2010 OzFigurama Toy Awards - WINNERS ON PAGE 2

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2010 OzFigurama Toy Awards - WINNERS ON PAGE 2

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:59 pm

DroothR wrote:
DroothR wrote:I'll submit mine this Thursday night. Smile
...and by "Thursday", I of course mean Friday.

Embarassed

Yeah, um, me too... Laughing

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 am

One last kick for final votes. Last day is today.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 pm

sent (yes, finally)

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Finally voted!

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:35 pm

2010. It’s over. Some may be thankful of that fact. Some may want to relive the past 365 days (it wasn’t a leap year, was it?). But many, if not most, are looking forward to the current year that is 2011. Still, it is time to not only look forward, but to look back on the last year and not allow it to become muddled and lost amongst the past. It is time to reflect on what we have loved and loathed in what was another great year in collecting what we all love – some call them action figures, some call them adult collectables – but we simply only need to refer to them as toys.

I won’t mull over the history of past voting results, but for the record this is the 4th occasion in which these awards have been conducted. You can, if interested, read last year’s run down here. Voting turnout was about the same as last year, with 11 voters having their say. I can’t say I didn’t wish there weren’t more, as I’ve had to get creative (and yet remain fair) to make decisions on some of the categories. Fortunately, the winner in each field was clear cut, but as I also include second and third place getters, I’ve had to use a somewhat impartial system to reduce a 10 way tie to something more decisive. I hope that my approach reflects no bias, and that you can accept the decisions made to get the results.

However, I do thank all of you who have voted, and those who are now reading the outcome. It is appreciated and hopefully there will be inspiration enough for more to take part in future awards. I have to say, in an overview, there were some surprises, but plenty of predictable outcomes. I had an absolute blast collating the votes (and with more votes I could have had even more fun! *wink*). And I have enjoyed doing up a graphical final vote summary (even with my limited Photoshop skills... by the way, if anyone can teach me how to turn something into gold, PM me!). In the time I have done this, I have had some assistance in the past, so if anyone is at all in interested in getting involved in organising the 2011 awards, I’m very much open to some help.

Enough of my blabbering. Please read on and discover what OzFigurama voted as the best toys of the year that was 2010.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This category is for any figure based on a real person, whether it be from film, television, sport, music, or any other field a toy company may base a toy on. The field was extremely tight, with 26 different figures receiving votes. It wasn’t until the last votes were counted that we saw the winner.

WINNER: Terminator 2 T-800 (Hot Toys)

Last year, we saw tied winners which included the Terminator 2 Pescadero Escape T-800 released by NECA. This year, Arnie returns with the same character, but on a larger scale to narrowly take out this award.

Featuring an amazing sculpt, iconic outfit and a number of accessories (including a box of roses to hide his shotgun), this is one fairly definitive version of a character that spanned 3 films (although you could argue it was a different character each time) and inspired further film and TV spin offs.

We should have listened last year. I could have sworn he said, “I’ll be back.”

Ok, bad joke.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – DX03 Michael Jackson, Bad Version (Hot Toys); 3rd place - Ghostbusters Peter Venkman, unslimed with proton stream (Mattel)

Michael Jackson from the “Bad” music video was the surprise for second place in this category, although, as with many Hot Toys figures, the likeness is outstanding. After an underwhelming initial release of a slimed Peter Venkman, Mattel redeemed themselves with a much better second version of the doctor of parapsychology and psychology.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Upon reflection, I’m surprised I have not included such a category sooner. Larger scale items, while impressive and very much stand out, somehow seem to slip the memory in favour of regular action figures. To remedy this, 2010 has seen a variety of large scale items, whether they be beasts, vehicles or playsets, and they will be honoured for the very first time with this award.

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Battle Cat (Mattel)

While it probably comes as no surprise as to who won, there wasn’t a lot separating the top three in this category. But who couldn’t love the amazing size, articulation and sculpt offered by He-Man’s favourite mode of transportation?

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Star Wars Empire Strikes Back AT-AT (Hasbro); 3rd place – Masters of the Universe Tytus (Mattel)

While Battle Cat was a slight favourite and always seemed to be ahead in the vote, the massive Star Wars AT-AT and the first outside-of-Europe release of Tytus saw an epic slug out for second place. In the end, the AT-AT just edged out the ancient Eternian giant.

Any created character not portrayed by a real person can be honoured with this award. Whether they be from a cartoon, a comic, a video game, a computer animated production or based on simple artwork, this is the category in which they can be further immortalised. While the winner received the most votes in their own right, the placegetters came down to judge’s decision to separate them from a massive pack.

WINNER: Player Select Bioshock 2 Big Sister (NECA)

For the second year in a row, NECA’s Player Select line has produced a winner in this line, with Big Sister from Bioshock 2 narrowly beating a very even field. The sculpt is very detailed and a credit to NECA in a line that has produced many a great version of our favourite gaming characters. However, in taking out this award, Big Sister has produced perhaps a massive upset in edging the field, particularly the one judged as 2nd place.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Masters of the Universe Classics Battle Cat (Mattel); 3rd place – Masters of the Universe Classics Tytus (Mattel)

It was quite astounding that so little votes went Battle Cat’s way in this category, but tastes seemed to vary and perhaps more consideration was given by voters towards figures based on familiar art. With such a varied field, Battle Cat and Tytus were chosen, given their performance in the Large Scale category.

Collectable items have come a long way in recent years, and the companies who produce high quality and high cost items are no longer just a niche but perhaps now the trendsetters that mass producing companies are taking note from. We have been blessed with some amazing releases in recent times, and for those who can afford it, a home can soon become monument to various popular culture icons. Whether it is a replica, a statue, a diorama or an action figure with unbelievable quality attached to it, these pieces are fast reaching Grail-like status amongst collectors.

WINNER: Inglorious Basterds Aldo Raine (Hot Toys)

Hot Toys have really captured the ascendency in the 12 inch collector figure market, with releases that not only bear sculpts that can make you swear they have simply shrunk down the person who has portrayed the character they have licensed, but also accessories and clothing that has previously been out of place in such a scale. Last year, the DX-01 Joker took out this award (along with the top gong). This year, Hot Toys have upped the stakes in capturing the look of their subject.
The Aldo Raines sixth scale figure is not only mind blowing with the face sculpt of actor Brad Pitt, but the texture and detail of the skin just brings it to life. It is hard to see how likeness can get any better than this, but I’m sure that the team at Hot Toys will continue to impress and improve. And as much as Aldo likes killing Nazis, we sure like the product Hot Toys comes out with (even if our wallets argue otherwise).

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Iron Man 2 War Machine (Hot Toys); 3rd place - Terminator 2 T-800 (Hot Toys)

In War Machine, we have been given an amazing likeness of the mechanical suit worn by James Rhodes, with tremendous details of the intricacies on the bulkier-than-Iron-Man outfit that really bring it to life. It is strange, however, that the T-800 received less votes in this section compared to its winning effort in the Reality-based award, however perhaps this is due to the overall perception. While it is an amazing likeness of a well-known character and person, perhaps it just didn’t have the overall power to justify its worth as a high end piece? Or maybe I’m just speculating too much. In any case, Hot Toys has dominated this category, with another 7 releases receiving votes.

Ok, so we love them. We love to hate them. These are the companies that fuel our desire, raise our ire, and send our dreams into a pyre. And the organisations that placed in this award should be those that have produced more of the desirable in 2010 than the deplorable.

WINNER: Mattel

It’s back-to-back wins for the boys and girls at Mattel. And it’s not hard to see why. Two of the most collectable lines are Masters of the Universe Classics and DC Universe Classics, and they have enabled Mattel to once again run away with this award. Throw in the odd Ghostbusters line, JLU figures, and they now even have a grip on WWE’s muscular meatheads (the wrestlers, not the fans!), and Mattel will has shown its diversity and quality, for the most part, to be the best company of 2010. And with continued production of the lines listed, along with the licence for a film containing a certain time travelling DeLorean, this is fast becoming a golden era for Mattel.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Hot Toys; 3rd place – Hasbro[/size]

I’d like to say it was a close race. But... it wasn’t. While Hot Toys was a clear second in this category, they were well behind Mattel’s dominance. Hasbro slipped into third, mainly on the back of their staples in Transformers and Star Wars. I should mention Sideshow came very close to placing here, but perhaps suffer from being surpassed by Hot Toys in recent years.

In the three previous counts we’ve only ever had two winners. Marvel Legends, of course, was the dominator back in 2005 and 2006, while Masters of the Universe Classics romped it in last year. Can they do it again? I won’t drag it on; because you can probably guess that it’s pretty obvious...

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics (Mattel)

Once again destroying the competition is Mattel’s Masters of the Universe Classics. They continue to produce the in-demand regular toy product, with their online store going into a virtual meltdown in a monthly frenzy. Of course, it helps to have one of the most revered childhood cultural memories to draw on to make the fan boys and fan girls froth at the mouth. And it helps that Mattel created one of the most revered childhood... ok, ok. Figures are good. We want. Enough said.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – DC Universe Classics (Mattel); 3rd place – Movie Masterpiece (Hot Toys)

Dusting themselves off from the cloud of smoke the first place finisher has created, these two lines are perhaps on differing paths. DC Universe Classics took over where Marvel Legends left off, but has perhaps been eclipsed by He-Man and his friends, and with so many characters already released, there may be some burnout ahead. Hot Toys’ Movie Masterpiece line is more or less a banner for most of their releases, but they are so damn good. Price point alone is probably stopping this line from truly dominating the collectable scene.

Roll out the red carpet for the next member of royalty. First, it was the Marvel Legends build-a-figure Sentinel that wore the crown, then it was the Transformers Masterpiece Convoy that reigned supreme. Last year saw The Dark Knight DX-01 Joker takeover the mantle as the best toy. This year, a new champion will be crowned to join those mentioned as the Toy of the Year.

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics Battle Cat (Mattel)

Was there ever any doubt? Well, actually, there was! This wasn’t as clear cut as expected, with no less than 26 different toys nominated. But, still, Battle Cat reigned supreme, and it there is little question as to why. Remember the original Battle Cat? It was cool, but it was hollow and one piece, with a saddle and helmet that really made the figure what it was. But this newer version is something to behold. Solid as a rock, amazing sculpt, to scale with the regular figures, and, probably most importantly, articulation that actually allows for as many poses as your imagination can allow. He was the most anticipated toy in the 2009 awards, and a much deserving winner as your OzFigurama Toy of the Year for 2010.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Masters of the Universe Classics Trap Jaw; 3rd place - Player Select Bioshock 2 Big Sister (NECA)

Trap Jaw seemed somewhat forgotten in this award, but managed to be the clear second favourite amongst voters. There was an 8-way tie for third spot, however judge’s decision has awarded it to Big Sister from Bioshock 2, given she took out the Art-Based award.

Now it’s my chance to decide upon who came up with the best custom award for 2010.

WINNER: Biggest Surprise of the Year: LEGO Minifigures (submitted by DroothR)

I felt this award was a worthy winner of the Custom Award. These minifigures have generated quite a bit of buzz on the boards and no one really saw that coming. I should mention that Artistix also submitted an award for LEGO Minifigures being the best little figures, but DroothR certainly captured a good summation of the feeling generated by these minifigures.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - Most dementedly photogenic – MOTUC Trap Jaw (submitted by simmo); 3rd place - Best Line Making Use of Only One "Character" - Hot Toys Michael Jackson (submitted by TheSweetestThing)

Trap Jaw deserves some more loving, and he certainly looks cool and evil in pretty much every picture taken of him. Of his look, simmo has commented, “He’ll dress your puppy in a skirt and bonnet before blending that puppy and serving it up as a smoothie.” Nice imagery there.

TheSweetestThing also came up with another good award that fits the custom spirit. I should add that if the NECA T2 line didn’t branch out with some T-1000 figures, then Michael would have had a fight on his hands. Razz

But if you don’t agree with my selections, here are the other board member submissions (in no particular order):
- Worst Movie Based Figures – The A Team (submitted by Diabolik Prime)
- Toys you can never seem to find on the shelf award: Transformers Generations (submitted by Gevaudin)
- Best little figures line - Lego Minifigures (submitted by Artistix)
- Toys with the highest amount of “Oh my god, it’s like I’m 8 again at Christmas opening _____ and _____ ,oh stuff it I’m buying them all now” factor (or nostalgia for the non geeky): Mattel Masters of the Universe Classics (submitted by DaBigfella)
- Is it considered bestiality when you want to make love to a toy animal?: Winner – Battle Cat (submitted by Jor-El)
- No matter how cool it is someone’s always gotta bitch about something award: Awarded to toy fans online all over the world (submitted by The Dr of Style)
- Most forgettable toy (or what were they thinking) too bad DCUC wave 17 wasn't released this year (submitted by NiteOwl)

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics

Last year, it was Mattel in general that provided the joy. This year, we’ve nailed it to one of their lines specifically. If Marvel Legends were the toys that revolutionised action figures, and McFarlane Toys demanded better sculpt in their products that shaped an industry, then Masters of the Universe Classics are the next generation that are pushing it further. Tremendous sculpts from the Four Horsemen, coupled with now an expected standard of articulation; these toys continue to make us happier and happier. Has the bubble burst? Not yet, perhaps, so there may be plenty more joy to be had in 2011.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Battle Cat; 3rd place – Michael Jackson Bad

Battle Cat had to settle for second place in his solo performance to the team effort displayed by his entire crew to win this award. While Michael Jackson continues to make people happy from beyond the grave. At least they’re not children (c’mon, someone had to say it!).

WINNER: Mattycollector.com

Ok, game plan – set alarm for early hours of the morning. Check. Make sure I’m logged in at about quarter to the hour. Check. Have my credit card on hand to double check the details. Check. Multiple browsers open because surely the 6th one will be the one that works. Check. The clock is about to hit the hour... time to refresh... oh, m*%@^@ f&@^@#! Anyone who has ordered from this website has surely experienced this pain. It was there before, but in 2010 it just seemed to hurt even more. Lightning fast sell-outs, lock-it-in-Eddie subscriptions, no way to combine shipping unless you order at the exact moment Jupiter aligns with Mars... not to mention some smug bastard of a mascot you just want to inflict unspeakable pain upon. Sure, it’s getting better. So hopefully, this time next year we’ll award this to something else. Does anyone else have their doubts?

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Absence of Marvel Legends; 3rd place – Hot Toys prices

It pains us all. Marvel Legends was an amazing line. And Hot Toys, while amazing a product they make, just seem so out of reach to buy in great number.

WINNER: Masters of the Universe Classics

Is there anything else to look forward to? Maybe, but we’re gearing up for what looks to be another stellar year of Masters figures. Can I really say any more than what has been said about this line?

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place – Hot Toys Christopher Reeve Superman; 3rd place –Thundercats

We haven’t seen pictures of any of this stuff yet, but we’re already anticipating it. Hot Toys may very well produce the definitive version of Superman by having a Christopher Reeve likeness, while Thundercats is already arousing our nostalgia bones in a very He-Man-like fashion.

These awards are for things you will probably never see in action figure form, so why not dream it once a year here?

WINNER: Hoy Toys Tiger Woods “Rock out with my cock out” limited edition action figure & motel room playset – comes with at least 16 close female friends... that we know of (submitted by The Dr of Style)

He’s not the Masters Champion; he’s a very naughty boy. I could go on, long and hard, about hole-in-one action features, accessories to get out of the rough, articulation that will allow for a double-bogey, but I won’t stoop to lurid euphemisms that belittle what could very well be the greatest golfer of all-time. Just as long as no one mentions the back nine.

RUNNERS-UP: 2nd place - OzFigurama action figures with the whole cast! (submitted by DaBigFella); 3rd place - Set Of Figures Based on The HBO Series "Oz" (submitted by Diabolik Prime)

Who wouldn’t love an action figure of themself? Well, I probably wouldn’t, but it would be a good substitute for my son to beat up instead of me. And I had to select “Oz”, if purely for the fact that I can rekindle last year’s L-Word joke – Will they include action features? Yeah, you got it.

And the other board member’s submissions, in case you didn’t like my selections:
- 1:6 Henry Rollins Figure w/ "Liar" video clip Costume (submitted by Diabolik Prime)
- "Prey for Rock and Roll" figures would be pretty sweet. Gina Gershon, Lori Petty and co. all punked out (submitted by TheSweetestThing)
- Julia Gillard – “by the skin of my teeth” Prime Minister Edition DOLL – comes with 8 different shades of removable hair, special forehead botox action feature – owner will need to re-apply every 3 months, and voice box which continually says everyone’s favourite spin line of “Moving Forward”-warning parents this feature does not have an off switch (submitted by The Dr of Style)
- Hot Toys: Movie Masterpiece - Hulk (Either Movie) (submitted by Diabolik Prime)
- Inception action figures - Okay, so clearly I just want little plastic figurines of Leonardo Dicaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and more importantly, Ellen Page. But the thing is, (I think) I forgot to vote for "Whip It" figures in the poll (submitted by TheSweetestThing)
- Blade Runner figures in 6 inch scale (submitted by NiteOwl... and I’m seriously surprised no one has made these by now)
- More music-based figures based on my favourite bands – I need Ray, Robby and John from The Doors, as well as Foo Fighters action figures (submitted by Jor-El)
- How I Met Your Mother action figures, with variants for the “Doppleganger” characters (moustache Marshall, stripper Lily, etc) (submitted by simmo... worth it only for the NPH figure, so I’d rather a Harold & Kumar line)
- I also want action figures of some of my favourite music artists. Most importantly, Roisin Murphy - followed by Florence Welch. Pleeeeeeaaaaase?! (submitted by TheSweetestThing)
- Charlies Angels - vintage & current action figures. Farrah Fawcett & Demi Moore, Jacqueline Smith & Lucy Liu etc...awesome (submitted by Artistix)
- Battle Smurfs (think Kung-Zhus, crossed with Kratos and Battle Beasts... but Smurfy! (submitted by Gevaudin and his Smurfy fetish)

And that’s a wrap folks. Mattel, for better or worse, pretty much dominated as expected. But there were still some surprises, and every vote was important. Some seriously tight struggles were decided by down to the wire votes.
Thanks for reading. Thanks for voting. Hopefully this inspires more to get involved in the 2011 awards. Any ideas on how to improve this, I’m open to. Please continue the discussion following this post. I look forward to reading your opinions.
Catch you on the boards.
- Jor-El

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:35 am

Nice work Jor, thanks for putting it all together!

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 am

Cheers Joel.

Not too many surprises. MOTUC leads the way.

I'd buy Tiger Woods & his ho train! thumbs up 2

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:38 am

great work again Jor-el & thanks.... I think the winners are all pretty good.

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:47 am

Great job Jor-El! Very interesting and fun to read. Very Happy

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:05 am

Yep good work again, and Motuc runs away with it again!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:09 pm

I'm actually quite surprised about the MJ stuff, I thought I was the only one that dug it haha!
Great stuff all around, I forgot how much I enjoyed reading all of this stuff - cheers, Jor-El for all your efforts!

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 am

Great work, Jor-El... as always. Very Happy

(Also, my Smurf idea would totally sell).

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Excellent work!

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43