2009 OzFigurama Toy Awards - WINNERS ON PAGE 3

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2009 OzFigurama Toy Awards - WINNERS ON PAGE 3

Post by Jor-El on Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi everyone

For those who were part of the OzFigures and Figurama toy community, you may recall me organising Toy of the Year awards for the forums a few year ago.

I think it would be fun to rekindle the flame and bring an annual award vote to this forum. As such, I invite you all to take part in the first annual OzFigurama Toy Awards, version 2009.

I've probably tried to make voting overly complex (remember the monthly nominations I used to ask for? Razz), so this time, the rules are simple. KISS theory applies here. Simply vote for your favourite toys for this year. Most of the votes will most likely be for toys released this year (which is the aim of the awards), but if some older toys released last year sneak in, well, so be it.

So, let's try and outline the rules. If anyone has any questions, PM me and I'll update the "rules". I guess I'll act as the final word on the rules for now.

- How do I vote?
From the categories below, simply name what you think was the best toy in a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice format. Your first choice is awarded 3 points. Your second choice 2 points. Your third choice 1 point. These will be collated with all other votes and the highest scoring toy in each category, wins.

- How do I submit a vote?
Simply email me at ofta@iinet.net.au and I'll tally your votes for the categories you have voted for.

- How long do I have to vote?
Voting is open from now and will run until the end of January 10, 2009. I will tally the votes and post the awards soon after. Maybe a grand reveal on Australia Day.

- Why should I vote?
There's no gun to your head. It's simply for fun. Smile

- Do I have to vote in every category?
Ideally, yes. But you may have not have interest in all categories. But remember, every vote counts!

- Do I have to vote for 3 toys in each category?
Ideally, yes. If you think something was the 3rd best toy, every point counts.

- I have an idea that would add to this. What should I do?
Send me a PM, or better yet, email me (ofta@iinet.net.au). I don't want to go over-elaborate with this (particularly as it's late in the year), but if it's a good idea, I'd love to hear it. Bear in mind I'm trying to keep the categories simple and easy to vote on.

Ok, so, on with the categories.

TOY OF THE YEAR
What were the best toys of the year? Any size, any shape. Any creed, any colour. You choose YOUR favourites. Easy, right?
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2006 - Masterpiece-04 Convoy (Takara); 2005 - Marvel Legends series 10 BAF Sentinel (Toy Biz)

LINE OF THE YEAR
What were the best lines that caught your eye in 2009? What line continually produced awesomeness after awesomeness?
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2006 and 2005 - Marvel Legends (ToyBiz)

COMPANY OF THE YEAR
Now, there's a need to pay attention on who has provided you with incredibly cool toys for the past 12 months. For the mint-on-carders, it's pretty easy... there'll be some kind of distinguishable logo that obscures the tidy artwork on the packaging. For those who set their figures free from their plastic prisons, well, you're good enough to remember who made it, right?
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2006 and 2005 - ToyBiz (now Marvel Toys)

SERIES OF THE YEAR
Some lines release figures in series format. You know, a group of figures get released at once, and you usually miss out on finding one and that then becomes your Holy Grail in an obsession that will see you in an eBay bidding war only to be outbid at the last second which then infuriates you as the only other auction has an insanely huge shipping cost but you relent and end up buying it only to see another auction pop up days later and go really cheaply while you wait three months for your overpriced figure to arrive... I digress. Yeah, so figures are traditionally released in series (although not all lines adhere to this method of release). What series was so top notch that it deserves to be awarded by the most esteemed of toy critiques on this humble forum? Oh, and sometimes, "series" are called "waves".
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS: 2006 - Marvel Legends Giant Man Series Wal*Mart Exclusive (Toy Biz); 2005 - Marvel Legends Apocalypse series 12 (Toy Biz)

CATEGORY SCRAPPED DUE TO LACK OF RELEVANCE

BEST ART-BASED FIGURE (COMIC/ARTWORK/GAMING)
We live in an age of awesome artwork, whether it be comic illustrators, game designers or just plain artists. Every second person we know seems to have artistic talent, and every third person has a Deviant Art account. A great majority of toys and figures are based on artwork (whether it be Spider-Man comics, South Park cartoons, Star Wars conceptual art, Halo character designs or Pixard animation). Just knock out the figures based on real-life people and vote on the rest here.
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS (COMIC-BASED): 2006 - Marvel Legends Wal*Mart Exclusive Giant Man BAF (Toy Biz); 2005 - Marvel Legends series 10 BAF Sentinel (Toy Biz)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (VIDEO GAME-BASED): 2006 - Street Fighter Round 4 Akuma (SOTA Toys); 2005 - award not held

BEST REALITY-BASED FIGURE (MOVIE/TV/SPORT/MUSIC)
Ok, so forget the cartoons. They're for kids. Whether you have a teen heartthrob that is forever immortalised in plastic or have been waiting for almost 2 decades to get some awesome Arnie Terminator figures, which figures released this year have not only captured an amazing likeness of their inspiration, but are also wickedly cool to play with? Ok, well, most of them are mini-statues, so which ones just look badass?
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:
PREVIOUS WINNERS (MOVIE-BASED): 2006 - Lord of the Rings Epic Scale Balrog (NECA); 2005 - Fantastic Four Series 1 Invisible Woman (Toy Biz)
PREVIOUS WINNERS (TV-BASED): 2006 - Transformers Masterpiece MP-04 Convoy (Takara); 2005 - Master of the Universe Mini-Statues Clawful (NECA)

BEST HIGH-END PIECE OF THE YEAR
Most of us can only afford figures, whether they be 6 inch or 3.75 inch... but there's some damn good stuff being made these days that cost more than a car servicing. Whether it be an amazing 12 inch figure with accessory upon accessory, or a statue that has captured the magnificence of it's inspiration, or maybe even a replica prop that allows us who can afford it to own something that is the spitting image of what our heroes have owned, we are currently in a time where anything imaginable is being made available to us. So even if you can't afford them, you may have noticed them and dreamt. And for those who can afford them... will you marry me?
1st CHOICE:
2nd CHOICE:
3rd CHOICE:

CUSTOM AWARD
So, don't like my categories, huh? Think you can do better? Well, you probably can, so here's your chance to give your own custom award. Whether it be "Best looking action figure with less than 10 per cent of body covered", or "Hairiest action figure award", or perhaps "Figure most likely to cause my demise", send them in. The best ones will be listed. Who am I kidding? I'll probably list them all. Razz

BIGGEST PAIN OF 2009?
Yeah, we love to collect what we collect. But sometimes there are painful moments. They stay with us, make us jaded and sometimes even lead us to giving up collecting certain things. Let's reflect on that, in some kind of cathartic manner, and expunge the demons by putting pen to paper (or in this day and age, fingers to keyboard) and let loose on what has pissed you off in the last year. No major rants, just a brief description. If there is a consensus, it'll be the winner. Otherwise, I'll just post some of the most interesting submissions.

BIGGEST JOY OF 2009
Now, we can't have good times without the bad. Life is all about peaks and troughs. Now that the yucky stuff is out of the way, what was the most awesome toy moment of 2009? What made you sit up and take notice? What made you jump in the air with glee? What put a smile on your dial and warmed the cockles of your heart? Again, I'll post a winner if consensus is met. Otherwise, it will be some of the more interesting stories.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO IN 2010?
It's a new decade, and with this, new optimism it brings. It's probably the most forgotten decade changeover of all time. Remember when the 70s became the 80s, and then the 80s became the 90s, which in turn became the megafest of a new century. This decade turnover is kinda... meh. Still, it's a new year, at the very least, so what are you looking forward to when it arrives?

YOUR OUT-OF-LEFT-FIELD TOY IDEA
Ever wonder why they can't make an ALF action figure line? Or how come Diff'rent Strokes was never made into a collectable line? I want my Conrad Bain action figure! He could double as Phillip Drummond or Arthur from Maude... Anyway, what action figures should be made, but will most likely never ever be made, unless you somehow start your own toy company? Of course, it won't take long for the company to go belly up due to your bad ideas, but dammit, nobody ever seems to capitalise on Woody Harrelson films enough to immortalise him in plastic!

Ok, so that's all I have. I'll update this post if there are any further ideas, so keep an eye out. Hope to see your votes soon! Remember the address - ofta@iinet.net.au.

Last edited by Jor-El on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 am; edited 11 times in total

Jor-El
Deserves a NicNatPaddywhack

Number of posts : 1265
Trading Status : 110
Registration date : 2008-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2009 OzFigurama Toy Awards - WINNERS ON PAGE 3

Post by Jor-El on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Just a bump to see if anyone is still interested in voting. No emails received. Sad

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:48 pm

Did even see this thread.....yeah, I'll vote Smile

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:18 pm

Yeah, while I saw the original post, I'm damned if I could find it again, I thought it had been deleted or something...

I too shall vote in the next 24 hours or so.

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:16 am

I had no idea this thread even existed o_o
I'll probably vote (poorly) sometime today at work when I'm ultra bored. Smile

TheSweetestThing
Only bows down for Droothr

Number of posts : 1536
Trading Status : 40
Registration date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:13 am

TheGoodDr wrote:Did even see this thread.....yeah, I'll vote Smile
Yeah, that's strange...

I hit this board EVERY day, and I only just saw this thread appear today... silent

I'll vote after work tonight. Smile

DroothR
Dark Denizen of Bleak City

Number of posts : 1510
Trading Status : 24
Registration date : 2008-03-09

View user profile http://droothr.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 am

Me too, this is the first time I've seen this, great idea, I will vote when I get home...

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

Number of posts : 2344
Trading Status : 101
Registration date : 2008-02-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:55 am

Idea Given that this thread was (seemingly) AWOL until now, perhaps we should extended the deadline a week into the New Year?

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:24 am

I'm noticing that every so often someone will post a thread and it just won't come up til they reply to it themselves.

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:12 am

Very strange that many did not see this. Good idea DroothR, I'll extend the deadline for voting until the end (midnight) of Sunday, January 10.

It's also an opportunity to add extra categories if people can suggest any more. I've added a high-end piece category, but there may be some more great ideas out there.

PM or email me (email preferred for this).

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:21 pm

Sent, hope you get a good turn out and looking forward to the results!

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:03 pm

yeah first I saw it was today. voting now!

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:24 pm

DroothR wrote:I'll vote after work tonight. Smile
My day sucked too hard. pale

I'll vote on the weekend.

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistix on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:25 am

Right, I'm going to give this a go.

Argh...my feeble memory! I have troubles rememebring what was released this year.

Artistix
So many hauls, so little time

Number of posts : 2290
Trading Status : 16
Registration date : 2008-04-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGoodDr on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:08 am

My results are in!

TheGoodDr
Lance Corporal in the Kiss Army

Number of posts : 1187
Trading Status : 100
Registration date : 2008-04-23

View user profile http://www.FiguresDirect.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSweetestThing on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:29 am

Yeah I'm looking at what I've bought (as I won't remember anything else that has been released) and many are figures that have not necessarily come out this year...

TheSweetestThing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Scream Man on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am

Me too. I didnt answer every category

The Scream Man
Something funny about gerbils and pussies..

Number of posts : 774
Trading Status : 11
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BoloMusashi on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 pm

It's been a very lean year for me

BoloMusashi
Man I'm Dumb

Number of posts : 1508
Trading Status : 105
Registration date : 2008-03-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sledge Hammer! on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm still trying to kick my memory into gear...

Sledge Hammer!
Never gets his package stimulated

Number of posts : 934
Trading Status : 35
Registration date : 2009-01-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dabigfella on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:36 pm

Me too but i managed every catagory, i didnt use just figs i got, but was impressed with 09 in general (even though i couldnt afford much of it)

Dabigfella
Mr Motu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

If anyone needs some ideas, check out Michael Crawford's website - http://www.mwctoys.com/. It has some great reviews of many different kinds of toys, and generally a good indication of what was released this year.

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DroothR on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Jor-El wrote:If anyone needs some ideas, check out Michael Crawford's website - http://www.mwctoys.com/. It has some great reviews of many different kinds of toys, and generally a good indication of what was released this year.
Also:
- Articulated Discussion's reviews
- OAFE.net

DroothR

Back to top Go down

Post by Jor-El on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Just a reminder that you have until next Sunday the 10th to get your votes in.

I have a few in already, and there's some interesting results thus far. Still, we need more (there may be a few tie-breakers that I'll have to call, so the more votes, the better!), so make sure you get your votes in ASAP.

Also, remember to include your handle when emailing me, so I know whom to quote for the last few categories.

And I think I'll scrap the "series of the year"... it seems less pertinent these days.

If anyone has any ideas for extra categories, it's not too late to let me know!

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far, and I look forward to getting some more votes and then presenting the awards later this month!

Jor-El

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Holt on Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:46 pm

how bout Worst figure you got for a BAF piece

Steve Holt
Looks excited