New Superman actor cast for Zack Snyder's Man of Steel...

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Superman actor cast for Zack Snyder's Man of Steel...

Post by The Dr Of Style on Thu May 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Looks nice.....much better than the first one which I think I fell asleep while watching.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Fri May 24, 2013 1:59 am

The Dr Of Style wrote:Looks nice.....much better than the first one which I think I fell asleep while watching.

You fell asleep while watching a trailer? This looks like they have nailed every aspect of what Superman is all about. I think he is bigger than the sum of his parts and bigger than his own "canon" backstory. I have a feeling this movie is going to destroy everything in it's path and may actually "give the people of earth an ideal to strive towards." Naive? Maybe... but I have faith... and this has given me every reason to believe. Marvel who? Surprised

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Fri May 24, 2013 9:44 am

It does look good.
But until DC do Flash, Wonder Woman and then Justice League "Make mine Marvel" :-)

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Fri May 24, 2013 1:03 pm

diabolikprime wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlOF03DUoWc

HUGE!
Damn! Shocked

I've been getting cautiously optimistic about this film in incremental degrees, but that trailer looks fantastic!

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Sat May 25, 2013 2:06 am

... missed this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

... now fly!

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Anyone catch it yet?

Saw it tonight.

Spoiler:
The start was brilliant. As I thought, the parts of his childhood were captured in flashback. Not really the type of storytelling I wanted to see.

No character development for pretty much any secondary characters. Very one dimensional in that regard, but I guess that's to be expected.

Basically, after the first 45 minutes or so, it's a giant battle scene for the remainder of the film.

I could critique more. Maybe if more thoughts want to escape. An ok film. Not a great film. 3 out of 5 for mine.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sher1888 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:12 am

Same here Jor-el and I feel the Chris Reeve version is far more superior.The rest is great. I think Cavill just needs to get more bulkier muscles as he does not stand out to me due to height and frame as CR had it.Cavill got the face of Superman.

Spoiler:
Same as you stated above and I will add more e.g. the love between Louis and Clark did not get established very well and how Jonathan Kent died is outrageous.

Last edited by sher1888 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 am; edited 3 times in total

sher1888

Number of posts : 779
Trading Status : 31
Registration date : 2011-08-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:43 am

Spoiler:
I thought it was essential for Jonathan Kent to die in the hurricane rather than a heart attack. It showed Clark how brave a simple human being can be, risking his life for others and keeping Clark's real identity a secret when Clark could have potentially saved Jonathan and everyone else thus instilling a vital "human" aspect of the man he will eventually become. The conversation in the car just before the hurricane hits really hits home, he is not his father but chooses to love him as if he were his own, he would rather die than expose Clark to the world for his risk of being outcasted, it's basically what the whole movie is about for me, the choices all men make in their lives. The story telling was quite brave aswell, not telling the same origin story in such a linear and straight forward way, finally we see things through Kal-El's eyes in flashbacks rather than an observer from the outisde looking in. The Reeves Superman was great for that particular time and place much like Burton's Batman but time has well and truly passed that by and for me it's hard to keep those rose-tinted glasses clear. Snyder's Superman isn't good for the sake of being good, he chooses to be good at the risk of being seen as an alien that no one can trust. He is not a reluctant hero or one that happens by accident, he chooses to be the hero he thinks the human race deserves. I put it on par with Batman Begins which before it came out no one really gave a chance and when it did in 2005 was equally divided among "critics" Rolling Eyes You simply either got it or you didn't as movies are quite objective to begin with. Man Of Steel wasn't perfect but then again it didn't need to be and was never going to be. The biggest gripe with Superman Returns was that there wasn't enough action, now with Man Of Steel the gripe is there is too much action and really from a director like Snyder was always going to be the case. I am really looking forward to the next installment and where they go from there. Cavill was trice the size of Reeves.

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:27 am

Saw it. Enjoyed it.

Unlike Star Trek: Into Darkness, I'm still thinking about it afterwards.

Spoiler:
Quibbles include:

- Bizarre nonsense about the codex being implanted into Kal-El by Jor-El for some unspecified reason
- Bizarre nonsense about the Kryptonian High Council wasting a space-craft to send Zod and his gang to the phantom zone instead of using that space-craft or any of their other space-craft to evacuate Krypton
- Bizarre Johnathan Kent who told Clark to let a bus full of kids die and who refused to allow Clark to save him from a tornado when Clark's abilities would have been easily hidden amongst the chaos of the tornado
- Ridiculous amount of exposition from hologram Jor-El. Everyone knows Superman's origin, it didn't need to be covered in that much detail
- Unclear Kryptonian abilities. Clark Kent was Superman because he'd been exposed to the sun for 33 years. Zod and his pals spent the vast majority of their time on their space-craft outside of direct sunlight, yet gained super-powers to equal Superman almost immediately after setting foot on Earth, even though their space-suits inconsistently protected them from some of the effects of their exposure to sunlight (i.e. they gained super-strength and speed with the helmets on, but only gained x-ray vision, super-hearing and heat vision when their helmets were broken)
- Ridiculously ineffective hologram Jor-El who took control of Zod's space-craft, yet didn't just take over the navigation and fly them all into the sun once Superman and Lois Lane were no longer on board
- Bizarre battle between Superman and a giant, robot squid for reasons which were unclear to me given that it wasn't killing anyone, yet the other machine was killing thousands of people every second, but Superman went to fight the one in the middle of nowhere first and left Lois Lane to battle the other one
- Complete disregard for the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people who died in Metropolis. Superman could have at least tried to take the fight away from the city centre
- Destruction of the "Fortress of Solitude" after Zod stole the scout-ship and Superman crashed it in Metropolis (killing even more people)
- Too much time with Perry White and Jenny Olsen given they were barely there characters
- Way too long final battle sequence, complete with shaky cam and bizarre close-ups
- Odd final showdown with Zod ineffectively using his heat vision (a neck-lock does not prevent someone from moving their eyes) and Superman ineffectively using his super-powers, such as his ability to fly himself and Zod out of the train station and away from the screaming family
- Way too many people know, or should know, that Clark Kent is Superman. If Lois Lane could figure it out from interviewing a few people, then I'm sure other investigate reporters will be able to determine his "secret identity" as well. I like Lois Lane knowing the truth, but surely even Perry White must know what is going on (otherwise, why would he even hire someone without a degree as a journalist)

Quibbles aside, it was enjoyable. I am looking forward to the sequel/s, which I hope can manage a slightly lighter tone, similar to the final scene at The Daily Planet.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Xenaphobia wrote:Saw it. Enjoyed it.

Unlike Star Trek: Into Darkness, I'm still thinking about it afterwards.

Spoiler:
Quibbles include:

- Bizarre nonsense about the codex being implanted into Kal-El by Jor-El for some unspecified reason

To ensure the survival of the unborn Kryptonians.

- Bizarre nonsense about the Kryptonian High Council wasting a space-craft to send Zod and his gang to the phantom zone instead of using that space-craft or any of their other space-craft to evacuate Krypton

Only Jor-El, Lara and Zod believed Krypton was unstable.

- Bizarre Johnathan Kent who told Clark to let a bus full of kids die and who refused to allow Clark to save him from a tornado when Clark's abilities would have been easily hidden amongst the chaos of the tornado

To ensure Kal's abilities remain secret out of fear of the general public rejecting him.

- Ridiculous amount of exposition from hologram Jor-El. Everyone knows Superman's origin, it didn't need to be covered in that much detail

The age bracket 7-18 didn't grow up with the Reeves movies, animated series or comic books.

- Unclear Kryptonian abilities. Clark Kent was Superman because he'd been exposed to the sun for 33 years. Zod and his pals spent the vast majority of their time on their space-craft outside of direct sunlight, yet gained super-powers to equal Superman almost immediately after setting foot on Earth, even though their space-suits inconsistently protected them from some of the effects of their exposure to sunlight (i.e. they gained super-strength and speed with the helmets on, but only gained x-ray vision, super-hearing and heat vision when their helmets were broken)

Zod and his minions had not adapted to Earth's atmosphere yet just as Kal-El had not adapted to Krypton's on Zod's ship. It had nothing to do with being exposed to the sun for 33 years just merely exposed. Zod explains to Lois on his ship that he can't help Kal-El as he has to "let it take it's course" to adapt. Every Kryptonian had these abilities... you see Zod in the final battle use his heat vision for the 1st time and it nearly sending him mad as he had not yet learnt to harness it properly.

- Ridiculously ineffective hologram Jor-El who took control of Zod's space-craft, yet didn't just take over the navigation and fly them all into the sun once Superman and Lois Lane were no longer on board.

His purpose wasn't to control the ship, it was to make sure the codex key got back to Earth with Lois... anyway, who's to say Zod's minions couldn't have escaped in the remaining pods available or simply jumped out and flown back to Earth.

- Bizarre battle between Superman and a giant, robot squid for reasons which were unclear to me given that it wasn't killing anyone, yet the other machine was killing thousands of people every second, but Superman went to fight the one in the middle of nowhere first and left Lois Lane to battle the other one

Because he couldn't be at both places at the same time. Lois had the codex key and the military and the military couldn't just fly over to the North Pole where as Superman could. The squid thing? Some defence mechanism I guess?

- Complete disregard for the tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people who died in Metropolis. Superman could have at least tried to take the fight away from the city centre

The "world engine" had pretty much destroyed most of Metropolis well before the final battle. The fight is seen taken above Earth on a satellite and then back to Metropolis again. Superman didn't disregard the population as Zod and the "world engine" had pretty much killed the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of people on it's own. I realize the final battle was over the top but what exactly was Superman meant to do? Zod at that point thought Kal-El had chosen Earth's population over the potential new Kryptonian one. Zod when fighting didn't care if humans got in the way, Superman just did what needed to be done. If we are assuming that 100's of 1000's are killed why not assume that a lot of them were evacuated by the military?

- Destruction of the "Fortress of Solitude" after Zod stole the scout-ship and Superman crashed it in Metropolis (killing even more people)

There was no Fortress Of Solitude, it was just the scout ship that resided on Earth 18,000 years ago. No people were seen getting killed by the ship... see answer above.

- Too much time with Perry White and Jenny Olsen given they were barely there characters

Geez... we had to some "human" reaction on a ground level other than just Lois and the military.

- Way too long final battle sequence, complete with shaky cam and bizarre close-ups

To each their own.

- Odd final showdown with Zod ineffectively using his heat vision (a neck-lock does not prevent someone from moving their eyes) and Superman ineffectively using his super-powers, such as his ability to fly himself and Zod out of the train station and away from the screaming family

Considering Zod had not yet harnessed this power properly it's fair to assume he couldn't move his eyes. Is it some rule in Superman lore that you can move your eyes around willy-nilly whilst using heat vision?

- Way too many people know, or should know, that Clark Kent is Superman. If Lois Lane could figure it out from interviewing a few people, then I'm sure other investigate reporters will be able to determine his "secret identity" as well. I like Lois Lane knowing the truth, but surely even Perry White must know what is going on (otherwise, why would he even hire someone without a degree as a journalist)

Lois Lane had to interview not just a few people but basically everyone who ever came in contact with him i.e. former employers, school friends, eye witnesses and "work her way back" until she arrived at the Kent farm in Kansas.
There is a knowing look from Perry when he introduces Clark to everyone, I'm sure he does know because you are right, why would he hire someone without a degree in journalism.

Quibbles? That's a laundry list dude. See the movie again and see if it makes more sense.

Quibbles aside, it was enjoyable. I am looking forward to the sequel/s, which I hope can manage a slightly lighter tone, similar to the final scene at The Daily Planet.

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RhiGhost on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:58 pm

I was so excited for this movie and then so disappointed Sad

RhiGhost

Number of posts : 170
Trading Status : 5
Registration date : 2012-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:10 pm

@ diabolikprime

LOL. They were just quibbles.

But, thanks for taking the time to address them all. I respectfully disagree with quite a few of your responses. And as I noted, quibbles aside, I did enjoy the film.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1326
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:38 am

No problem. Smile 

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top