Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by The Dr Of Style on Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 pm

Caught tonight.......rule #1 go to a 3D session.....first movie I've seen using this (apart from Universal Studio's things in the 90's)........loved it.......think of all the Naboo planet wide screen shots from Starwars ep 1.......thoughout the whole movie but close to the action.....technology has gone along way the cgi is the cleanest I've seen.....lip movements much better than any PS3 cut scene..... Story?.....well a little obvious (matrix/braveheart) but still a fun ride.....amazing how the 300mill was ground breaking on titanic.....used completely differently here but sets a new standard in quality

The Dr Of Style
Has Zero Offence

Number of posts : 1454
Trading Status : 45
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://cglcustompaint.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: AVATAR

Post by mse6 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:33 am

yes...but is the movie anygood (ie imagine watching it on a analog TV at home in stereo

mse6
Technical Admin

Number of posts : 273
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mousedroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:43 am

yeah thats my main issue with it. all style no substance isnt something i want to pay money for...

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:31 am

I don't get the complaints about the story, I really don't. Was the story strikingly original or revolutionary? No. But it still had a more engaing story and more character and more imagination on display than 95% of big budget popcorn films ever seem to achieve these days. It told the story it needed to and wanted to and did so well, and as a film fan that's all I'm really after.

I mean compare the story and characters of Avatar to the other big popcorn event films of this year, things like Transformers 2, G.I. Joe, Star Trek, 2012, Wolverine, Harry Potter, Twilight and Terminator Salvation, and I think it stands up far better than, well, pretty much all of them really.

And as for the sin of not being original, Aliens was just a combination of 'men-on-a-mission' war movies combined with the original Alien film, The Abyss was another spin on Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Terminator 2 was merely The Terminator amped up to 11, True Lies was an american James Bond, and Titanic was Romeo & Juliet on a boat. In the same way that Star Wars was The Hidden Fortress with a sci-fi makeover, and A Fistful of Dollars was a western version of Jojimbo. Yeah, so what? They're still all great films, and great film experiences, that I personally loved at the time, and still do. Fact is, you can point to pretty much any other film you might care to name and break it down as merely the sum of familiar parts. But in film it's not the parts that matter, it's the execution, and how well it all comes together. It isn't just the story, but how that story is told and whether it works that really counts. And I honestly don't see many directors that do that job as well as James Cameron does, and has again here with Avatar. Especially on such a grand scale.

Honestly, if you like sci-fi and popcorn cinema done right, then in my opinion this is about as good as it gets.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:38 am

I'm not saying it doesn't have a storyline, was more expanding on mse6's question. I've heard plenty of "my god that movie was "awesome" but when I ask its always about the 3D or the pretty looks so I am still waiting for a convincing argument about the storyline being any good.
Comparing to a lot of those 2009 movie releases was a bit retarded imo as several were just an expanding chapter on a bigger story.

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 am

Comparing a new 'event' film to the standard storytelling quality of previous recent event films is retarded now? Each new film still has to establish (or re-establish) it's characters and universe and the story it is chosing to tell, regardless of whether it is building on something new or building on foundations previously laid, or else it will fail as a filmic experience. In my retarded opinion anyhow. Smile

Sounds more to me like someone has already made up their mind about the worth of the film and it's well told self contained story without even seeing it. Something that seems to be epidemic online in regards to this film in particular to a degree that I have rarely, if ever, seen infect other big budget popcorn films in recent years. It's almost as if people want it to be a filmic failure, to prove some abstract superior point, but truth is, it's not a failure, not even close. It does exactly what it set out to do, tell an entertaining popcorn sci-fi story, one of the palettes that it uses to help do that just so happens to be some damn impressive fx work is all. This film may not be startlingly original as a core idea, but it is anything but hollow. But hey, to each their own.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 am

mse6 wrote:yes...but is the movie anygood (ie imagine watching it on a analog TV at home in stereo

Yes story is great better than most before it imo,one of the best films i have ever seen took me about 15 mins to come back to reality afterwards.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:19 am

i havent seen it yet, but I wasnt impressed from the ttrailer. Then taslking to a friend iof mine, and based solely on the trailer, i predicted the story of the film from beginning to end. the story isnt just cliche, its painfully so.

I mean the hard to find rock is called Unobtainium for cryin out loud.

Ill wait for DVD

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Watched it last night (in 3D).....and loved it. I went in with low expectations (mainly from some of the poor 'story' reviews that I have read) and was just completely involved in the film from the opening shot. Throught the film I kept thinking to myself..."I wish a were a Na'vi".....they really are beautifully protrayed.

If you see it for the first time on DVD, I guarantee you'll be disappointed with yourself for not seeing on the big screen.

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:20 pm

Hoping to catch a 3D session this week (next week the latest).

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Xenaphobia on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 am

Good movie. Great CGI, so-so story and acting.

I was really hoping that Pandora would be more of an "alien" world. Almost all of the creatures had an Earth equivalent (horse, bird, rhino, hyena, etc) and the Navi themselves were incredibly humanoid in their appearance and their culture, society and inter-personal relationships. I never really had a huge impression that they were truly "alien". They just seemed like some kind of lost tribe on Earth who painted themselves blue (and had a history of breeding with cats).

I was also hoping for more from the characters. Everyone was cookie-cutter stock standard character. The wilful warrior princess. The damaged warrior. The soulful scientist. The reluctant fighter. The madman solcier. Etc, etc. None of the characters were particularly unique to me.

At the end of the day, it felt like I'd seen it all before, but at the same time, it was like I'd only even seen it when not wearing glasses. With this movie, everything obviously looked a LOT better, but I'm not sure it really provided anything "new".

All that typed, I'll probably be seeing it again with some other friends, so it's obviously not that bad. And it was FAR, FAR, FAR better than the likes of 2012, New Moon, Transformers 2 or Wolverine.

Cheers.

Xenaphobia

Number of posts : 1327
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-04-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spitcurlboy on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 pm

its pocahontas with giant blue cats instead of native americans

having to wear the 3d glasses for 3hours was annoying

spitcurlboy

Number of posts : 100
Trading Status : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMyth on Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:36 pm

bloody fantastic. haters can F#@! off.

grin from ear to ear, an absolute visual treat!

Last edited by TheMyth on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total

TheMyth
Busted by Adam & Jamie

Number of posts : 935
Trading Status : 33
Registration date : 2008-03-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:34 pm

sure it was Dances With Smurfs, but it was quite entertaining

Steve Holt
Looks excited

Number of posts : 485
Trading Status : 21
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ragericho on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 am

TheMyth wrote:bloody fantastic. haters can F#@! off.

grin from ear to ear, an absolute visual treat!

Right on, Avatar>haters.

ragericho
Loves (and I mean loves) his vegetables

Number of posts : 1244
Trading Status : 30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:29 pm

I'd just like to put forward that I don't hate, I'm just not interested. ^_^
What I hate is my Dad going ZOMG BEST MOVIE EVER WHY AREN'T YOU GOING TO SEE IT! GO NOW! DO IT! OMG WHY NOT?! etc -_-;

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:21 am

went to go see this on the weekend and the sessions were sold out :S will have to try again this weekend!

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by drspleen on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:23 pm

just got back from it. count me as a hater... big spectacle, but super cheesy...

drspleen
Brother to DrPancreas

Number of posts : 551
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mse6 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:51 am

saw it last night in IMAX 3D.
"Great visual experience".....Dances with Blue Wolves storyline.
Must see in 3D cinema but will not see it again.

mse6
Technical Admin

Number of posts : 273
Trading Status : 1
Registration date : 2008-03-10

View user profile http://www.mousedroid.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mahzian on Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:58 am

just saw it today in 3d and it was fantastic! the story was solid and the visuals were amazing but the characters really made it for me, found myself teary eyed on a few occasions.

Mahzian
/\ Giant Trunk Between Legs

Number of posts : 1043
Trading Status : 28
Registration date : 2008-05-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Something funny i found:

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Deno on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Does this mean Avatar 2 will be like star wars the empire strikes back, military and the corporation come back with a stronger force ? hehe Smile

Deno

Number of posts : 102
Trading Status : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pixo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:31 am

I'm interested to read and hear all this feedback incl. outside this forum re the derivative story filmed here as Avatar.

Is the 2006 Sam Worthington film reimagining MacBeth in a gangland setting not judged as derivative because it shares its name with the source material?

Would the claims re Avatar therefore be withdrawn if the film were called Pocahontas?

Everyone raved about Dances with Wolves when it came out. It won 7 oscars including Best Picture. Why was not this claim made about that film. Why not also re The Last Samurai?

I liked it. I agree it was indulgent and could've been edited, but I didn't enjoy any less what I was seeing for seeing more of it.

I thought there were far less logic holes in this than in Star Trek which everyone seemed to love. In fact the only "what the.." I left with was why the Mech had an in-scale hand-held dagger instead of some integrated feature of the Mech for the same functionality.

Again, I saw it in 2D. I think I'll see it again in 3D. I'd have no hestitation in having and rewatching this on DVD.

Pixo

Pixo
Aussie slang for Pixie

Number of posts : 800
Trading Status : 29

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1074937977

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:44 am

I enjoyed it, I just thought that pic was funny, and you used way too many big words pixo! Wink

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by simmo on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:46 am

Pixo wrote:
Is the 2006 Sam Worthington film reimagining MacBeth in a gangland setting not judged as derivative because it shares its name with the source material?

Well, re-doing Shakespeare's never really derivative. It's a reinterpretation, but I know what you mean. (Cue the arts worker on the boards)

simmo
Fap Happy Daffy

Number of posts : 998
Trading Status : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-15

View user profile http://ozfigurama.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next