AFL Live (PS3 and Xbox) - Out NOW!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFL Live (PS3 and Xbox) - Out NOW!

Post by Jor-El on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi all

Just thought I'd take the opportunity to spruce the word about the new AFL game for PS3 and Xbox coming out on April 21st (Wii version will be out in May, but is made by different developers).

I had the opportunity to attend a play test at EB Midland yesterday hosted by the CEO of the development team (Big Ant Studios), and I can guarantee you that this game is awesome (if you like or love AFL).

They have not gone super depth with features such as career mode, but they have pretty much nailed the gameplay, graphics are really good, and there is the ability to create players, trade players and make custom teams/seasons. All in all, it's a great foundation for future versions. All the support is needed to ensure more AFL games are made, so if you have any interest in AFL and gaming, I urge you to buy this game.

There's a tonne of info on Big Footy (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=341). Here's my write up of my experience yesterday:

Ok, so went to the play test today. Big thanks to both Glenn and Ross for putting it on. Ross, you were awesome in basically watching people play all day and talking about aspects and depth of the game. Cheers for that. Glenn was great also, as he wouldn't play (maybe he was chicken Razz) but he wanted people to have go.

I was a bit of a hog, as I was there from 9am until about 2:30pm playing with various people. I tried to give other people a game but no one wanted to, so I kept going. My back is killing me now from those chairs!

Anyway, onto the game itself. Great gameplay. Controls are kept very simple and doesn't take long to get the hang of it. Graphics are great. I honestly think they're on par with FIFA, particularly during the game, but maybe that's just me. The menus are very slick and load time was very minimal.

Played a variety of teams throughout the day. West Coast and Fremantle were used multiple times but games weren't limited just to those two. After a few exhibition matches, Ross set up a NAB Cup and I think that worked better for getting a lot of people to have a go, because first round matches were quick.

After a few simmed games, I got to play the NAB Cup final as Melbourne against Collingwood by myself. The AI was on rookie, I think. I'm pretty sure Ross said it was on the 2nd lowest AI setting (there are 5 AI settings in total). Anyway, won pretty handsomely. The start of the final had the players line up for the national anthem. I was tempted to get the phone out and get some footage (Ross even said a lot of people on BF would be dying to see some of these shots) but in the end, I just wanted to play and have fun. Confetti rained down over the ground as it started as well, which was a cool touch, but the confetti was randomly pink, aqua and yellow. Razz

After winning, the players celebrated and we saw them gather for team photo with the NAB Cup trophy. They were snapped and the screen faded to B&W, which is a nice touch.

A few others joined in and we set up a finals series with all non-Vic sides (West Coast, Freo, Port, Crows, Sydney, Brissy, Gold Coast and Tassie... ah, I mean Hawthorn). Myself and another guy had gotten pretty used to it so we played against each other with a n00b each on our team (sorry guys!). Played for a while until someone else wanted a go, so I took off after almost 5 and a half hours of playing! Had a headache and sore back (ok, I'm old!) but had a great time. Feel like I've got my fix to tide me over until the 21st. Ross commented that I'm WA's HBK as well, which is cool. Razz

Oh, me and the guy who was playing for a while with me managed to flog Ross and another guy by 100 points (as West Coast v Freo). Scores were 101 to 1 (admittedly, Ross didn't start having a go until the margin was about 70 points, and his partner was having a bit of difficulty, but still WEST COAST BEAT FREO!).

Didn't see everything I would have wanted, mainly because the test was for playing matches. Can't wait to look at the custom teams, Ross tells me there's around 30 to 40 different jumpers you can use. He did show us the trophy room (we tried to see the NAB Cup in there, but because we simmed some games, it doesn't go into your trophy room) which has honour boards for all the awards you win (it includes the date won, level of difficulty you won it on, and team/player who won it). You also see the trophys you win displayed (NAB and Premiership... not sure if there were any others). You also see the individual medals (Brownlow, Coleman and Norm Smith) on the actual players who won it (like a wax dummy kind of display). Of course, as none of them had been won yet, there were just silouettes occupying those spots.

I've probably gone off on a tangent and not really discussed the gameplay a whole lot, but others have mentioned it. What I liked about the game was the ease of the ruck, goalkicking, kicking off the ground, tackling... well, pretty much everything. Ross tried to show us advanced techniques, such as pinpointing players, interchange on the fly, and bananas on the run, but given the situation of having to play strangers at different experience levels, there just wasn't the time to give it the attention it deserved. Will definitely we working on it when I have game in hand.

There are some little touches that just make the game. I really love how the crowd is just background, and out of focus, but when you kick a goal, you see them rise. Just real nice.

The commentary wasn't too bad. From the clips I've seen online, it seemed choppy. Ross said he's not happy with it, but to be honest, I really didn't notice it because I was too focused on playing. I may notice it more when playing at home, though.

Spoke to Ross about the release time of the next version. Some interesting info. Not sure if I should say anything, so I'll leave it up to him (he may have divulged it already, I may have missed it, but I don't think he has).

Also spoke briefly about the cricket game Big Ant are working on. He couldn't say much about it either (although he had it on the PS3 he brought over! Wouldn't let us play it Razz), but given the awesomeness that this AFL game is, I'm sure we're in for an awesome cricket game as well play during the footy off-season.

Anyways, that's my day. It was fun, I'm exhausted. And I didn't fly across the country and stand watching people playing all day! Thanks so much to Ross for coming over and to Glenn for hosting the playtest. It was great fun, and even though I missed an awesome Eagles win today (I did record it!), I'm glad I rocked up and had a chance to play.

I'll be getting this game and would love to play people here online. Smile I actually bought a PS3 just because this game was coming. Razz

Get on it people!

Last edited by Jor-El on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFL Live (PS3 and Xbox) - Out NOW!

Post by Jor-El on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Just an FYI that the game is now out. Street date was broken last week and now officially out everywhere.

Picked it up on Saturday. Good first up effort and encouraging signs for further versions. Smile

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:59 am

Actually enjoying this. Finding that it's a little unforgiving trying to hit a target by hand or kick, but not bad. Not great, but not bad.

Will have to hit you up for some online play Jor-El.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:09 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top