Laptops - name your beast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Laptops - name your beast

Post by TheSweetestThing on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:19 am

Well this is vaguely gaming related.

My laptop's hard drive died yesterday. I'm going to be replacing it today, with any luck.
This is the second thing I've had to replace in it since buying it (back in Feb 07), though the RAM needed replacing as soon as I bought it (1GB in a Vista-running 'gaming' laptop? HUH? 4GB thanks...).

Anyway, my question is, if you have a laptop - what do you have and what are your thoughts?
I didn't want to buy another Toshiba, but after consulting my nerdy friends of SOGC, it appears they and Asus are the best of the bunch.

Listing the other brands out there, HP/Compaq, Acer, Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Mac....all leave a lot to be desired in my experience.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Laptops - name your beast

Post by drspleen on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:40 am

I've got an HP from late '06, I wouldn't recommend them either. It's getting to be time for a new one for me as well.

Personally I'd steer clear of Toshiba, due to the experiences of a friend. I was thinking of getting a Dell XPS Studio, I've been tossing up between the 13 and 16". The main things for me were decent gfx (though I don't really game on the PC too much anymore), eSata, and the 16" has a full 1080p display.

About a year ago I was hearing good things about MSi gaming lappys. But I haven't seen any in Oz that are that great (they always seem to be last seasons models)...

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I have an Acer, bought in May of 2008.

It's an Aspire 5920G.
- Dual Core 1.66Ghz
- 2GB RAM
- 160GB HDD
- Blu-ray drive
- Bluetooth

So far it's had a catastrophic harddisc failure, which nessecitated return to factory (under warranty) in Feb of last year, and is now exhibiting the same symptoms again.

Now, this may sound like I'd suggest NOT going with an Acer, BUT my previous laptop was an Acer also, and it's still kicking strong.

So maybe it's only recent Acers (or 2008 Acers) that suck.

Oh, and her name is "Blue". Smile

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1511
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:49 am

Toshie's name is DoomTop. Hand in hand with DoomBox, my tower which has the old school Doom logo stuck on the top of the Antec 900 case.

Generally its been pretty good considering how much I bash it around. But I really hate the plasticness. I'm actually considering a Tecra next time (I have a Satellite) as my dad is using one for work after having gone through an NEC and some other piece of crap within the space of 6 months.

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mse6 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:58 am

I had an ACER...their support service is totally F&*K*D. Performed well but had far too much bloatware and battery life was poor, but build quality was good.

I switched to a Dell XPS laptop...and got the boss a DELL Inspiron.
Bothe are great, perform well and the XPS is 20months old but still performs brilliantly. The new XPS systems even better. and have true 16:10 dimension screens to support their HD/blu-ray formats.

mse6
Technical Admin

Number of posts : 273
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mousedroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:36 pm

not really sure how the gaming dell's perform for games but at my work i buy dell laptops because they are generally a bit tougher and the warranty is great (they come out and fix it on the spot)

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:17 pm

Give IBM reconditioned laptops a go. I got one last year with the Rudd student bonus- a Thinkpad T43 for just under $400.

It's got a 60 gig drive, 1.5 gig ram, and a 1.7ghz centrino processor. Obviously a desktop is my main beast in terms of when I need grunt, but this laptop holds its own pretty well, even with things like MAME.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top