New York Toy Fair 2011 reveal thread

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New York Toy Fair 2011 reveal thread

Post by The Scream Man on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:36 am

i saw the news and had to come by: Blonde Bikini...sorry Battleground Teela? As opposed to any of the other lead females people still are after?

That would hurt me a little...

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:27 am

After seeing Clawful's shield, I'm very much hoping it can clip onto his back to recreate his 200X look.

Smile

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:30 am

Clawful!!! Yeah Baby!

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:07 am

Oh, nice. A bit of negative banter through the interwebs about the selection of the "bikini" Teela.

I must say, I really like the figure and I hope we get a few more mini comic characters here and there.

Does anyone know if Mattel are actively chasing Filmation for the rights of the characters from the original cartoon?

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:11 am

The Scream Man wrote:i saw the news and had to come by: Blonde Bikini...sorry Battleground Teela? As opposed to any of the other lead females people still are after?

That would hurt me a little...

I must admit, I was a bit sad to see no Sorceress OR Marlena...but surely one of them will be shown at SDCC.

As it is mini comic Teela is a fantastic looking figure!

Great to see Faceless One - Evil-Lyn needs her pappi

MEGATOR!

They really managed to capture Catra's look from the toon. The square jaw & really high cheek bones, she looks awesome. Masks are great too.

Nice to see Man-E-Faces & Clawful too.

Last edited by Artistix on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 am

Too...

..much.. win... all.. round.... head ... EXPLODE!!!

LOVING it, I can't really fault anything there, although not really fussed on Magator ( magat... or...) and faceless one, but Man E Faces, Clawful, Catra even, and what a surprise with mini comic teela! Great abs lol.

Yessir, I Likee!

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 am

THey said that battleground teela will be a june figure, but I wonder if its sub or extra ? I hope its a sub !

and the re release of a new she ra that fits swiftwind is unsurprising! I kinda strongly dislike the current figure TBH. Prefer adora more.

Tme to find more pics of Man E !

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 am

Great reveals. Much better line up that the start of the year. Clawful is absolutely beautiful.

TNI has pics up, plent of Man-E there.

EDIT. Release schedule: http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2011_Toy_Fair%2FMattel%2FMOTUC%2F&pic=IMG_2542.jpg&dispsize=800&start=20

I'm not a fan of the mini-comic colours of Man-E, so I'm hoping the vintage toy version colours win out. Although I'm nervous they won't, as people seem to be anti-orange skin. Razz

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:54 pm

I love how they corrected Sy-Klone's name in blank texta. It wouldn't be a matty convention appearance without a typo or two... Laughing

But yeah, even though none of my most wanteds made an appearance again (one day...) I think this is a pretty great line up to be honest.

Megator who I never had much interest in, or particular attachment for, looks great.

Bikini Teela I think is a great sculpt, and I'm very happy to have her, whether she's classed as being Teela, or a 'new' character. Either way she'll make a fine companion piece for Vikor on my shelf. Valeria to his Conan if you will...

Faceless One is another character I didn't particularly care about all that much, but he looks great, so again happy to have him.

Clawful looks pretty much as you'd expect, and he's another addition I'll be happy to have. If his shield clicks onto his back that would be a cool touch, it's a nice shield either way. Plus I'm very glad they didn't put the stupid ring thing on his mace (the way they did on Buzz Off's axe), as with articulated claws it's just not needed.

Man-E-Faces looks good, and I'm glad that they chose to go with a rotating face action rather than pop in plates, ala the battle armor stuff. I do wish the robot face was a little more detailed though, to be honest. As far as skin colour or orange, I don't mind too much either way, and I'd imagine that, if they last that long, the other version will likely be released as a variant at some point anyhow.

Final version of King Hsss looks good overall, but I do wish they have changed the bottom half of the snake form so that it didn't look as though it had been abruptly cut off. I might try painting the top of the flatage black in the hopes that it looks more like the snake parts are coming out of darkness, rather than just cut off suddenly at the waist line like that. If they had only added a coiled snake around the bottom part of the sculpt to hide the connection better it would have looked so much better in my opinion. The snake head and human form look good though.

It's also interesting that MOTUC seems to be moving further and further away from the ab-crunch, or at least not being worried about limiting any movement from it with sculpting or armor. This is no bad thing in my opinion, because to me the sculpt should always come first anyway, but I'm sure there will be fans unhappy about that.

Catra and Bow still look good, Panthor and BA Skeletor are still much wanted, and Preternian Disguise He-Man still bores the hell out of me, cosmic key or not.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Toynewsi is reporting the following:

"Swiftwind will be the final over-sized beast released in 2011. There will also be a new She-Ra figure released that will see fixes to it so that the figure will be able to sit on the horse. It will also have a maskless head and tooled with a new female body. It will be sold as a separate figure on the same day Swiftwind goes on sale".

I'm not sure how reliable the information is. IF it's true, then I hope they go with a full re-deco as an A-List variant instead of re-releasing She-Ra in the same Filmation-accurate gear, but with "working" articulation that enables the figure to sit on Swiftwind.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:23 pm

New female body ay?
I wonder what they are changing.

I'm not bothered by the lack of ab crunch on some figures.

Megator I am excited for...love characters that add more size variety.

Comic Teela has a funky loincloth:

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:10 pm

I think she's my favourite figure of all the reveals, but maybe that's just the RE Howard/barbarian fan in me talking. She'll look great alongside Vikor anyways.

I do find it kind of interesting that they have chosen to give such a clearly visible face to the 'Faceless One', but it's a damn nice sculpt either way.

Oh, and apparently Man-E-Faces will have a secret accessory included that they aren't yet ready to reveal. Different set of faces maybe? Surely it can't just be the added weapons, as all those sculpts have been seen before, and there wouldn't be any reason to hold that news back if it was just that? Hmmm...

And the colour choice poll for Man-E-Faces will apparently go live tomorrow on mattycollector.com, though they didn't say whether that would be on the main site or on the forums. They also point out what I already speculated on, that both versions may well be made eventually.

Also gotta say I think the comb whip for Catra is pretty lame and pointless. Sure, it was a fun enough gag with She-Ra's axe comb, but do we really need to have a whole string of silly comb weapons? Surely the tooling dollars could be better used elsewhere, or on better accessories?

I'm not seeing any reason to chase down versus pack She-Ra, but the new boots and a repaint Zodak is growing on me, might get him eventually. Hmmm, they need to include another colour Zodak vest in the next weapons pack, dark grey one perhaps...

Apparently March re-releases are now Adora, Count Marzo and Evil Lynn, that's a lot of re-releases for an already pretty packed month.

Weapon's rack is in April along with Moss Man.

Stratos (remaining stock) re-release in May along with Whiplash.

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Quick thoughts off the top of my head:

- Catra
Looks great, but a shame that the collar piece doesn't quite meet up with the dress below her neck. I like the idea of the comb-whip, but the execution seems half-assed - it should have been a whip with comb influence, not a comb with a whip extension.

- The Faceless One
...has a face. Neutral Seriously, how do you do that? Anyhow, this one fell short of my hopes. I'd like the figure more if it had a less detailed head and black paint on the inside of the collar area (to help "shadow" his head).

- Battle Ground Teela
I had a feeling that there was going to be a "surpise" figure revealed, and this was it. I don't like this figure as Teela, but someone over on the .Org suggested that perhaps the name refers to "The Ultimate Battleground" (ie. the great war of He-Ro/Grayskull's time), and if so, maybe this "Teela" isn't the one we know at all, but perhaps a past legendary warrior for whom the Teela we all know was named after? Nice looking figure, anyway.

- Clawful
I love it overall, but that head (just like Buzz-Off) is too "vintage". I would have prefered 10-20% more crocodilian influence from Clawful's appearance in other media. I too am glad that his mace doesn't have the silly handle loop that Buzz-Off's ax had. Still hoping that shield can clip on his back... Wink

- Man-E-Faces
Looks perfect! Sadly though, I see a majority swing in forum discussions toward the cardback deco (flesh instead of orange), and this is something that I really would not prefer. No idea what his "secret accessory" is. Popular speculation is that it's a second faces piece, but I don't think that would be it.

- Megator
Looks ok. If it has ball-jointed shoulders, I'll like it, if the shoulders are cuts (like on Tytus), then I wont.

I have to say, I'm kind of concerned at the lack of New Adventures figures. There's a LOT of them, and if things keep going the way they are, the last 3 years of MotUC are going to be nothing but NA & PoP figures. pale

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I am very excite... and Clawful is my favourite by far. Very Happy

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:13 am

Interesting 2-pack choice. She-ra vs........Supergirl?

And not the really cool looking Supergirl either.

I would have thought Wonder Woman would be a better choice in regards to sales. And in general.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:13 am

nah, had to be a blonde chic fight, with bubbles....

at the car wash..

hmmmm...

Man e Faces half half I guess meant he just looks like hes tanned not glaring orange, as he's not as light skinned as the others...

either way hes so bought!

BTW, anyone else still waiting for Guards 2 pack order to arrive? its still not here in canberra?

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Just got mine here, but came via Austria......sheeeesh

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:11 pm

Dabigfella wrote:And I'd say a major player, the likes of Man E Faces or Stinkor (I'm hoping for Ram Man) and possibly some sign of Swift Wind fo sho...
Wow, i forgot i picked Man e, not bad to get one right for once!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Re: Two-pack

I was really surprised by the inclusion of possibly one of the worst female DCUC figures Mattel has ever made. The other Supergirl looks much better and I *think* is closer to her current appearance (although I can understand Mattel not wanting to include her since she's already in a two-pack in the US).

Still, Wonder Woman seems like the more obvious choice. Perhaps they are saving Wonder Woman for another two-pack? They need to re-release Giganta somehow not to mention the naked/furry Cheetah.

If not Wonder Woman, then even Powergirl would have been a better choice instead of white t-shirt Supergirl. I think it's also pretty crap that She-Ra's only change was a silver sword. Surely they could have also given her a silver shield replaced all the "gold" parts of the figure and weapons with silver as a way to pay tribute to her 25th anniversary?

Still, I don't know who will be buying the two-pack with the faulty She-Ra and crappy Supergirl when Mattel have now confirmed that they're releasing a corrected She-Ra together with Swiftwind.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 pm

The two-packs are a way of having consumers who recognise a 'superhero' character purchase a MOTU figure at the same time. Die-Hard MOTU fans buy the two packs simply to satisy the 'completist' mind. Seriously, no MOTU fan is buying the 2-packs for the DC figure! Don't for a second think the two packs are anything other than a marketing tool used by Mattel and a revenue stream for TRU.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:47 pm

TheGoodDr wrote:The two-packs are a way of having consumers who recognise a 'superhero' character purchase a MOTU figure at the same time. Die-Hard MOTU fans buy the two packs simply to satisy the 'completist' mind. Seriously, no MOTU fan is buying the 2-packs for the DC figure! Don't for a second think the two packs are anything other than a marketing tool used by Mattel and a revenue stream for TRU.
Which would make sense if they cross promoted mattycollector, bringing more people to purchase their product, but they don't cross promote, in fact on the last 2 packs there is no mention of any other way other than the 2 packs to purchase any other motu product, which is just dumb....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:17 pm

Dabigfella wrote:
TheGoodDr wrote:The two-packs are a way of having consumers who recognise a 'superhero' character purchase a MOTU figure at the same time. Die-Hard MOTU fans buy the two packs simply to satisy the 'completist' mind. Seriously, no MOTU fan is buying the 2-packs for the DC figure! Don't for a second think the two packs are anything other than a marketing tool used by Mattel and a revenue stream for TRU.
Which would make sense if they cross promoted mattycollector, bringing more people to purchase their product, but they don't cross promote, in fact on the last 2 packs there is no mention of any other way other than the 2 packs to purchase any other motu product, which is just dumb....
Wow, I didn't know that. Shocked

That really is the height of inneptitude. pale

Exclamation The back should really have a selection of MotUC figures, and underneath, "ONLY at MattyCollector.com!"

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:01 pm

Absurd....

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:53 pm

The fact that there isn't, at the very least, a blurb at the back saying something like "See the other Masters of the Universe figures available exclusively online at mattycollector.com" frankly baffles and amazes me. I mean if these two packs aren't out there partly as a 'gateway drug' release in order to get new potential customers interested in the line and informed about it's very existence, then one has to wonder what the point really is...

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2