NEW ACTOR FOR CONAN HAS BEEN CAST -WHAT A JOKE!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: NEW ACTOR FOR CONAN HAS BEEN CAST -WHAT A JOKE!!!

Post by Hemish on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:54 pm

Its a tough one this one.
I just dont see tee the need to remake this at all.
The first Conan was awesome and still a movie I can watch anytime.
I hope the movie turns out ok, I can see it getting panned regardless of what its like though.

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:54 pm

Except it's not a remake, it's a new adaptation and interpretation of the Robert E. Howard source material. And there is plenty of room for that given that the Arnie film was a very, very loose adaptation of Howard's Conan, and as director Millius has said on many occasions, he hadn't even read Howard's Conan stories, and was instead more interested in making his own mythological 'viking movie', with quite a bit of the history of Genghis Khan and other historical warriors mixed in for flavour. For example a lot of the dialogue - such as the whole 'what is best in life' bit were direct lifts from Khan, as was the character of Subotai, who was one of Khan's primary generals, and thought to be about as close to being a compatriot and confidant that a man like Genghis Khan got. And that's just one of many examples.

I mean the only things from Oliver Stone's original script that remained, and which was adapted from Howard's stories, are the idea of the Tree of Woe, the 'from beyond' return of Valeria (which was actually lifted from Belit in the Howard canon), the names of Conan and Valeria, and the character of Thulsa Doom, who was actually a Kull villain, not a Conan one in the original stories, and was quite different from his filmic counterpart anyway, just as Valeria was. The scene where Conan falls into the crypt and takes the sword from the long dead ancient king is very loosely taken from a L. Sprague de Camp story, not from Howard as many mistakenly think as well. Everything else - Conan's village being destroyed, his slavery, his being trained as a warrior in the east, subotai, the snake cult of set, his father's sword, King Osric and his princess daughter, and, well, everything else in the film, that was all made up just for the film. But most people who only really know the original film, and not the original stories, and aren't going to know that, which is going to be a problem for any new film to face.

Point is, there is plenty of room for a new adaptation of Howard's character, and hopefully one that's a little closer to the source material at that. Although even this version has decided to tell it's own story rather than adapt Howard's apparently, so who knows how that will actually work out in the long run. Momoa actually looks a lot more like Howard's vision of Conan than Arnie did, so I don't have an issue with the casting, but how the script and direction work out, that is still very much to be seen. As is just how Howard-like the whole thing will be, or whether it'll just be just as loose an adaptation of the character and world as the Arnie version was. I mean don't get me wrong, I love the Arnie Conan film, but there's plenty of room there for another take on Conan, and as such I hope they get this one right and give us a film worthy of the Conan name.

Personally I think they should have called it Conan the Cimmerian, as giving it the same title as the Arnie film just muddies the waters even more, and does the film no favours at all in my opinion, That teaser trailer didn't help matters much either, with that awful 'trailer guy' narration over the top, which just made the whole thing seem cheesy and cheap, which is exactly the wrong impression that you want to give for a film like this, particularly one with a 100 million dollar budget. But it is only a teaser, a badly done one, but still only a teaser. And the line that some are mocking online "I live, I love, I slay, and I am content" is a variation of a Robert E Howard line "I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content", so it seems that they are actually using bits of Howard text, which is an idea so crazy it might just work.

But fact is there isn't enough here to judge anything, so put me firmly in the 'wait and see' column. I hope it'll be worthwhile, but so far it is almost impossible to fairly judge or get any clear idea based on what little we have seen. So thinks one Conan obsessive anyhow...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by behemoth on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Good post Sledge Hammer! I am a R. E Howard Conan obsessive, too, and agree with your post. However I haven't seen the trailer yet.

What I can't work out is this: for anyone that has read a Howard Conan novel, how the hell can Hollywood screw it up??? Why the need to change the source material? It just beggars belief.

The hardest part would be to cast Conan.

behemoth

Number of posts : 197
Trading Status : 25
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm

That's a great question, for which I don't have an answer. I mean Hell, even the mostly illiterate hollywood machine need only look at the Dark Horse comic adaptations to see just how well those stories could be translated and put on film.

I mean outside of the odd language or racial quirk, which are just products of the time and culture they were written during, these stories really haven't aged at all, and still work and read as well today as they ever did. Personally if I had my way I'd love to see a film series that did the same kind of thing for a film series that the Dark Horse comics tried for the comic medium, that is to tackle the Howard stories in a rough chronological order, combining a couple where needed, and basically James Bonding it, giving us a new Conan film every couple of years, working their way through the original stories, with a bit of new 'connecting tissue' added to make the films flow better as if they were one long saga of Conan's adventures.

Alas, Hollywood does what hollywood does...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:27 pm

^^

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the DH comic adaptation is THE shiz .... or da bomb for the OG members Wink

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 pm

BoloMusashi wrote:A teaser trailer for the upcoming Conan movie - http://www.slashfilm.com/conan-barbarian-teaser-trailer/

Trailer looks interesting.

As mentioned above, he is small compared to Arnie, but he's still pretty buff:

He was a Baywatch lad many moons ago

Momoa's SGA figure from DST

I love my Neca Conan figures Very Happy

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mse6 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:56 pm

"Conan for a new generation"...Arnie for us oldies.

mse6
Technical Admin

Number of posts : 273
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mousedroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun May 08, 2011 9:43 am

The new Conan trailer - http://www.slashfilm.com/conan-barbarian-trailer/

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemish on Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperPoweredNews/news/?a=42146

Saw this this morning, looked cool

Hemish
Likes a good dead camel pillow

Number of posts : 902
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile http://www.katoots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top