New, looking for advice on materials.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New, looking for advice on materials.

Post by Spastico on Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:50 am

Hi
I've never really done much 'customizing'. I've built, cleaned up and painted my share of model kits, but I've always wanted to try scratchbuilding a figure and at the moment my biggest hurdle is getting materials on a budget. I can source joints and all that from hobby supplier cheaply enough, but as for clays/putties and all that I'm at a bit of a loss.
I've use Milliput before and used what little I had leftover to make some alterations to a model kit, and I didn't mind working with that however it was $8 for a small pack of it and I can see that getting expensive fast.
I'm also on the lookout for a cheap dremel tool since I've heard this are pretty indispensable.

If someone could direct my to buying/sculpting guides, or just general hints-and-tricks I'd really appreciate

Spastico

Number of posts : 30
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-08-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New, looking for advice on materials.

Post by Sam on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:34 am

Not sure that materials will be cheap for the good stuff.

Clays / sculpting wise, I live Aves apoxy sculpt personally, but its not cheap. I used to get it from Barnes noble online but not sure if thats still around.

Dremel's from bunnings and homehardware are getting pretty cheap, I think i saw some going for around 60 on a no name brand.

Hope this helps, customising can be addictive, time permitting =-)

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spastico on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:48 am

Sam wrote:Not sure that materials will be cheap for the good stuff.

Clays / sculpting wise, I live Aves apoxy sculpt personally, but its not cheap. I used to get it from Barnes noble online but not sure if thats still around.

Dremel's from bunnings and homehardware are getting pretty cheap, I think i saw some going for around 60 on a no name brand.

Hope this helps, customising can be addictive, time permitting =-)

Time I can afford, but I'm on a uni student's budget. Plus I've got this horrible habit of stumbling upon long sold out figures at bargain prices and blowing all my available cash on it.
Do I need to be picky on brands for Dremels? If you'll excuse the pun I can understand how you'll need something, er, cutting edge if I don't want to end up with horribly mushy sculpts. I'm looking around for Aves Apoxie; 1lb tubs are going for $15 on Amazon which seemed good until I noticed that is was Amazon and everything on eBay seems to come from the UK and costs twice as much before shipping.
Guess I better start saving.

Spastico

Number of posts : 30
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-08-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Really cant say if the cheaper dremels are any good or not. THe one I bought ages ago was just over 100 bucks and is brand Dremel, and it has been going for several years, lots of shaved, cut and hacked plastics later.

aves apoxy from dalchem[url][/url][url][/url]

I've bought from here before, the 1lb tubs, and they do last ages, but i guess it comes down to how much you use, right? lol

Good luck

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top