Playmates TMNT Classics

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Playmates TMNT Classics

Post by Artistix on Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 am

Saw this posted over at Fwoosh, sounded interesting:

"Discogod wrote:
According to reports over at the Technodrome forums, Playmates are making a "TMNT Classics" type of line to tie in with the new series - highly articulated & detailed figures representing all incarnations of the TMNT. Those that have seen the prototypes are impressed.

Just sayin', those of you who want some great classic-style turtles might want to wait for pics..."

Some Turtle pics for fun:

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Playmates TMNT Classics

Post by Sam on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:24 am

Cool! Should be interesting ot see !
Wondre if there are any 'leaked ' photos of what to expect though?

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm

Really? That sounds almost too good to be true.

Playmates 2007 movie figures were okay, but definitely needed some major improvements in terms of sculpting, paint application and the general style.

IF this rumour is true, I hope they go beyond just the four turtles and also make AT LEAST Splinter, Shredder, April O'Neil, Casey Jones. I'd also really like to see Bebop, Rocksteady and (although I'm sure an unpopular choice) Venus.

Hopefully we hear more before SDCC.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:57 pm

Yeh hopefully if this does happen we at least see teh bad guys come out.

I loved the NECA figs and the prototypes we saw of foot soldier and shredder were unbelievable, but then they dont release them at all causing massive disappointment!

So 2nd the notion of 'going beyond the green' =-)

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Holy crap, I totally forgot Venus De Milo existed!! Laughing

Last edited by Artistix on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 pm

^^^^

I'm a sucker for kick-ass chicks, so I liked the lady teenage mutant ninja turtle!

I don't think many other people approval of a "girl" turtle though.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Sam wrote:I loved the NECA figs and the prototypes we saw of foot soldier and shredder were unbelievable, but then they dont release them at all causing massive disappointment!
Well, NECA wanted to release those figures, but Playmates pulled the rug out from under them legally, stopping NECA from releasing any more TMNT figures. Sad

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:11 am

was that confirmed was it? i was never sure the whole story...

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:05 am

The Scream Man wrote:was that confirmed was it? i was never sure the whole story...
Yep.

Playmates exercised a legal loophole to prevent NECA from selling TMNT merchandise in any retail outlet (eg. Wal*Mart, Toy R US) except comic stores, & online.

Meaning that NECA would have had to do reduced production numbers ala MotU Classics, and for a licenced property, that just wouldn't make enough money back to cover their costs.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:22 am

Damn, didn't know that.
SCREW YOU PLAYMATES!!! !

I finally had BBTS email saying it had been cancelled only a week ago. Until i saw that I had a meagre amount of hope...

oh well...

The annoying thing is, is that playmates to my knowledge, hadn't had anythign quite the calibre of what NECA had brought to the table.

Speaking of NECA, did the SF4 figures series come out with another coloured CHun Li and Akuma or that got canned?

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:40 am

Still searching for a single carded Donatello Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:32 am

From NECA you mean Nitey?

I haven't seen them in Target since forever either :-(

I think I bought the set at the time, and remember seeing those 'TCL' cannister packets for about 25 a piece in Target, kinda cool but from memory they left stuff out?

I'll keep an eye out though if you want =-/

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:34 am

I was saying on the Podcast last night that I never bought the Neca Turtles in tubes because I really wanted the street bases. Because of this I don't have any Neca Turtles. Only April, poor lonely April. Sad

Xenaphobia wrote:
I don't think many other people approval of a "girl" turtle though.

Peter Laird (TMNT co-creator) hated her with a passion. But I've been reading various comments about her over the web today & she does seem to have fans.

It seems she was not the only issue people had with the Next Mutation series. Being a live action series & made by the same people as Power Rangers, some things obviously couldn't be as cool as in the cartoon or in the movies which it followed.

DroothR wrote:
Sam wrote:I loved the NECA figs and the prototypes we saw of foot soldier and shredder were unbelievable, but then they dont release them at all causing massive disappointment!
Well, NECA wanted to release those figures, but Playmates pulled the rug out from under them legally, stopping NECA from releasing any more TMNT figures. Sad

I see...

Well, I'm off to Playmates....to burn them to the ground. Twisted Evil

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:40 am

Drop by NECA on the way past and pick up the protos of the Foot clan can ya?> cheers

=-)

One day I might get off my arse and custom one of my billion cannon fodders into a shredder in scale with the turtles..

and notch me down as one who isn't that keen on Venus... too much of an afterthought for my liking, but thats just me =-)

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:04 pm

DroothR wrote:
The Scream Man wrote:was that confirmed was it? i was never sure the whole story...
Yep.

Playmates exercised a legal loophole to prevent NECA from selling TMNT merchandise in any retail outlet (eg. Wal*Mart, Toy R US) except comic stores, & online.

Meaning that NECA would have had to do reduced production numbers ala MotU Classics, and for a licenced property, that just wouldn't make enough money back to cover their costs.

Stupid question, Why? Wouldn't playmates have sold some of the rights or made an agreement with neca in regards to them selling the turtle stuff in the first place? Unless neca did something outside the original contract i don't see why playmates would do that???

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Potential movie tie in cash cow opportunity that was squandered in the end?

I would be interested to know as well hrrrmmm....

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:24 pm

Dabigfella wrote:Stupid question, Why? Wouldn't playmates have sold some of the rights or made an agreement with neca in regards to them selling the turtle stuff in the first place? Unless neca did something outside the original contract i don't see why playmates would do that???
No-one's told me specifically why Playmates did what they did, when they did it when they did, but I gather that Playmates didn't care about comic Turtles, as they only pushed current looks onto the market. Then when NECA's comic Turtles sold out worldwide, Playmates decided to pull in a small print clause in their contract with the big retail chains which forbid all major retailers from stocking TMNT merchandise from non-Playmates companies (this last part I know for sure).

See, Playmates has the Master Licence, but NECA negotiated directly with Mirage for a limited licence for collector's figures (as opposed to mass retail) based on the early comics. When NECA's figures hit stores like Toys R Us in the States, and Target (locally) and were a smash hit, Playmates pulled the noose on mass retail distribution for NECA - as they saw it as NECA encroaching onto their turf - which effectively killed their line.

It's bullshit cock-blocking to stop another company from making money when they weren't.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Just sent Neca a message about the matter. Doubt they will respond but we'll see.

Also watched the first 3 episodes of Next Mutation today on Youtube. It was actually pretty cool IMO. Venus is likeable, more of a Splinter type character.

I am down with seeing her in a Classics line. Very Happy

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:50 pm

DroothR wrote:
Dabigfella wrote:Stupid question, Why? Wouldn't playmates have sold some of the rights or made an agreement with neca in regards to them selling the turtle stuff in the first place? Unless neca did something outside the original contract i don't see why playmates would do that???
No-one's told me specifically why Playmates did what they did, when they did it when they did, but I gather that Playmates didn't care about comic Turtles, as they only pushed current looks onto the market. Then when NECA's comic Turtles sold out worldwide, Playmates decided to pull in a small print clause in their contract with the big retail chains which forbid all major retailers from stocking TMNT merchandise from non-Playmates companies (this last part I know for sure).

See, Playmates has the Master Licence, but NECA negotiated directly with Mirage for a limited licence for collector's figures (as opposed to mass retail) based on the early comics. When NECA's figures hit stores like Toys R Us in the States, and Target (locally) and were a smash hit, Playmates pulled the noose on mass retail distribution for NECA - as they saw it as NECA encroaching onto their turf - which effectively killed their line.

It's bullshit cock-blocking to stop another company from making money when they weren't.

So this just shows how red tape and multiple companies owning the rights to one property, who are in competition with each other, end up screwing each other up, and the people who buy their product.......sheeesh.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Hmmmmm. What a shirty thing for Playmates to do.

Am I completely mis-remembering or have there been rumours about a "comic-based" line from Playmates before? I vaguely recall some discussion about whether they were simply going to re-release their "super-articulated" movie figures in different colours (all red bandanas, etc) based on the "comic book" look as part of their "comic based" line. Unless that rumour was just a precursor to this current rumour?

Add Slash to my "most wanted" list from a line of "classics". I ALWAYS wanted Slash when I was a kid and even when I went out and re-purchased all the classic figures (before they were re-released in stores), I wasn't able to locate a "complete" Slash. Perhaps now I can finally achieve my dream of owning the "evil" turtle with the classics line.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:23 pm

See, I said THAT on the podcast last night! I even have a dim memory of seeing some playmates comic turtle pics ages back. I couldn't find them when i looked earlier though, so I may be mis-remembering that.

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:21 pm

The Scream Man wrote:See, I said THAT on the podcast last night! I even have a dim memory of seeing some playmates comic turtle pics ages back. I couldn't find them when i looked earlier though, so I may be mis-remembering that.
No, they had them slated shortly after NECA's blew up huge.

Then nothing happened because of the TMNT brand sell-off from Mirage to Nickelodeon.

Some time after, Nickelodeon settled the licence rights with Playmates as the continued licencor of the TMNT brand for merchandising, and they've just been waiting for the new animated series to get closer to release before doing new product.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 am

More details on Playmates Classics & the line for the new cartoon:

(I believe most of this first stuff is the new cartoon)

"Now to the meat of the display - all the new stuff! On display were basic Turtles, "deluxe" Turtles, the new Turtles' Sewer Lair playset, role play toys, several vehicles, and more. Let's go through all of these individually.

Basic Turtles - OMG these are awesome!! I am not going to be able to do them justice in words. IIRC from the slide show presentation, the scale of these figures is between 4"-5". Before this event I was thinking that I would only be interested in new figures if they were in the 3.75" scale, but going slightly taller on these actually works perfectly. The Turtles prototypes were fully painted and each Turtle was a 100% unique sculpt - no use of identical bodies with just different heads here. The detail and paint and just the general look of these was amazing.

You may have noticed on the Michaelangelo poster Nickelodeon released that he has freckles. These freckles were beautifully (or, if you're me - adorably) detailed on the action figure. Also detailed on Mike, and not detailed on the other three Turtles, were blue pupils. When asked about that, the Playmates guys said that no decision on pupils had yet been made and they were honestly interested in hearing our feedback on that. I think most, if not all of the group, was in agreeance that as they were, the pupils looked fantastic and we would love figures that looked that great. However, this being the prototype, those pupils had been painted by a woman who specializes in doing just that. Retail figures would be painted in mass in China, and no one was optimistic that it would carry over as well. If it can be done well, pupils on these figures would look great, but if it can't be done well, the figures would still be spectacular without pupils. Another great detail was the weapons, which were all realistically colored and Mikey's nunchucks were actually linked chain! It was really hard not to grab Mikey and just run. ^_^

My only complaint about these figures goes back to the previously mentioned mysterious third toes. All of the Turtles featured very distinct and detailed third toes on each foot. This isn't enough to stop me from buying them, but these seriously have the potential to be the most ultimate TMNT figures of all time, and to have that third toe staring back at me for eternity on such a figure is an unnecessary blemish on otherwise perfection. Sadness!!

Other Basic Figures - Also on display was the unpainted Shredder prototype. Even unpainted he looked amazing! This also has potential to be the best Shredder figure ever. Unfortunately, Splinter was in a much more early development stage and I don't think he reflected what we will see with the final figure, so I have no real judgment on him. These six figures will probably be the entirety of the first wave we see hit stores in August 2012. An April figure would likely come in wave 2. Oh, and I think they said the price point was going to be $5.99, which is quite impressive.

Deluxe Figures - I don't think the Playmates guys actually called these "deluxe" figures, but they are the higher price point figures. The ones on display were in a really early development stage, and they asked us not to talk about them in detail, so I won't. I will say, however, that in concept, I hated these. It is just more of their standard "put the Turtles in wacky costumes and give them an action feature" that I can't stand. Bleh.

Mini Figures - These are a smaller scale, 2"-3", figure that sound destined for the European market (where apparently they love mini things). Only Leonardo was on display, but he looked very cool. I would buy it if it was sold here.

Vehicles - So, it turns out that I completely neglected to talk about the new vehicles in my previous post with details of the new show. I'll make up for that now since all of the (revealed) vehicles naturally will have a toy version. I do not remember the exact names of these vehicles, so please keep that in mind in your conversations.

Sewer Rail Glider - This is a converted train car that Donatello has retrofitted to be able to glide on the rails and also go top side to the street. The design for this is, in general, pretty cool. It kind of looks like a beefed-up party van/subway car hybrid with a paint job that seems to harken back to the old party van from the original cartoon. Playmates had a fully painted prototype on display and it looked to be a solid toy. I personally have no interest in buying vehicles, so I'm indifferent to it as a toy.

Stealth Shell - I found this thing to actually be really cool, both as a toy and as an element of the series. Basically, this is like a low-riding recumbent bicycle (but motorized) that is covered by flat armor (shaped like a turtle shell), which camouflages the rider when looked at from above. Again, there was a completed prototype on display, which was really rather sleek. I won't likely buy it just because I don't buy vehicles in general, but I'd have no problem buying this one for a kid.

Shredder/Foot Motorcycle - Nooooo, not more motorcycles! If there is something the TMNT line has had too much of through the years, it's motorcycles. So, as a toy this does nothing for me. As an element of the series, I think it'll be ok. As it was described to us, this thing is meant to be badass and loud. There's nothing stealthy about it - the person riding this wants to announce their arrival where ever it is they're going.

The Turtles' Lair - This thing is huuuuuge! Probably between 3'-4' tall. In describing it in detail I'd have to describe the general look of the Turtles' Lair, which I think I would fail miserably at, so I won't. But it's really cool! The prototype on display was really, really impressive and detailed. However, it was literally built from parts bought at Home Depot. I don't know how this is going to translate to a finished mass market toy, so that is my only hesitation. As with vehicles, I have no personal interest in buying playsets, but I think a lot of kids will have some serious fun with this. Playmates also mentioned potentially releasing add-on modules in the upcoming years that would make the playset even bigger.

Role Play - The role play toys on display were your standard colored bandannas and plastic weapons. I found it kinda weird how the masks had "eyebrows" sewn into them. I think they've tried to do this before, and I know the effect they're trying for, but I also think simple flat bandannas look better.

Classic Turtles - Oh yeah, that's right - classic Turtles. You know how there was never really any action figures that looked like how the Turtles looked in the old cartoon? Well, Playmates is ready to right that wrong. This line will be larger scale and with super articulation. The only figure on display was Raphael, and while he didn't look quite finished, he looked really cool. And although this line will start with the Turtles and maybe other standard characters, it sounds like there's potential to cover some of the more obscure characters. We'll have to see.

And I think that's it! And looking back at what I just typed, it's quite a lot! Playmates did mention that they intend for the line to take up significant shelf space in stores. And this is just the start of it - coming in 2013 (tentative) there will be even more to go along with the new movie. And it sounds like they intend for that line to be completely new/separate from the Nickelodeon series stuff. In short - lots of stuff to look forward to!"

http://ninja-pizza.blogspot.com/2011/04 ... -toys.html

Apparently Peter Laird was the one holding back Playmates from doing much vintage Turtle stuff. It seems his selling off all the rights was one of the best things that could happen to the license.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 am

Well, that kinda sounded reassuring that a comprehensive line is imminent

No pics floating around at all yet ?

had to laugh at the turtle lair ' built from parts bought at Home Depot' thats awesome!

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 pm

I'm loving the tiny scraps of information we're hearing about the "TMNT Classics". I just hope they really do expand beyond the four turtles.

I still have my NECA Raphael, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy the rest of the turtles because I was raised on the 1980's cartoon with the coloured bandanas, etc.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next