Matty Subscription 2012....do or do not?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matty Subscription 2012....do or do not?

Post by HotToyKid on Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Last year I started to purchase selected characters from MOTUC range off Matty Collector.

So far i've had no real issue's buying the figures I want from Matty.

2012 is going to be a big year for MOTU and from what i've been reading Mattel is going to reduce it's output with some of the cooler figures as part of the sub.

I'd like to hear from anyone thats been into this line longer than myself if they feel that the subscrition is worth getting even, taking into account my interest in selected characters, not one of everthing.

Cheers!

HotToyKid

Number of posts : 31
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matty Subscription 2012....do or do not?

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Last year and this year Matty was re-releasing figures at an alarming rate, that aswell as high production numbers meant figures have been easy to get. Year 1 (although there were no subs) saw lower production numbers and no re-releases, figures were only lasting a matter of 30 odd minutes on Matty, and were fetching a high price on eBay. Next year they are lowering production numbers over and above the subs, and no more re-issues, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what the result will be.... If you want a bulk of next years figs(remembering it's the 30th ann) I'd sub it for sure.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:20 am

So far I've been able to sell all of the figures I don't want reasonably easily on ebay or here, I guess the test might be the large scale figures or some of the POP releases. Speaking of which I still have a re-issue He-Man and Battleground Teela if anyone's interested. The good thing for us in the west is it's usually only a 12am order time rather than 2 am

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 am

I've experience both the sub (in late 2009 and in 2010) and ordering monthly (early 2009 and this year).

I can tell you that if you're on the ball, ordering each month is a piece of piss. I've only ever missed Mer-Man (this was due to the split batch, so got him the second time around) and Battle Cat (due to Trapjaw selling out in my cart and having to start the order again).

And this year I've found that whilst the website can get delays, there are ways to circumvent this and it is nowhere near as bad as the "old days".

So you have to ask yourself if locking yourself in for everything is worth it. If you get close to everything then you may as well sub it, especially if you want Shadow Weaver. If you're very selective, you're probably better off going monthly and worst case scenario eBay when the prices die down a bit.

To be honest, I would order monthly but I want Shadow Weaver. I'll want most of the stuff released but can see that I'll get stuck with at least 3 or 4 figures I won't want. I wouldn't be too put off by Mattel cutting back on reissues or stock.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I've never held a subscription and I've only missed out on two figures:

- Trap-Jaw - sold out, even though I was logged in well before the sale started; and

- Catra - because I was away for work.

Thanks to the re-release of Trap-Jaw and a kind ozfigurama members, I was able to grab both of these figures.

That typed, Mattel are obviously increasing the pressure for fans to subscribe since re-releases will apparently be limited, if not ceased completely, and they have also lowered the production numbers. It will be difficult to determine what impact those measures have on the sell-out times until next year, but it's reasonable to suggest that for some figures, the sell-out times will be very short.

At the end of the day, I guess it depends upon how many figures from the subscription you think you will keep and how badly you want certain figures and whether you're willing to pay an inflated price for those figures on the secondary market if they sell-out. It's not an easy decision, particularly given the subscription exclusive for 2012.

Cheers,

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:06 pm

I can't imagine myself not liking any of the figures so the sub is the best option for me.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm in Artistix's camp. Anything that I may decide not to keep, can be flogged off on eBay....or given to my daughter as I suspect the stuff I won't like will be the POP figures Wink

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 am

I just can't do it when I only want 40% of the figures released, if that.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

Matty is back with more threats:

"First off, as expected we have well passed our min sub order to keep the line going. (MOTU fans are committed!) BUT, I do want to let you know that we are actually at our lowest sub sale yet. Which unless we get a huge bump in sales this week, this means Shadow Weaver will likely be the lowest produced figure in the whole line! Wow.

Also, as stated a few times, we will no longer be doing second runs of figures starting with Man-E-Faces. We still have quite a few older figures already slotted for re-release each month in 2012, but they are all figure originally offered before Man-E-Faces. This also means NONE of the 2012 figures will go into a second run.

Finally, our overall production is going to be a bit lower in 2012. We still intend for product to be available for "Cherry Pickers" the day-of the sale, but 1: we will have overall a bit less, how long this will last is anyone's guess, and 2: Because production is based on part on the sub sales, with lower overall sub sales then expected, this means the day-of product will be even slightly less then we orignally intended with the original planned"slight reduction" (to control inventory).

Part of the reason for the initial reducution in "day of" quota is to maintain the secondary market so that those who buy the sub but don't want all of the monthly figures will have an avenue to sell them off at a reasonable secondary market price. We're not trying to create "Scal-por" but we do want to help out fans who may be turned off by the high price of say, the Star Sisters, and want to know we won't flood the market with this pack giving them the option of selling it off one day if it is not their cup of tea.

SO....What does all this mean?

While in NO WAY is this message intended to be a "you must buy the sub!" post, in all fairness, consider this fair warning that the sub is your best way of guaranteeing all figures without a sell out and the ONLY way to ever get Shadow Weaver. (and hey don't forget about the awesome Preternia map!)

Whether the sub is for you is a personal choice, I just want to make sure fair warning and all the info is out there for you to make an eductated choice for your own collection!"

The idea that Mattel are "maintaining the secondary market" by deliberately reducing the number of figures available for purchase by "cherry pickers" is ridiculous. What is so wrong with being a cherry picker? We still support the line. We still hand over our money to Mattel.

All in all, it looks like 2012 will be an interesting year for us cherry pickers!

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 am

I guess we really have most of the big names now. A lot of buyers may not be that interested in subscribing anymore. That could be one of the issues with the DC sub.

Lowering production numbers may be wise, may not. It would be difficult because we are entering a time when the number of figures is either fixed, or they would have to take it on a figure by figure basis which would be a bit of a nightmare.

Everyone wants Ram-Man, but it's anyones guess how many people want Miro, Oo-la, Shokoti, NA/PoP figures or even 2002 variants.

Obviously the line will continue, we are passed minimun orders. That's all I need to know!

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:43 am

Yep. Mattel has no interest in anything other than profit (as they should, they are a business).

They know there's stuff all heavy hitters left. They need people to commit to the sub. They can dress it up all they like as "protecting people who sell off unwanted figures" but it is smart to get people committed. Can't say I blame them.

I personally would cherry pick if Shadow Weaver wasn't the sub exclusive. I have the main characters I want. Sure, there are still quite a number of B listers that I would like, but if I missed out on them, so be it.

My fear is the sub becoming too much a "get everything proposition". If I want 10 out of the 12 monthlies, 2 of the 4 overscaled figures, 1 vehicle and none of the kibble but they tie us into 12 monthlies, 4 overscaled, 2 vehicles, 4 variants, weapons packs, stands, bonus concept figures... then it will be too crazy to commit for that much. Sadly, I think 2013 or 2014 could very well see that, and will probably need to see it to justify continuation.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HotToyKid on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Well after much deliberation I went and purchased the subby for 2012.

The main reasons for me were the possibility that any 30th anniversary figures only being made available to existing sub holders and maybe, just maybe some more Filmation characters showing up late next year.

Don't let me down Matty!

HotToyKid

Number of posts : 31
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-07-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:06 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top