does this seem shady to you? (ebay)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: does this seem shady to you? (ebay)

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:42 am

Well blow me down with a feather, shuns the community and now tries to rip people, wow, i really am shocked.....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:53 am

yeah i know, first he bails and ****s everything up, and now this.

what a c word

Steve Holt
Looks excited

Number of posts : 485
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:40 am

BURN HIM!

No? Too much? Oh, okay then...

I just like burning things (and people) I guess. Nothing wrong with that is there? Besides, the voices like to watch the flames dance. Dance higher, little flames, dance higher!

Uh, yeah. Anyway...did I suggest a burning?

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 pm

I thought you were suggesting it as it was his nick name. Works for me.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:14 pm

his response:

"The postage has been calculated automatically by eBay, based on weight, location and handling costs. I'm selling you these toys for a dollar. Postage is whatever ebay calculates based on the item details. That's working out at around $15 each for these figures, which means you're still getting these at a good price. That's about half what you'd be paying for most of these on other eBay listings for these figures, including postage. Sorry, but I'm making a loss selling these for a dollar as it is. I'm not reducing postage and making a loss on that too. If you don't want them, I'll relist them."

Steve Holt
Looks excited

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Reportin' time, thats disgraceful....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:52 pm

What a greasy @$$hole... Rolling Eyes

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm

If you list something low then you have to be prepared for it to sell for that price, that's just the way it goes sometimes. Sometimes you make a profit, sometimes you take a loss, that's just the auction game. To try and screw someone over on postage because the auction didn't go as high as you wanted is an absolute crock any way you cut it, not to mention a violation of core Ebay policies. And he basically admits to doing that in that email message.

When contacting Ebay I'd send that email along with it, see what they have to say on the whole matter.

By the way, I've still got a lit torch. Just sayin... Wink

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Get him to put each individual figure in a seperate 500gm Satchel. (Hell even a 3 KG for each is cheaper.)

As much as it is wrong technically he has you with his terms and conditions.

But how the high an mighty have fallen.

The children rise and over throw their creater, let the false god burn.

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 pm

Doesn't matter, it is still in conflict with Ebay's fair and reasonable usage use policy:

Sellers may charge reasonable postage and handling fees to cover the costs for mailing, packaging, and handling the items they are selling. eBay will rely on member reports and other resources to determine whether or not a seller’s postage, handling, packaging, and/or insurance charges are excessive, inaccurate, misleading, unreasonable or unnecessary.

eBay may also place limits on the amount of postage and handling that can be charged for flat-rate domestic postage on certain categories of items.

Sellers must charge only actual postage and actual packaging costs (or less) in order to be in compliance with this policy. Sellers must ensure that the details of their postage costs are accurately described in their listings and that their postage costs are not misleading in any way. Postage and handling fees must not be listed as a percentage of the final sale price. More details are set out below.

In addition to the final listing price, sellers are permitted to charge any of the following additional costs:

* Actual Postage cost: This must be limited to the actual cost (i.e. postage) for posting the item.
* Packaging cost: This must be limited to the actual cost of packaging materials used for the item, such as bubble wrap, tape, box and mailing label and must not be excessive or unnecessary.

* Handling cost: This must be limited to the reasonable costs for selecting and preparing the item for shipping and must not be excessive or unnecessary.
* Insurance: Sellers offering insurance must only charge the actual fee for insurance relating to the item (or less). No additional amount may be added, such as “self-insurance”. Sellers must only offer postal insurance provided by a licensed 3rd party insurance provider.

Note: Postage and Handling costs must not include storage costs, employee costs (except for the reasonable cost of selecting and preparing the item for shipping), business overhead expenses, or any other general business cost. For cross border transactions, sellers may not collect tariffs and duties. However, buyers may be responsible for actual, applicable tariffs, and duties as required by respective country laws. Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

* Listing cancellation
* Limits on account privileges
* Account suspension
* Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
* Loss of PowerSeller status

Some Examples
Examples of violating listings

Sony 2 GB Memory Stick Pro Card
BIN: AU $37.35
Postage and Handling: AU $26.99 Standard Post
Explanation: The seller states that the item will be posted “Standard Post” and not
overnight or private courier company. Given the small size/weight of this item, overall
postage and handling charges are inflated.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (2001, DVD)
BIN: AU $9.00
Postage and Handling: Not specified
Item description: Postage is AU $15.00 to anywhere in Australia
Explanation: This seller is charging domestic postage in excess of the $8 postage limit for
DVDs.

New Pink Motorola L6 L 6 Unlocked Slvr GSM World Phone
BIN: AU $1.00
Postage and Handling: Free within Australia
Item description: Postage is AU $164.95 to anywhere in Australia
Explanation: This seller is charging all costs for this item in the postage price thus hiding
the “true” cost for this item from buyers. Further, by stating that postage is ‘free’ but then
stating a postage price in the item description, details of the postage cost are misleading
and likely to confuse buyers.
Examples of Listings in Compliance:

NEW SONY ERICSSON T237 GSM UNLOCKED COLOR PHONE * FEDEX
BIN: AU $36.95
Postage: AU $18.95 Standard Flat Rate Postage for Courier Company
Explanation: The seller is posting this item via Courier Company and states the actual flat
rate cost in the listing.

Creative Labs Zen Micro Photo 8GB Pink MP3 Player
BIN: AU $195
Postage: AU $11.99 Courier Company Surface Mail
Explanation: The seller is posting the item via Courier Company Surface Mail and is
charging actual postage prices plus a reasonable fee.

SOLID STATE Abstract Art Painting Taylor HUGE
Painting measures 36” x 24” / canvas supported by panel
Starting bid: AU $20
Postage: AU $40 Courier Company Surface Mail
Explanation: The postage charge is greater due to the size/bulk of the item being posted
and custom crating.
Why does eBay have this policy?

This policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the full cost of an
item. Listings that include misleading or excessive postage fees lead to a poor buying
experience and un-level the playing field by putting sellers who charge reasonable
postage charges at a disadvantage. These listings undermine the trust and legitimacy of
eBay’s marketplace.

Fact is there is no way he can justify that postage quote for the weight or size of the products being sent, particularly if he combines multiple items won (as he stated he does in his listing). I'd be reporting this to ebay and fighting all the way personally. A bit of postal gouging people can get away with pretty easily, but something to this extent, in my experience at least, is far less likely to be tolerated by Ebay.

That said, all Ebay is likely going to do is to allow both parties to walk away from the transaction and call it a day, rarely do they pimp slap the offenders unless they rack up a whole series of similar complaints.

But for the future, always confirm postage costs if you ever have any doubts, or intend to buy multiple items, before actually bidding on anything, it's always better safe than sorry. Never trust that people will do the right thing by you, because sadly too many people don't these days. And if you're unhappy with their response, or get a bad vibe from them in any way, just walk away. There will always be another opportunity just around the corner...

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:34 am

Wow, just wow...being as involved as he was with the "community" you'd think he would be more even minded when it comes to collecting. Well at least we know who to stay away from on e bay now.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 am

I had no idea those rules were in place, that's good to know Smile

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:16 am

It's the "handling" charges where the add-ins usually come from......when you get the toys the stamp price will be $10 or it will come in a $9 postage bag.... the extra $20 a figure is his "handling charge" which he adds in..... some ebay shops have those and it's usually in their product info blurb.... It's why I avoid any auctions where it's not specifically mentioned with an exact figure. I'm always happy to pay a couple of extra bucks for packaging - usually a padded envelope for $1.50...

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:47 pm

I do not remember this Fireball...

But then, I barely remember yesterday.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Without posting particulars, he is the reason we are all here, he started ozfigures.com but bailed leaving us to fend for ourselves, bar a speed hump I think we did really well! And now he's trying to screw the people he brought together...... Nice!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:11 pm

yeah, he's the reason we had to migrate, i'm definitely reporting him to ebay

Steve Holt
Looks excited

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gevaudin on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:21 am

Okay, I'm really curious... any progress so far? Very Happy

Gevaudin

Number of posts : 289
Trading Status : 17
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShaneHero on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Wow, I had a great laugh when this ended up getting mentioned on some wrestling podcast that sends me messages on facebook. Lovely.

Maybe Steve, you could have tried a bit more of what grown ups call "communicating". It's usually suggested by eBay as the best way to resolve most issues between buyers and sellers. Y’know, cos it works.

Your level of communicating with me consisted of ONE eBay message “why is postage $90?”. The answer I gave you was that this is what eBay had calculated.

You see, I listed a bunch of stuff on eBay using Turbo Lister. Since I expected to sell most of the things for a dollar, since that was the starting price (taking advantage of the free 99c listings that weekend). Since I was selling toys at a loss, for a measley dollar, I really didn’t want to spend a lot of effort on this. So I figured I’d set up as much as possible to be done automatically, including adding up the postage for each item and combined postage.

I’m guilty of being lazy, and not double checking that eBay was calculating an accurate price, because it ended up being way out on all my auctions, especially the two who bought multiple items. The other seller contacted me, alerting me to the fact the price was well above what they’d expect and explained the situation. They didn’t just ask “why is postage $90?”. Since I had assumed eBay would be calculating the right amount, and since I was making a grand total of $6 from the sale, I didn’t think it warranted me spending the time to box, weigh and measure the items to recalculate the price just to answer the question “why is postage $90?”. Communication skills Steve; Don’t assume I’m going to know what you mean from a single sentence.

You were getting a bunch of good figures for a dollar. If you put the effort you made into contacting me instead of dobbing on me to this forum and eBay, we’d have worked out the mistake and you’d get your cheap figures. As it is, I’ll relist them and try make myself a few more dollars when I relist them next time instead of virtually giving them away. You weren’t doing ME a favour by buying a bunch of figures for a dollar. It’s no hassle for me to keep them, and try get a better price next time.

Look, if I was planning a master eBay scam, don’t you think I’d do it under a name that wouldn’t clearly identify me to a lot of people? $90 is so ridiculously above what you would expect for postage, how would I expect such a plan to even work?

If you want to believe I was out to scam people, nothing I say is going to change your opinion. However, maybe some of you who are a bit brighter, will learn from the lesson not to assume the worst, and realise that maybe by communicating with people you can resolve things. Running to bitch on a forum or dobbing on me to eBay has achieved nothing for Steve. Ebay won’t care, and he missed a good bargain.

Which leads me to this miserable bunch here, and those of you who all remember me from a website I made about ten years ago and hold some sort of grudge against me for it. I spent MY money making a website for you. I kept paying to keep it online for your benefit, even after I was too busy to remain involved. I closed it down after everyone had left to post on other sites. Boo hoo for you all if you were too childish to moderate yourselves, or too stupid or cheap to set up your own site. What more exactly did I owe all of you? Should I still be paying to host a site I didn’t care about, just to keep a bunch of grown men from throwing a tantrum? Get over yourselves and your false sense of entitlement.

In the end, thanks for the laugh, thanks for the chance to relist my figures and make some more money Steve, and thanks to those petty, ungrateful few who reminded me of exactly why I’m quite happy to not be part of a “community” like this any longer.

ShaneHero

Number of posts : 3
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2010-09-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:46 pm

woh

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2291
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:25 pm

No one accused you of being a 'master scammer', just an unco-operative and unreasonable dick, which it would seem, by that little tirade, you clearly are. In spades. But whatever dude. Enjoy life on your holier-than-thou perch, and keep burning those bridges, I'm sure the extra couple of dollars you make by doing so will be well worth it in the end...

Sledge Hammer!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:34 pm

"Hero", here are the reasons why I think your post and attitude are unfounded and making yourself look worse than you already did.

Firstly - when someone on ebay asks you a question about postage referring to auctions that he's purchased with asks "Why is postage $90" I'd say its pretty safe to say he's asking about the postage costs he's been given from your auctions. If you seriously looked at that and couldn't work it out, I have some serious concerns for your understanding of the world and other people in general.
I do understand and accept that his question was roughly asked, but when you think you're on the receiving end of a postage bill like that (and lets face it, there are people out there like that) its not entirely difficult to understand his point of view.

Secondly - people are shitty because you ditched us, yes, but also - you refused to let some members take control of (and therefore pay themselves) the site once you left. The thing is, those childish posters that couldn't moderate themselves were people that weren't part of the core community we were trying to preserve.
So telling us that we were too lazy to be bothered making our own site - clearly a moot point as we are now in our second self-made home, not only doing well for ourselves but you were the one who said no to our request - so don't think you can come here and beat up on us. We have reason to be irritated with you.

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:59 pm

You know this is exactly what I expected, and I'm not sure why.... But anyway glad to see the ass end of a complete waste of oxygen and space, did you just take down ozfigs or that whackjob site dedicated to yourself too?????

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShaneHero on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:52 pm

You mean my blog I made and had online years ago? I know, how crazy right? Thanks for keeping tabs on everything I do online BigFella, remembering all the personal websites made by someone who posted on a forum and hasn't spoken to you in years isn't creepy at all.

And for the record, I was only contacted by one person from the old site who asked about taking over Ozfigures. Since I was not involved in the site anymore, I said I was happy to hand it over, but the new owner would have to take over hosting the site. I never heard back from them.

So I don't understand this hatred towards me over that when I read this thread. If you were all able to set up a new site without me, what was the big deal? Why hate me because I could no longer be involved with the first site?

You do realize I'm allowed to move on with my life if I'm too busy to moderate a forum about toys for you, right?

ShaneHero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:14 am

I'm not going to get into a forum fight over all this, for our members, we offered to purchase both the site AND the name and we were refused, and that's all I'll say on this, I'll take a step back and let others moderate this thread in an unbiased way, nice to chat "hero"....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShaneHero on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:10 am

Dabigfella wrote:I'm not going to get into a forum fight over all this, for our members, we offered to purchase both the site AND the name and we were refused, and that's all I'll say on this, I'll take a step back and let others moderate this thread in an unbiased way, nice to chat "hero"....

Yes, you OFFERED and I agreed, and then you never followed it up. Since you have no idea what was going on in my private life at the time, and why I didn't have time to be chasing YOU up to give you control of my website, you're just proving what a selfish, greedy little child you really are. You're not at all grateful for the fact I ran the initial site for you, but you're pissed off and angry at me because I didn't give you more. Even if you want to believe that I refused to give away control of the site, so what? Why do you have any entitlement to it in the first place? What gives you this sense of entitlement, that I should have continued to give you more than I already had? Just because you posted on the forum doesn't give you any claim to ownership. Being angry at me for not giving you more than I already had, YEARS later, is just pathetic and greedy.

Just like with this eBay situation. I didn't scam anyone, I was happy to let Steve back out of the sale if he chose to. Even if you want to believe I was intentionally attempting to rip him off by purposely charging that much for postage, I didn't force him to pay it, I didn't lodge non-paying bidder case, he lost nothing from it. He wasn't robbed, he wasn't cheated. He's just angry that he didn't get to buy dirt cheap figures. What a crime. If he'd shown some common decency, and contacted me to explain things to me, he could have sorted it out. But he assumed the worst, wrote a short, rude email and expected that I would go out of my way to help give away things to him for next to nothing.

You get back from people what you give; if you act rude, don't expect people to go out of their way to help you, especially when they're already giving you a good deal. You start a thread bashing me, thinking I don't know what you're saying behind my back, you deserve to be called out for being so ungrateful, greedy and petty.

I don't mean to direct this towards everyone here, because I'm sure that some of you are decent, reasonable people. But some of you need to take a long hard look at what greedy, ungrateful and disrespectful little children you behave like. I don't owe it to anyone to be giving them websites and selling my toys to them for a dollar.

ShaneHero

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top