Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Post by BoloMusashi on Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:40 am

The new trailer is up and running - http://www.slashfilm.com/captain-america-avenger-trailer-2/

I rewatched the grenade scene a couple of times and with a big smile on my face I said "F**k yeah, this is going to be awesome!".

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blaster on Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

BoloMusashi wrote:

I rewatched the grenade scene a couple of times and with a big smile on my face I said "F**k yeah, this is going to be awesome!".

I have just seen this trailer and this movie looks unreal..
I read a blurb somewhere saying that the first screening for critics was done last week and the feedback was positive and it has been compared to Iron Man...
article here
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2011/06/18/captain-america-the-first-avenger-getting-early-positive-buzz

Blaster

Number of posts : 383
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2010-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:02 pm

Yeah this is looking to be all sorts of awesome
I have watched that trailer a few times now and dam me everything about it looks just as close to perfect as you can get.
Before these trailers showed up I had no idea Tommy Lee Jones was in this.
Throw in some quality actors and the whole game is lifted.

'He's still skinny though' that just cracked me up

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

looking forward to this one and gonna avoid trailers as much as possible

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:43 am

Just got back from seeing the film.

The first half is perfect, but I feel that it gets too sloppy in the last half for it to reach it's true potential.

Spoiler:
I really felt that Bucky's end, and Cap's freezing were better in the comic, and were weaker in the altered film versions.
Here's how I (personally) rank Marvel Studios' films: Thor > Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man 2.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:18 pm

where does Electra fit on that list?

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NiteOwl on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm

DroothR wrote:Just got back from seeing the film.

The first half is perfect, but I feel that it gets too sloppy in the last half for it to reach it's true potential.

Spoiler:
I really felt that Bucky's end, and Cap's freezing were better in the comic, and were weaker in the altered film versions.
Here's how I (personally) rank Marvel Studios' films: Thor > Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man 2.

No love for Blade?

NiteOwl
The Goggles Do Nuthing!

Number of posts : 1337
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm

The Dr Of Style wrote:where does Electra fit on that list?
It doesn't, being that it's a Fox film. tongue

NiteOwl wrote:No love for Blade?
New Line film. Wink

*cough*
DroothR wrote:Here's how I (personally) rank Marvel Studios' films: Thor > Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man 2.
Razz

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Otter on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 am

LOL, well you sure know your studios. I liked Iron Man more then Thor but Thor was definitely 2nd on the list and I agree that IM2 would be last, I havent even bought IM2 on DVD.

Otter
hotter to trotter

Number of posts : 773
Trading Status : 12
Registration date : 2008-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 pm

DroothR wrote:Here's how I (personally) rank Marvel Studios' films: Thor > Iron Man > The Incredible Hulk > Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man 2.

I find most of the Marvel Studio movies a little middle of the road really, kinda here nor there. It's great to see them on screen but it all seems a little the same to me. If I had to choose 1 out of the 5 it would be Captain America for the simple fact it was a hell of a lot of fun and dare I say it... he actually put the "hero" in "superhero". They are all good movies, some better than others but all of them besides C.A. to me are just 3/5 star movies, nothing really lifts them above that and sets them apart and I see The Avengers continuing this trend. It's like they have tried very hard to drastically make them very different but when the credits roll it just feels like another Marvel movie... know what I mean? Captain America's story is a lot more interesting than the rest, I felt myself actually invested in his story and his mindset and for a guy dressed as an american flag to sell that (and succeed) is a big achievement on Marvel's behalf. Say what you will about FOX but they delivered the goods (or rather Matthew Vaughn did) 10 fold with X-Men: First Class. That was an adult movie for adult comic book movie fans, Captain America is a demographic movie that pretty much nailed them all without sacrificing much in the process. Sheesh! Stop reading this and go watch it already!

Here's how I (personally) rank Marvel Studio's films: Captain America: The First Avenger > Iron Man > Thor > The Incredible Hulk > Iron Man 2

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Good film.

I personally preferred Iron Man and Thor, but easily scrapes into the top three Marvel films.

I definitely thought it had a stronger first two acts and really seemed to decline in the third act for the big "climax" which ended up being pretty dull with not much happening and it was actually quite an anti-climatic way for the film to end. Still, I thought Evans was good in the role (not as good as when he played the Human Torch) and given it was a film about a dude wearing a flag fighting Nazis, they did really well with it.

Plus, the trailer for The Avengers was just great. Glad to see Thor is showing off those massive guns. I couldn't believe they made Chris Hemsworth just about double in size for a single shirtless scene. If I had biceps like those, I'd be walking around sleeveless all the time, so it's good to see Thor adopting the same attitude.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:46 am

Saw it in 3D over the weekend and took my Dad to go see it Wednesday night - he loved it.

I really enjoyed the movie and found it to be a really fun ride. Sure there were one or two things that I would have preferred to have seen - more Howling Commandos, more Red Skull and maybe a montage of Steve getting his Cap training - but that's me being picky. I was surprised with the Bucky scene since I was expecting them to follow the Ultimate Cap route rather than something along the lines of the MU616.

I really loved the tone of the movie and I'm grateful Joe Johnston was behind the camera (I love The Rocketeer). IMO, the movie would've suffered if they took it too seriously - you can't have a Band of Brothers style movie with a guy running around with a shield etc. The pre-serum scenes, especially the cinema and grenade scenes, and the ones involving Stanely Tucci were great.

I'm a huge Captain America fan so this is my favourite Marvel movie. So grateful this movie can now replace the POS version that was released years ago. Now release a sequel with Batroc the Leaper!

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:52 am

I saw it on Saturday night. Our cinema was asked to complete a questionnaire (half before the film, half after the film).

I thought the movie was fun. That seems to be its defining charateristic. My cinema was full less three seats, and there was a lot of laughter in response to the jokes. TLJ got the best lines I thought. I heard that Joss did an uncredited pass over the script and it was implied that the jokes were his.

What I especially liked - the first act was an origin story of at least the quality of the first act of Donner's Superman.

What I didn't especially like - the laser weapons took me out of it, and the Bucky scene didn't have the same sense of sacrifice that I thought it should.

Favourite Easter Egg - did anyone else notice what was in the big glass Bell Jar in the foreground of the Stark Expo?

What I felt it could have done with - a montage highlighting the Howling Commandos and who they were and what they could do individually that made them Cap's elite, other than the fact he rescued them.

Stanley Tucci and Tommy Lee Jones were both great!

Whilst I rated this on my questionnaire as GOOD - not EXCELLENT - I cannot wait for this to come out DVD. MY favourite this year above X-Men then Thor.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:13 pm

The wife and I saw this tonight and it was highly enjoyable. Just one of those films you can go in and enjoy, whether you know the backstory or not.

I know most of the "groundwork" of the Cap story, but never read any of the comics. So for me, I'm somewhere in between someone with zero knowledge and pretty good knowledge of the history of Captain America.

Got quite a few of the nods and probably missed plenty of others. Felt it was a great first half film and agree the latter part of it was rushed a wee bit, but I guess it had to be done as this is essentially part of the Avengers build up.

Haven't seen Thor yet. Not a big fan of Iron Man 2. Enjoyed Iron Man when first watched (although made the mistake of watching it a second time within a week of first seeing it... was a bit painful to get through). Like the Incredible Hulk.

Looking forward to The Avengers. I like origin stories in comic book adaptations... they are just done better than sequels, and essentially The Avengers is a sequel of several films, so I do fear it could be done badly.

Any word on the villains involved in it?

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Jor-El wrote:Any word on the villains involved in it?
Spoiler:
Loki is the main bad, and (if leaked info is correct) he opens a dimensional rift to unleash the Skrulls on Earth (as punishment on Earth's people, for turning his brother - Thor against him), with a not-as-strong rumor that they may have Thanos re-written as the Skrull leader.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Saw it today, after avoiding this entire thread and any spoiler I could.

Actually found it quite dull for a Marvel flick. The threat never seemed to escalate, there was never any urgency to the Red Skull's plans. They never really showed us what the big threat was after Cap took out all of the smaller bases...it's actually a bit of a plot hole. If Skull's plans were being slowed down by the mini-base destruction, it didn't seem it. Also it didn't make sense to me that New York was a primary target...I know it's an American film, but destroying the crap out of London first would have been the go.

It was well made I guess, but I just thought it was all a bit bland.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:38 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top