Marvel Legends (ToyBiz) vs Dc (Mattel)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marvel Legends (ToyBiz) vs Dc (Mattel)

Post by sher1888 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Pick your choice

I got my first fig of Mattel Dc Orion and I thought it was cool.

Last edited by sher1888 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Legends (ToyBiz) vs Dc (Mattel)

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm

I wouldnt put Hasbro in the same league as toy biz and mattel, but for me i think toy biz ml is the pick of the 3....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Mattels DCU. Toy Biz changed the collecting game with Marvel Legends, but DCUC has a uniformity of style that makes the line feel more complete.

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TahmidN on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:20 pm

ToyBiz Legends for me. I love articulation, and Toybiz Legends were the best at that. Combined with such diversity of designs, and high quality paint work it's toybiz legends for sure from me.

TahmidN

Number of posts : 134
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2011-02-03

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/tahmidn

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:27 pm

The Scream Man wrote:Mattels DCU. Toy Biz changed the collecting game with Marvel Legends, but DCUC has a uniformity of style that makes the line feel more complete.

$13 at qvb with that build a figure with the martian-hunter figure (not much of Dc fan except for the main ones) and also fan selection figure with the ? on the box.Sorry man do not know DC that much except for Aquaman, Green Latern, Batman, Superman , Wonderman, Hawkman,Green Arrow and Flash.

I just like the price,detailing and durability.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:29 pm

TahmidN wrote:ToyBiz Legends for me. I love articulation, and Toybiz Legends were the best at that. Combined with such diversity of designs, and high quality paint work it's toybiz legends for sure from me.

True awesome line and I wished that I collected it earlier still looking for a iron man series 1, Wasp and Antman,but also Hawkeye.They are over $40 each now.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:12 pm

The Scream Man wrote:Mattels DCU. Toy Biz changed the collecting game with Marvel Legends, but DCUC has a uniformity of style that makes the line feel more complete.

You know, that's the reason I didn't choose dcuc first....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 pm

Know what your saying Andrew. Although I have a lot of DC Universe figures, along side their Marvel Legend counterparts I feel like with early Marvel comics compared to DC comic equivalents they haven't quite the character. (And I don't mean that as knocking lovers of DC comics and characters 'cause I read alot myself). Just my opinion. Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:53 pm

ML.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:33 am

DC Universe Classics all the way with Stephanie Kay! The early Marvel Legends don't even compare. The thing that originally drew me to DCUC in the first place is that they were so compatible with each other and they actually looked like their comic counter-parts. The early Marvel Legends looked out of proportion and seemed to mistake bad paint jobs for articulation. The new Marvel Legends coming out completely blow the old ones out of the water.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:20 am

diabolikprime wrote:DC Universe Classics all the way with Stephanie Kay! The early Marvel Legends don't even compare. The thing that originally drew me to DCUC in the first place is that they were so compatible with each other and they actually looked like their comic counter-parts. The early Marvel Legends looked out of proportion and seemed to mistake bad paint jobs for articulation. The new Marvel Legends coming out completely blow the old ones out of the water.

Wow, so you're the one! Really? You think that the early ML's like captain America and series 1 iron man had bad paint? I thought scale wise they were perfect, paint apps were of high quality, add that to the articulation and they nailed it! Not all comic characters are the same size as each other, which is why dcuc doesn't rate, the odd c n c fig just looks out of place. You truly are the only person I've heard not rate the early ml over hasbros later efforts! Smile

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:11 am

Maybe I am the only one out there! Very Happy ... and if I am... in the words of Unicron... "It pleases me to be the first." It's just my opinion man, nothing more. The early ones just don't do it for me, what can I say? They just look out of place next to one another. Some have scrawny bodies that are too scrawny for some of them, some have strangely long limbs that (to me) don't compare with the compatibility of DCUC. The Build-A-Figures they came out with scale wise were great but I'd still take a C&C figure even though the scale is wrong of the latter. I just think that DCUC are a better interpretation of what the comic characters look like rather than early Marvel Legends. I just don't see what's so great about them. It's not a competition... if I had to pick one or the other it would be DCUC by a long shot. No big deal. Smile

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:28 am

I'm a big DC comics fan (much more so than Marvel these days) so I'm probably bias but I have a heck of a lot of both ML and DCUC. My choice would be DCUC because of the superior paint apps and uniformity, when you get them all up against each other they look much better than a bunch of ML's IMO. ML's tend to look like they are based on different artists / scales while DCUC's consistency really makes it for me, it also makes the not so consistent CNC's and odd figures really pop out

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:52 am

Mahzian wrote:I'm a big DC comics fan (much more so than Marvel these days) so I'm probably bias but I have a heck of a lot of both ML and DCUC. My choice would be DCUC because of the superior paint apps and uniformity, when you get them all up against each other they look much better than a bunch of ML's IMO. ML's tend to look like they are based on different artists / scales while DCUC's consistency really makes it for me, it also makes the not so consistent CNC's and odd figures really pop out

Have you considered posing them against each other haha Very Happy

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:32 am

sher1888 wrote:Have you considered posing them against each other haha Very Happy

Yup I want to but just don't have the space at the moment Sad All my ML's are packed away haven't seen them for years, I'm still a little bitter about what Hasbro did to that line, it was a truely excellent series before they came along.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:29 pm

Mahzian wrote:
Yup I want to but just don't have the space at the moment Sad All my ML's are packed away haven't seen them for years, I'm still a little bitter about what Hasbro did to that line, it was a truely excellent series before they came along.

You and me both. While I have collected both lines (Toybiz ML and Mattel DCUC) over the years, my heart definitely leans towards the ML line. I remember going into a fit of uncontrollable geek-rapture after spying the wave 1 Iron Man and Captain America figures on the pegs. IMO these babies were straight out the comic books.

I think the ML line started to suffer after fans start demanding more articulation and started getting a tad OCD about scale etc. One of the things I liked about the DCUC line is the generic bodies (which do range in size and builds) and the reduced POA (points of articulation). DCUC and the MU line have to be congratulated on their B and C-lister selection ... you gotta love the unloved Very Happy

Most of my ML collection has either been sold off or passed on as gifts to friends that have holes in their collections or my mate's kids. I've only bothered to keep a couple of my ML favs and customs.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:49 pm

OMG forgot to pick up the legends on the mail, been busy BoloMusashi.

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 pm

I largely agree with Bolo; ML got to overly articulated and it got ugly, and the bodies got weak and distorted. The DCUC figures could certainly use more; Double elbows and knees and wrist hinges would be great. But toe joints, finger joints double shoulders etc etc, it just gets to much.

Or else, if u are going to multi joint, go over to the Japanese system where the joints are tighter and yet the sculpting is still maintained. I mean check this out:
SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Ryuki
*Ball joint at base of skull
*Ball joint at bottom of Neck
*ball joint shoulders, each in a larger ball socket that lets the shoulders shift around as well.
*Swivel biceps
*Double joint elbows
*Swivel and Hinge wrists
*ball rib joints
*ball waist
*ball and hinge hips
*swivel thighs
*double joint knees
*swivel and hinge ankles
*pin toes

As well as that u get alternate hands and sometimes alternate heads. Now granted that was a $70 toy, but u also got the dragon and it's an import so there's that.

Im just saying that sculpt and artic can work together well. ML's didnt do that often. Sure there are some real standouts: ML6 brown Wolvie, McFarlane Spiderman, Psylocke.... hell even GOOD ones are pretty common. But then there are some ones that are such a mistake or SO close but not quite: Face Off Cap has the ugly face and hunched shoulders, Astonishing Beast and White Queen are just HORRIBLE, a lot of the newer figures have those lame ass ball hips that dont look right all the time... so many instances of "close but not quite.

DCUC has its issues as well; Mary marvel, guy Gardners giant head, Black Canarys hips.... but they have a lot more good points than bad.

aaaand Im done now. Smile

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 pm

The Scream Man wrote:I largely agree with Bolo; ML got to overly articulated and it got ugly, and the bodies got weak and distorted. The DCUC figures could certainly use more; Double elbows and knees and wrist hinges would be great. But toe joints, finger joints double shoulders etc etc, it just gets to much.

Or else, if u are going to multi joint, go over to the Japanese system where the joints are tighter and yet the sculpting is still maintained. I mean check this out:
SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Ryuki
*Ball joint at base of skull
*Ball joint at bottom of Neck
*ball joint shoulders, each in a larger ball socket that lets the shoulders shift around as well.
*Swivel biceps
*Double joint elbows
*Swivel and Hinge wrists
*ball rib joints
*ball waist
*ball and hinge hips
*swivel thighs
*double joint knees
*swivel and hinge ankles
*pin toes

As well as that u get alternate hands and sometimes alternate heads. Now granted that was a $70 toy, but u also got the dragon and it's an import so there's that.

Im just saying that sculpt and artic can work together well. ML's didnt do that often. Sure there are some real standouts: ML6 brown Wolvie, McFarlane Spiderman, Psylocke.... hell even GOOD ones are pretty common. But then there are some ones that are such a mistake or SO close but not quite: Face Off Cap has the ugly face and hunched shoulders, Astonishing Beast and White Queen are just HORRIBLE, a lot of the newer figures have those lame ass ball hips that dont look right all the time... so many instances of "close but not quite.

DCUC has its issues as well; Mary marvel, guy Gardners giant head, Black Canarys hips.... but they have a lot more good points than bad.

aaaand Im done now. Smile

I got the ultimate cap, I think its similar withe face off and yeah the articulation is quite horrible, but also the joints might break got weaker compared to the earlier series.I loved the series 1 cap, which its on display at my desk.Japanese Toys are expensive but very durable, and very good detailing.I have some those Japanese Robot (Mazinger Z) that were made from the 70's and 80's . the paint has not deteriorated .

sher1888

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:07 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top