Review of The Phantom Menace!!!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Review of The Phantom Menace!!!

Post by TheGoodDr on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:58 am

Feeling bored and want a nice hearty chuckle? Check out this 70 minute (that's right, 70 minutes), review of Star Wars, Episode 1, The Phantom Menace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI&feature=related

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Review of The Phantom Menace!!!

Post by DroothR on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:20 am

I've seen this before, and can attest to it being WELL worth the time to watch IN FULL.

Cool

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:24 am

Saw this a few days ago part1 was enough for me.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:25 am

I've watched the first three, plus Part 1 of his "Star Trek: Nemesis" review. S'ok.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:55 am

Yeah watched it, it was funny until the part where the randoms were describing the characters without describing what they were wearing or what their role in the movie was, total set up and i got bored....

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Haha brilliant, loved it.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I didn't know Tom Brokaw was that much of a Star Wars fan.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:19 am

The review for Attack of the Clones is up - http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/04/90-minute-star-wars-attack-of-the-clones-video-review/

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 am

This oughta be good.

Edit 1: Holy crap it's 90 minutes long.

Edit 2: Well, the whole premise behind it being a funny creepy weirdo review is there, though I'm over that bit and kinda sick of the torturing and killing women thing he seems to think is funny. Sure, one random reference to something like that is amusing but hearing about it over and over is annoying.
That aside, it was pretty good if you like hearing someone pick apart everything you knew was wrong with the movie, as well as picking up on other things you never realised were terrible about it.

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 pm

TheSweetestThing wrote:
Edit 2: Well, the whole premise behind it being a funny creepy weirdo review is there, though I'm over that bit and kinda sick of the torturing and killing women thing he seems to think is funny. Sure, one random reference to something like that is amusing but hearing about it over and over is annoying.

Yeah that and the clown references kinda creeped me out - damn clowns.

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

"They invented a potion that you can drink that makes you forget The Phantom Menace.....it's called Bleach" LMFAO

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Bahaha yes that was brilliant!

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Ok I just started watching it and to be honest, it was that bad that I had to switch it off. Seriously, if you're going to call someone an idiot, it helps to remember the old saying of "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Now don't get me wrong, Jar Jar is the worst thing to ever strike the Star Wars universe, but at the same time, anyone who thinks the movie makes no sense is an absolute moron- like the people who reportedly returned Fellowship of the Ring to a video store and complained that there was no ending to it.

The story does make sense- the short version
Spoiler:
Palpatine aligns himself with the trade federation as his Sith lord alter ego and attacks his own planet from behind the scenes as a false flag operation to get himself in a position to be able to start to overthrow the Republic complete with a ready made army to marketed as needed to combat the Star Wars equivalent of Al Qaeda.
Now there are some untold stories and unanswered questions such as
Spoiler:
how did Palpatine manage to mire the Cancellor in a corruption frameup while installing corrupt senior bureaucrats? What's Palpatine's connection to Plageus the Wise? Who is Master Cypher Dias?
Now certainly someone needs to tell these stories at some point, but that does not mean that the story makes no sense.

Honestly, I wonder if this guy is a part of AOL's traditional demographic.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Shocka on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Yeah... you're going to want to watch the whole thing. He goes into pretty specific detail as to how it makes no sense, and is really hilarious to boot. In addition to both films making no sense (and they really, really don't) they're riddled with bad storytelling and awful filmmaking, and he nails both of them 100%.

Shocka

Number of posts : 522
Trading Status : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I like how he shows a picture of revenge of the fallen.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:35 pm

As much as fans watch TPM and AOTC (and I'm a big a fan of Star Wars as anyone out there....have the Boba Fett tattoo to prove it) and tell themselves that they are enjoying what they're watching, the reality is, these two films are AWFUL, DREADFUL and BORING. The stories make no sense, have plot holes through them the size of Beggar's Canyon and completely ruin the mystical magic that was the Force in the OT.
If you won't watch the whole lot, then simply watch Part 9 of 9 of the AOTC Review. The intercutting of Yoda from ESB with the crap coming out of Lucas' mouth is priceless.
And man, if there's ever a guy in the world I'd love to punch in the face, Rick McCallum is that man!

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:53 pm

No they make sense, but they're not designed to be watched as individual movies any more than the individual movies of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy are. Now given, those movies still do work as self contained chapters without needing to watch the other 2, but at the same time they're not a tale of political intrigue either.

That's the thing, the movies are and they're not meant to make sens on their own any more than the individual movies of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy are meant to have individual beginnings and endings. What they're arguably designed to do is set up ROTS with all of the other two films simply being a very long buildup.

Is that going to be to everyone's taste? Of course not. Are they even going to be accessible to everyone? Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they don't make sense. It's not different to say Gasaraki, which if you were to take each episode on its own, appears to make no sense either- appears to being the operative term - whereas they're just components of a much larger story that needs to be watched in a more holistic context.

As for the Force, no they didn't destroy it, it was just put in an entirely different context. You're forgetting the different eras that both trilogies existed in and both situations which were involved. In the PT era, the Jedi were not only widespread, but the knowledge of what makes a Jedi a Jedi was far more informed to the point where it even informed widespread testing on who was a jedi.

To draw an analogy, Cyclops has a gene in his DNA which gives him super powers, but that doesn't make him lifting up his ruby quartz visor and taking out a small building with a single blast any less incredible.

The era which followed, in the OT saw the Jedi outlawed as terrorists and all testing equipment shut down officially, and so the biological aspects of the Jedi simply wouldn't have been as widely discussed- in fact depending on how well known metachloreans were, it may have disappeared from the public consciousness altogether.

But there's an even more simple explanation as to why Obiwan didn't ever bring them up with Luke. When Anakin was being discovered, the question was about whether he had force potential and so testing jargon was going to come up. When luke came about though, they knew just from being Anakin's son that he'd be powerful in the force- what's said in ROTJ makes that abundantly clear. And so,it was never a case of testing him, which meant the testing jargon simply was never going to come up. And so when Luke asked about the Force (not metachloreans), he was told what the Force was and it simply was never mentioned.

Honestly the whole video fells like a response to someone saying "ESB IS TEH SUK" and merely responds with "NA U N TEH PRIKWEL TRILUJI R TEH SUK".

The reality is that with the exception of Jar Jar (who isn't as annoying as people make out) the whole hexalogy works wonderfully. Are the people who claim that ESB is boring idiots- sure, but so is anyone else who claims that the prequels were way worse than they are. Are they perfect, of course not, no movie is- heck the OT was so almost there that Lucas went back and redid them altering entire scenes and adding others. But they're far from the cheap crap that are the Transformers live action movies.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:15 pm

I couldn't care either way. I was born before the PT, and after the OT. I watched Episode I as an 11 year old, and got into Star Wars sometime between I & II. I genuinely like both of them, but I like them for the same reasons why I like things like Encino Man, Domokun and the Spice Girls.
I'm still a nerdy little 10 year old girl deep down, and these movies, despite the non-sensical-ness of it all, spoke to me on a level at that age that the OT did to kids when it came out. The difference? The OT was special - and always will be.

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 pm

No, they don't. To suggest that these films need to be watched as part of the whole six is exactly the point I make whereby fans kid themselves into thinking that these are good films and that they make sense.
There prequels contradict almost everything we know about the Force from the OT.
Again, I suggest you watch these reviews in their entirety and you'll see what nonsene these films really are.
And this whole "jar jar" thing is really old. Jar Jar is pretty much left out of these reviews and once again the fan boys who can't accept Criticism of anything Star Wars continually bring out the Jar Jar card and their whole "I'm sick to death of people complaining about him" argument. No one is saying Jar Jar is the problem. The STORY (or lack there of) are the real problems with these two films.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:35 pm

And yet the story works fine. Yes ist's a different style of storytelling to the first one where everything was out in the open but so what? Why is it so out of kilter- because Palpatine was an insidious villain with such an elaborate and multi-faceted scheme (designed to give him absolute power and give him a ready made army to wipe out the jedi with)? I guess then you kind of missed the part where Palpatine had infiltrated the rebels enough in ROTJ to slip them false info to destroy them in a way that would only further his power.

There's plenty of story in the first 2 movies, it's just intrigue based. Furthermore exactly how does the PT contradict the OT in terms of the force- that's a bit like saying that current being the flow of electrons completely contradicts the notion of voltge being an electromagnetic radiation field.

As for your point that they don't are you kidding me? On an emotional level they completely inform how torn Yoda is about Luke's training and the way he acts and the torrent of dare I say it, fear over Luke turning to the Dark Side- except that rather than feel it at the beginning of ROTJ, you feel it right back at ESB. That's not including the way it informs everything Obiwan does in ANH.

Just because it's not your style of storytelling doesn't mean that the depth still isn't there.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 am

The fact that Lawrence Kasdan (the screen writier for ESB) is quoted as saying that the midichloreans ruined the premise of the Force established in the OT holds no credence then?

No, there is NO story in the first 2...especially the first film. Answer this Q....who is the first film about? Anakin? A character we don't meet until 45mins into the film? Obi-Wan? Someone who says virtually nothing the whole time other than to complain? Qui-Gon? Amidala? Sidious?

And what, you never noticed the replication of the SAME plot device in TPM.....where a broken-down vehicle is considered the tension creator? This happens FOUR times in TPM!!!

TPM is a throw-away film.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by the dirty digger on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 am

I only began to appreciate TPM after AOTC came out. I really enjoyed AOTC. I remember when it finished I was left wanting more.
I try not to see them as individual movies but as one whole story and not bother dissecting them but just enjoy them as the stories of a wonderful fantasy universe.

And just while we're here....

Brand New Star Wars Complete DVD Movie Collection!!!

...in case you don't know what we're talking about. Very Happy

the dirty digger
Saving the world...one MILF at a time

Number of posts : 353
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 am

TheGoodDr wrote:The fact that Lawrence Kasdan (the screen writier for ESB) is quoted as saying that the midichloreans ruined the premise of the Force established in the OT holds no credence then?

Kasdan saying that has limited credence. He didn't pen the first one, he didn't come up with the concept of it- Lucas did and it's his baby. It's no different to Kevin J Anderson or Timothy Zahn expressing an opinion on a creative decisions Lucas has made with the Star Wars universe. All midichloreans do is tie a person biologically into the force- they don't create it. They don't change the fact that the force is still what Obiwan described it as, any more than the X-gene changes the nature of mutants in the marvel comics or how terrifying their powers can truly be. Just because something was never mentioned to begin with doesn't mean that it wasn't already established.

TheGoodDr wrote:No, there is NO story in the first 2...especially the first film. Answer this Q....who is the first film about? Anakin? A character we don't meet until 45mins into the film? Obi-Wan? Someone who says virtually nothing the whole time other than to complain? Qui-Gon? Amidala? Sidious?

Actually yes, it's entirely about Sidious- something which you're fairly certain of by the end of the movie and which completely makes sense with ROTS. Everything else around it ammounts to subplots. As for no story, are you kidding me, that's like saying that the Bourne Identity is just some guy running around aimlessly.

TheGoodDr wrote:And what, you never noticed the replication of the SAME plot device in TPM.....where a broken-down vehicle is considered the tension creator? This happens FOUR times in TPM!!!

TPM is a throw-away film.

Ok so one plot element is slightly questionable- that doesn't automatically destroy the intrigue of the entire film. That entire argument is like "I hate Jar Jar" Mk II.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 am

Take a look at the making-of doc on the TMP DVD. You don't need to be a genius to see the looks of stunned disappointment on McCallum, Burt and Knolls after their first screening of the film.

TheGoodDr

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I've said before at some point that one of the problems I had with the new ones were that they were different types of movies. more kids adventure stuff like "shenanigans in the robot factory" c3po's head swapping bodies etc............movies with characters to sell merchandise as opposed to movies with characters...the whole Gungan race seemed to be there to appeal to kids.... anyway I'll eventually watch the vid

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:08 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next