Star Sisters 3-pack

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Sisters 3-pack

Post by Artistix on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:07 pm

Just reading the Star Sisters thread over at the Org.

I wasn't really sure what any of their abilities were before reading the MOTU magazine stories which are posted in full here:
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?p=2795070#post2795070
The stores also include some cool uses of Entraptas braid power!

Starla - Able to sense danger (spidey senses). Warns others with a burst of star glitter

Tallstar - Can grow taller than the highest trees & stronger than most men. Her special abilities let her locate danger or help others across obstacles.

Jewelstar - Youngest sister - Can fold into a sparkling crystal & distract/hypnotize or bowl over enemies.

Glory Bird - Star Sisters protector - rides on Starla's shoulder.

So there you go, The Star Sisters.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Sisters 3-pack

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 pm

Cool and groovy.

One of the recent Q&As indicated that they're looking to make Jewelstar in translucent plastic. After all the issues with The Green Goddess, I'm very surprised they would consider doing this since they would need to replace the entire three-pack in the event of any breakages.

That typed, if they can do it without the figure crumbling to pieces, I think it would look cool (particularly if she was more "red" than "pink" like the original toy proto-type).

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:03 am

The red rock version does sound interesting, though I really like her as she is. I would hate to lose the pink.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oz-Scott on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 am

Xenaphobia wrote:Cool and groovy.

One of the recent Q&As indicated that they're looking to make Jewelstar in translucent plastic. After all the issues with The Green Goddess, I'm very surprised they would consider doing this since they would need to replace the entire three-pack in the event of any breakages.

That typed, if they can do it without the figure crumbling to pieces, I think it would look cool (particularly if she was more "red" than "pink" like the original toy proto-type).

I'm sure TG has said the faulty GG figure was due to the joint, not actually the plastic?

Oz-Scott

Number of posts : 189
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Oz-Scott wrote:
I'm sure TG has said the faulty GG figure was due to the joint, not actually the plastic?

Originally Posted by ToyGuru
Goddess breakage:

Yes it is 100% true that some Goddess figures have breakage issues with the leg. If your Goddess does break please do return it for another with Mattycollector.com customer service. As for why the leg was breaking, it was due to the sonic wielding when the joints are joined. This same issue happened in DCUC wave 4 and 5 which was produced at the same time. We have (I hope clearly) fixed this issue which is why it does not happen anymore. The issue had nothing do due with the “translucent plastic” as evident by the same issue on DCUC which did not have translucent plastic. I hope this puts this one to rest. ;-)

Looking at some pics of the vintage figures over at the Org. It is interesting how Mattel seemed to want to stick very closely to the vintage toy design on most figures, but they went more with artwork/cartoon representations with these three.

It may have been to show more FILMation looking characters. Though they aren't entirely FILMation.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:41 pm

I think the Star Sisters would have far more appeal if they looked more like how they do in the second pic there Artistix (femanine) as opposed to the very 'butch/square jaw' look that Mattel has decided to go with. Make them 'pretty'.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:44 pm

I assume it is just one of the Horsemen who sculpts the females heads, which would explain why they, along with many DCUC ladies, look extremely similar. Generally angular in apppearance.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 pm

Almost all Four Horsemen female head-sculpts look the same (or very similar) to me with the exception of Mary Marvel, Stargirl, Donna Troy (Wonder Girl) and Catra.

As for the Star Sisters "design", I also find it odd that when it comes to POP females, then Filmation or the Style Guide seem to "rule" whereas most of the other figures are a great mix of the classic toys and other media. I thought Bow was a great example of mixing POP into the MOTUC line.

As for the Star Sisters, I would have preferred them to look more like their toy prototypes. Jewelstar looks kind of intimidating in "red" and the silver on Tallstar really helps to give the figure a "robotic" look. The mega-yellow on Starla is perhaps a bit too much, but it gives the figure some "brightness" which seems to suit the character description about "bursts of star glitter".

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Looking at the vintage toy of Jewelstar, I agree the dark pink rock look would have been visually stunning in MOTUC style.

Perhaps the toy designs were not as easy to work in with as the artwork they chose. Jewelstar in particular I would say would have been too expensive...I mean she never would have turned into a rock no matter what, but she still seems to have jewels all over her body.

She was a bit of a wierd looking rock...no wonder it hypnotized people! Laughing

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 am

Eric Treadway discusses the lack of a torso extension for Tallstar:

"Since the upper half of King Hssss was PVC, they needed harder ABS plastic at the waist to attach and hold the snake and human torsos correctly. PVC can't attach to PVC for this purpose. His pelvis became ABS plastic for the action feature. The unforseen consequence was that he got limited hip movement. Knowing this would happen with Tallstar, too, this is why she has no waist-lengthening piece: it was give her that and an ABS pelvis to attach it to (limiting her leg articulation a la King Hssss) or give her no waist piece and let her be as posable as the other figures."

Doesn't bother me personally. The neck & knee extensions will do fine....thoguh it would have been nice if they had a bit more height to them. Maybe they will by release.

Last edited by Artistix on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:51 am

^^^^

Too complicated for me. The (comparably)cheap Mr Fantastic movie figures came with a bunch of "extensions" that worked great. I still don't understand why a similar approach could have been taken with Tallstar.

Although, my concern isn't so much about Tallstar who I don't really care for, but the potential impact of PVC and ABS logistics on Extendar who was one of my favourite figures as a child.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 am

People mentioned that Mr. Fantastic figure as well as Plastic Man from DCUC. This was Emiliano's response:

"On those 2 figures it's possible becasue of the hip articulation that is very different from MOTU. Just look at them: on Reed the joints are basically outside the pelvis, not being covered by the crotch piece at all, free to move, so the pelvis can be ABS (harder plastic).
On Plastic Man, well, hip articulation are completely different from MOTUC, completely and fully exposed, even if cut into the figure sculpt.

So ABS plastic or not in the pelvis, it doesn't hinder the movement on those two figures, while it's a different story on MOTUC figures, where the crotch piece is supposed to be a piece of soft PVC that covers the articulation."

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:53 am

i have movie reed, and its terrible. It doesn't hold together at all, everything just pops out, no fun at all.

I agree they should look more 'pretty' than the butchier look, seeing as they are meant to be real dolls ' see what I did there? ' bwahaha

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I just want Extendar to extend gosh darn it! And Mek-a-Nek as well.

Anyway, hopefully Tallstar's extensions will be more impressive once the "extension" pieces are finalised and we see some photographs in her "extended" form.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 am

Star Sisters and PoP's future in MOTUC:

Question - If for some reason the Star Sisters don't perform as well as you'd like, will you view this as a declining interest in PoP, or will you see it more as "Well, maybe three-packs aren't the best way to go"?

Despite a vocal following, even us PoP fans have to admit that the sisters are obscure and unlikely to have the following of, say, Frosta or Glimmer.

ToyGuru - Their seems to be a lot of speculation that the Star Sistets are somehow responsible for the subs selling lower to 2011. Let me use this post to clear all of this up. ;-)

First off, since we already hit above and beyond the min we needed to move forward with the MOTUC sub (as we have every year with Club Eternia) we already have the number we need. The set has already sold enough units. Anything day of is just gravy!

While not every figure is going to be for everyone, Star Sisters represents a lot of what MOTUC is all about. Here you are getting not only 3 (three) POP girls with a ton of new parts, but they were never before produced before and shown only in the 1987 catalogue!

When the line was thought out long term (around the time of Stratos) we did not have a "subscription" so the idea that the Jan-March releases would need to be special and "sell the sub" was not a part of it. We've held to this release schedule pretty well (really only making minor swaps like Bow for She-Ra and Whiplash for Buzz-off). The Star Sisters were always intended as the first 2012 large size item/multipack and had nothing to do with enticing fans for a sub since one did not exist when they were slotted in. The figures that are Jan-March are just the first three month's figures. Only the "sub only figure" (i.e. Shadow Weaver, Wun-Dar) was thought out as an enticement for subscribers. Otherwise you are just seeing Jan-March as thought out before we even had a sub program.

The whole point of sub holders are they are "all in" no matter what. Prototypes, 200X, Filmation, vintage line, NA. For this segment of our customers it doesn't matter, they just want new MOTUC figures. Period.

Obviously their will be cherry pickers and we do plan for that, but in the end, the line would do just fine if we limited it to a sub only and didn't even bother with day of sales.

Personally I'm really excited to get to more POP, but just as much as I want to get to more Evil Warriors, more Master, more Galactic Protectors, more Snake Men, more 200X, more Powers of Grayskull, more Filmation, Fighting Foe Men, more Vintage figures, the 3 1987 movie figures, more Horde, more Space Mutants, Rock people, more mini comic figures, magazine figures, box art figures, Golden Book characters and every other category we have access to.

As long as you keep buying them, we'll keep making them. Hopefully in time people will look back and really see Classics as hitting every major faction and era. We just can't do it all at once. It takes time. Hang in their, the line is planned out well in advance. It is going to be a wild ride but if can crank this out year after year everyone will hopefully wind up with their favorite (you have noticed we are doing Fearless Photog right? Who ever thought that would happen? But it did! This is MOTUC, we'll try almost anything MOTU if their is enough of a customer base to buy it!)

We have a road map. We'll alter it as needed, adding in figures when we rights change (i.e. Filmation, etc...), and it should get us a heap of toys before we're done!

TG
http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2100

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oz-Scott on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 am

Are we all ready for The Star Sisters this month?

I was going to buy a set of someone here who didn't want theirs... Was it you Sam?

Oz-Scott

Number of posts : 189
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am

The Dr of Style didn't want his. :p

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:27 am

I kind of like them, I didn't when they were first announced but they are definitely growing on me.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 am

So relieved I totally forgot about the sale date and thought I had missed out on the star sisters.
Good chance for people to get into the line with all the nice re-releases.
Was pretty tempted to buy one of everything just for the sake of it.

UncleCletusKasady
Throbbin for a big Fat, Man

Number of posts : 960
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:30 am

UncleCletusKasady wrote:So relieved I totally forgot about the sale date and thought I had missed out on the star sisters.
Good chance for people to get into the line with all the nice re-releases.
Was pretty tempted to buy one of everything just for the sake of it.

Lol

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:34 am

Ah well if they sell out I will just wait and buy them on eBay for $10 at some point.

UncleCletusKasady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleCletusKasady on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 am

Oz-Scott wrote:Are we all ready for The Star Sisters this month?

I was going to buy a set of someone here who didn't want theirs... Was it you Sam?

Step 1: go through members list.
Step 2: find everybody who has the 2012 subby.
Step 3: pm them all offering $10 including shipping.
Step 4: await for the tear stained parcel to arrive.
Step 5: feel glad you have relieved everybody of their shame.
Laughing

UncleCletusKasady

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:46 am

Haha, classic thread title on the Org:

Did Anyone Order The Star Sisters Day-of-Sale and NOT through the Subscription?

Spoiler:
One person did. :p

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:06 pm

ToyGuru says they are selling better than the Wind Raider.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Lol

Jor-El