Looks excited

Number of posts : 485
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Incredible Hulk movie thread

Post by Shocka on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:05 pm

Just saw this today - found it to be very average, sadly, after the amazing first half hour. The action sequences really brought it down for me - dullsville! I really wanted some uber-SMASH good stuff, like in the Hulk Ultimate Destruction game, but it was all so ineffective and poorly cut together - bleh!

Very intrigued as to what people here think of it, esp compared to Iron Man.

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:23 pm

it seems to have gotten pretty good reviews at rotten tomatoes. i'm looking forward to seeing it.

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Exclamation The following is more or less cut/pasted from a post I made on a film forum. Exclamation

Saw it a few hours ago, and I can tell you it is GOOD.

It's not just mindless action as some (including myself) feared.

I'll get the spoilers out of the way first:
Spoiler:
- Most of Leonard Samson's scenes are missing in the theatrical cut.

The scene in the trailers where Bruce talks to him about his "problems", and Samson says he's "heard it all"? Not in the film at all. You can tell that he was ment to play a bigger part, but in the T-cut, he never even MEETS Bruce, so he's reduced to a few brief appearances.

I'm betting these scenes with Samson (particularly where he digs into Bruce's psyche) are the main ones Norton was pissed off about being cut.

- Rewritten to tie more into the new "Expanded Marvel Universe" that Marvel Studios is creating.

From the opening titles, it's made clear that this film is NOT a sequel to Ang Lee's film, with a completely different origin (even though the film starts with Bruce in South America). Also, SHIELD is all over this film. Not directly like in Iron Man, but there's references to them having a close eye on everything every step of the way.

- Rumor control -

- No Steve Rogers in the film.

The "Captain America" cameo is the Super-Soldier project/serum which is re-opened to combat Hulk. Cap himself is not in the film, nor directly referenced at all.

- Nor is Sam Jackson in the film either.

I know it was rumored that a scene with Nick Fury and Hilary Swank as Sharon Carter was shot, but if that was the case, then it wasn't used in the final film.

- As for Tony Stark's cameo, early reports stated that he speaks to Gen. Ross about tech or weapons or something, but that's not the case at all. In fact, what he does speak to him about is a little weird. I wont spoil that, but it DOES suggest that a period of time has passed since the events of Iron Man.
Ok, non-spoiler impressions:

- Plenty of action.

Sure to please MUCH more than Ang Lee's film.

The 2 big Hulk actions scenes that you've seen in the trailers are MASSIVE, and full of stuff from the comics and Ultimate Destruction video game.

- Hulk as "monster"?

Nope. They really nailed him as a frustrated and confused "toddler" emotionally and mentally. I was pleasantly surprised by this.

- Uneven editing.

You can tell that there were a lot of changes late in the game at times, because a number of the cuts seem rather abrupt. To me it felt like the film had been completed, and THEN a bunch of scenes were just hacked out last minute, with little time to smooth out the edges. Incidentally, there's 3 people sharing the editing credit in the opening titles, so that says a lot right there.

It's nothing drastic, and likely something that I only picked up on because I am a filmmaker, but it was something that stuck out to me.

- Easter Eggs.

More of them than you can count, and none of them overly forced, or groan inducing. Each got a great reaction from the audience that I saw the film with.

Idea

So all in all, I was really surprised at how good this film was, after going in with moderately low expectations, and high hopes.

This one's sure to please the general public AND comic fans. It's got all the action that you need, plus it's a hell of a lot smarter than your average action blockbuster, without getting as symbolic as Ang Lee's film.

I still liked Iron Man more, but this is great too. 8/10 from me.

thumbs up 2

P.S. There is NO SCENE AFTER THE CREDITS in this one. If you heard different, then you were misinformed.

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HAL on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:11 pm

well, you`ve wet my appetite with that post.

HAL

Number of posts : 161
Trading Status : 6
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 pm

I'm kinda getting excited to see this. Wasn't overly excited (particularly with a lot of the kid toys being flogged off at the mo'... brought horrible flashbacks of the Bana/Ang film), but I think this could be a good one (as in Iron Man/X-Men/Spider-Men kind of good, or at least Punisher okish, rather than Fantastic Four/Daredevil/Ghost Rider disappointing).

It's pretty cool that everything's gearing towards an Avenger film.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:06 am

it's a pretty kick-ass movie

Steve Holt
Looks excited

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:24 am

Hoping to see it this weekend, I'm going in with low expectations.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MAN on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:54 pm

Saw it tonight. It was a struggle to get through. There were times where I wanted to take a nap.

Only loved the ending.

MAN

Number of posts : 276
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:30 pm

MAN wrote:There were times where I wanted to take a nap.

Man, do I hear that Sad

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:48 am

Thought it was reasonable, agree with a couple of the above comments.....felt like I was sitting there going.....uh nothing new yet .....uh nothing new yet the whole way through. thought the cgi looked awesome all the way through couple of questions tho.....
Spoiler:
did hulk kill him in the end?....betty yells stop and he does....but then it looks like he does a bruce lee stand on your neck and twist move while we only see hulks face...... and the sudden rain storm when the helicopter crashes at the university fight.....they then mention on the news they couldn't trace him into the forrest/national park due to severe weather...in the park specifically....I'm thinking Thor or is that a stretch.....the rain did seem unusual.....and clearly avengers/next movie will have intelligent hulk which would be good to see...and great nod's to marvel Vs capcom super moves
and original ang lee cast would have been just as good for me i thought it was cast well... but i guess it's something we'll get used to.....ie punisher

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 pm

LOVED IT, its not a better movie than Iron Man, but as a Hulk fan, i enjoyed it better than i enjoyed Iron man, it was soooo awesome!!!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:53 pm

i liked it, though it did feel like things were missing that should be there

Steve Holt
Looks excited

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 am

Saw it sunday,was a pretty good movie.2003 film felt more like a hulk movie than this one.

2003 film had way better special effects
Hulk was a bit to small,and the colour was a bit to dark
Spoiler:
I think when that guy was helping him make the abomination and got that blow to his head you could see it pulsating ''LEADER ?''.Also did not like how hulk was a huge push over fighting the abomination,and could not stand up after a few hits,and the only way he beat him was chocking him from behind.

Over all a good movie with a decent end fight ,but 2003 film still has it over this one.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Saw it tonight and it rocked.

Wasn't expecting it to be that good but I was pleasantly surprised. Great nods to both the comics and TV show.

Pissed all over Ang Lee's version.

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by behemoth on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:27 am

Thought it was a great restart. You cared more for Banner in this one, and the design of Hulk was much better. This was like a Hulk comic brought to life.

Abomination was a worth foe, he was initially much stronger than Hulk.

behemoth

Number of posts : 197
Trading Status : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 pm

I had to use my Village $8 ticket (discount) won on Village Crack the Code promotion by July 17th and since I was hanging to see the Hulk, decided to go see it on Friday night. However Village has dropped the Hulk from all but Sunshine cinemas from last Thursday. That being said, I decided to go see the film at Chadstone Hoyts anyhow.

I REALLY enjoyed this film. I was afraid of it being a poor film but I would rank this up there with Iron Man if not for my perception of the CGI in this Hulk film. That being said, I enjoyed this more than Iron Man because (a) I've never been a reader of the Iron Man comics, and (b) there were just so many nods to Hulk lore in this that I picked up on; nods to the tv series, Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno, Stan Lee, Stark Industries and Shield, the Helicopter scene from The Ultimates, the cave scene from Hulk: Gray, the whole Mr. Blue/Mr. Green communication from Bruce Jone's Return of the Monster run, the best joke in the film - the appearance of the purple pants, etc.

Again, I only felt this film was let down by the CGI. I felt this Hulk was an infinitely better looking model but the sfx of the Hulk in Ang Lee's film looked much more three-dimensional than this version; this may have been down to the relatively lighter shade of green utilised, the majority of Hulk scenes occurring in the dark/night, don't know - perhaps one of the film-makers amongst us may comment.

It will be interesting to see what edits/cuts come out on DVD as Banner never talks to the psychiatrist in the movie (versus the opening scene featured in one of the trailers), the scene where General Ross is taken to task for another of his bio-experiments going out of control was not seen, and none of the walking through the snow scenes were in the film I saw - therefore this is clearly content shot that was taken out of the feature release.

Definitely in my top ten Superhero films, and absolutely redeemed the Hulk franchise from the last film adaptation. It is a pity this hasn't been and apparently won't be getting the patronage it deserves.

Spoiler:
The Hulk has his foot on the chest/ribcage of the Abomination both before and after the scene mentioned and when the shot pans out again, after the Hulk's finishing move, the Abomination is clearly breathing in and out. I don't think Hulk killed him.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Finally saw it on Wednesday.

I thought it was just ok. I enjoyed it, but I did feel a bit let down. It seemed to be mainly a rehash of the first one, as far as the plot went. I wish the Abomination had come in earlier...I wanted to see the Hulk have his ass handed to him, then come back and learn how to fight properly. Still, the fight between the two of them was pretty good.

I'd love to see a superhero film just jump straight into it though. Less of the origin stuff, for both the heroes and villains. And more of the hero learning or discovering the way to overcome.

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:43 pm

Pixo wrote:... I only felt this film was let down by the CGI. I felt this Hulk was an infinitely better looking model but the sfx of the Hulk in Ang Lee's film looked much more three-dimensional than this version; this may have been down to the relatively lighter shade of green utilised, the majority of Hulk scenes occurring in the dark/night, don't know - perhaps one of the film-makers amongst us may comment.
Well, the CGI in the first film was done by ILM (who, for the uninitiated, are THE best CGI house on Earth), while in TIH they went with a MUCH cheaper company (the crew who worked on AvP:R).

TIH's Hulk is a LOT less anatomically correct (in terms of musculature, skin texture, physical properties), and in particular, his face is too "rubbery", changing from "angry monster" face in battle to "Ang Lee-style face" in the cave with Betty - which shows a complete change in facial structure, as opposed to change in expression.

All the signs of an inferior company's work.

Pixo wrote:It will be interesting to see what edits/cuts come out on DVD as Banner never talks to the psychiatrist in the movie (versus the opening scene featured in one of the trailers), the scene where General Ross is taken to task for another of his bio-experiments going out of control was not seen, and none of the walking through the snow scenes were in the film I saw - therefore this is clearly content shot that was taken out of the feature release.
Yeah, apparetly there's 70 minutes cut out of the final theatrical version (according to the director himself).

You know the updated origin in the credits? That was actually shot in FULL, and was not intended as a flashback sequence initially. The film then carried on for half an hour before where the final film actually starts in Brazil.

Banner's trip to the arctic was just one sequence in that period between the origin and him ending up in Brazil that was lost.

Apparently ALL 70 minutes of deleted scenes will feature on the upcoming Blu-ray release in November (with only a select few chosen to be on the DVD).

But don't expect a longer cut of the film (even with the 70 being on the BD, and Norton's insistance that 15 minutes should be put back in), as Leterier has stated that the theatrical cut of the film is the FINAL cut in his eyes.

Pixo wrote:
Spoiler:
The Hulk has his foot on the chest/ribcage of the Abomination both before and after the scene mentioned and when the shot pans out again, after the Hulk's finishing move, the Abomination is clearly breathing in and out. I don't think Hulk killed him.
Yeah, I paid EXTRA attention to that the 2nd time I saw it, and I STILL don't know WTF happened... No

They totally ballsed up whatever that was supposed to be, because it was as clear as mud on a cloudy, moonless night. Suspect

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2