How do people react/perceive your collecting of figures?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

73% 73% 
[ 8 ]
27% 27% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 11

Post by Aussie.Mike on Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:36 pm

I was wondering how do people react/perceive your collecting of figures/statues?
Is it welcomed or frowned upon by family/friends/acquaintances?

People has always been positive towards my collection, maybe because I do art/drawings/photography?
Where as I know other people who tell me it is frowned upon, basically where it's looked upon as childish which is strange to me. confused
I'm not talking about kids/youths either, I'm talking about collectors in their late 20's to mid 30's.

I find the whole concept that people could have an aversion to it redundant.
So basically I just wanted to know how it is viewed across the board, to see if you guys have positive or negative reactions.

Aussie.Mike

Number of posts : 25
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2010-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do people react/perceive your collecting of figures?

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:34 am

Great idea for a poll Mike! People usually just stand in my room with their mouths open for a while, then ask the typical question..... Why?!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:30 am

Dabigfella wrote:Great idea for a poll Mike! People usually just stand in my room with their mouths open for a while, then ask the typical question..... Why?!!!

Exactly the same.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:24 am

My mum use to give me a hard time about it until I pointed out that she was the cause of it all. Not the collecting Action figures but collecting in general. She started me on Stamps and my brother on coins it just ballooned from there.

Stamps to Comics to Trading Cards to Action Figures to Japanese Stuff to Video Games to Arcade/Pinball Games. Natural progression I think.

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:47 am

I've never had any negative reactions to it, because I wouldn't go talking about my personal life to anyone who isn't a friend, and anyone who is a friend of mine has to be open-minded, and thus will not have anything negative to say on it.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:30 am

My Dad hates it. My partner is indifferent. My friends think it's kinda cool that I have stuck with collecting for so long and managed to not open any of the packets!
It's no big deal anyways, I like collecting action figures, I mean how could you not? Besides I told my partner when we are about 55 I will sell the lot and use it for retirement... That's what I told her anyways. Wink

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:10 am

I'd say 90% positive and often shocked with maybe 10% of close-minded, Home and Away watching retards not understanding it.

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 am

this was tricky for me as most of my friends are collectors themselves so they would obviously be positive, if i took them out of the equation though I'd say the majority of responses would be negative (this is including the regular "ok that's kind of weird" response) my partner is supportive and I figure if anyone sees it as a negative thing is being a bit ignorant.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 am

Collecting figures is a lot like watching wrestling. You either get it or you don't. I appreciate the awesome athleticism and hard work wrestlers put in to their matches. I love all the gimmicks, characters, bad acting, ridiculous plotlines... I love it all! As soon as people find out you watch/like professional wrestling you hear the usual complaints (childish, fake, violent).
I like watching wrestling the same way I love collecting figures, I appreciate the sculpts, paint jobs, variants, EVERYTHING!
It's funny that in general most people who disapprove of collecting are the same who DO watch crap like Neighbours, Two & A Half Men and the like.
I mean... what does that tell you?! I think it's weird NOT too appreciate someone's collection of anything. I have a friend that collects old "My Little Pony" and "Glow Worms" figurines. Not my cup of tea but it's still pretty awesome, especially 34 Glow Worms when the lights go out.
I'd rather collect figures than collect friends on Facebook.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 am

Anyone seen Dodgeball? The seemingly-normal love interest from that film turns out to have an insane unicorn obsession. I think that movie pretty accurately reflects real life: everyone's got some kind of "oddity" or "quirk" or whatever, and that's not a bad thing - our is just toys. Better than having a drug habit!

As for me, everything I do is weird, so no one's really surprised

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:55 am

To me, collecting anything is just a part of who someone is, whether it be pop culture based figures and statues, car stuff, sports related gear, shoes, movies, music, beer cans, or whatever else, so I've always been pretty secure in the fact that this is just a part of who I am, and people can either accept it or not, that's pretty much down to them, and not something I have any real control over anyway.

That said, I neither advertise being a collector, nor do I hide being one. It's a part of who I am, but it's not just who I am, so if it comes up, then it comes up, if it doesn't, then it doesn't. If someone comes to the house then they automatically see part of the collection because there it is, just walking in through the door for all the world to see right there in the living room. Other people who I've known for years likely wouldn't have a clue, depending on just how well they've bothered to actually get to know me.

What amazes me is that most people collect something, or are passionate about something, and yet most of the negative experiences I've had from people have been from people who you'd think would have a more open mind, because they are avid collectors themselves...even if they don't see themselves or classify themselves as such. I mean I had a relative once who called my collection childish and stupid and a waste of good money right to my face and in my own home, and yet this woman has something like 200 ceramic frogs in her lounge room. And the hypocrisy of her insults never even remotely dawned on her. And yet I've never once insulted her tastes or collecting habbits, even though I don't personally see the appeal, because I accept that's just part of who she is. Not to mention the fact that doing so I just find rather disrespectful to begin with, even more so if you are a guest in someone's home.

On the flip side, my father, a musician, completely accepts my collection. Some of the stuff he quite likes, a fair amount I'm sure he's indifferent to, but he at least makes the effort to take an interest, because he knows I've been a collector all my life, and that's a part of who I am, and he respects that. Besides, it's a fair trade, as I take an equal interest in whatever latest piece of gear he has picked up, be it a new guitar, an amp, effects pedal or whatever. Hell, it's probably his fault as much as anyone's that I became a collector anyhow... Laughing

At the end of the day I collect this stuff because I personally like it, because it's a visual and aesthetic stimulant and a reflection of my tastes (or lack thereof... Razz) and the things that appeal to me and are a part of who I am. And, because frankly, most of life is pretty grey, and this stuff for me breaks down some of that. If someone doesn't, or won't, get that then that's fine. I have nothing to prove, and I don't have the expectations that other people will 'get' the what or why of my own collecting habbits. All I expect is a little decorum really. It's the old adage, you don't have to share someone's tastes or beliefs, you just have to respect their rights to have them.

Again, it's like the 200 ceramic frogs, I don't know why she collects them, but I'm sure there's a story behind them, and a reason why, and they obviously mean something to her. Just as I know she has her favourites, and could probably tell me where each one came from, or from whom. Likewise, many of the pieces, particularly the large scale pieces, have a story and a personal connection for me as to just why I own them. Some are as simple as loving a particular character or movie, others, such as the Code 3 Millennium Falcon, remind me of my earliest childhood memory of my father taking me to see the original Star Wars when I was about 5, which I can still recall vividly. In some ways it's like an artistic photo album in that way, at least with certain pieces. A reflection and visual spark of ones memories and passions created in resin and plastic. If someone can't understand why, then that reason alone, even if it doesn't cover anything, should be enough for them to at least partially 'get' it, enough to respect such a pursuit, even if they don't quite share or fully understand it...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussie.Mike on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:13 pm

^^^ WOW sledge, incredible answer.
Thanks for sharing your view/s, it's very much appreciated. Very Happy
I like your take on things. Very down to earth.

Same goes for everyone else, thanks. Smile

Aussie.Mike

Number of posts : 25
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2010-10-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mse6 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:32 pm

I think it depends upon how it is also presented.
A huge pile of toys scattered about an adults house is unusual.
An organised display is more accepted.

mse6
Technical Admin

Number of posts : 273
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mousedroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:49 pm

The reactions I get are normally pretty positive. I try to display my figures "nicely" so they look quite cool when people see them. They're also displayed in a semi-classy way behind glass so I guess that makes them look a little more respectable/adult/collectable.

I've also found that pretty much everyone collects something. My partner collects video games (mostly new, but a few classics). My mum collects pottery from Mexico. I have a friend who collects Brisbane Broncos memorabilia. Another friend who collects a wide variety of stuff from anything to do with "Gone with the Wind" to stuff about "Alexander the Great" to stuffed animals. Another friend who collects WW2 memorabilia. Heck, even my friends who don't "collect" anything will admit to have a larger than normal "collection" of shoes or ties or handbags or whatever their personal fancy is.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Inside my immediate family, it's not exactly out of the ordinary.
My Mum collects ceramics (old school dinner sets and the like) and my Dad collects 1:43 scale Biante & Carlectable cars.
My sister is the 'odd one out' so to speak as she doesn't collect anything.

As for everyone else...well they're fine. I've had a few people laugh, but they weren't really anybody I've ever given a crap about anyway. In fact, one of them laughed because I collected Clone Troopers. Action figures, not a problem. But specifically a Star Wars thing? Let's laugh at the nerd.

The rest of my friends are nerds anyway so they don't care - they all collect video games or files or computer gear.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:55 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top