The News Thread (aka "Toyguru says...")

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The News Thread (aka "Toyguru says...")

Post by Sam on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:21 am

Just renewed then, got another notice, forgot that Panthor was sub this month as well !

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:56 pm

PANTHOR!!!

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oz-Scott on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm looking forward to un-flocked Panthor !!!

Oz-Scott

Number of posts : 189
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm

But for that to happen they will need to get the flock outta there and make some more!

bwahahaahaaa

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:17 am

TG on She-Ra 2.0:

We're not ready to spill the beans yet, but to help fans know what to do, the new She-Ra will be the first figure with the complete new female buck. It will feature a twist waist and other improvements. She will also have new arms and leg parts. It may only be the hands and hair that are shared between both figures, but I'd have to check with design to make sure of that. I don't have either figure in front of me right now.

2.0 will feature a few new accessories such as a toy accurate vintage sword and clip on "armor/headgear" pieces to allow a maskless look (without a hole in the head for the mask!). But to make the ultimate She-Ra you will need parts from the original release (such as the style guide head and red cape) so fans may want to pick up both versions to mix and match!

That's right fans, buy both the figure we screwed up originally and this new fixed one if you want to have a filmation style She-Ra capable of riding Swift Wind like you always wanted! Double dipping is awesome (for Matty's bottom line)

On 200X:

We do have some 200X "variants" in the long term plan. When they will show up, we're not ready to spill the beans on quite yet! Stay tuned! We know fans want this which is why we built it into the long term roll out plan created around the time of Stratos' release. So far, we haven't strayed that much from the plan! So these variants are coming in time...

So they were always going to make certain 200X inspired variants after all huh, going all the way back to Stratos, and despite all that they said about that style being 'retired'? Colour me utterly unsurprised. In fact this is exactly what I said they'd do, tell us for ages that 200X was basically impossible, then turn around and tell us they are making certain 200X based variants 'because the fans demanded it', thus negating double dipping complaints as much as possible. Oh matty, you so transparent...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Buying another She-Ra doesn't bother me. I just hope her face is painted better this time.

With 200x, the issues were the hyper anime details. As TG stated 'this look is retired'.

We have Carnivus, Faceless One & Marzo, so they can make 200x characters.

Retired - 200x scale - Ram Man & Beast Man will not be twice the size of others

Retired - hyper detailed designs - Remembering Mattel were not happy with Marzo, these designs will be altered to look more 'MOTUC' in future. Less detailed & angular in look.

Or...perhaps it is all a big conspiracy! Very Happy

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:10 pm

What, you mean hyper anime details such as the look of upcoming Faceless one for instance? And we're not talking about 200X specific characters made in a classics style here anyway, they are talking about making 200X inspired variants of major characters. Something they ruled out before, because that look was 'retired'.

Also one of the major reasons given why they are no longer doing 200X second heads is because the 200X look is retired. Now they are saying they will be doing 200X variants of already established/made/a-list characters. How exactly do you do that without using their 200X look? Because if you aren't using that 200X look then it wouldn't be a 200X character variant to begin with...

I like the line. I don't like the lying.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Wouldn't they be talking about things like the colour update for Evil-Lyn?

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:51 pm

I really have no idea! Laughing

When do they start showing all the comic con goodies?

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:14 pm

They said they finished filming the aots sdcc exclusive segment and to look out for it in the last week of april....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:42 am

THe 200X variants will be repaints of existing figures wilth a new head......

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 am

From Ask Matty:

4. If the MOTUC vehicle for 2011 is successful in terms of sales, can we expect a stronger push for vehicles in the years to come? The vintage MOTUC line had tons of vehicles and it seems like we would need at least two per year to really fill out releases.

Matty: Hopefully, we really can’t say any more until we see how the first one does. But don’t expect more then one a year for 2011 and maybe 2012 if the 2011 vehicle does well.

5. Matty, a hypothetical question for you. IF you were able to attain the rights to produce figures of MOTU characters that originated in the FilMation shows, how do you think you would release them? There would be a TON of new characters added so would a quarterly FilMation release be something you might explore? That way, each month in a quarter would have an A-List variant, large item or FilMation character. Seems like a great way to get them out. This of course is not official, just if you had carte blanche with that roster.

Matty: If we did gets these rights we would most likely rush one or two to market as soon as possible and then sprinkle the rest in every year much as we do other “factions” like POP or Snake Men so that every year had some of everything.

Some funky pics posted over on fwoosh from Wizards online mag:
http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=131&t=65022&start=315

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:44 am

SDCC items to be revealed today!

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu May 12, 2011 1:33 pm

Just read the news that there will be 4 big announcements at SDCC.

Some have guessed a presence at retail, a possible new series or another furthing branching of the license perhaps with Barbies or more Polly Pockets or something. The acquisition of FILMation rights would be awesome!

Around 8 weeks to go.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu May 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I would assume that a videogame announcement from THQ would be one of the 4.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1509
Trading Status : 23
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 am

News on Castle Grayskull:

Posted by ToyGuru August 22, 2011 07:21 PM

"Even to do a presale would requite a lot of design work to figure out how big it is, how does it fit together, does it have any working parts? etc... We can't just say "we're going to do a $300.00 CG, who wants to buy one!"

If we asked for $200-$300 dollars fans would want to know details about what they would be getting for this price and to get "there" it would take mucho design work, even if we saved on tooling by waiting for a presale.

CG is a big ticket item, several hundred dollars at min. Fans are already saying the sub and non sub items are getting too expensive (well over $500 per year). To ask for the design resources for an item that will push it to over $800 in a year in a year when sub sales are down is just not going to happen no matter how much I want the Castle myself!

Keep in mind that everything we green light or hold back on is in an effort to keep the ling going as long and strong as possible. When and if we do certain projects is all strategic. The vintage line went away in part due to over production. The Stactions died because they burned through A list characters too quick.

We are paying attention to past learnings and growing this line slowly and at a pace our customers can keep up with. Nothing is done to spur fans, it is done with the best of intensions!"

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2131094575/m/9101061117

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:58 pm

About DCUC:

If the sub goes through it will be at the advertised price.

However, we are exploring the possibilty of higher prices for non sub holders who buy product day of (i.e. cherry pickers). This is similar to how magaiznes cost more at a news stand vs. having a subscription. This is only one of many options we are exploring based on the subscription numbers we got (less then the needed 100%) and is not at all the direction we are for sure going in. Right now we are just exploring many options to see if anything is possible to keep the sub alive based on the lower then expected sub interest.

But for those who bought a sub, if the sub goes forward you are locked in to the advertised prices even if maybe possibly day of prices goes up slightly (1 or 2 dollars).

If the sub is canceled, yes of course full refunds will be given for any charges!

About DCUC and *possibly* the other figures on mattycollector.com:

We don't know at this point if we are even going in this direction for any subs, but it is something being reviewed since all of the subs were down (and DC did not even hit the bare min we need to move forward! At least MOTU did that!).

Also, keep in mind, currently we are still selling MOTUC figures for the same price we sold them for in 2008. If their are no price increases that means in 2012 we will have held prices for 4 years and skipped over two company wide manditory price increases. (look at DCUC, in 2008 they were at 9.99 and in 2011/2012 they are 14.99, yet MOTUC has not gone up).

One of the reason we are running into cost issues on character like Draego Man is because we have been maintaining the 2008 pricing but our costs keep going up. We are doing everything we can to keep figures at this cost, but with the increased cost of raw goods, the increase in labor costs and now the lower production due to lower sub sales we will need to make some hard choices. We certainly don't want to sacrifice quality, (and won't!) but if it means losing an accessory or slightly raising prices, nothing is off the table. At the end of the day this line needs to make sense from a buisness perspective and we simply can not afford to continue charging 2008 pricing.

But I will confirm (as stated above) if you bought a sub you are locked into that price. We will hold to that.

Everyother option to keep this line (and all collector lines) going strong is being reviewed and discussed. We won't know an answer for a few more weeks if their are any price increasing in 2012 or 2013, but we are looking into it if it will keep the line going. Regardless, their will be no price increases for sub holders. If you bought a sub you are locked in.

As a non-subscriber, I'm not happy. I'd prefer to see subscribers REWARDED for their loyalty (free figure, stands, etc) instead of seeing non-subscribers PUNISHED.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 pm

As I said over on The Org, realistically, I think for 2013 they should probably do...

2013 figures for subscribers: $22

2013 figures for "Day of Sale (cherry-picker)" customers : $25

As TG said, Mattel's retail figure lines have increased by a whopping 50%, while MotUC has stayed the same. Next year is the time for this change.

Really, most subscriptions have you paying less per item than single sales, so it would make sense for MattyCollector to follow suit.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Yeah, you can't deny what Scott is saying, not even ML maintained the same prices for 4 years. I don't think it's punishing non sub holders, but can you imagine the $£\] fight that would occur if they upped the prices on the sub figs post sale? Although they might have sold more 2012 subs if they said these things while they were still available.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:06 am

I think upping the price a bit is better than sacrificing accessories.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:45 am

http://www.he-man.org/news_article.php?id=2100

Would Ram Man Be a Beast Size Figure? So $30?

Question: If and when you get to Ram Man, and the fact he would require 100% new tooling as you've stated, would he be a beast class figure? $30?

TG: Right now the plan is to keep him as a standard monthly slot, he will just "likely" be a little bigger. But since he is not locked in for 2012, we can't 100% confirm anything at this point. Many monthly figures have been 100% tools (or close) such as Teela, Sorceress, Hssss, Leech, etc.. so 100% tool does not mean if can't be a monthly figure!

Shadow Weaver's buck?

Question: Seeing as how she is a sub figure can her dress buck be reused? It would look good on the 2 lady 2002 elders.

Answer: Of course we can reuse her parts. We just won't reissue Shadow Weaver. I'm guessing her head won't have a reuse, but we've already gotten contest entries using her body buck.

ToyGuru on MOTUC 'dying'

It really helps if you can make your questions direct and to the point. What I think you are asking is a general status of the future of the line?

MOTUC is doing great. We had more then enough subs to keep it going as is. The only change is that because we didn't see growth (but rather a decline) in sub sales, that will prevent the brand team from going to management to ask for MORE resources to add additional skus (like how we grew the line in 2009 by adding beasts, and in 2011 we are adding a vehicle). So you will see a bit of a stepping back in term of growing beyond the current offerings in late 2012 or 2013.

Every move we make is with the continued longevity of the line in mind. We are very aware to not overproduce or make too many skus beyond the buying power of our fan base. We want the line to continue strong and it is doing very well. MOTUC by far outsold all other subs. We just need to be mindful that despite adding in Filmation, free mini comics, Shadow Weaver, Granamyr the 30th anniversary line, the create a character contest and the Windraider, we still had a reduction in sub purchases for 2012 (which we thought would be our biggest year ever- come on, free Mini comics people! Fearless Photog! Filmation! What else can we do?!)

This trend prevents us from taking the next leap forward (i.e. playsets or other larger items) just for now, but it doesn't effect the current number of skus being offered. The line is going great! Thanks for your support. If sub sales go back up in 2013 we can certainly revisit growing the line again one day.

We will keep MOTUC going as long as their is a fan base to support it! Once you stop buying, we stop making them.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Maybe they wouldn't have seen a decline in subscriptions if they gave fans more control on what they were subscribing to.

Derrrrr matty.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 am

BIG update from Matty:

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.News#2011SubOpenAgain

Subscriptions are re-opening. Prices for DCUC and MOTUC will be higher in 2012 for non-subscribers. Non-subscription DCUC will be $18.00 for 6" and $45.00 for over-sized. Non-subscription prices for MOTUC have NOT been announced.

The sales of the Voltron Pilots and Lions are now being combined so you cannot purchase the Lions without also purchasing the Pilots. Basically, they're moving the "cheaper" alternative to the subscription if you weren't interested in the Pilots.

More news to follow about Ghostbusters apparently.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Everything in the update was common sense except for one thing.

DCU "day-of" regular figures will be priced 20% higher? Fair enough.

DCU "day-of" oversized figures will be priced 50% higher? Neutral

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm

^^^^

I thought that was really odd as well. It's probably just those dastardly logistics again.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top