Playmates TMNT Classics

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Playmates TMNT Classics

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:55 pm

I've been trawling various TMNT forums and apparently there is a 10-11" "Classics" line that will be exclusive to TRU and also a regular 6" "Classics" line that will be available everywhere.

It still doesn't correlate with what is show in the video ("storage shell" figures from the 2012 series), but having watched the three videos and simply judging from the size of the guys hand, there is no way the "Classics" shown are 10-11" (unless that guy is a giant).

I'm going to guess - 6" Classics figures and 10-11" 2012 Series figures with "storage shells" (in addition to the 4.75" 2012 Series figures) and the editing on the video was very poorly done.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:52 am

Videos here: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=20&itemid=18240

- The Classics are 6"

- The new Turtles are maybe a bit smaller? No real chain for Mike's nunchuks. Sad

- There is a 10" Battle Shell line (the ones that store stuff in their shell) that is a TRU exclusive.

- The playset is 42" (over 1 metre) tall!!!!!

My only concern is what will actually be available over here? Probably the basic line for the new Turtles. Sad I want those classics, Battle Shells and the sewer playset dammit!!!!

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:49 am

Playmates stuff usually comes down here no problem, so I think we'll get em.

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:12 am

The Scream Man wrote:Playmates stuff usually comes down here no problem, so I think we'll get em.

Then colour me excited. That sewer playset is mindblowing! Smile

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 am

I really like the design of the new turtles, I think I'll grab those for my desk at work!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Yeah, we always had the Star Trek figures in the 90's & the newer 2011 movie. Plus the recent Terminator figures.

The Sewer is a thing of beauty. Love all the levels.

Glad to hear the Classics line is 6". Much easier with limited space.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:23 pm

...until you put the new sewer lair in...

=-)

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:18 pm

^^^^

I'm seriously considering tracking down the old "classic" Sewer Playset for the new "Classics" figures. It was a thing of beauty. And I much prefer the "multi-sided/box" style of playsets as opposed to just a (detailed) back-drop and a few different levels.

I can still remember flying home after spending Christmas with my dad and my mum opened the boot for me to put my bag in and there was the Sewer Playset for my Christmas present. The two hours or so it took to drive home were pure torture!

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Suh-weet on the 6" Classics confirmation! Very Happy

(MTV douche-bags... Rolling Eyes )

I'm hoping we can get those modern comic Turtles in the 6" line too. Smile

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:38 am

According to this article, the expected release date (in the US) is Ausgust 2012:

http://streetdate.radio.com/2012/02/06/ninja-turtles-return-in-2012/

The US prices for the figures are expected to be $9 for the 4-5" scale "new series" figures and $15 to $20 for the 6" scale "classic series". The new sewer lair will be $100!

As Playmates had packaged samples of pretty much everything on show, I was hoping that these would be released sooner rather than later.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 am

For what little it's probably worth, I sent an email to Playmates enquiring about the availability of the TMNT "Classics" figures in Australia and this is the response I received:

"The figures should be available internationally by Spring of 2013, the figures your asking about will be called Retro and not Classic. They will be like the 80's cartoon show."

There's no way I'll be waiting 6+ months for figures that I've been dreaming about since I was a kid. It's a shame that their release schedule isn't a little more consistent between the US and "international markets", but I'm guessing it has more to do with when the new cartoon will screen overseas since most retailers won't be interested in TMNT action figures unless there is current "media" supporting the line.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 am

Agreed. Who wants to wait. Globalization allows us to see what is happening almost as soon as it happens, and when you have the collecting bug, no ones wants to wait for local release.

Considering that its probably going to cost the same to import, than to get locally. Mind you all my locals I dont bother visiting anymore for toys as they never have anything I want, current or old, and if I do find a rarity its massively marked up.

But looking forward to the retro/classic/cartoon version for sure! Theme song now running through head! TeenAGE mutANt NINja turTLES, TeenAGE mutANt NINja turTLES, TeenAGE mutANt NINja turTLES, ... Heroes in a half shell, TURTLE POWER! hehehehe

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 am

Official release from Playmates:

"Retro-Collector Action Figures by Playmates Toys

The Retro Collector Action Figures reflect the look of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from the 80's TV show. Each Turtle stands 6 inches tall, features more than 30 points of articulation and is authentically detailed to appeal to the true action figure collector. Each Turtle will come with its core Ninja weapons and a personalized sewer lid cover name base. The Retro-Collector Action Figures collection includes Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello and Michelangelo.

(suggested retail price:$14.99)(recommended age:4 & Up)(available:August 2012)"

I'm glad we're getting the personalised sewer lid stands - it's a cool little added accessory.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Pixel Dans review of new toon Mikey:

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=311&itemid=18335

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:01 pm

See, I wasn't sold on teh 4 inch versions straight away, I thought they might have lackluster articulation, but after seeing that, apart from the not as good paint apps, I am now looking forward to those and the classic/retro versions.

I'm disappointed in the enemies figures only because they look like they have no articulation in elbows or knees, but the boys themselves look pretty fun! April, sorry, has to be at least in her 20's! *and hrrm yellow jumpsuit isn't a must but preferred... LOL*

actually I wonder if they make a retro april for the classics set? that would DEFINATLY be awesome, considering how nicely they have done the turtles themselves. Shred head would be damn cool too!

In the words of Big Kev," Im excited!"

=-)

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:00 am

Hopefully, if wave 1 Retro sells well enough, wave 2 would be Shredder, April, Foot soldiers & maybe Casey if they can squeeze in another mold. Though I'd personally prefer Splinter to Casey.

I would also prefer they sculpt April directly from the cartoon source, or atleast from one of her figures with the prettier headsculpt. Not the original one with straighter hair.

Playmates are generally up for vehicles too....so hopefully the line does well enough they can consider making the van.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:33 am

Well if they do end up doing jumpsuit april for the classics /retro it cant really be any other variation can it? REALLY want one like that though, as its the one with the most nostalgic value for me, and better rack.. ...

Still wishing that neca released those fantastic foot and shredders they prototyped ! those were amazing !

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:45 am

For the longest time I only had Neca April, but ScreamMan was kind enough to grab me an MOC tube packaging Raph from a shop down his way & that arrived the other day. I only held off on buying the Neca Turtles as I wanted the versions with street bases, which are harder to find. But now I will be content getting the tube versions. Such....amazing....figures!

And yes, curse them for dropping those awesome figures of Shredder & the Foot.

It wil be very interesting to see what Playmates come up with for Retro Shredder.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:23 am

it would be hilarious if they have a voice chip base with ' I hate turtles' and ' tonight i dine on turtle soup' and other great literary quotes Smile

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:24 am

still will be importing them as soon as they hit me thinks ! wonder how cool the packaging will be?? wonder if it can top the MOTUC cards which would be hard

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFallen on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:30 am

Mutagen Man and Muckman & Joe Eyeball are my most wanted in this new line. The way I see it, it is best to aim high to keep my interest Smile

I am looking forward to this line

TheFallen

Number of posts : 109
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2010-02-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheFallen on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:38 am

Sam wrote:still will be importing them as soon as they hit me thinks ! wonder how cool the packaging will be?? wonder if it can top the MOTUC cards which would be hard

Here you go;

TheFallen

Number of posts : 109
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2010-02-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:50 am

^^^^

There's pics of the back of the card floating around as well, but nothing interesting. They didn't replicate the original "bio" or the "pizza points". It's just a dull "blurb" about the original cartoon series and a picture of all four turtles with everyone except for Raphael smiling widely.

I was actually a little disappointed as I'd expected them to replicate the "bios" at the very least, together with the little mini cartoon strip that used to explain the origins of each of the characters (or at least their main motivation/purpose).

As for my most wanted, I don't know how they could "finish" the series without doing Splinter, April O'Neil, Casey Jones, Shredder, Bebop, Rocksteady, Krang (walker or Android Body, preferably the latter) and a Foot Soldier.

In terms of a likely second series, I think there could be a degree of parts sharing between Shredder, Casey Jones and the Foot Soldier, so I think they're all distinct possibilities. Both Splinter and April O'Neil would require unique sculpts, but I think they might go with April O'Neil and then short-pack April O'Neil to fit in more Foot Soldiers into each case.

At the moment, it looks like only "Toys R Us" has agreed to stock the line, so I'm not sure there will even be sufficient sales to warrant a second series. I certainly hope so, but given all the unique tooling involved, it seems unlikely that the series will be too expansive. Are there any 6", highly articulated lines that feature lots of unique sculpts? ML, DCUC, MOTUC, etc all share parts.

I guess Bandai's Thundercats has almost all unique sculpts. That's about the only one that I can think of.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:18 pm

ah, thanks for the info.

Hrm... I dont think its better than motuc cards, it does have a nice look about it, but unlike motuc who I want to keep MOC these can be opened with no regret I think

So only TRU's eh? If the walmarts and targets nabbed them you would think they would have a better shot.. oh well.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:09 am

^^^^

Not sure. That's my general understanding from what US fans say.

And I guess it makes sense - the more stores that stock them, the more potential sales of the figures. Not to mention the fact that not everywhere would have a TRU.

If they're truly not due in stores until August, then there's still time for Playmates to find other retailers to stock the Retro/Classics figures. Or TRU may do a deal to ensure the line is "exclusive" to TRU (like thw 10/11" "storage shell" versions of the 2012 turtles).

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top