What is the most you have spent on a figure?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What is the most you have spent on a figure?

Post by The Iceman on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Out of curiosity anyone out there own or has owned one of these currently on eBay auction:-
Marvel Legends X-men Series Bobby Drake Iceman Rare Figure
Item number: 320786128558
Member id tuners36 | Feedback Score Of 13223 | 99.5% Get fast postage and excellent service from Top-rated sellers.

Current bid on US $510.00 + US $19.00 postage
or AU $493.23 AU $18.38

Still got 17 hours to go.

Happy to say I have one mint on card but didn't pay anything like that. I am basically a loose figure collector nowadays but this one is staying on card. It is rare like Dragon Man and I consider it a gem in my collection but can't believe the two guys bidding for it would get that carried away. A pity eBay blocked the ability to message bidders as I would be tempted to message the runner-up.
So what is the most you have paid for a single figure? (make sure wives and partners do not have access to your answer unless they understand your obsession with collecting plastic.) Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What is the most you have spent on a figure?

Post by sher1888 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I would never pay that much for a single figure, unless if you have a lot of money .If you say which toy that I would like to spend more than $500 is the 1977 Voltes V http://www.collectiondx.com/node/867.

However , I would pay for a Hawkeye or Deadpool MOC for $70 without postage.

My recent would be those Marvel Select that goes for $30-$40.The most that I ever spent on a figure was collecting the entire Spawn series from series 1 to 8 ( can't remember) and I think got the Melbogia figure for $60 MOC at that time.

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 pm

My premium formats ran more than $500, but my Spirit Grayskull was closer to $600 so it definately wins, and worth every penny!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Off the top of my head... I would say probably $100ish for a figure that shouldn't be priced that much (eg. 200X exclusive Keldor). Back in the day when I was single and living under my parents' roof. Have spent more than that on other items though (eg. Takara MP Convoy... NECA Balrog... will spend on upcoming Hot Toys Supes and Bats).

But here's something that'll make your head spin - sold a Spice Girls CD single about 6 years ago for $600 on eBay. Go figure...

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:14 pm

About $350 (incl. shipping) to preorder the Masterpiece Convoy - Perfect Edition Transformer.

Which then (inexplicably) showed up at Target 6 months later for $120 (IIRC). Embarassed

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Figure-wise, I paid just over $200 for the Lego Boba Fett mini figure that only ever appeared in the Cloud City set (here's one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-BOBA-FETT-Star-Wars-10123-Cloud-City-Minifigure-NEW-/160676884145?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256916aeb1)

I paid over $250 for the Kubrick Snowtrooper that was only available in the ESB 5 pack.

And I paid over $350 for a boxed remote control Iron Giant toy from Trendmasters.

In saying that, these prices pale in comparison to some of the other items I've recently acquired as part of my collecting habit Wink I've always been of the opinion, if I want something bad enough, I'll pay what-ever it takes to get it! Smile

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:47 pm

I'm not a MOC collector, so I don't think anything I chase is worth *too* much.

I think I paid around $120.00 or so for the Masterpiece Optimus Prime, which is pretty much the most I've ever paid for a single "toy".

I vaguely recall paying a fair bit for mini-statues of Xena, Gabrielle, Callisto and Ares, but that was more due to the postage from the US. The Gabrielle and Ares statues were actually quite cheap.

If I ever win the lotto (which will be a miracle since I never enter), I will be buying the Japanese exclusive "replica" Stinky Pete the Prospector which has been on Ebay forever with a BIN price of $1,000.00 or so.

I also strongly considered getting Mattel's upcoming Voltron Classics, but I just couldn't justify the expense. I'm sure it will be a fantastic toy and I'll probably be green with envy once the first reviews start popping up for the Red Lion next year, but $300.00 plus unknown shipping was just too rich for my blood.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 pm

DroothR wrote:About $350 (incl. shipping) to preorder the Masterpiece Convoy - Perfect Edition Transformer.

Which then (inexplicably) showed up at Target 6 months later for $120 (IIRC). Embarassed

Don't you hate this? You never can tell what is going to be released here. I remember paying overs for a Movie Masters Joker before they turned up everywhere.

It's just so much of a crapshoot with Aussie stores.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stencilator on Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:37 am

The most I've paid for a single figure was $200 for a Transformers Binaltech Clear Rijie (Mirage). I have no regrets about that purchase - which is rare - as he is a highlight of my collection. Most of the time I get the collecting bug about a particular figure and decide that I need it now at any cost and pay stupid money right before they're dumped on Australian shores on the cheap to get rid of them. BT-18 is a beautiful figure and it is fairly rare so I'm ok with the price tag.

(please don't tell me they're going cheap now on ebay... I'm too scared to look.)

stencilator
Terrible Posture

Number of posts : 122
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:38 am

TheGoodDr wrote:And I paid over $350 for a boxed remote control Iron Giant toy from Trendmasters.

Those are awesome!

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:54 am

I spent $600 on a figure. It was not what it was supposed to be.

I learnt my lesson.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:17 am

Most of the time I get the collecting bug about a particular figure and decide that I need it now at any cost

I know exactly what you mean! I'd completely forgetten about one particular figure that I have.......
I went through a "Stormtrooper" faze at one point about two years ago and decided I wanted one on a 21 Card Back with the Boba Fett Redemption Offer. I eventually tracked one down and spent $1000 to get it. The reason I'd forgotten about it is because the damn figure just sits inside a cupboard now. I don't think I've ever had it out on display.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:45 am

Artistix wrote:I spent $600 on a figure. It was not what it was supposed to be.

Goodness gracious! What figure was that? Was it MOC?

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:39 pm

Just under $400 for my 1/24 Ingram from Patlabor. A lot of my Macross jets are 150/300 each. But those days are past, and Id rather spend all that money to get a bunch of figures rather than one big one.

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Xenaphobia wrote:
Goodness gracious! What figure was that? Was it MOC?

Well, it's a bit embarrassing, & kinda long....but...

Back in '87 or so Galoob made a set of Star Trek Next Gen figures. The second wave was cancelled due to stores only allocating space for Trek micro machines.

Wesley Crusher & the Romulan were initially cancelled, but eventually released in very small numbers...maybe 500 each at a convention or something.

Jump forward to about 1998 & I see an eBay auction for a Galoob Wesley (for about $4,000), but interestingly the seller also had a loose Galoob Dr. Beverly Crusher (I loved Bev!).

No-one had ever heard of or seen this item on the Star Trek e-mailing list I have been on for over 10 years, Playtrek. The eBay seller told me she was a mock-up made by Galoob to use for promotional material. His grandfather worked for Galoob & thats how he got a carded Wesley & the loose Beverly.

He was selling her for $200, but then decided he couldn't let her got for any less than $600.

When I receive her she is a Tasha Yar figure with GIJOE 80's Baroness' hairpiece.

It is highly doudtful this is a Galoob mock-up, & more likely a custom.

But who knows...

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Now that would make for an interesting thread.....lotsa money thrown down on a figure that in hindsight you regret BIG TIME!

I spent $180.00 on a custom Eric Carr KISS doll earlier this year. When I got it, BOY, was I disappointed! It turned out to be a heap of junk (to put it politely) Sad

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Crikey, I don't feel nearly as guilty now having spent $90 to get my Bobby Drake figure after reading some other outlays. I guess we are all addicts to our collections, I have collected action figures since 1995 and I still get the 'must have in my collection feeling' when I see something new coming out even though it might be several months off of release. But as I tell my lovely wife I could be doing a lot worse things with my money. Wink

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:10 pm

@ Artistix

Hmmmmm. You should just take the "glass is half full" approach and consider it to be a mock-up. I've seen plenty of other mock-ups/proto-types that were just bits of different action figures mixed and matched together, so it's possible.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:45 pm

For me it was my Masterpiece Megatron at around $200 when they first came out. And then my G1 Soundwave with a selection of cassettes which from memory cost me about $100 all up by the time postage was added.
I also bought my wife 3 Barbies for a total of about $350 all up as birthday presents(keeps me out of trouble)

Blaster

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2010-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Iceman on Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:24 pm

You made me laugh Blaster. I too went down the path of getting my wife collecting Barbies back when I worked at World4kids to offset my then growing obsession with action figures. Then in more recent years she has collected Beanie kids but has since stopped. I think after all these years of marriage she was awake up to me anyway.
Wink Wink Wink

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:41 pm

My Premium Format pieces cost me some decent cash and a couple of the discs in my spine .... those mofos are heavy.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:48 am

I am ashamed to say $395 for a Hot Toys Iron Man Mark II MISB. It's still a little cheaper than what's out there on ebay but still a lot of cash. I'll be glad when Hot Toys exhausts all their properties.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:30 am

Cant remember the exact amount but I think about$70-90 each for ML Nova and Rogue

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 am

Otter wrote:Cant remember the exact amount but I think about$70-90 each for ML Nova and Rogue

Ouch! Trying to remember what people paid for Scarlet Mitch back in the day *urgh* unsexy

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:07 am

The Iceman wrote:Out of curiosity anyone out there own or has owned one of these currently on eBay auction:-
Marvel Legends X-men Series Bobby Drake Iceman Rare Figure
Item number: 320786128558
Member id tuners36 | Feedback Score Of 13223 | 99.5% Get fast postage and excellent service from Top-rated sellers.

Current bid on US $510.00 + US $19.00 postage
or AU $493.23 AU $18.38

Still got 17 hours to go.

Happy to say I have one mint on card but didn't pay anything like that. I am basically a loose figure collector nowadays but this one is staying on card. It is rare like Dragon Man and I consider it a gem in my collection but can't believe the two guys bidding for it would get that carried away. A pity eBay blocked the ability to message bidders as I would be tempted to message the runner-up.
So what is the most you have paid for a single figure? (make sure wives and partners do not have access to your answer unless they understand your obsession with collecting plastic.) Smile

Hi Rick,

I found this, I think it has everything except for that Bobby Figure.I rather buy this than spending over $500 on one figure Cool .It has the other rare figs from that line.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rogue-Avalanche-Wolverine-Angel-Storm-Iceman-X-MEN-CLASSICS-MISP-/260844577031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cbb8c6107#ht_1193wt_889

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top