MOTU Classics: The Thread - Part 3

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: MOTU Classics: The Thread - Part 3

Post by Sam on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:06 pm

It would be cool if new head types are released in the future as well!

Sam
Good trader, better whinger

Number of posts : 1231
Trading Status : 1000
Registration date : 2008-10-31

View user profile http://samscustomz.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:01 pm

I wouldn't mind some female palace guards at some point personally, but maybe that would take away from the uniqueness of Teela a little bit...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Shocka wrote:I've been Mattied! They can't cancel my duplicate order so I'm stuck with two extra sets of Palace Guards. Anyone local after these? Assuming you haven't already bought them, they're still available on the Matty Collector store Razz

I'll grab a spare set. Funds are a little tight (don't get paid until the 28th) so I had to skip the sale. Obviously skip me if someone else is interested and has the cash now .

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 am

oo, female guards would be cool now u mention it, and hey, who says teela cant have some backup girlpower, TTS, the 'teela task squad or something' lol. Im thinking along the lines of the "Dolls' from Street Fighter M. Bison's, different nationalities in similar costumes, very cool I thought =-)

I got the shipping notice too, definatly a record for it ! perhaps its because they didnt' sell out that they organised them quicker?

I was reading that Vikor has an impressive QC, and that his ankles are better quality and tighter, and that the neck isn't quite the same being attached into the body not with a ball /socket but a ring and peg? Kinda weird?

I really thought the guards would be a sell out though, bit surprised there.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:55 am

I'm very surprised to hear the guards are still available. It's a little worrying knowing Mattel are unhappy with any figures that last more than a few hours.

As for female Guards, that would be cool. Not sure I can think of any at the moment...Aside from the likes of Teela & She-Ra, nearly all warriors seemed to be men. I'm happy to see them in toy form regardless.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 am

Could it be that the shine has worn off a bit? The US economy aint exactly on the up and up.....and I guess as a result people are becoming more picky. I think Mattel might need to re-evaluate the planned releases beyond what has already been announced because I suspect the more the deviate away from CORE MOTU characters the fewer units they will move.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Not sure about shine wearing off as such, they seem to be super popular and much love is had for them, and not sure if the ecomony would be stopping them, but i reckon ur right about the non core characters making it a more pick and choose scenario.

I would leap on the idea of 'heres the list for the planned releases for next 12 mths/2 years, pay up front or deposit or whatever to lock in ' would love that.

but alas....

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:58 am

And the guards and stands are in the country, this ultra quick shipping is awesome!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:16 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Could it be that the shine has worn off a bit? The US economy aint exactly on the up and up.....and I guess as a result people are becoming more picky. I think Mattel might need to re-evaluate the planned releases beyond what has already been announced because I suspect the more the deviate away from CORE MOTU characters the fewer units they will move.

I can't see this line getting to 2017. Maybe 2014.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:27 pm

I've said the same thing before. Regardless of what Matty's best case scenario plans right now may be, and what the roadmap they may have made for such may say, I just don't see them sticking by the line for that long, because I don't see a big enough percentage of fans and collectors sticking by it for that long, except for the truly hardcore. And hardcore collectors alone can't keep a line going. They've done well so far and no doubt, but hype and sales just naturally diminish over time, that's just a natural fact of collector product lines, and when it does a lot of collectors just bleed away over time, or get more and more picky, and fewer new collectors take their place.

And if sales start dropping to consistently lower levels then they may well burn on fumes for a year or so, but I have little doubt that Matty will cut it loose if they don't see enough profit in it, or if someone gets a bright idea of doing yet another reboot at some point, as part of a license push and attention/hype builder.

So yeah, call me cynical, but I just can't picture the line maintaining sales momentum for another 7 years, no matter how good it is, or how popular it continues to be right now. Almost every great and popular line eventually burns out after a few years and either gets rebooted, retired or majorly rejigged, so as much as I hope to be proven wrong, I just can't see MOTUC being any different to be honest.

I can certainly see it lasting another three years or so, perhaps if we're lucky even four, but I'd be seriously amazed at any longer than that, and not all that surprised if it even ended up being slightly less.

Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

Last edited by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

diabolikprime wrote:
TheGoodDr wrote:Could it be that the shine has worn off a bit? The US economy aint exactly on the up and up.....and I guess as a result people are becoming more picky. I think Mattel might need to re-evaluate the planned releases beyond what has already been announced because I suspect the more the deviate away from CORE MOTU characters the fewer units they will move.

I can't see this line getting to 2017. Maybe 2014.
I disagree, in 2001 they re-released he-man and that line lasted till 2006 at full retail, 5 years for a line mattel considers a failure. The orig line lasted from 81 until 87 at full retail, lasting 6 years with the last 3 years considered a failure. For this current line, there is no issue with retailers losing interest, and with the small budget motuc gets, and the sub outselling itself every year, I'd say 6 or 7 years is easily achievable, taking the line to 2016-2017...

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Yes, I hope u are wrong, but Im kinda thinking of Sota Street fighter figures while I was reading that, basically it was something everyone was loving, and it just.... waned.

There were a lot of fans it seems who wanted their line to continue, I Know I did, especially the darkstalker branching, but it just burned out.

I kinda wish I could get the core characters now based on that line of thought, becuase Im sick of large investment lines cutting short ie Marvel legends, Sf2, TMNT Neca etc etc.

End rant.
for now =-)

Jealous of ur shipping time Guard horder DBF!

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah but DBF, this line has no retail interest.....so when the collector interest wanes (or as is the case in the US you have a population where 10% of the people are unemployed and toys become a luxury) this line will suffer.
By changing the sub this year to INCLUDE EVERY MOTU release seems to me that Mattel are aware of collector interest waning.....I think this is more than demonstrated with the Palace Guards not selling out. People are obviously NOT buying these in the droves that Mattel were expecting.
So in the future when we see a toy sell out in record time, I would suggest we're seeing a reduction in the production numbers (over and above the sub) and not necessarily improved interest in the line.
I have no doubt chore characters will move like hot cakes, but you really only have to look at this own thread to see the numbers of people simply not giving a rats about certain figures already announced for 2011.
2001 to 2006 = 5years
1981 to 1987 = 6years
This line has already been going for 3 years (now into its fourth). Seems to me MOTU has legs on average for about five to six years. With no movie, tv show or any other marketing aspect, when current collectors start drawing the line about what they want to buy, the line needs a rethink in terms of marketing strategy (which is why we're seeing re-issues). As I said to Jor-El today, when you start re-issuing, you hurt those who buy multiples to onsell. I know, I know, we all hate scalpers, but at the end of the day they exist to satsify a market. So if scalpers aren't buying large QTYs to onsell then you're relying on more NEW people to buy from your dreaded online store. And the more NEW people who become disenchanted with the ordering process, or being forced into a sub for figures they don't want, what do you reckon is going to happen?

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Yep, that's my belief too. Remember how huge Marvel Legends was? Or Movie Maniacs? But people lose interest, or get impatient when they don't get what they're waiting for after a certain amount of time, casual fans move on, or start collecting something else, or their life priorities simply change, other lines rise up and take center stage and generate all the hype and attention and media/online buzz. The amount of new collectors joining the line doesn't replace the ones no longer collecting. Companies try to push too much product while the iron is hot and certain collectors get burnt out or can't keep up and become discouraged. Financial factors come into play, as does quality control and ease of getting product to begin with. Management and corporate priorities alter. Things change. Happens all the time.

Most of the truly hardcore fans and collectors will always endure, because they are hardcore about their love for the line and characters, but the hardcore contingent alone doesn't keep any line alive for long, as has been proven again and again over the years.

Enjoy it while it lasts, as the future is never guaranteed, that's my motto.

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:34 pm

By the way, if anyone missed him and is interested, the second shipment of Vikor goes on sale on the 24th according to Matty.

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:35 pm

One thing that is different for this line is the monthly releases. This might assist in generating continuing interest while other lines are released in waves and there can be months and months between new releases, which in turn can cause interest to drop off.

Still, it's hard to imagine the line running until 2017.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm going to remain positive for my enjoyment of this line, as I haven't experienced the bad ordering and I think we'll see this line go at least 5 years, it's been 2 years(not counting the 4 months from Grayskull to He-man) so another at least 3 good years of motuc ahead....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:46 am

No harm in staying positive, just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. And that should be a fair while yet, by anyone's calculations... Smile

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:50 am

TheGoodDr wrote:By changing the sub this year to INCLUDE EVERY MOTU release seems to me that Mattel are aware of collector interest waning.....
Actually, Mattel polled fans on that, and the "all-in" sub was overwhelmingly voted as the favoured option over another "monthly figure only" year.

So one can't ascribe anything to that change other than Mattel listening to their fans.

TheGoodDr wrote:2001 to 2006 = 5years
1981 to 1987 = 6years
This line has already been going for 3 years (now into its fourth). Seems to me MOTU has legs on average for about five to six years. With no movie, tv show or any other marketing aspect, when current collectors start drawing the line about what they want to buy, the line needs a rethink in terms of marketing strategy (which is why we're seeing re-issues).
Which would be a grand comparison, if MotUC was a retail line full of shitty pack ratios, poor distribution, and pointless, innane variation figures.

But it's not.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:35 am

Yeah but DroothR,. Mattel suggested the ALL IN SUB to fans....not the other way around. And those who subscribe to the ALL IN SUB are clearly the die-hards, happy to buy everything....not the casual collector who wants to choose. And what better way to get concumers to sign up to the Sub? MAKE BUYING THE FIGURES YOU A PAIN IN THE ASS!

As for the longetivity of the line, shitty pack ratios doesn't dictate if consumers buy the line or not.....just look at Star Wars......Haasbro have had shitty case ratios for YEARS with that line. And what, you're telling me that we're not seeing pointless, innane variations of figures already in the MOTUC line?? How many people stay right away from the Battle Armor figures? And clearly a lot of people in this very forum think the POP figures are pointless variations AWAY from the chore MOTU line. Oh, and the upcoming Zodac seems like a figure WE ALL want. Wink And speaking of the MOTU vs DC twin packs these are simply a strategy to get more consumers into the line.......why stick these at retail if not to have people 'discover' the line for the first time? And the fact the people whinge and complain EVERY month about how they've missed out on a figure from Matty.com ain't too much different from POOR DISTRIBUTION in my book. In fact you can almost argue that MOTUC has NO distribution from a certain point of view because there would be many a person out there who had MOTU toys as a kid yet has NO IDEA that the MOTUC line even exists today.

All I'm trying to say is that Mattel might need to rethink this line. Why not allow people to Pre-Order what they want? You know why? Because very quickly Mattel will discover that certain characters aren't wanted. And if Mattel can't stick in unwanted characters in the line, the line can't possibly go until 2017.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:34 am

Meh, even if the line only lasts a couple more years I know I will get the characters I want. Already have most of them.

We will definately see Sorceress, Marlena, Ram Man, Glimmer & Mekaneck.

I certainly hope we see Frosta, Mermista, Mantenna & few other PoP characters.

I'm not fussed on NA characters, but Optikk was cool.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:16 am

TheGoodDr wrote:As for the longetivity of the line, shitty pack ratios doesn't dictate if consumers buy the line or not.....just look at Star Wars......Haasbro have had shitty case ratios for YEARS with that line. And what, you're telling me that we're not seeing pointless, innane variations of figures already in the MOTUC line??
Comparing Star Wars with MotU is silly.

Star Wars has CONSTANT media saturation/tie-ins, and is popular enough to sell figures of characters that appear out of focus in the far background of random shots in the films.

Comparing the two isn't even "apples & oranges", it's apples & wingnuts.

TheGoodDr wrote:All I'm trying to say is that Mattel might need to rethink this line. Why not allow people to Pre-Order what they want? You know why? Because very quickly Mattel will discover that certain characters aren't wanted. And if Mattel can't stick in unwanted characters in the line, the line can't possibly go until 2017.
That's a rediculous idea, and as a retailer I'm shocked that you'd even try to make it.

Mattel wont do pre-orders because OF COURSE certain characters don't sell.

That's the nature of the game with any line.

By your logic no company should do "Build-a-figure" waves either because it forces consumers to buy stuff they don't want to get the ones they want.

In a perfect world that would be great, but our world is not perfect, and in a retail environment companies have to use whatever tactics they can to offload the less desirable stuff onto customers who would otherwise only buy a limited amount of characters.

...and you know what, buy doing so Mattel is strengthening the longevity of the line. If people could just preorder the few characters they wanted, then the line would fizzle out within 2 years, so your suggestion would actually be more toxic to the line than anything Mattel is currently doing.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 am

I think you're missing my point. Without the constant media, MOTU has limited legs. Hence why Mattel have the POP and other non chore MOTU stuff thrown in to create the longevity. What I'm saying is by doing this, after a period of time people become disenchanted. Why should I have to possibly wait until 2017 for Ram Man or Mekaneck?
OK, so don't compare it to Star Wars....compare it to any other Mattel line then. Every toy line has shitty case ratios and poor assts. I don't see this as being the reason why a line succeeds or fails. And please don't tell me that Mattel have changed their case packing ways after what they did to the 200X line. Blaming shitty case packs or poor distribution for the demise of that line is stupid, because to me, the 200X line simply ran its course in the US.
And what's so shocking about my comment about allowing consumers to PRE ORDER from the ONLY source you can buy these toys from?? Matty.com is not a 'retailer' competing with other stores for the same product. As a retailer I'm in the position to see and experience first hand what annoys and upsets consumers about collecting figures. I certainly know what would make my job easier selling toys.....GIVE THE CONSUMER WHAT THEY WANT! Making figures to what people order makes a lot of sense to me. Sure you might not keep the line going for ever, but what do you think is more important, producing HEAPS of a figure that people really want or producing limited QTYS of non chore characters, forcing people to buy those and obviously loose consumers along the way because they become tired of the line?
BAFs are all about making the consumer buy unwanted figures. Trying to suggest the BAF idea is anything like the Matty Subscription is nonsense. C'mon, how many people in this forum built the Fin Fang Foom figure as a result of finding all the figures required at retail? BAFs work really well for some lines, and poorly for others. Mattel's DC = thumbs up! Hasbro's Marvel Legends = Thumbs down!
My point is, Mattel should really rethink their strategy behind this line becuase I honestly believe that interest in waning. As of today, the Palace Guards are STILL available. Really, how could Mattel get their production run so wrong to still have these in stock? My guess.....not every one wants these......certainly not in the QTYs Mattel was hoping for.
If making consumers subscribe to figures is your idea of strengthening the longivity of a line, that's all good and well, but to me it reeks of desperation to ensure you keep the money coming in, no matter what toy you produce.

Last edited by TheGoodDr on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:16 am

I just hope we get Ram Man, Sorceress and Kobra Khan.

Leech, Mantenna, Extendar and Stinkor would also be good.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:30 am

Pixel Dan reviews Bow & Panthor
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=203179
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=203163

TheGoodDr wrote:
If making consumers subscribe to figures is your idea of strengthening the longivity of a line, that's all good and well, but to me it reeks of desperation to ensure you keep the money coming in, no matter what toy you produce.

I'm not sure I follow you there GoodDoc, wouldn't any toy line that believes it will last several years more or less need to take this route?

I mean, you could see it as a desperation act....but I really don't think they are sweating the lines momentum at this point.

I screamed loud & long "ALL IN SUB"! I certainly hope that did not put too many people out, but it would seem a larger amount of people felt the same as myself. MOTU/PoP/200x...all the same goodness to a lot of us. Including Mattel.

Artistix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next