New Member Saying G'day

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Member Saying G'day

Post by mrcool37 on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Hi OZfigurama, how's it going?

I've finally decided to start looking at buying figures again after a bit of a hiatus, and I was quickly led to this awesome little ozzie community! Seems as though there's plenty more people like me, who just haven't been able to fully grow out of action figures.

Some superb collections from what I've seen so far, most people here seem to adore their superheroes from older cartoons. I kind of feel out of place here because they generally don't interest me when I look for figures. Plus I haven't really been able to spot any gaming figurines here. Shocked

I watch a bit of animated comedy and a fair few movies, I like to play a bit of golf, but I am a bit of a gamer in my spare time, so my collection mainly consists of gaming and movie figurines rather than superheroes/comic figures. Square-Enix and Neca are probably my favourite manufacturers, I have roughly 30 figures from the Final Fantasy Play/Trading Arts series. They are quite detailed and have plenty of articulation. I just don't have the courage to take them (along with most of my other figures) out of the box.

I also look for detailed statues as well, having various items from Halo, Bioshock, Resident Evil, and Mass Effect. My most prized possession is a T-800 1:1 Endoskull from Terminator 2 by Sideshow Collectibles. I have some photos of everything from a few months ago, maybe I should post them up?

So finally I have a little play money to spend on some figures (I haven't bought any in probably 8-10 months). After doing a bit of a search I have just stumbled upon some great looking figures that I've never previously seen, for my favourite TV series, South Park. The Mezco series looks fantastic, and I've decided to try and hunt down as many as I can from all of the series, and the search has landed me here. I'm also looking towards the recent TMNT figure set by Neca, but they are becoming quite rare to find.

Anyway, enough from me, hope to see you all in the forums!

mrcool37

Number of posts : 1
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2011-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member Saying G'day

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:13 am

Greetings and salutations.

The collecting scene seems to go through certain cycles, sometimes it seems to be all about the superheroes, with lines like Marvel Legends and Spawn back in the day, or DC Universe Classics now. Sometimes the movie licenses seem to dominate, like Movie Maniacs did for a long while there, and the other McFarane movie lines and the birth and growth of Neca, kicked off by things like their Hellraiser line. Sometimes it's the revival of old licenses that get new life, like G.I. Joe, Transformers, or most recently, Masters of the Universe, and now Thundercats. But at all times the common fabric is that colectors collect, and even if a certain type isn't at it's popular height at any given time, there are usually still good releases to capture almost any collectors interest at any given time if you keep your eyes open. And collectors can always share the common love of collecting, and the excitement or opinions over what interests them, even if we don't always collect the same things, because while the objects of our various desires may be different, we're all players in the same game.

I mean members here like Artistix and Blacksmith, just for example, collect a lot of stuff that I never would in a million years, simply because it's not to my personal taste, however that doesn't make me any less interested in their collections, their opinions, or them as people and fellow collectors. A site like this, it's our diversity that is our real strength, and what keeps the place interesting. If everyone only collected the exact same things this place would get pretty damn stale. But we have Transformers collectors, G.I. Joe collectors, statue collectors, hot toys collectors, hellboy, movie figures and game figures collectors, anime figure collectors, superhero character collectors, and many many more besides. And most collectors have various interests, and don't just collect one or two things, but have various pieces and lines that appeal to them. Sure, Masters of the Universe is on a populist hot streak right now, but if that doesn't interest you don't let that put you off, just jump right in and contribute and tell us about what does interest you. Start some discussion, you're sure to find other collectors here jumping in on the conversation, and who collect the same things, even if it's not as 'well advertised'.

And definitely start a thread over in Shelf Life and show off your stuff, this place is all about celebrating our collecting obsessions, so we'd love to see yours as well pal.

Again, welcome aboard.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 am

What Sledge said. Very Happy

Welcome aboard!

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:08 am

Welcome to the show! Wink You'll find that although there is a 'mainstream' collecting bug that a lot of people here collect one line similarly, many of us are still collecting other lines that most others don't or aren't interested in the current big thing.
Great to have you here and hopefully we'll see some of your collection soon Smile

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:53 am

Hello and welcome aboard! Can't wait to see some pics of your collection mate!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 am

wow cool another new member, welcome to greenest website you ever did see Wink

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs