The nay-sayers were right after all... MotUC on the decline

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The nay-sayers were right after all... MotUC on the decline

Post by DroothR on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:06 am

Apparently the 2012 subscription has a record low number of subscribers. Sad
First off, as expected we have well passed our min sub order to keep the line going. (MOTU fans are committed!) BUT, I do want to let you know that we are actually at our lowest sub sale yet. Which unless we get a huge bump in sales this week, this means Shadow Weaver will likely be the lowest produced figure in the whole line! Wow.
http://he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2074

This with 3 classic original MotU characters lined up in a row for the first 3 months. Shocked

No

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The nay-sayers were right after all... MotUC on the decline

Post by Jor-El on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am

Not surprised. A lot of heavy hitters already made. Star Sisters would be a major turn off for many. A lot of guys don't want "girl figures". A lot of people cutting back from multiple subs so they can afford other things (ie. Voltron sub?).

Cherry picking is not that painful, either. Mattel will know this. They'll scale back and drive up demand again to get people subbing. Unfortunately, this may well kill them long term.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:59 am

I was torn between Voltron and MOTU this time. Maybe I could afford both, but to be honest, I didn't feel like being tied in for both. I picked MOTU, and I'll just have to play my lions by ear. :/

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:25 am

I will stick with you till the bitter end MOTUC! I love you

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Artistix wrote:I will stick with you till the bitter end MOTUC! I love you
That makes at least 2 of us!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:17 pm

Was always going to happen.....while there is probably less demand for subs it may not mean that actual demand is down and their total sales will drop.....

but any POP stuff of course will have lower sales numbers... it's the audience, I'm assuming a high % of MOTUC customers are males say 25-40ish.....how many are into She-Ra characters beyond the 4-5 main characters? and at $20-30 a figure?..........the problem with subs/ BAF schemes is that at some point you've got people spending money on stuff they don't want, and how regularly are they going to be pissed off. ie that 20th version of wolverine..to get your BAF....now I can sell off any of my Masters unwanted easily......how easy will it be to sell off swiftwind/starsisters and the more obscure POPs..(not very methinks) .And I definately don't want to shell out big $ for a frick'n huge dinosaur with lasers in it's chest... In the end it's a business and the effort/cost/profit margin is the decider....

Like the Qantas GM on tv this morning
koshie - so you're cutting 1000 jobs? what does that say about our national carrier, you represent Australia?
Qantas CEO - Qantas international lost $250 million last year..... "do you want to make up the shortfall baldie?"

Now yes Mattell don't need to make the margins on each figure a company like SOTA did but eventually a call will get made....like it did with Streetfighters, that's why they tried a pre-order to get Darkstalkers to be released......... there you had a small company- the line aimed at a small niche market where they had a good run.....as Mattell is so huge and MOTUC is a small line for a niche market eventually an exec will say whats the point? they'd never do a preorder system for individual figures...that works well for someone like ThreeA where they sell 500-1000 figs, Mattell wouldn't waste their time......

what's the solution? release all the heavy hitters and we'll never see that one kooky character that you liked but no one else did, or hold off on ram man until too many people have dropped out holding pegwarmers they can't sell, waiting for Dee-Jay or Zangief to be made

Rambling rant over....hope some of it made sense

Spoiler:
Oh yeah I purchased a sub for next year......MOTUC RULES cheers .......POP not so much silent

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Now where did I make that post where I rambled on about how MOTU was on the decline and forcing people into subs was merely a mechanism whereby fans (suckers I believed was my 'technical' term) bought stuff that they don't really want? Wink

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:42 pm

The thing is it's hard to get into a line at this stage, given a lot of the heavy hitters aren't available anymore and you have to scour the secondary market for them.

Plus, and you can see this in comics, people naturally fall away from a line, for whatever reason.

That said, it can't be doing that badly if they are planning on vehicles and figures like Granamyr.

And I reckon people have soured on the subs because of the slightly more obscure and POP characters. I guarantee if they did a sub of vintage characters, just from the original line, that would sell much better. Sure, those who want characters like Carnivus would be disappointed, but surely it's better to get the core characters made early rather than not at all.

I just absolutely pray that Ram Man gets made.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:59 pm

In addition to (retardedly) frontloading the main characters in the line, I think another potential factor to consider in the drop in subscribers are the many snafus Mattel has had in the last year, which has damaged goodwill with the customer.

Eg. Roboto's shoulders, then not only King Hssss suffering the same fate, but his crotch piece was designed so that he can't bend his legs forward (no sitting for Hssss), and of course botching She-Ra's construction, so that people need to buy 2 figures to get 1 single iconic She-Ra that can sit on a mount.

Events that many people may see as reason to just pick on sale day, to avoid being locked into undesireable quality products.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:12 pm

I'm with you DroothR....even though QC has generally been very good, when there are noticable issues, particularly with premium costing figures, the faults become emphasised.

I think the addition of vehicles was more of an attempt to create momentum again.

As I said in my original piece, I really believe most toy lines have a popularity run of about six years and Mattel's dream of having this line go on for the time period that they were hoping for (by dragging it out with the splattering of POP figures and obscure characters like Granamyr) was really pie-in-the-sky stuff.

The line would have been far more succesful if these characters, and these characters alone were produced: http://pages.suddenlink.net/soundwavempl/motuvfigs/motuvfigs.html
Most people wouldn't have thought twice about signing up to a sub if it was clearly demonstrated that all the chore characters were to be produced. To simply expect fans to continue to subscribe in the hope that we might see Ram Man one day is pretty poor.

The fact Ram Man, Mekanek, Two-Bad were never produced early in the line illustrates to me that Mattel weren't really sure how successful the line would be.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:17 pm

That line up would be perfect.

Honestly I would have prefered POP had its own line if anything.

But, I'll take what I can get for MOTU at least.

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 am

I'm happy to see POP in MOTUC, but with the exception of She-Ra, Bow and Catra, I don't think we really have.

Sure, The Star Sisters are technically "POP", but I'd never even heard about them other than in MOTU forums and I certainly don't recall their single appearance in the POP cartoon.

I think that if we were seeing more POP characters that had been "classicised" along the lines of Bow (as opposed to She-Ra V1.0), then more POP would be welcome by a majority of MOTUC fans. With some tweaks, there are quite a few POP designs that could be cool female warriors and it's not like MOTU was ever over-flowing with Amazons.

That typed, I do think if Mattel want to see the subscription, then they need to reassure people that they'll be seeing the likes of Ram-Man, Clamp-Champ, Two-Badd, etc sooner rather than later. Especially since the Filmation announcement which increases the likelihood of seeing even more obscure characters from the cartoon join the MOTUC line. I'm sure we all have favourite characters who we wished had action figures back in the day, but what I remember most about MOTU isn't the cartoon, but the toys which lasted well beyond the time when the cartoon was no longer shown.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:47 am

P.S. Somewhat off-topic, but is anyone on these forums "Andrew" from SBS' "Behind the Front Door" series with the impressive MOTUC collection and a fiancee who lets him publicly display his collection?

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oz-Scott on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:12 am

I'll be sticking with MotU till the end too!! I can't get enough.
I think it's sad that so many MotU fans are so anti PoP. Guys love the girls from DC and Marvel, but are so against the girls of PoP. It makes no sense to me.

I can't wait for 2012. It's gonna start with a bang!! Very Happy

And, no, I don't know who this Andrew is? Has the episode been on yet?

Oz-Scott

Number of posts : 189
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:32 am

Just received an email from entertainmentearth.....they'll have stock of the DC Vs MOTU 2pks later in the year (Wave 1). No doubts this is stock that TRU couldn't sell that has been sold to EE as "close out".

Last edited by TheGoodDr on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:35 am

Against POP? Not really.

Lack of interest or knowledge of the characters? YES.

Its hard to justify the money as it is, let alone on characters I dont even know.

I just would have personally preferred that they didn't mix their apples and oranges, giving a MOTU lineup and a POP separate.

At least the horsemen do it well enough that its not complete loss lol, and if you are around then I still have a home to send the star sisters too!! *$60 for 3 figures I could care less about going to a home that will appreciate them is a good thing*

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:36 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Just received an email from entertainmentearth.....they'll have stock of the DC Vs MOTU 2pks later in the year (Wave 1). No doubts this is stock that TRU couldn't sell that has been sold to EE as "close out".

But I am sure that EEarth wont be using 'close out' prices though hey!

I never did nab a heman pack or skull face, lamenting the heman though...

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 am

A lot of wise comments in here. The problems with Mattel trying to please everyone is that they will end up pleasing no one. This line won't get EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER that everyone wants produced. It just won't. If it does, it's probably broken new ground for a toy brand.

It's sad, in a way, because we don't know who it is we'll never get, but it will be someone, whether it be Ram Man or Two Bad or Modulok, etc.

I know they want to pad it out as best they can, but does anyone really need Draego Man? Sure, he looks cool, but you do realise you're going to get Draego Man and never get someone who is a classic character. :/

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:33 am

Well thats it. Your point with Draego man is how I feel about the POPs being there, ie, who am I probably NOT going to get because of those damn star sisters *ahem*.

The 'inclusive' ordering system that apparently was used by sideshowtoys for some figures sounds fantastic IMO.

Beginning of year, this is EXACTLY the list of characters we are making. Preorders open, deposits on it, and then the factory is only requested on what is needed.

Down side is low numbers on some figures, but higher on others. But its guaranteed sell through or at least deposits are free money if they bail out.

hrmm....

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:42 am

Sam wrote:Well thats it. Your point with Draego man is how I feel about the POPs being there, ie, who am I probably NOT going to get because of those damn star sisters *ahem*.

The 'inclusive' ordering system that apparently was used by sideshowtoys for some figures sounds fantastic IMO.

Beginning of year, this is EXACTLY the list of characters we are making. Preorders open, deposits on it, and then the factory is only requested on what is needed.

Down side is low numbers on some figures, but higher on others. But its guaranteed sell through or at least deposits are free money if they bail out.

hrmm....

Be careful mate, you are making a hell of a lot of sense!!

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:38 am

better slap me out of it then Owly ! lol.

But seriously would be awesome if it was just, well, organised !

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:12 pm

If only Mattel had used Ram Man for for the Sub exclusive this year......they would have sold a record number of subs! Wink

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Sam wrote: Beginning of year, this is EXACTLY the list of characters we are making. Preorders open, deposits on it, and then the factory is only requested on what is needed.

100% agree. I would HAPPILY pre-order and PAY for MOTUC figures 6 to 12 months in advance based on a character announcement alone - no need to see a fully realised proto-type. I would still like to see them make perhaps 10% extra for sale on mattycollector.com because there are some figures which I didn't intend to get, but definitely wanted once I saw the figure.

BUT for those figures I know I'll want irrespective of whether they're based on the original comic books, classic figures, Filmation, 200X or some kind of hybrid, then all I need is their name and I'll hand over my $20 plus shipping.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:31 pm

I don't mind girly looking figures. I own Barbies so I guess thats obvious! Very Happy

I plan to enjoy MOTUC with my little nephew & niece as soon as they are old enough. Noah is 3 & Siana is turning 5, so the time is soon.

Characters like the Star Sisters will really help bring Siana into the universe.

I thought of maybe reading the MOTUC bio narrative while acting it out with the figures for them...but that might be more work than it sounds! Laughing

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 pm

TheGoodDr wrote:If only Mattel had used Ram Man for for the Sub exclusive this year......they would have sold a record number of subs! Wink

You just know they will for the 2013 sub. :p

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:27 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down