Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: AVATAR

Post by Pixo on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:00 am

Dabigfella wrote:I enjoyed it, I just thought that pic was funny, and you used way too many big words pixo! Wink

Firstly, I thought the pic was funny too, but then I haven't seen Pocahontas.

Secondly, I think I read somewhere once that there are only six original story ideas.

Thirdly, Stan Lee reckons reading comics improved my vokaboolary, vocabularee, words and stuff. 'Nuff said.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:50 am

excelsior!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1041
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:41 am

It's getting harder and harder to know what people really want out of these tentpole movies.
Over exposure is the ONLY thing I didn't like about Avatar. I am a huge Cameron fan and think the only truly weak movies he has made are Piranha II: The Spawning (doesn't really count does it?) and Titanic.
The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Terminator 2... to a lesser extent True Lies were all fun/scary/action packed spectacles.
For a movie that cost that much to make I was surprised that Cameron still took so many risks. Everyone wrote Avatar off before they even saw a single frame and then it achieves the unthinkable and blows minds everywhere, makes 2.7 billion in the process and truly shows, in comparison to other SFX directors how it truly is done.
the first 30 minutes was better than the Star Wars prequels and Transformers franchise combined.
The Lord Of The Rings and Batman Begins/The Dark Knight are still pretty cool though.

diabolikprime

Number of posts : 324
Trading Status : 14
Registration date : 2010-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:50 am

For the record Dances With Wolves beat GoodFellas for the best picture/director oscar.
I don't think I know anyone that thinks of Dances With Wolves as a modern day classic.
For god's sake Ellen D'Generes is a voter of the Academy.
Simply a matter of opinion.

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCollector on Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:00 pm

i finally saw AVATAR the other day & , no joke, fell asleep halfway through. i like a great variety of genres but i think that with this movie, i just felt disconnected with the Na'vi characters because they were CG. i did finish watching it later and i still don't know why people were killing themselves to go back to Pandora

TheCollector

Number of posts : 230
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-09

View user profile http://card.mygamercard.net/wxIRONMANxw.html

Back to top Go down

Post by bowspearer on Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:08 pm

I actually have to say that I saw it twice- the first time in 3D on the big screen and the 2nd time in 2D on the small screen and both times I loved it. Admittedly I've never seen Pocahontas but I honestly have to say that the story is compelling on so many different levels and refreshingly different to alot of the big budget worthless crap like Michael Bay's Transformers.

The story works on so many different levels, as a sweeping statement on the short-sighted and amoral greed of multinational corporations (mass polution by large corps is nothing new- can't remember if it was Rio Tinto or BHP but one of the 2 was in trouble in PNG a few years back for dumping copper mine refuse into the local water supply and poisoning several villages), as an almost 2nd coming of age and rebirth story, a tale of military ethics and of overcoming impossible odds.

To everyone claiming it's not original, I have this much to say. I forget the exact number of different types of stories out there, but I think that its only 6 different types of stories which can be told. That means that the 7th story ever told if it is 6 different basic types, was a rehash of a previous story. In short practically every single story told out there, is a rehash of something else.

Anyone not putting factoring that in, is seriously getting a little too pretentious about films and storytelling in general.

bowspearer
Kickin' it old skool

Number of posts : 242
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2010-01-28

View user profile http://z7.invisionfree.com/Kickin_It_Old_School/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by diabolikprime on Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:50 am

bowspearer wrote:To everyone claiming it's not original, I have this much to say. I forget the exact number of different types of stories out there, but I think that its only 6 different types of stories which can be told. That means that the 7th story ever told if it is 6 different basic types, was a rehash of a previous story. In short practically every single story told out there, is a rehash of something else.

Anyone not putting factoring that in, is seriously getting a little too pretentious about films and storytelling in general.

Sweet Jesus!... Amen to that!
I work as a projectionist and have seen Avatar too many time to count. It's just entertainment.

diabolikprime

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top