no such thing as a free lunch

View previous topic View next topic Go down

no such thing as a free lunch

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:52 pm

SO my wife entered a competition a while ago advertised on tv and won a free sitting & $275 credit at Viva Photography (from now on to be known as fist fuckers inc.) so having little Sophie get to 3 months we decided to get some photos done. From the first walk in everyone there's over the top friendly & interested in everything we do or say * first warning sign like you've just walked into a mobile phone shop* We have the photoshoot which was fun and fine, we're given 15 min to relax while they make our pics look pretty...nvited into the "vewing room" where we will have 1 on 1 service as we choose which pictures we like. This is where the fun starts and seems alot like the time after you join a cult and the leader tells you he needs to have sex with your wife and daughter during the next service. Always a worry when the first thing the girl says is lets not worry about the cost of anything lets just decide which pictures you like or don't like... I ask if we can get a small proof book so we could show overseas family etc so they might order something......"Oh we don't do that but we do sell this photo album".... it comes with 15 photos in it and is $2500....WTF? seriously? Like the buy one month - get one month free at Zest deal.....which doesn't include the $150 sign up fee (have fallen into that one before)..........prints smaller than A4 are $275 a pop, anything bigger than that they only sell framed so we didn't bother asking what their margin was for them. Of course you feel completely uncomforable where you can't really discuss costs with your wife as the girl's there in the room with you......I'm guessing the same tactic used selling time share appartments in some part of QLD that I'm sure looks promising to someone in WA but is really an old caravan park next to a sewage treatment plant for those in the know. Of course you start feeling guilty about not ordering the 8 pic's you've narrowed it down to but seriously that's 2+ weeks wages or 2 months car payments......or a fucking nice camera and tripod and probably enough to buy a black sheet for a backdrop...... So we bought 3 pics, they're great, me, wife & daughter look great, sad I had to leave so many others behind. As they looked great compared to some friends family photos but.... the entire experience has left me pissed off and jaded....... I'm sure I now know how Scott Rush felt after his great holiday in Bali that a workmate paid for while they were wrapping him with 3kg of heroin... no such thing as a free lunch
So fuck you Viva Photgraphy, my wife's off to Canada in a couple of weeks....If you happen to get broken into and your computers stolen and a turd left on your couch it wasn't me.

Sorry venting complete......hope you enjoyed the read Cussing

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: no such thing as a free lunch

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Haha, I don't think I've ever been able to take a "you've won a free photo session" seriously. We did one of those Kmart pixie photos about 5 years ago as we hadn't done a family portrait since I was about 5. Anyway my Dad was expecting high prices and stupid tactics so we walked out with our freebie and nothing more. They do charge a butt load of money but I'm fairly certain a lot of it is because they get bugger all business and have to cover their costs and shiz by charging the few people a lot of money.
More importantly - never be afraid to have your private money discussion in front of their people. If they feel they're within their right to interrupt, just ignore them or tell them it's a private conversation - of course, I do recommend asking for a minute alone to discuss too.
Good on you for not caving in to their tactics!

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Yeah those things are a con job, the sitting is free but the photos cost a stupid amount, my wife gets suckered into these things lots, admittedly we have some nice photos of the kids when they are babies/toddlers but yeah, the industry needs something to stop that type of crap cause thats exactly what it is crap

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 pm

Yeah family and wedding photographers roll in the coin. I remember trying to get a quote for a small photobook and nearly fainting when they said the price. I understand that materials etc are expensive but if you've been in business for this long and haven't secured a decent discount with your supplier then your business brain is dead.

Hope the wife has fun in Canada. Weather is shitzen at the moment *sigh* there goes my tan.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:23 am

yikes. the closest i have had with something like this is the gym membership. yeah, right first month free, then they sit you down and tell you it's going to cost the earth to keep going there.

ahhh, a free lunch would be nice though.

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:48 am

I knew it would be expensive but not that expensive....we spent a fair bit on our wedding photos but I left that whole experience feeling I got good value for money.....here I felt jipped........Seems like a funny business model but I guess it works.....I'll never go back but they did get $500 from me so I guess they see that as a win.....

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Just a head's-up for y'all.

If you're in Melbourne (or ever travel here) I'll do you professional quality photos for a nice lunch.

I even know someone in printing/framing who's cheap if you want it all done.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Octane on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:44 pm

DroothR wrote:Just a head's-up for y'all.

If you're in Melbourne (or ever travel here) I'll do you professional quality photos for a nice lunch.

You do weddings?

(If you have not seen DroothR photography skills I will vouch the man does have a good eye for it)

Octane

Number of posts : 232
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:08 am

Octane wrote:
DroothR wrote:Just a head's-up for y'all.

You do weddings?

(If you have not seen DroothR photography skills I will vouch the man does have a good eye for it)
Actually I have done a wedding! Very Happy

If anyone wants to view samples from said wedding, just drop me a PM with your email addy.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:22 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top