Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by awe on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:23 am

Darkhawk? Man... Darkhawk! Holy hell!



via

Big Bad Toy Store

Look. I'm a guy that adored the golden days of Toybiz Marvel Legends and was deadset against anything Hasbro was doing from day one.

But, geez. They are making it hard to hate them.

Even with the hefty RRP and crappy distribution (which ML suffered from too). And I wouldn't be surprised to find that's all down to Funtastic. (I got to hate on someone don't i? Smile )

awe

Number of posts : 488
Age : 37
Location : Sydney
Trading Status : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:25 am

I disagree, I think ML had a VERY respectful rrp, and finding them was a breeze, I mean I found series 1 in a woollies, while grocery shopping, what more could you want?? The rrp on these is just a monsterous joke.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Age : 39
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Artistix on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:56 am

They pulled me into MU with Jean Grey. Sure, the final figure was pretty bad...but it is still a Jim Lee Jean!

If you take off her shoulder pads she actually looks rather good IMO.

But in general I am a sucker for 3.75".

Oh wait...I am a sucker for every scale! Laughing No

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Age : 34
Location : N.S.W
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:40 am

I agree with you DBF, MLegends were very easy to find at retail......AND we got pretty much every asst (if my memory serves me corrcetly). My very first MLegend was the gold Iron Man variant from a local Target. Finding that one figure got hooked on the line.

And I agree with awe in that the characters being released in the Universe are just too sweet! I love the fact that they're doing the Cosmic stuff.....but alas, this isn't a line that I collect, no matter how cool the figures are.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:39 am

I love the character selection but hate the scale ..... well I hate the scale at the RRP.

ML 'Classic' Iron Man and Captain America are still my favs. I was really disappointed when the series died out. I basically lost interest once the licence went over to Hasbro - figures started to cost too much, the final items looked terrible and they were difficult to get.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Age : 38
Location : Perth, WA
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by awe on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:42 am

Dabigfella wrote:I disagree, I think ML had a VERY respectful rrp, and finding them was a breeze, I mean I found series 1 in a woollies, while grocery shopping, what more could you want?? The rrp on these is just a monsterous joke.....

Yeah. I didn't mean in reference to the RRP. Just the second bit. And after Series 4 (geez I saw that Beast everwhere!) they just weren't consistent. I remember snagging the whole of Series 6 (Deadpool) at Bondi Junction Target but after that, to safely get a set, I was resorting to Casefresh. I had to be in Hamley's London before I saw ANY of Series 14 on the pegs.

awe

Number of posts : 488
Age : 37
Location : Sydney
Trading Status : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Artistix on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:25 pm

BoloMusashi wrote: I basically lost interest once the licence went over to Hasbro - figures started to cost too much, the final items looked terrible and they were difficult to get.

ToyBiz had their ups & downs, but I did like their figures a lot more than Hasbro's.

Saying that, I did see a review of the 6" Winter Soldier/Black Widow 2-pack & it actually looks very nice. Certainly shows the difference painted skin can make. Actually the 3.75" Winter Soldier was very nice. It will be interesting to see if further Hasbro 6" figures can live up to Soldier/Widow pack.

I find the different articulation to GI Joe a bit annoying. Compare the MU Black Widow to movie Baroness & the leg & arm movememnt is not anywhere near as good. You'd think if you were going to make 1 body for a crap load of people, you would make it a great body.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Age : 34
Location : N.S.W
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Mahzian on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:54 pm

I really wish DC Infinite Heroes were of this quality, the sculpt, articulation and paint apps are amazing for this scale, I would have gone nuts on them if they were DC, kinda past my Marvel days now, although I'd probably still be buying Marvel Legends if they made them.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Age : 36
Location : Brisbane
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by The Iceman on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm

SDDC 2011 is only 10 days away and Hasbro may well be showing their Marvel Legends relaunch series 1. As a mad collector of Marvel figures and I have had every figure that Toybiz and Hasbro done in the series in my opinion the last few figures that Hasbro produced were on par with some of the best that Toybiz turned out. The Black Widow from last years two packs was an improvement on the Toybiz one. Warpath, Deadpool and Hulk were also great sculpts and far exceeded their earlier efforts like the White Queen (OMG). Unlike some I am not over Legends, as an avid reader of Marvel comics most of my life there are still many many heroes and villians I want to see in 6" plastic. I know I am collecting MU and yes for large scale dioramas it is a better scale to work with (only because of space) but I am counting down the days to Comicon. The fact that the build-a-figure is going to be Terrax the Tamer has me more than excited about the ongoing potential the line can reach again. Without Marvel to collect I don't think I would be collecting. Nuff said. Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Age : 53
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:45 pm

I think sculpt wise Hasbro are there, I agree with you Ice on the Deadpoll, Hulk etc wave, those sculpts were awesome, I just wish we got them here, and at a decent price.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Age : 39
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by The Iceman on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Spot on with the price problem, they cost me $50.00/pair + postage to get them here which was way too much. The only way a relaunch here is going to work is that they are priced well and our retailers get behind them. Retail here continually kill lines by over buying the first series, clogging the shelves and not getting the next two waves because of it. I would probably be comfortable paying $20 to $22.50 per single decent figure with a build-a-figure piece. The DC Classics are cool figures but $30 is too much. The retailers here seem to be oblivious to the fact the Aussie dollar is flying high and has been for some time now but there has been no downward shift in prices. I am all for supporting our own but why would you for example buy a set of DC Green Lantern figures at Toys-R-Us when you could have bought and flown them in from the US at only $20 per figure. Smile

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Age : 53
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:04 pm

It's not retailers who order the first assts it's the Distributors (Hasbro, Mattel) that do this. Retailers can only order stock that is available and if Wave 1 is the only asst, that's all that they can get.
As for pricing, what Joe Consumer doesn't realise is that the ordering and paying of goods from OS is done MONTHS in advance. So any drop in the dollar doesn't flow on because the goods were paid for at a time the $$$ was sitting at a different price. Electrical goods don't suffer in this regard because these items are imported a lot more frequently into the country than toy assortments.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by The Iceman on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:45 pm

Understand what you're saying. Do you personally think then that a series that is only in the planning stages like the Legends relaunch have any chance of coming here at a more respectable price then?

The Iceman
Wants to ride your tail

Number of posts : 304
Age : 53
Location : Adelaide, South Australia
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by simmo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:09 pm

I reckon it's a bit of both though GoodDr.

I remember when the GST came in and the dollar sank to about 50 cents US. Mainly because the price of comics skyrocketed. (Incidentally, a lower Aussie $ means more GST on imports, which left the government absolutely flush with cash at the time, but that's a different story).

A couple of years later, and the dollar had crept back up to between 65-70 cents. The cover price of comics hadn't shifted either back then. But the store's price of comics didn't move an inch, at least where I was buying them.

Say a comic was $2 US. With the low aussie, that was around $4, and let's add $1 for shipping down here. So a comic was $5. When the dollar rose to just 65c, the comic price should have been $3.10 (rounding up). Shipping, theoretically, should have come down too, but even if it didn't, the comic should have been $4.10 to the customer. But it was still $5.

I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine they were selling 500 comics a week. That's pretty close to the new profit they would be making every week from a better exchange rate.

That's kind of neither here nor there with what you've said Good Dr, but it does make a difference to some extent.

I am surprised though with this:
the ordering and paying of goods from OS is done MONTHS in advance
Mainly on the paying side...

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Age : 37
Location : Sydney
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:26 pm

You can't compare buying comics with toys that are imported on the scale that Hasbro and Mattel bring in. Comics (by in large) are brought in independently by the Comic Shop itself. It makes no sense that a comic shop would need to reduce it's pricing of comics based on the rise of the Aussie Dollar if their customers come in week in, week out to buy their comics. If Joe Consumer stopped buying comics because they could get them cheaper elsewhere, then you'd see a change in the price. I find it amusing that consumers 'expect' prices to drop because our dollar goes up. If I could sell 500 comics for $5.00 why would I drop the price to $4.10 and still sell only the 500?

With regards to paying and ordering toys months in advance, both Hasbro and Mattel are US companies operating here in Australia on budgets. Why would Hasbro US reduce the wholesale price of a Star Wars figure being sent to Australia when retailers can only buy Star Wars figures from Hasbro Australia?

A lot of toy companies (producing collector orientated toys) are so small that payment on advance orders is a necessity simply from a cashflow point of view AND it also guarantees the production run of a toy line. We're not talking about consumers paying in advance for toys they order, we're talking about Distributors who if they didn't pay up front and decided to simply cancel an order post production, would see many a toy producer go to the wall.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:41 pm

In answer to your Q Iceman, at this year's Toyfare, Hasbro AU had no idea that MLegends were being re-launched next year. This IMO doesn't bode well for the line to succeed here if it isn't even on Hasbro AU's radar.
Given the failure of MUniverse here (and failure wasn't because of the price point IMO, the line failed because boys, in general, don't give a hoot for comic characters) I can't see next year's MLegends being priced at retail for less than $25.00ea.
Hasbro AU's list price is going to be expensive because the numbers that would be released here would be so small (again MLegends is a COLLECTOR's line) that in order to make selling them worth while, they would have to be priced accordingly. The basic premise of having a price based on demand won't apply because no matter how low they price MLegends, you're not going to get little Joey from down the road buying them because as a ten year old boy, he ain't interested in action figures, he's playing games on his PS3, or XBox, or what-ever gaming system he has.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Personally, I think the biggest problem here in Australia regarding the pricing of goods is the Australian Consumer. We all like to whinge and complain about the prices we pay, but at the end of the day, most of us tend to continue shopping none-the-less.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by awe on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you for that perspective GoodDr. I'm not really someone with any knowledge of running a business or what the chain between a manufacturer and retail store looks like, so it was informative for me.

Now that you mention it (about getting kids, more then collectors, to buy figures) I do recall Toybiz being very carefull about their character selection. Always making sure there was a Wolverine/Spider-Man/Iron Man (or at least some guy that _looked_ cool) in the series that would appeal to "Joey" and collectors on the boards responding with ("Not another Wolverine!") every single time.

It probably also comes into the equation that Australia really isn't as big of a market as America. 20M vs 300M? They aren't going to sell nearly as many AND they have to ship them a fair way. So why would they even do it if the demand for a line is still there in the US?

awe

Number of posts : 488
Age : 37
Location : Sydney
Trading Status : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by diabolikprime on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:39 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Personally, I think the biggest problem here in Australia regarding the pricing of goods is the Australian Consumer. We all like to whinge and complain about the prices we pay, but at the end of the day, most of us tend to continue shopping none-the-less.

Amen to that! Could not agree more.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Age : 36
Location : Scone
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by simmo on Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:41 pm

TheGoodDr wrote:Personally, I think the biggest problem here in Australia regarding the pricing of goods is the Australian Consumer. We all like to whinge and complain about the prices we pay, but at the end of the day, most of us tend to continue shopping none-the-less.

GoodDr, I wasn't having a go, just trying to point something out. I didn't add that if there is a finite pot of money out there (on the comic shop issue) then I'd prefer to selling through more stock at a lower price than less at a higher price, because you're diversifying your product risk.

On the Consumer thing, I don't think it's that so much that we earn a lot more relatively than those overseas. having just come back from the US here I paid half the price for a pair of Cons than I would over here, I know that their minimum wage is less than half of ours. It's all relative I guess. Smile

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Age : 37
Location : Sydney
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Hey Simmo.....nah, didn't think you were having a go. I guess my writing style sometimes comes across the wrong way. I was trying to illustrate that here in Australia, I think culturally we're a lot more accepting of the fact that we pay too much for our goods and services.....and both retailers and wholesalers know this......and exploit us accordingly Sad

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Age : 105
Location : WA
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Artistix on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:05 pm

TheGoodDr wrote: and both retailers and wholesalers know this......and exploit us accordingly Sad

Curse those evil bastards! Shake Fist

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Age : 34
Location : N.S.W
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marvel Universe 3.75" 2011 Series 04

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:18 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum