The News Thread (aka "Toyguru says...")

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The News Thread (aka "Toyguru says...")

Post by Artistix on Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:22 am

Nice. Thanks for that Sledge.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am

From he-man.org re SDCC 2011 exclusives:

Q. Last year there were two MOTU SDCC exclusive items (Orko + Adam and Mo-Larr + Skeletor). How many MOTU SDCC exclusives there will be in 2011?

A. We can confirm we will have two giant announcements to make for the brand at SDCC for the 30th! We will have two MOTU items. One will be a single figure with high piece count, the second will be a three pack. For more details stay tuned to Mattycollector.com!

My MOTU knowledge isn't sufficient to discern much from Mattel's response. Another "giant" figure? Maybe that dragon? A three-pack of ... Horde Troopers, Star Sisters or something else entirely?

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 am

Modulok and Star Sisters maybe?

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Yeah, I didn't put together "high piece count" = Modulok (or Multibot). I thought Mattel was just saying that there would be plenty of the figure available, not that the figure itself would be a "high piece count".

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Or lo-kee kowl and cringer?

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:12 am

Bad news for re-release fans and late comers:

There will still be re-releases for the second half of the year, but after that we will be cutting back dramatically on the number of re-releases as only really the top A list characters sell well enough the second time around. Going forward fewer characters will be getting re-releases starting with the second half of 2011.

Apparently taking a few days to sell out of something is still ridiculously seen as a curse and not good enough by Matty...

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 am

I can understand that... but if a figure sells out dramatically quickly, surely a re-release is warranted?

As it stands, if it takes a day for a FIRST release to sell-out, it's understandable (although sucky if you can't order on the day). Just as long as people get a chance and don't get screwed over by the sucky website.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:41 pm

^^^^

Is that an "April Fools" answer or a "real" answer? If it's "real", then that is incredibly lame of Mattel and just another way for them to force people to buy the subscription. If a figure sells out in minutes, then it clearly needs a re-release in the future.

If a figure sells out in 2-3 days, then maybe it's not a top priority for a re-release, but it shouldn't be excluded from ever being re-released in the future. I passed on Grizzlor for a variety of reasons, but it doesn't mean I don't hope to pick him up in the future. If Mattel's attitude is basically "subscribe or miss out", then I'll definitely consider my collection to be "complete" a lot sooner.

As others have been saying since MOTUC began, a pre-order system for non-subscribers would surely take out a lot of guess-work involved with manufacturing the figures.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 am

I have seen no evidence that this was an april fools type answer, unfortunately.

By the way, speaking of lame, apparently in what I can only imagine is an effort to make sure that people buy the She-Ra re-release in May, or at least the DC vs MotU 2 pack She-Ra, the updated She-Ra 2.0 figure that is being made so that fans will have a She-Ra that will actually be able to ride on Swift Wind (as the original figure can't) will only be coming with the less popular toy version head, and won't include the styleguide/filmation style head at all.

In other words if you want to own a filmation/style guide She-Ra that can ride Swift Wind then you will have to buy not just the new She-Ra 'fixed' release later this year, but also the re-release of the original She-Ra, or instead lay down extra cash for the VS pack version coming out which is coming with just the filmation head and a repainted sword. Or I guess you could use the filmation head from the original release if you have it and don't mind leaving the original release with just the toy version head.

So basically, they screwed up in making a She-Ra that wouldn't be able to ride on Swift Wind, then tell us, sorry but don't worry, you can buy an all new updated version of She-Ra that will be able to ride of Swift Wind for yet more dollars down the line, and now tell us that if you want the new corrected version to have a filmation style head that the original had then you have to spend more money and get that from yet another release (either the re-release, vs two pack version, or taking it from the previously released version already purchased) in order to do so.

So much for being 'fan friendly'...

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:44 am

Without revisiting my earlier comments/beliefs about the longevity of this line, but I'm telling you people, MOTU ain't setting the world on fire for Matty like they want it to. By reducing and ulitmately stopping the re-release of figures, this will ensure more people SUBSCRIBE! Every day "Joe Blow" isn't buying MOTUC.....only the die-hard fans are. And only die-hard fans are too stupid to see that they're being taken for a ride. The longer this line goes on, more and more people will drop off. I'm far from happy to be a subscriber for this line, but honestly, it's the only way you're going to get 'easily' the figures that really count. Think about it, now that they have stated their position on re-releases, how many people will take up the sub because they're afraid of missing out?

As for the "high piece count" comment, this is more likely stating that the single figure will be produced in HIGH numbers, meaning ALL fans should be able to get it, be it a SDCC or later online at Matty.com.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Without revisiting my earlier comments/beliefs about the longevity of this line, but I'm telling you people, MOTU ain't setting the world on fire for Matty like they want it to. By reducing and ulitmately stopping the re-release of figures, this will ensure more people SUBSCRIBE! Every day "Joe Blow" isn't buying MOTUC.....only the die-hard fans are. And only die-hard fans are too stupid to see that they're being taken for a ride. The longer this line goes on, more and more people will drop off. I'm far from happy to be a subscriber for this line, but honestly, it's the only way you're going to get 'easily' the figures that really count. Think about it, now that they have stated their position on re-releases, how many people will take up the sub because they're afraid of missing out?

As for the "high piece count" comment, this is more likely stating that the single figure will be produced in HIGH numbers, meaning ALL fans should be able to get it, be it a SDCC or later online at Matty.com.
Wow, um, TBH it's this kind of negativity that keeps me from reading the org or Marty forums, and while I respect your right to voice your opinion, calling subscribers stupid is a fairly hefty thing to do. Personally I like the sub option, and I don't think I'm being taken for a ride. I'd hate to leave here because of a quibble, but I love this line and I just want to enjoy it for what it is, a fun toyline....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

Re-read my commment and you'll see I'm a subscriber.....oh wait, hang on, that makes me stupid by my own logic!

My comment is my view of how Mattel views MOTU collectors.

Someone needs thicker skin me thinks.

Last edited by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:12 am

I am in for the sub. Don't feel like I'm being taken for a ride.

Many do, I understand....sucks to be them. I'm happy as a pig in mud.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:18 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Re-read my commment and you'll see I'm a subscriber.....oh wait, hang on, that makes me stupid by my own logic!

My comment is my view of how Mattle views MOTU collectors.

Someone needs thicker skin me thinks.

No offence intended, i don't know whats going on with you lately, definately not the Paul of old.........

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am

Good Dr, I reckon there's a slight disconnect in what you're saying.

The die-hard MOTU collector would be fairly happy with the sub, as it gives the die-hard everything, all-in pretty much. And that's what any "die-hard" would generally want.

On the other hand, the push towards the sub, that Matty seems to be doing, is a turn-off for the non-diehard. What with the troubles of the online retailing on their site, and the seemingly low production runs, anything that makes it more difficult for the casual collector to buy only the figures that they want and cherry-pick, would inevitably lead to more casual collectors giving up because it's too difficult.

I don't think that the die-hards are the issue, really. It's me, and people like me. And, if the size of the die-hard community isn't enough on its own to support the line, then, yes, sooner rather than later the shrinking casual collector base will make the line unfeasible economically. And it'll finish.

I imagine that it's not very dissimilar to any collectable line though. I'm sure ML sales started shrinking as the difficulty in building BAF's made being a completist more difficult. And even in comics, where you can see shrinking sales for any given title month-on-month, reflects this.

My only hope is that the line can last long enough to get through the vintage MOTU that I want, and looking at the list of characters, there's only about 10 left that I'd like. So it'll be interesting to see if Matty get through everything until the end of Series 4 of the vintage figures.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Oz-Scott on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 am

I LOVE having a sub!! Mostly cos I don't have to get up at 3/4am to order.. And I LOVE every figure Matty releases.. Yeah, they screwed up with She-Ra, but I can look past that cos MotU is my passion..
Maybe I'm too easily pleased..

Oz-Scott

Number of posts : 189
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:29 am

Nope. You're the person the sub is made for, which is my point exactly.

The flipside of my point being that the sub is off-putting for the casual collector.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 pm

What I was trying to say, is that Mattel is of the belief that if everything is available only as a sub, people will be 'stupid' enough to join sign up to buy figures that they really don't want. They want to turn everyone into a Die-Hard fan. And I am now one of those 'stupid' people!

I imagine that it's not very dissimilar to any collectable line though. I'm sure ML sales started shrinking as the difficulty in building BAF's made being a completist more difficult. And even in comics, where you can see shrinking sales for any given title month-on-month, reflects this.

Princess Leia said this perfectly another way...."The more you tighten your grip, the more star systems will slip through your fingers" Wink

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:21 pm

This is going to make it hard to do the 'MOC' thing for me, as I only put down for one subscription, but have been relying on the fact that the reissue will come about and I can get another for the MOC option.

I definatly dont want to buy 2 subscriptions, so I guess its a lose/lose situation. I dont get a 2nd fig, and matty doesn't get to sell it too me.

So long as I get one of each figure Im happy enough, it may even force my hand into selling off my doubles purely because I cant get a whole collection on card without paying a premium!

It doesn't really seem like they are doing what fans are wanting so much, no matter what is said in the propaganda for them. As simmo said so long as the core characters are done I will be happy enough, I dont much care for the New adventures or She Ra for that matter, but because they are so well done I dont mind having them.

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 pm

You know, *I* am a "die-hard" fan.

I want a figure of every character/beast, and am a subscriber.

BUT...

What I don't want are reversed shoulders, compromised articulation due to poor design, and other errors forced upon me simply because I love the property, and like convenience.

Reducing re-issues (which often have improvements over the initial runs), and blatant carelessness (She-Ra's inability to ride a beast, Hssss' inability to bend his legs forward at the hip) however really do annoy me, and make me wonder if the sub really is worth it (despite my adoration of the overarching MotU brand).

If Mattel/4H really can be innept enough to willingly make a She-Ra that can't ride Swift Wind, then I'd like the ability to opt out of buying some figures, and wait for later re-issues/redos.

Therefore I am a "die-hard" fan, yet I too find many of Mattel's actions (especially of late) to be a "turn-off".

Last edited by DroothR on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 pm

I like your comments DroothR as what you have described here are essentially inexcusable for a line that costs us the $$$ that it does. And to me, these very issues illustrate what I would consider to be nothing other than 'contempt' for the die-hards.....that no matter what we produce, you're gonna buy it.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:33 am

Ugh just another nail in the coffin for this line IMO, I really love these figures but Matty's constant rule changing and not fixing long standing issues is driving people away, I wish they brought the single figure sub back!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:47 am

Just got an email saying that Syklone wont be on sale on the 14th, I assume its just going a day later though?

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:59 am

Sam wrote:Just got an email saying that Syklone wont be on sale on the 14th, I assume its just going a day later though?

I think it just means that's the date sub orders will ship, as the sale date doesn't seem to have changed on the site (and was always set for the 15th).

Actually I just now got a "your subscription has renewed" email from matty too, stating I've been charged and my sub items are about to ship, so who knows...

Matty, eh? Confusing much?

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am

lol yeh, tah. Thought it was a kinda weird email to get =-/

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top