Movie Green Lantern Reveald

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movie Green Lantern Reveald

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 am

Yeah I watched this earlier, and I officially retract my earlier doubts and worries...well most of them. The only thing I don't like is Hal's domino mask, which just doesn't look quite right to me, and I think it's a good move to make it a point that it is only used in instances where he needs to mask his identity, because frankly it just looks a bit distracting looking and fake. But they are still working on the effects for the film so who knows if that'll still be the case by time of release.

But everything else looks great so far to me, and I love how much respect they seem to be paying to the source material with this one as well, and after watching that latest reel they definitely have my money.

Plus I gotta say, I quite like the casting of Geoffrey Rush as Tomar Re, and both Temuera Morrison as Abin Sur and Mark Strong as Sinestro are far better fits than I would have imagined as well, and seem to fit their characters perfectly. It's a shame we didn't get to hear Michael Clarke Duncan as Kilowog though, but I can't imagine that piece of casting doing anything other than working out regardless. Reynolds is my only real worry so far, casting wise, and he still is, but he can act when he wants to, so here's hoping he nails it and doesn't go too broadly comical with the role.

Anyway, can't wait to see more.

Last edited by Sledge Hammer! on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster on Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:02 pm

DroothR wrote:

Now that (finally) looks like a film I want to see. Very Happy

I agree!!
Until I watched this trailer I was not convinced and had no real interest.
Now I cannot wait for this movie

Blaster

Number of posts : 383
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2010-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun May 08, 2011 9:43 am

Another trailer for GL - http://www.slashfilm.com/green-lantern-trailer-2/
According to NonCanonical Comics (a Melbourne-based comic podcast) GL's release date has been pushed back to August 4th.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Yarrrhhh, she blows! First reviews are coming and things are not looking good Sad

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 pm

^^
Yeah looked at the reviews on RottenTomatoes.com. Could GL be 2011's Ghost Rider or Jonah Hex? I'll still see it at the cinema. If I can sit through Spider-Man 3, I can stomach this .... right?

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Favourite quote so far:

This could have been great. Hell, at this point Iíd settle for good. What I got instead was a turd sandwich that is cobbled together with what looks like delicious ingredients. If only they didnít take a huge dump on it I could have had a great meal.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:21 am

ugh the reviews are not encouraging, coupled with the fact they have postponed release here for a few months it doesn't bode well for future GL (and perhaps even other non Superman/Batman) movies, it's a sad day Sad

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:32 pm

GL movie pushed back here until August 11 for some mysterious reason, first Jun 16, then Aug 4, now Aug 11 and no official reason...

Just got back from a trip to NZ which allowed me to see it and I freakin loved it, really don't get why the critics slammed it so hard, there are PLENTY of worse movies out there, it's like they don't even watch it and base their reviews off all the other reviews...

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:55 am

I went to the Queensland premiere last night (Monday) - saw it at Southbank Cinemas in Brisbane. When we arrived we were stamped after we gave over our passes and were given 2 tickets - one green, one blue. The green one got you a free ice cream cone (tasted like mint with some kind of green ice magic on it) and a FREE 4inch Green Lantern figure by Mattel - I got Kilowog, my gf got Sinestro. The blue ticket got you a photo - you had to stand in front of a green screen with your right hand up (like the Lanterns on the movie poster) and they put you in the poster - bit wanky but at least a good photo of the 2 of us. While we were waiting around some dude dressed up as Hal in a really ill-fitting costume came around with some more boxes of figures, so we got another figure each - I got Green Man, my gf got a regular Hal. There were also some folks who were given some kind of sample bag (don't know what they did to qualify - right place, right time?) that contained a GL glass with light up green base and some other stuff. So we all filed into the cinema around twenty five to 7, we watched it on an Imax screen in 3D.
The movie itself wasn't that bad - a lot of the GL lore has been compressed and diluted to make it accessible to the regular punter - not many nods to the fan boys though, besides some 'blink and you'll miss them' cameos in GL Corps group shots. Some funny bits, good sequences and solid performances from most players (the weakest for me were Reynolds, chick playing Carol didn't grab me too much either). Standout was Peter Sarsgaard as Hector Hammond.
Coming to it as a fanboy though, it was a lot like the X-Men movies, or even Batman Begins - taking disseparate elements from the comics and smooshing them together - for instance, the relationship between Parallax and the Guardians is really turned on its head (I had to spend nearly an hour trying to explain the difference in comic vs movie Parallax to my gf).
A strong 3.5 out of 5 - better than TF3, but no Thor or Captain America. And stay for the credits!

Last edited by fuzzcat on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:59 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typo)

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 603
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:19 am

Cool, nice to read something positive about it!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:51 am

Yeah the after the credits thing was very cool, they better make a second movie

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:34 am

Hemish wrote:Yeah the after the credits thing was very cool, they better make a second movie

The articles I've read have mentioned that WB is sticking with the GL franchise. I remember the words "darker", "edgier" and "more action" being thrown around.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 am

I've seen it, and I was underwhelmed.

The CGI is just overbearing and it has the overall feel of an extended pixar feature.
Not a total failure, but close to it!

Yeah and stay for after the credits.

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:13 am

I originally had high hopes for the movie after seeing the props at SDCC'10 and listening to Geoff Johns talk about it at NYCC.

What's it like in 3D? Plan to take my old man out for a viewing - he hasn't seen a 3D movie since 'Three Stooges 3D' or possibly one of the later 'Nightmare on Elm Street' movies.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by new_krypton on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am

i loved it

new_krypton

Number of posts : 136
Trading Status : 0
Registration date : 2008-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:43 pm

I didn't think it was any worse than say... any of the Transformers movies. Can't win them all. Neutral

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fuzzcat on Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:12 pm

NiteOwl wrote:I've seen it, and I was underwhelmed.

The CGI is just overbearing and it has the overall feel of an extended pixar feature.
Not a total failure, but close to it!

Yeah and stay for after the credits.

Yeah, see for me the CGI was better than anything in the SW crap-quels or Avatar - there really was no other way to do Oa, the constructs or most of the Corps. I also liked that any CGI stand ins for the 'human' characters (including Hammond) were pretty much spot on.

fuzzcat

Number of posts : 603
Trading Status : 36
Registration date : 2008-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am

Just watched it, and in staying true to my very easily pleased with most movies, LOVED IT!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:07 pm

What I got instead was a turd sandwich that is cobbled together with what looks like delicious ingredients.
Yeah, that's a little extreme, but about right.

The plot points on paper are great, but the film failed in the execution of the story's characters, dialogue, and ideas.

Very, very weak, but not at all what I would call terrible.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 am

Caught a 3D viewing yesterday afternoon. I went in with really low expectations and walked out at the end knowing that Wolverdud and Ghost Rider are still at the top of the stink pile.

I found GL to be a little all over the place. I didn't really fall for the movie version of the Hal and Carol romance. It felt as if there was no chemistry between Reynolds and Lively (who is very easy on the eyes), and the scenes felt forced (Lucas didn't ghostwrite these scenes did he *zing*).

I really liked Mark Strong performance and wished they opted to use Sinestro as the main villain rather than pit Hal against Parallax and Hector Hammond. The visuals were OK. Reynolds was OK as Hal, but I still see him as Wally West\The Flash (ver 2).

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:16 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2