wars vehicle collection (theme) with no X-Wing would be a 1, whereas every single Marvel Legends in a Marvel Legends collection figure (theme) would be a 5.

Presentation and ornamentation: Just how pretty is this thing, anyway? Are flying figures hanging from invisible wires, and are there backdrops, dioramas, and a themed soundtrack playing for figures? Is there a war scene laid out in intricate detail before you, or are figures piled into a blob of intimate plastic?
- A collection of Jawas sitting in a desert-like sandpit, complete with wind machine would easily be a 5, and He-Man leaning against a sideways, deflated Turtle Blimp might be closer to a 1. Theme can be important here.

Foundation: This one is all about the shelving. Are the displays presented on a solid and aesthetically pleasing structure of some nature? In particular, look at whether the figures are presented on an object that will keep them upright and protected, but still show them off in a flattering light.
- A 5 would be a completely contained and internally lit glass cabinet setup, complete with rotating shelves, whereas a 1 might be closer to piling the entire collection on the carpet next to the dog basket. Theme may factor into this decision, so a sturdy shelf structure made from a material related to the theme might be worth a tiny bit more.

This criteria has been drawn up in an effort of fairness (let's face it, otherwise Sam would win :p but he may win anyway). Each entrant is to be judged and voted on via the following form you can copy and paste into email (put the score in the brackets provided, click on their name to see their display pics):

Artisix: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

Gevaudin: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

Jor-El: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

The Iceman: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

Sam: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

The Dr Of Style: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

Exciter: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

Dabigfella: Theme ( ) Volume ( ) Totality ( ) Presentation/Ornamentation ( ) Foundation ( )

I reserve the right to alter the criteria between now and the weekend, so please hold off on voting until then.

You also need to "rank" your top 3 placings to be eligible for prizes. If you select what is ultimately voted for as the top 3 (in order), you will be eligible for a prize. If no-one is accurate, it will be the closest (ie, top 3 selected, but out of order). If there is a tie in any way, shape or form, I will decide the winner by looking at their votes for the entire awards (not just the display category) and whomever is closest in their voting to the overall award winners will be declared the prize winner. Plese use the following template:

1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:

Let it be made clear that I will NOT accept incomplete votes for this category. If you do not rate each display via each of the 5 criteria AND list your rankings of who you think will be the top 3 displays, your votes will not be counted (as unfortunate as this may be, it's probably the only way to ensure participation). Participation in this category is mandatory for all voters. Please take the time to view, judge and vote on the displays presented.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's it folks! You have a lot of work to do! Remember the address - ofta2011@iinet.net.au. I EXPECT to see your votes. Traditionally, votes are received quite late and in lower than desired number. Please do your best to...

- Vote. This is your awards and your forum, so please contribute.
- Get your votes in quickly. I do ask that you wait until the end of this working week before submitting, to give display contest entrants more time. But after that, the quicker the better! Gives me more preparation time for the awards unveiling!
- Be thorough with your voting. As mentioned, you don't have to vote for every award, but please do. It doesn't take long to look up a few websites and see what's out there before forming your opinions. The more votes we get, the more comprehensive and accurate it will be. You may very well be the difference in deciding a category, and may even stop the MOTU fanboys from dominating! :p
- Offer feedback. I'm doing my best to make this a community thing, not a Jor-El thing. If you have any feedback, whether I use it or not, it's very much appreciated and welcome. I have used ideas in the past to make this thing better, and will do so if they make sense and are good ideas. If you feel like you can contribute (I am but one man), I welcome it. I do enjoy doing it each year, but that doesn't mean I should have all the fun!

Thanks everyone. Really looking forward to getting your votes and then delivering the outcome. Smile

Last edited by Jor-El on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:22 am; edited 10 times in total

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Post by Sam on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:34 pm

holy crackers voting time will be over by the time i finish reading all of this properly! lol.

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: 2011 OzFigurama Toy Awards - ALL AWARDS ANNOUNCED!! PG. 2 and 3 (UPDATED THU 26/01)

Post by Jor-El on Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:47 pm

Lol, I've updated the FAQ as I had a question asked (feel free to ask away, will add to the FAQ)...

- I've entered my display into the Best Display category, can I vote for myself?
Yes. All voters vote for all entrants. It is expected that you judge yourself as objectively as possible. Don't rate yourself down by any means. It will be acceptable for those who do not wish to vote for themselves to abstain from it. The average of votes received for each criteria (rounded down to the nearest whole number) will be issued to you via default as a replacement for you voting.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Jor-El wrote:... the least popular display (this person will receive an "unnamed" consolation prize)

Determination of who receives what will be made at a later date.

I'm feeling I'm a bit of a lock for this prize......can I request a wedgie as a prize?

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:05 pm

I dunno, I think you'll score well in theme and foundation... Wink

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:25 pm

It would be great to see a big turnout of voters this year, I hope you all participate as the more varied the votes, the more interesting the results are!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:10 am

Have updated the FAQ with a couple of items...

- Something was released late in the year, can I vote for it pre-emptively?
Yes you can. All items officially released up until the end of 2011 are eligible to be voted on. If you are yet to purchase, waiting for an order to arrive, or just like the item being released, you are more than welcome to vote for it. Many items receive votes despite not being viewed in person.

- Something was released late last year, is it eligible for this year's awards?
Yes, it is. There is a grey area, but one that is accepted. If an item was released very late in 2010, it is acceptable for it to be voted on for the 2011 awards. This is aimed to offer fairness for all things released, rather than have harsh cut off points. It is also incredibly difficult to determine release dates for some items, which is why a grey area is allowable.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:46 am

Just a reminder for votes. Don't leave them too late. :p

3 lots of votes received so far (including my own, lol).

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I'll get onto it. Feel free to remind me at work. Very Happy

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:34 am

Only 5 lots of votes received (and only 3 of those voted for displays).

Still 3 weeks everyone, but don't leave it until the last minute! :p

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:23 am

Done. Did that take anyone else about 2 hours?? Laughing

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:13 am

I lost track, myself. Razz

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:46 am

Another reminder. Voting closes on January 8!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:41 am

1 week until voting closes. Only 6 voters thus far, and only 4 for the best display award.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:58 pm

can't mention in in the rate my collection thread but love those Resaurus Street fighters Sam....very jealous...got rid of mine bar a couple of figures
votes in too!

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:34 am

Only 4 days left until voting closes...

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:14 pm

My votes are in, cheers, Rick Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am

3 days left people!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 am

2 days remaining... can we get to double figure voters?? :p

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Hey you collectors out there, Jor-El has gone to a lot of trouble to set all this up, it's a good bit of fun and also a way to share our thoughts on this unique hobby that we get so much enjoyment out (even though it may drive some of our wives and partners loopy.) Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:58 am

I've been flat out all holidays. I'll be doing my entry tonight. Smile

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:10 am

DroothR wrote:I've been flat out all holidays. I'll be doing my entry tonight. Smile

Good man. Smile

1 day left everyone! Every award is still wide open (even a new entry could possibly win some of them)!!!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 am

Voted Smile

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks sher! Get your votes in... almost every category is undecided, so anything could win... at this stage, I'm going to have to be creative to get definitive winners.

The best display is a tight race as well... there's a clear top 3 and any of them could win. Only 2 voters are in the mix for picking the top 3, so if you haven't voted, you have some good odds of getting in the running for a prize!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:29 am

Hey everyone... voting ends TODAY. Get your votes in or I'll start a name and shame of those who have been posting this past week but haven't voted! :p

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top